|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
2. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(a) The golden eagle.
(b) Big brother.
(c) Uncle Sam.
3. How does Hester dress her daughter?
(a) In "infinite variety."
(b) In "rustic weeds."
(c) In the "richest tissue."
(d) In "paler loveliness."
4. What does Pearl do when Dimmesdale kisses her?
(a) She wipes it on Hester's scarlet letter.
(b) She washes it off.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She kisses him back.
5. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) Hester's diary.
(b) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(c) Dimmesdale's diary.
(d) The scarlet letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is the first thing that Pearl noticed, as a baby?
2. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
3. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
4. What does Chillingworth say in Chapter 14 the town council has been debating?
5. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)