• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Orange, Tommy. There There. Alfred A. Knopf, 2018.
• This Lesson Plan uses the terms "Native" and "Indian," in order to remain consistent with the author's preferred terms used within the book itself.
• Orange opens the prologue with a Bertolt Brecht poem about singing in dark times.
• The book begins with a first-person-plural narrator writing in the present tense and describing an Indian head test pattern that was broadcast on American televisions until around the late 1970s after shows went off the air.
• The test pattern was broadcast with what the narrator describes as circular patterns that looked like rifle scopes and a bulls-eye just above the Indian's head.
• The narrator continues with a recounting of a 1621 meeting between American colonists and Wampanoag Chief Massasoit and 90 other Wampanoags.
• The colonists and the Wampanoags made a land...
This section contains 10,014 words
(approx. 34 pages at 300 words per page)