|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) Hester's diary.
(c) Dimmesdale's diary.
(d) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
2. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A busy metropolis.
(b) A dour harbor.
(c) A sad sailing town.
(d) A bustling port.
3. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
4. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(b) The ladies in the crowd.
(c) Hester's pearl necklace.
(d) The spikes on the door to the jail.
5. What was the door to the jail made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
2. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
3. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
4. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
5. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)