|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the door to the jail made of?
2. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) The appearance of the governor.
(b) The gardener gives her what she wants.
(c) Her obedience to Hester.
(d) Her nanny.
3. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Her lover.
(c) Her confessor.
(d) Her (former) husband.
4. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Just Hester.
(b) Hester and Pearl.
(c) Just Pearl.
(d) Their own reflections.
5. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are bald.
(b) They are ministers.
(c) They are fat.
(d) They are bearded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
2. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
3. What does Hester mean when she says "Thou shalt not go alone" at the end of Chapter 17?
4. What does Pearl desperately desire from the governor's garden?
5. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)