|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Sheridan be found guilty of?
2. What does Sheridan invite the audience to do?
3. Why does Lydia like Beverly Ensign?
4. Who exists the stage first?
5. What is Mrs. Malaprop's pen name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Coachman and Fag meet?
2. What does Lucius talk Acres into?
3. Where does Lucy meet Sir Lucius?
4. What does Sheridan wish to prove about the Comedy of Manners?
5. Does Jack impress Mrs. Malaprop when they finally meet?
6. Why is Mr. Faulkland worried about Julia?
7. When was the prologue added to the play?
8. Why is Faulkland worried?
9. Why does Faulkland consistently stay tortured?
10. What does Thomas like to wear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. How could Sheridan's play be different if it had been focused on morals?
2. How would the characters have changed or stayed the same?
3. Pick a specific character and explain.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is the difference between Lydia and Jack/Beverly, Mrs Malaprop and Lucius, and Julia and Faulkland's relationships?
2. How does Lucy help out or hurt these relationships?
Essay Topic 3
1. How to the women of the play defy the men?Give specific examples.
2. How does the character of Mrs. Malaprop exemplify women breaking stereotypes?
3. How does Lucy break typical gender stereotypes?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)