|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
2. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
(a) Hester and Dimmesdale.
(b) Hester and Chillingworth.
(c) Chillingworth and Bellingham.
(d) Chillingworth and Dimmesdale.
3. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) Hester's diary.
(c) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(d) Dimmesdale's diary.
4. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
5. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
(d) Bull Moose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
2. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
3. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
4. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
5. The title of Chapter 9 ("The Leech") refers to which character?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)