|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the lawyer get the sergeant at law to accept the paper?
2. Who is courting Julia?
3. Where does Act II begin?
4. Why is Mr Faulkland so sad?
5. Why is Sir Absolute in Bath?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jack wait for Faulkland?
2. What does the audience learn about Sir Absolute's marriage?
3. Why does the audience not feel sorry for Fag?
4. What does Lucy contemplate as she waits for Sir Lucius?
5. What does Mrs Malaprop inform Jack of?
6. How does Sheridan write the epilogue?
7. What does Sheridan wish to prove about the Comedy of Manners?
8. What does Mrs. Malaprop misuse often?
9. Did Sheridan ever rewrite the script? If so, why did he rewrite the script?
10. What does the epilogue address?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is the difference between Lydia and Jack/Beverly, Mrs Malaprop and Lucius, and Julia and Faulkland's relationships?
2. How does Lucy help out or hurt these relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Research other types of plays and list them.
1. What is the difference between these plays and Sheridan's?
2. Define a comedy of manners
Essay Topic 3
1. How could Sheridan's play be different if it had been focused on morals?
2. How would the characters have changed or stayed the same?
3. Pick a specific character and explain.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)