|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
(a) Uncle Sam.
(b) General Miller.
(c) Hawthorne's grandfather.
(d) The permanent Inspector.
2. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
(a) From the Dark Man.
(b) From the Dark Reverend.
(c) From the Black Man.
(d) From Mistress Hibbins.
3. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A grimace.
(b) A smile.
(c) A shrug.
(d) A wink.
4. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Novel of Morals.
(b) A Play in Four Acts.
(c) A Preface.
(d) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
5. Who is to wear the thing Hester is delivering to the governor's house?
(a) The governor's servants.
(b) The governor's daughter.
(c) The governor himself.
(d) The governor's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
2. What does Hester mean when she says "Thou shalt not go alone" at the end of Chapter 17?
3. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
4. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
5. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)