|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The steeple.
(b) The governor's mantle.
(c) The altar.
(d) The scaffold.
2. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) Pearl's eyes.
(b) The scarlet letter.
(c) Chillingworth's malice.
(d) The meteor/falling star.
3. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
4. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
5. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Integrity.
(b) Sister of Chastity.
(c) Sister of Sin.
(d) Sister of Mercy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
2. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
3. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
4. How many years have passed so far in this novel, in Chapter 13?
5. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)