|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pharoah think of the lush, grassy lawn around the condominium complex called Damen Courts?
(a) as a forbidden place
(b) as his worst place
(c) as his secret place
(d) as a dangerous place
2. How does James say they will all die?
(b) in a car wreck
(c) old age
(d) by killing or plain out
3. Who is the only one LaJoe tells about the situation with the welfare board?
4. What evidence is there that Pharoah is comfortable in a classroom?
(a) He has no trouble breathing.
(b) He sits on the front row.
(c) He stutters less.
(d) He makes everyone laugh.
5. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
(a) his nightmares
(b) his limp
(c) his lisp
(d) his stutter
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lafeyette hear someone was doing when he got his legs run over by a train?
2. What does Terrance claim loudly?
3. Who is Jimmie Lee?
4. What is Bird Leg's obsession?
5. How many inmates was the Cook County jail built to house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the boys sometimes make money?
2. Describe the emotions of the project boys and the train passengers as a train passes while the boys search for snakes.
3. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
4. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
5. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
6. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
7. Explain the obsession Calvin Robinson has that Lafeyette finds interesting.
8. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
9. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
10. How does Lafeyette's attitude change toward Rickey?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)