|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) She enjoys whaling.
(b) It is the scene of her crime.
(c) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(d) Her family is there.
2. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
(a) Wit's End.
3. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
4. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
(a) "The joy in his beating heart."
(b) "The mercy of almightly Heaven."
(c) "The malice in Chillingworth's eyes."
(d) "The anguish in his inmost soul."
5. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
(b) Maple leaves.
(c) Sand and driftwood.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, which of the following has NOT been one of Hester's "teachers"?
2. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
3. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
4. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
5. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)