|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chillingworth say in Chapter 14 the town council has been debating?
(a) Whether to take away Pearl from Hester.
(b) Whether to arrest Hester again.
(c) Whether to exile Hester from Boston.
(d) Whether to take away the scarlet letter.
2. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A red-hot iron."
(b) "A fletched arrow."
(c) "A tall white pedestal."
(d) "A mysterious maze."
3. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "airy sprite"
(b) "little elf"
(c) "beautiful munchkin"
(d) "sole treasure"
4. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
(a) With Dimmesdale, at the rectory.
(b) At the Governor's.
(c) With Mistress Hibbins.
(d) In the same rooming house as Dimmesdale.
5. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Meeting.
(b) The Recognizance.
(c) The Recognition.
(d) The Resistance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
2. Who is Hester's legal husband?
3. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
4. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
5. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)