|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Bird Leg killed?
(a) run over by a train
(b) stabbed in the back
(c) shot in the chest
(d) eating spoiled food
2. Who is LaJoe's childhood friend?
(d) Lila Mae
3. What evidence is there that Pharoah is comfortable in a classroom?
(a) He sits on the front row.
(b) He makes everyone laugh.
(c) He has no trouble breathing.
(d) He stutters less.
4. How old was LaJoe when she first came to the Henry Horner Projects?
5. What are two main threats to the safety of Lafeyette and Pharoah at the Henry Horner Homes?
(a) food and education
(b) rats and snakes
(c) trains and busses
(d) gun battles and gang influences
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the son LaJoe is closest to but who disappoints her the most?
2. Where does Bird Leg get food for his pets?
3. Where does Urica live after her mother and sister were murdered?
4. What do the boys use to hunt for garter snakes?
5. What do Lafeyette, Pharoah and their friends do at Chicago Blackhawk and Bulls games?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the accusation the local welfare office caseworkers bring against LaJoe?
2. What is the evidence the police collected against Jimmie Lee?
3. How does Lafeyette's attitude change toward Rickey?
4. What is the contrast between the murders in an affluent school and the shooting of Alonzo at Horner?
5. What is the quality of Henry Suder Elementary School?
6. Describe Pharoah's innate honesty.
7. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
8. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
9. Explain why LaJoe believes Terrence is innocent when she visits him in Cook County Jail.
10. How is the character of Pharoah developed in the story by how he cannot lie to LaJoe?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)