|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
(a) Bull frog.
(b) Giant grasshopper.
(c) Young deer.
(d) Little girls.
2. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
3. Dimmesdale learns that he is preach what important sermon?
(a) Chillingworth's funeral sermon.
(b) The Inauguration sermon.
(c) Hester's marriage sermon.
(d) The Election sermon.
4. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Their own reflections.
(b) Just Hester.
(c) Just Pearl.
(d) Hester and Pearl.
5. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) "The Minister in the Middle."
(b) "The Minister in the Mirror."
(c) "The Minister in a Maze."
(d) "The Mysterious Minister."
Short Answer Questions
1. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
2. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
3. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
4. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
5. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)