|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the lawyer get the sergeant at law to accept the paper?
2. Does Sheridan believe all plays should have a moral point of view?
3. What must Julia frequently do?
4. Who has Lydia lost?
5. What will Lydia lose if she marries Beverly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sheridan wish to prove about the Comedy of Manners?
2. Where does Faulkland wait for Julia?
3. What does Lucy contemplate as she waits for Sir Lucius?
4. Is Lydia happy to discover that she can now marry her Beverly?
5. Where do Coachman and Fag meet?
6. Is Jack excited that Lydia turns out to be his betrothed?
7. Who often gets in Lucius' way?
8. Why does Mrs Malaprop interrupt the meeting?
9. What does Thomas like to wear?
10. Does Jack show interest when Sir Absolute explains who he will marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research other types of plays and list them.
1. What is the difference between these plays and Sheridan's?
2. Define a comedy of manners
Essay Topic 2
1. How do the characters manipulate each other in the play?
2. Name two characters that use manipulation throughout the play.
3. Explain why they are they way they are.
Essay Topic 3
Research Sheridan's other plays.
1. How are they different from the Rivals?
2. Compare and contrast the Rivals to another one of Sheridan's plays.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)