|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which description does not apply to Dimmesdale?
(c) Weak frame.
(d) Nervous temperament.
2. Who is Hester's legal husband?
3. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Her lover.
(c) Her (former) husband.
(d) Her confessor.
4. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
5. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Approximately 50 or 60.
(b) Approximately 150 or more.
(c) Approximately 15 or 20.
(d) Approximately 90 or 100.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hester is a self-ordained what?
2. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
3. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
4. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
5. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)