|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the young man do with Lafeyette?
(a) plays basketball with him
(b) shows him how to deejay
(c) teaches him the guitar
(d) collects snakes
2. Where does Pharoah go with Lafeyette and Rickey and some other friends?
(a) to visit Bird Leg's grave
(b) window shopping at discount stores on Chicago Avenue
(c) to the museum of modern art
(d) the the top of Horner Homes
3. When Rickey and Lafeyette shoplift, what are they unaware of?
(a) an alarm system when someone takes without paying
(b) a policeman standing at the front door
(c) a manager pretending to be a customer
(d) a security camera in the back room
4. What is the name of the young man who entertains outside of Horner Homes?
(a) Craig Davis
(b) James Brown
(c) Little Richard
(d) Stevie Wonder
5. What does Pharoah bury outside the projects?
(a) two goldfish
(b) his homework
(c) a dead cat
(d) a crowbar
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bird Leg dressed in at his funeral?
2. What are two main threats to the safety of Lafeyette and Pharoah at the Henry Horner Homes?
3. What solidifies the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
4. How old was LaJoe when she first came to the Henry Horner Projects?
5. What is the nickname of the child Terrance fathered at age fourteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between LaJoe and her husband, Paul.
2. How does LaJoe's house become overcrowded?
3. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
4. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
5. Explain the obsession Calvin Robinson has that Lafeyette finds interesting.
6. Describe the severity of Pharoah's speech impediment.
7. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
8. What is the evidence the police collected against Jimmie Lee?
9. How is the character of Pharoah developed in the story by how he cannot lie to LaJoe?
10. Describe Pharoah's problem that gets him eliminated from the spelling bee.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)