|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Her lover.
(b) Her daughter.
(c) Her confessor.
(d) Her (former) husband.
2. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) Pearl's eyes.
(b) The scarlet letter.
(c) The meteor/falling star.
(d) Chillingworth's malice.
3. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The steeple.
(b) The governor's mantle.
(c) The scaffold.
(d) The altar.
4. Which field had Bellingham trained for/been educated in?
5. Who is Hester's legal husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
2. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
3. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
4. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
5. How many years have passed so far in this novel, in Chapter 13?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)