|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are bald.
(b) They are ministers.
(c) They are fat.
(d) They are bearded.
2. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) The spikes on the door to the jail.
(b) Hester's pearl necklace.
(c) The ladies in the crowd.
3. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
4. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
5. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A dour harbor.
(b) A sad sailing town.
(c) A bustling port.
(d) A busy metropolis.
Short Answer Questions
1. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
2. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
3. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
4. How does Hester dress her daughter?
5. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)