|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pearl do when Dimmesdale kisses her?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She wipes it on Hester's scarlet letter.
(c) She kisses him back.
(d) She washes it off.
2. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(c) Dimmesdale's diary.
(d) Hester's diary.
3. Why, according to Pearl, does sunshine "run away and hide itself" from Hester?
(a) Because of the foliage.
(b) Because of the scarlet letter.
(c) Because of her fair skin.
(d) Because of her long gray dress.
4. How does Hester dress her daughter?
(a) In the "richest tissue."
(b) In "rustic weeds."
(c) In "infinite variety."
(d) In "paler loveliness."
5. Salem is characterized currently as....?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
2. According to the narrator, what is the first thing that Pearl noticed, as a baby?
3. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
4. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
5. Whom does Dimmesdale set out to meet?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)