|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dimmesdale exclaims, "O Thou to whom I dare not life mine eyes," whom is he addressing?
2. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
3. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
(a) Dimmesdale's Bible.
(b) Her scarlet letter.
(c) Chillingworth's herbs.
(d) Her bonnet.
4. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
(a) In church.
(b) On babies.
(c) At weddings.
(d) At funerals.
5. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(c) Rural England.
(d) Bustling London.
Short Answer Questions
1. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
2. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
3. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
4. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
5. Why does Hester stay in New England?
This section contains 178 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)