|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lucius kiss?
2. What was occurring in English culture and literature as Sheridan wrote the play?
3. Who has Lydia lost?
4. How did Julia's relationship with Faulkland begin?
5. What are some of the names of books Lydia reads?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is set up at the end of this section?
2. Why is Acres confused when he arrives at the duel site?
3. Who often gets in Lucius' way?
4. When Jack does speak, what does he do?
5. What does Julia ask the audience about a comedy?
6. What does Faukland lie about?
7. What else does Acres ask of Jack, but Jack refuses to do?
8. Why does Faulkland consistently stay tortured?
9. Is Lydia happy to discover that she can now marry her Beverly?
10. The longer the couple talks, what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What tone does Sheridan use through the play?
2. How does he achieve this tone?
3. How could you achieve it in your own writing?
Essay Topic 2
1. How are the characters of Faulkland and Lydia a foil of each other?
2. Do you agree with the assertion?
3. What is a FOIL, please explain.
4. What other characters might be foilLs?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the following people affect the lie/manipulation that Jack weaves:
How do they inconvenience Jack's plan also?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)