|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who exists the stage first?
2. What does disinherit mean?
3. Who is Captain Absolute courting?
4. What does Lucy contemplate?
5. Why does Lucy feel guilty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who presents the prologue of the play to the audience?
2. Is Jack worried about being killed?
3. Where do Coachman and Fag meet?
4. Who often gets in Lucius' way?
5. What does Lucy contemplate as she waits for Sir Lucius?
6. Why does Mrs Malaprop interrupt the meeting?
7. How does the play begin?
8. Why does the audience not feel sorry for Fag?
9. The longer the couple talks, what happens?
10. What is set up at the end of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research other types of plays and list them.
1. What is the difference between these plays and Sheridan's?
2. Define a comedy of manners
Essay Topic 2
How does Sheridan make it clear that he would like a return of the comedy of manners?
1. Through his words?
2. Actions of the characters?
3. Staging of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Research the places where the play takes place such as the North Parade, etc.
1. How do these real life settings set the stage for the duel?
2. Did many duels take play here?
3. What has your research helped you to find?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)