|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
(b) A Play in Four Acts.
(c) A Novel of Morals.
(d) A Preface.
2. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(a) A rose bush.
(c) A weeping willow.
3. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A bustling port.
(b) A sad sailing town.
(c) A dour harbor.
(d) A busy metropolis.
4. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(c) Dimmesdale's diary.
(d) Hester's diary.
5. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "sole treasure"
(b) "airy sprite"
(c) "little elf"
(d) "beautiful munchkin"
Short Answer Questions
1. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
2. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
3. Who is Hester's legal husband?
4. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
5. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)