|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Her confessor.
(b) Her lover.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her (former) husband.
2. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
(a) A truth serum.
3. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
4. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The scaffold.
(b) The steeple.
(c) The altar.
(d) The governor's mantle.
5. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) Her nanny.
(b) The appearance of the governor.
(c) Her obedience to Hester.
(d) The gardener gives her what she wants.
Short Answer Questions
1. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
2. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
3. Who is mentioned in Chapter 13 as a "foundress of a religious sect?"
4. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
5. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)