|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
(a) "Populist ire."
(b) "Sanctimonius reputation."
(c) "Sturdier texture."
(d) "Brillant popularity."
2. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
(b) Wit's End.
3. According to the narrator, which of the following has NOT been one of Hester's "teachers"?
4. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
(a) In England.
(b) In Boston.
(c) In Salem.
5. What is the title of Chapter 18?
(a) An Ectasy of Light.
(b) A River of Tears.
(c) A Flood of Brightness.
(d) A Flood of Sunshine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
2. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
3. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
4. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
5. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
This section contains 185 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)