|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Hester and Dimmesdale chose the place they do to escape to?
(a) Dimmesdale's health.
(b) Dimmedale's profession.
(c) Hester's profession.
(d) Hester's criminal record.
2. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
(b) A Play in Four Acts.
(c) A Novel of Morals.
(d) A Preface.
3. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
(a) In Boston.
(b) In England.
(c) In Salem.
4. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
5. How does Hester dress her daughter?
(a) In "paler loveliness."
(b) In the "richest tissue."
(c) In "infinite variety."
(d) In "rustic weeds."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
2. What was the door to the jail made of?
3. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
4. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
5. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)