|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
(a) "Sanctimonius reputation."
(b) "Brillant popularity."
(c) "Populist ire."
(d) "Sturdier texture."
2. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(b) It is the scene of her crime.
(c) Her family is there.
(d) She enjoys whaling.
3. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
4. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
(a) In Salem.
(b) In Boston.
(c) In England.
5. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
(a) To conserve food.
(b) To lose weight.
(c) To purify their bodies.
(d) To cure disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
2. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
3. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
4. According to the narrator, which of the following has NOT been one of Hester's "teachers"?
5. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)