|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The governor's mantle.
(b) The steeple.
(c) The altar.
(d) The scaffold.
2. According to the narrator, what is the first thing that Pearl noticed, as a baby?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(c) Hester's long black hair.
(d) Her own curls.
3. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
(a) Old Manse.
(b) Regal Apartment.
(c) Big House.
(d) Venerated Palace.
4. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
(a) Chillingworth and Dimmesdale.
(b) Hester and Chillingworth.
(c) Chillingworth and Bellingham.
(d) Hester and Dimmesdale.
5. What was the door to the jail made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
2. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
3. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
4. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
5. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)