|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are bald.
(b) They are bearded.
(c) They are fat.
(d) They are ministers.
2. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
(a) Old Church burial-ground.
(b) Salem Cemetery.
(c) Town Cemetery.
(d) Charter Street burial-ground.
3. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
(a) The Indians.
(b) The governor's family.
(c) The Dutch.
(d) The Puritans.
4. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Play in Four Acts.
(b) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
(c) A Preface.
(d) A Novel of Morals.
5. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
2. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
3. What was the door to the jail made of?
4. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
5. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)