|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(c) Hester's diary.
(d) Dimmesdale's diary.
2. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) Her nanny.
(b) Her obedience to Hester.
(c) The appearance of the governor.
(d) The gardener gives her what she wants.
3. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
(a) Salem Cemetery.
(b) Old Church burial-ground.
(c) Town Cemetery.
(d) Charter Street burial-ground.
4. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
5. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
(a) Uncle Sam.
(b) The permanent Inspector.
(c) General Miller.
(d) Hawthorne's grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 3?
2. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
3. Which field had Bellingham trained for/been educated in?
4. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
5. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)