|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
(b) A truth serum.
2. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
(a) At the governor's mansion.
(b) In jail.
(c) At the doctor's office.
(d) In church.
3. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) Dimmesdale's diary.
(b) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(c) The scarlet letter.
(d) Hester's diary.
4. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The governor's mantle.
(b) The scaffold.
(c) The altar.
(d) The steeple.
5. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
2. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
3. What is the title of the first chapter?
4. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
5. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)