|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Pharoah's stutter much less noticeable?
(a) because he feels safe with Terrance at home
(b) because of the quiet after Jimmie Lee's conviction
(c) because he seldom speaks anymore
(d) because he is outgrowing it
2. What is going on when Pharoah and the triplets come home from school three days after Lafeyette's birthday?
(a) a surprise party
(b) painting the apartment
(c) a gun battle
(d) a family reunion
3. Why is Lafeyette against the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
(a) He thinks someone is out to kill Rickey.
(b) He worries that Rickey will take his place with Pharoah.
(c) He worries that Rickey will lead Pharoah into trouble.
(d) He knows that Rickey is a thief.
4. What is the name of the young man who entertains outside of Horner Homes?
(a) James Brown
(b) Little Richard
(c) Craig Davis
(d) Stevie Wonder
5. What treats does LaJoe buy for the children?
(a) small plastic toy filled with candy
(b) candy and chewing gum
(c) fresh fruit and popsicles
(d) comic books and candy
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can LaJoe not defend herself well against the accusations?
2. Who is the teacher Lafeyette likes a great deal?
3. What solidifies the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
4. How many inmates was the Cook County jail built to house?
5. What evidence is there that Pharoah is comfortable in a classroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pharoah's problem that gets him eliminated from the spelling bee.
2. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
3. How is the character of Pharoah developed in the story by how he cannot lie to LaJoe?
4. What is the accusation the local welfare office caseworkers bring against LaJoe?
5. What is the quality of Henry Suder Elementary School?
6. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
7. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
8. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
9. Explain the friendship between Pharoah and Rickey.
10. How does a policeman treat Lafeyette in the stadium parking lot?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)