|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will Jimmie Lee not let Horner project boys join his gang and even warns them to stay away from drugs and gangs?
(a) because he only uses boys from other projects
(b) because they are too young
(c) because of his love for children
(d) because the Horner boys are too undernourished
2. What happens to LaJoe at the welfare meeting?
(a) Her children are removed.
(b) She is taken to jail.
(c) Her benefits are cut off.
(d) She is taken to the hospital.
3. What is Dawn, Porkchop's sister, about to do?
(a) get married
(b) have another baby
(c) drop out of school
(d) graduate from Crane High School
4. What captivates Pharoah at Erol's Video Club?
(a) the video machines
(b) the space movies
(c) the cartoons
(d) the Wrestle Mania movies
5. What happens to Pharoah on his last word?
(a) He gets one of his severe headaches.
(b) He starts to stutter so bad that the judges cannot understand him.
(c) He spells the first four letters and then his throat closes up.
(d) He suddenly needs to go to the bathroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did LaJoe meet at a dance hall when she was only thirteen, pretending to be sixteen?
2. Why did the vacancy rate at Horner increase?
3. What gives Pharoah a headache at the jail?
4. How is Bird Leg killed?
5. How does Pharoah think of the lush, grassy lawn around the condominium complex called Damen Courts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pharoah's innate honesty.
2. How does Lafeyette's attitude change toward Rickey?
3. Explain why LaJoe believes Terrence is innocent when she visits him in Cook County Jail.
4. Explain why Lafeyette becomes introverted after the death of Bird Leg.
5. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
6. Explain the friendship between Pharoah and Rickey.
7. Describe the emotions of the project boys and the train passengers as a train passes while the boys search for snakes.
8. What is the accusation the local welfare office caseworkers bring against LaJoe?
9. How is the character of Pharoah developed in the story by how he cannot lie to LaJoe?
10. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)