|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pharoah work on his stutter?
(a) talking very softly
(b) tongue twisters
(c) saying the words and letters slowly
(d) using hand motions
2. Why do the police take the boys close to their home and drop them off with a stern warning?
(a) Mario Vera, the assistant manager, admits he did not see them.
(b) Mario Vera, the assistant manager, does not press charges.
(c) Mario Vera, the assistant manager, demands to see their parents.
(d) Mario Vera, the assistant manager, pays for the videos.
3. What prison sentence was given to Jimmie Lee?
(a) life in prison
(b) the electric chair
(c) the maximum term of thirty years
(d) twenty years without parole
4. How have the stadium's owners, the Wirz family, changed the character of the neighborhood?
(a) by planting trees and flowers in the neighborhood
(b) by helping homeowners paint their houses
(c) by putting up youth facilities
(d) by bulldozing homes for parking lots
5. Why will Pharaoh not wear his nylon jacket with the Blackhawk logo?
(a) It has a big hole in it.
(b) Several boys have been murdered for their jackets.
(c) The logo is almost falling off.
(d) It is old and faded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
2. What type of person is Rickey?
3. What is Dawn, Porkchop's sister, about to do?
4. What can Pharoah do in his secret place?
5. What does Pharoah bury outside the projects?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does LaJoe's house become overcrowded?
2. Describe the emotions of the project boys and the train passengers as a train passes while the boys search for snakes.
3. Explain why LaJoe believes Terrence is innocent when she visits him in Cook County Jail.
4. Describe the severity of Pharoah's speech impediment.
5. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
6. What is LaJoe's expectations for Pharoah?
7. How is the character of Pharoah developed in the story by how he cannot lie to LaJoe?
8. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
9. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
10. Explain why Lafeyette becomes introverted after the death of Bird Leg.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)