|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The altar.
(b) The governor's mantle.
(c) The scaffold.
(d) The steeple.
2. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "beautiful munchkin"
(b) "little elf"
(c) "sole treasure"
(d) "airy sprite"
3. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
(a) Salem Road.
(b) Derby Street.
(c) Main Street.
(d) High Street.
4. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(b) The golden eagle.
(c) Big brother.
(d) Uncle Sam.
5. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
(a) The stars and stripes.
(b) Apple pie.
(c) Uncle Sam.
(d) An eagle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
2. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
3. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
4. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
5. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)