|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many inmates was the Cook County jail built to house?
(a) twelve hundred
(b) three thousand
(c) seven thousand
(d) seven hundred
2. What do the children call the Henry Horner Homes?
(a) the battleground
(b) the jail or the dump
(c) Hornets, the projects, or the 'jects
(d) the hole or the box
3. What prison sentence was given to Jimmie Lee?
(a) the electric chair
(b) twenty years without parole
(c) life in prison
(d) the maximum term of thirty years
4. Who is the only one LaJoe tells about the situation with the welfare board?
5. What accusation is brought against LaJoe?
(a) drug dealing
(b) welfare fraud
(c) child abuse
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Terrance spend much of the visitation time?
2. Why do the boys hurry home from the tracks as the sun goes down?
3. With everyone moved back into the apartment, how many does LaJoe now have to feed?
4. Why did the vacancy rate at Horner increase?
5. What happened to LaJoe's older sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is LaJoe's expectations for Pharoah?
2. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
3. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
4. Mention something about the character of Craig Davis.
5. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
6. Describe the relationship between LaJoe and her husband, Paul.
7. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
8. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
9. Describe Lafeyette's academic qualities.
10. What is the quality of Henry Suder Elementary School?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)