|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jimmie Lee?
(a) a drug addict who terrorizes the children at Henry Horner projects.
(b) head of a drug gang called the Conservative Vice Lords whose members control Henry Horner
(c) a rock and roll singer who grew up in the Henry Horner Homes
(d) a policeman who really wants to do something for the project children
2. How do the people at Horner Homes call Urica?
(a) the rat
(b) the miracle child
(c) a liar
(d) the lucky one
3. Why will Jimmie Lee not let Horner project boys join his gang and even warns them to stay away from drugs and gangs?
(a) because they are too young
(b) because the Horner boys are too undernourished
(c) because he only uses boys from other projects
(d) because of his love for children
4. What captivates Pharoah at Erol's Video Club?
(a) the Wrestle Mania movies
(b) the space movies
(c) the cartoons
(d) the video machines
5. Who is the teacher Lafeyette likes a great deal?
(a) Miss Walker
(b) Mrs. Everage
(c) Mrs. Markham
(d) Mr. Martin
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to know if Pharoah's cousin Dede will go out with him?
2. What prison sentence was given to Jimmie Lee?
3. Bird Leg's cousin, Rickey, is full of rage. Why?
4. What is Dawn, Porkchop's sister, about to do?
5. Why will Pharaoh not wear his nylon jacket with the Blackhawk logo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Pharoah developed in the story by how he cannot lie to LaJoe?
2. What is the quality of Henry Suder Elementary School?
3. Explain why LaJoe believes Terrence is innocent when she visits him in Cook County Jail.
4. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
5. What is the evidence the police collected against Jimmie Lee?
6. Describe the severity of Pharoah's speech impediment.
7. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
8. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
9. Describe the relationship between LaJoe and her husband, Paul.
10. How does LaJoe's house become overcrowded?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)