|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nickname of the child Terrance fathered at age fourteen?
(b) Teddy Bear
2. Where does Pharoah go with Lafeyette and Rickey and some other friends?
(a) to visit Bird Leg's grave
(b) to the museum of modern art
(c) window shopping at discount stores on Chicago Avenue
(d) the the top of Horner Homes
3. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
(a) his lisp
(b) his nightmares
(c) his limp
(d) his stutter
4. Who is the one person with whom Pharoah is comfortable?
(a) his cousin Porkchop
(b) his brother Lafeyette
(c) the triplets
(d) his mother LaJoe
5. What does Lafeyette fantasize about having in the future?
(a) a white, wood-framed house
(b) a Cadillac
(c) a job so his mother doesn't have to worry
(d) a gun to shoot gang members
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Terrance spend much of the visitation time?
2. What do the children call the Henry Horner Homes?
3. What had happened to Urica after her mother, her four-year-old sister, and her mother's boyfriend were killed?
4. Where does Bird Leg get his pets?
5. Who wants to know if Pharoah's cousin Dede will go out with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Terrence agree to participate in an armed robbery?
2. What hope is inspired in Pharoah as a result of his inclusion in the Upward Bound program at the University of Illinois?
3. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
4. What is it about public defender Anne Rhodes that Lafeyette does not understand?
5. What are Lafeyette's nightmares like?
6. How do the boys sometimes make money?
7. Describe what Pharoah sees as the boys are eating their food outside the Main Street hot dog stand.
8. Explain what happens to Bird Leg.
9. Describe the conflict between Lafeyette and Paul over the puppy Rickey gave him.
10. How does Pharoah prepare for the next spelling bee?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)