|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
(a) The stars and stripes.
(b) An eagle.
(c) Apple pie.
(d) Uncle Sam.
2. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
(a) She is angry at her mother.
(b) She is talking with a man.
(c) She has taken off the letter.
(d) She is across the brook.
3. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The church.
(d) The governor's mansion.
4. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
5. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Hester is a self-ordained what?
2. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
3. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
4. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
5. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)