|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the first chapter?
(a) The Prison-Door.
(c) Gaol-Door Rock.
(d) The Prison Rose.
2. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Hester and Pearl.
(b) Their own reflections.
(c) Just Pearl.
(d) Just Hester.
3. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) Pearl's eyes.
(b) Chillingworth's malice.
(c) The scarlet letter.
(d) The meteor/falling star.
4. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
(a) The name of her lover.
(b) The name of her child.
(c) The name of her husband.
(d) The name of the witch.
5. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
2. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
3. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
4. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
5. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)