|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(a) The golden eagle.
(b) Big brother.
(d) Uncle Sam.
2. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A sad sailing town.
(b) A bustling port.
(c) A busy metropolis.
(d) A dour harbor.
3. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The schoolhouse.
(c) The church.
(d) The governor's mansion.
4. According to the narrator, what is the first thing that Pearl noticed, as a baby?
(a) Hester's long black hair.
(c) Her own curls.
(d) The scarlet letter.
5. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Meeting.
(b) The Resistance.
(c) The Recognition.
(d) The Recognizance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
2. What is the title of the first chapter?
3. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
4. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
5. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)