|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
2. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
(a) Hester's guilt.
(b) Hester's love life.
(c) Hester's past.
(d) Hester's work.
3. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
(a) "Sturdier texture."
(b) "Brillant popularity."
(c) "Populist ire."
(d) "Sanctimonius reputation."
4. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) Her family is there.
(b) She enjoys whaling.
(c) It is the scene of her crime.
(d) She enjoys the brisk winter.
5. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
(a) "The anguish in his inmost soul."
(b) "The malice in Chillingworth's eyes."
(c) "The joy in his beating heart."
(d) "The mercy of almightly Heaven."
Short Answer Questions
1. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
2. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
3. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
4. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
5. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)