|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack claim his new desire is?
2. How does Fag exit?
3. Who stands in the way of the lovers?
4. How does the lawyer get the sergeant at law to accept the paper?
5. What does the play exhibit?
Short Essay Questions
1. The longer the couple talks, what happens?
2. What does Julia ask the audience about a comedy?
3. Why is Faulkland worried?
4. Does Lydia forgive Jack?
5. Who often gets in Lucius' way?
6. When Mrs. Malaprop, Sir Absolute, Jack and Lydia are all in the same room, why does Jack refuse to speak?
7. Does Jack show interest when Sir Absolute explains who he will marry?
8. Why is Mr. Faulkland worried about Julia?
9. Why does Lydia love her poor soldier?
10. What does Lucy tell Fag?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research other types of plays and list them.
1. What is the difference between these plays and Sheridan's?
2. Define a comedy of manners
Essay Topic 2
1. How could Sheridan's play be different if it had been focused on morals?
2. How would the characters have changed or stayed the same?
3. Pick a specific character and explain.
Essay Topic 3
18th century gender roles are examined in the play.
1. Compare and contrast the life of a woman and man in the 18th century
2. How does Sheridan shatter or stay true to gender roles?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)