|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lafeyette fantasize about having in the future?
(a) a white, wood-framed house
(b) a Cadillac
(c) a gun to shoot gang members
(d) a job so his mother doesn't have to worry
2. Why does Pharoah love school?
(a) He gets a free breakfast at school.
(b) It is his chance to get out of the projects.
(c) He likes to be with the girls.
(d) It is a safe place where he can excel without fear.
3. What solidifies the friendship between Rickey and Pharoah?
(a) Rickey gives Pharoah his lunch money.
(b) Rickey punches a bully who had been picking on Pharoah.
(c) Rickey saves Pharoah from getting hit by a bus.
(d) Rickey starts dating Pharoah's cousin.
4. How does Pharoah work on his stutter?
(a) saying the words and letters slowly
(b) tongue twisters
(c) using hand motions
(d) talking very softly
5. What event caused riots in the area around the Blackhawk stadium?
(a) the Chicago riots at the Democratic convention
(b) the death of Robert Kennedy
(c) the Kent State shootings
(d) the death of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Lafeyette's attitude toward Rickey changed?
2. What does Pharoah worry about as he prepares for the contest?
3. Where does Bird Leg get his pets?
4. What becomes stressful to LaJoe to the point of sleepless nights and severe headaches?
5. What prison sentence was given to Jimmie Lee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the obsession Calvin Robinson has that Lafeyette finds interesting.
2. How is the character of Pharoah developed in the story by how he cannot lie to LaJoe?
3. Describe the relationship between LaJoe and her husband, Paul.
4. What is the evidence the police collected against Jimmie Lee?
5. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
6. How does LaJoe's house become overcrowded?
7. How do the boys sometimes make money?
8. Mention something about the character of Craig Davis.
9. How does the teacher's strike of 1988 affect Pharoah?
10. What is the quality of Henry Suder Elementary School?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)