|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can LaJoe not defend herself well against the accusations?
(a) She has no education.
(b) She has no transportation to the hearing.
(c) She is guilty.
(d) She is too timid.
2. What happens to LaJoe at the welfare meeting?
(a) Her children are removed.
(b) She is taken to the hospital.
(c) Her benefits are cut off.
(d) She is taken to jail.
3. How is Bird Leg killed?
(a) shot in the chest
(b) eating spoiled food
(c) run over by a train
(d) stabbed in the back
4. What evidence is there that Pharoah is comfortable in a classroom?
(a) He makes everyone laugh.
(b) He stutters less.
(c) He sits on the front row.
(d) He has no trouble breathing.
5. Why is eight-year-old Urica Winder in court?
(a) as a witness to murder
(b) as a shoplifter
(c) as a child prostitute
(d) as a front for a gang
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pharoah think of the lush, grassy lawn around the condominium complex called Damen Courts?
2. Why does Pharoah love school?
3. Where does Urica live after her mother and sister were murdered?
4. What event caused riots in the area around the Blackhawk stadium?
5. What does Pharoah bury outside the projects?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
2. How is the character of Pharoah developed in the story by how he cannot lie to LaJoe?
3. What is the accusation the local welfare office caseworkers bring against LaJoe?
4. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
5. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
6. Describe the severity of Pharoah's speech impediment.
7. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
8. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
9. How do the boys sometimes make money?
10. Describe the emotions of the project boys and the train passengers as a train passes while the boys search for snakes.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)