|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dimmesdale exclaims, "O Thou to whom I dare not life mine eyes," whom is he addressing?
2. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
(b) Wit's End.
3. What is the title of Chapter 18?
(a) A Flood of Brightness.
(b) An Ectasy of Light.
(c) A River of Tears.
(d) A Flood of Sunshine.
4. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
(a) Her bonnet.
(b) Her scarlet letter.
(c) Chillingworth's herbs.
(d) Dimmesdale's Bible.
5. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
(a) To lose weight.
(b) To conserve food.
(c) To cure disease.
(d) To purify their bodies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
2. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
3. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
4. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
5. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)