|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dimmesdale exclaims, "O Thou to whom I dare not life mine eyes," whom is he addressing?
2. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
3. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
4. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
(a) To cure disease.
(b) To lose weight.
(c) To purify their bodies.
(d) To conserve food.
5. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
Short Answer Questions
1. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
2. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
3. What is the title of Chapter 18?
4. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
5. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)