|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
(a) Salem Cemetery.
(b) Charter Street burial-ground.
(c) Old Church burial-ground.
(d) Town Cemetery.
2. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
3. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Resistance.
(b) The Meeting.
(c) The Recognizance.
(d) The Recognition.
4. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
(a) "The joy in his beating heart."
(b) "The mercy of almightly Heaven."
(c) "The malice in Chillingworth's eyes."
(d) "The anguish in his inmost soul."
5. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
(a) In the same rooming house as Dimmesdale.
(b) With Mistress Hibbins.
(c) At the Governor's.
(d) With Dimmesdale, at the rectory.
Short Answer Questions
1. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
2. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
3. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
4. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
5. Where is the ship the Spanish Main sailing?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)