|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Captain Absolute give money to?
2. What does Lydia think of Mr. Faulkland?
3. Why is Sir Absolute in Bath?
4. What does he call the audience?
5. What makes Julia cry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Jack excited that Lydia turns out to be his betrothed?
2. Why is Acres confused when he arrives at the duel site?
3. Why does Mrs Malaprop interrupt the meeting?
4. How does the play begin?
5. What does Lucy tell Fag?
6. Did Sheridan ever rewrite the script? If so, why did he rewrite the script?
7. Why does Lydia love her poor soldier?
8. Why does Faulkland consistently stay tortured?
9. Why is Mr. Faulkland worried about Julia?
10. Why does the audience not feel sorry for Fag?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research other types of plays and list them.
1. What is the difference between these plays and Sheridan's?
2. Define a comedy of manners
Essay Topic 2
1. How to the women of the play defy the men?Give specific examples.
2. How does the character of Mrs. Malaprop exemplify women breaking stereotypes?
3. How does Lucy break typical gender stereotypes?
Essay Topic 3
1. What type of boyfriend is Faulkland?
2. Why does he feel he must constantly test Julia?
3. At first, how does Julia always react to this?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)