|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
(a) Town Cemetery.
(b) Old Church burial-ground.
(c) Charter Street burial-ground.
(d) Salem Cemetery.
2. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A red-hot iron."
(b) "A mysterious maze."
(c) "A fletched arrow."
(d) "A tall white pedestal."
3. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are ministers.
(b) They are bald.
(c) They are bearded.
(d) They are fat.
4. What is the title of the first chapter?
(a) The Prison Rose.
(b) Gaol-Door Rock.
(d) The Prison-Door.
5. How many years have passed so far in this novel, in Chapter 13?
(c) Less than one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
2. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
3. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
4. Salem is characterized currently as....?
5. What is Hester delivering to the governor's house when she goes there in Chapter 7?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)