|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
(a) Hester's work.
(b) Hester's guilt.
(c) Hester's love life.
(d) Hester's past.
2. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(b) Bustling London.
(d) Rural England.
3. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
(a) To lose weight.
(b) To cure disease.
(c) To conserve food.
(d) To purify their bodies.
4. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
5. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
2. What is the title of Chapter 18?
3. Why does Hester stay in New England?
4. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
5. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)