|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
2. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
(a) To purify their bodies.
(b) To conserve food.
(c) To cure disease.
(d) To lose weight.
3. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
4. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
(b) In England.
(c) In Boston.
(d) In Salem.
5. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
(c) Maple leaves.
(d) Sand and driftwood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 18?
2. According to the narrator, which of the following has NOT been one of Hester's "teachers"?
3. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
4. When Dimmesdale exclaims, "O Thou to whom I dare not life mine eyes," whom is he addressing?
5. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)