|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was occurring in English culture and literature as Sheridan wrote the play?
(a) The fashions and styles.
(b) The Black Plague totally killed the evolution of culture.
(c) When Sheridan wrote THE RIVALS, there was great debate about what type of drama should fill the English stage.
(d) A new styles or wiriting plays.
2. By bribing the sergeant at law, who is Sheridan also bribing?
(a) his enemies.
(b) the audience.
(c) his peers.
(d) his critics.
3. Does Sheridan believe all plays should have a moral point of view?
(b) Sometimes, depending on the subject matter.
(d) Yes because it is the only way to see the errors of our ways.
4. What can Sheridan be found guilty of?
(a) writing a horrible play .
(b) a bad atempt to please.
(c) being a very sad drama.
(d) making the audience feel morally inept .
5. When was the prologue added?
(a) when the play premiered.
(b) This prologue was added after the show re-opened and had reached its tenth night.
(c) as an afterthought.
(d) 10 years after the play premiered.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Julia cry?
2. Who is she waiting for?
3. Where does Act I, Scene II take place?
4. What will Lydia lose if she marries Beverly?
5. What does Jack learn about his parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Lydia forgive Jack?
2. Where does Faulkland wait for Julia?
3. The longer the couple talks, what happens?
4. What does Julia ask the audience about a comedy?
5. Does Jack show interest when Sir Absolute explains who he will marry?
6. Why does Mrs Malaprop interrupt the meeting?
7. Does Lydia approve of Mr. Faulkland?
8. What does Acres ask Jack to do?
9. When Mrs. Malaprop, Sir Absolute, Jack and Lydia are all in the same room, why does Jack refuse to speak?
10. What does Lucius talk Acres into?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)