|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
2. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
(a) In church.
(b) On babies.
(c) At weddings.
(d) At funerals.
3. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
4. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
(a) To purify their bodies.
(b) To cure disease.
(c) To lose weight.
(d) To conserve food.
5. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
(a) Her scarlet letter.
(b) Her bonnet.
(c) Dimmesdale's Bible.
(d) Chillingworth's herbs.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dimmesdale exclaims, "O Thou to whom I dare not life mine eyes," whom is he addressing?
2. What is the title of Chapter 18?
3. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
4. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
5. Why does Hester stay in New England?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)