|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sheridan invite the audience to do?
2. What are some of the names of books Lydia reads?
3. Finish the quote: "Our suit and ....
4. What does Mrs Malaprop misuse all the time?
5. What does Jack claim his new desire is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sheridan wish to prove about the Comedy of Manners?
2. When Mrs. Malaprop, Sir Absolute, Jack and Lydia are all in the same room, why does Jack refuse to speak?
3. Is Jack worried about being killed?
4. What does Jack say to Lydia when he sees her during his visit?
5. What is Acres discussing with his servant, David?
6. Where does Jack wait for Faulkland?
7. What does Mrs. Malaprop misuse often?
8. Where do Coachman and Fag meet?
9. Who is Lydia's cousin?
10. Is Jack excited that Lydia turns out to be his betrothed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. How could Sheridan's play be different if it had been focused on morals?
2. How would the characters have changed or stayed the same?
3. Pick a specific character and explain.
Essay Topic 2
1. Explain the character of Sir Anthony.
2. Does he seem very hypocritical? Compare him to a more earnest character.
3. How is this character hypocritical?
Essay Topic 3
1. What tone does Sheridan use through the play?
2. How does he achieve this tone?
3. How could you achieve it in your own writing?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)