|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(b) A rose bush.
(d) A weeping willow.
2. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Approximately 15 or 20.
(b) Approximately 150 or more.
(c) Approximately 90 or 100.
(d) Approximately 50 or 60.
3. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are bald.
(b) They are ministers.
(c) They are bearded.
(d) They are fat.
4. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Hester's pearl necklace.
(c) The spikes on the door to the jail.
(d) The ladies in the crowd.
5. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A bustling port.
(b) A sad sailing town.
(c) A busy metropolis.
(d) A dour harbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
2. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
3. Salem is characterized currently as....?
4. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
5. What was the door to the jail made of?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)