|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
2. According to the narrator, what is the first thing that Pearl noticed, as a baby?
(a) Hester's long black hair.
(b) The scarlet letter.
(d) Her own curls.
3. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The steeple.
(b) The governor's mantle.
(c) The altar.
(d) The scaffold.
4. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(b) Big brother.
(c) Uncle Sam.
(d) The golden eagle.
5. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "little elf"
(b) "beautiful munchkin"
(c) "sole treasure"
(d) "airy sprite"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
2. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
3. What is the title of Chapter 3?
4. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
5. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)