|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
(a) In Boston.
(b) In England.
(d) In Salem.
2. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(a) Bustling London.
(d) Rural England.
3. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
4. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
5. What is the title of Chapter 18?
(a) A Flood of Brightness.
(b) A Flood of Sunshine.
(c) An Ectasy of Light.
(d) A River of Tears.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
2. According to the narrator, which of the following has NOT been one of Hester's "teachers"?
3. When Dimmesdale exclaims, "O Thou to whom I dare not life mine eyes," whom is he addressing?
4. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
5. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)