|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lafeyette against the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
(a) He thinks someone is out to kill Rickey.
(b) He worries that Rickey will lead Pharoah into trouble.
(c) He worries that Rickey will take his place with Pharoah.
(d) He knows that Rickey is a thief.
2. What does Pharoah worry about as he prepares for the contest?
(a) his stutter
(b) his pronunciation
(c) his clothes
(d) his memory
3. What has caused Pharoah to faint?
(a) snakes at the tracks
(b) deeing Bird Leg get shot
(c) getting too hot
(d) the sounds of gunfire
4. What happens to Pharoah on his last word?
(a) He starts to stutter so bad that the judges cannot understand him.
(b) He spells the first four letters and then his throat closes up.
(c) He gets one of his severe headaches.
(d) He suddenly needs to go to the bathroom.
5. With everyone moved back into the apartment, how many does LaJoe now have to feed?
(a) three adults and thirteen children
(b) thirteen adults and children
(c) two adults and twelve children
(d) four adults and six children
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is eight-year-old Urica Winder in court?
2. How do the people at Horner Homes call Urica?
3. Why does Pharoah love school?
4. Why do Lafeyette and Rickey refuse to take Pharoah back to the railroad tracks?
5. What seriously haunts Lafeyette?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
2. Explain the friendship between Pharoah and Rickey.
3. How does LaJoe's house become overcrowded?
4. Describe Lafeyette's academic qualities.
5. Mention something about the character of Craig Davis.
6. What is the evidence the police collected against Jimmie Lee?
7. What is the accusation the local welfare office caseworkers bring against LaJoe?
8. Describe the relationship between LaJoe and her husband, Paul.
9. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
10. Describe Pharoah's problem that gets him eliminated from the spelling bee.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)