|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
(a) Big House.
(b) Venerated Palace.
(c) Regal Apartment.
(d) Old Manse.
2. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
(a) He is lame in his right leg.
(b) One of his shoulders is higher than the other.
(c) He is missing most of the toes on his left foot.
(d) His left eye droops.
3. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
(a) The name of her husband.
(b) The name of the witch.
(c) The name of her child.
(d) The name of her lover.
4. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(a) A rose bush.
(b) A weeping willow.
5. What is the title of the first chapter?
(a) Gaol-Door Rock.
(b) The Prison Rose.
(c) The Prison-Door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
2. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
3. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
4. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
5. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)