|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is eight-year-old Urica Winder in court?
(a) as a shoplifter
(b) as a front for a gang
(c) as a child prostitute
(d) as a witness to murder
2. What do Lafeyette, Pharoah and their friends do at Chicago Blackhawk and Bulls games?
(a) wash cars while attendees watch the games
(b) offer to protect parked cars for game attendees
(c) collect empty drink cans to recycle
(d) help park cars
3. What is the nickname of the child Terrance fathered at age fourteen?
(a) Teddy Bear
4. How do the people at Horner Homes call Urica?
(a) a liar
(b) the lucky one
(c) the miracle child
(d) the rat
5. Who is LaJoe's childhood friend?
(d) Lila Mae
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bird Leg get his pets?
2. Bird Leg's cousin, Rickey, is full of rage. Why?
3. How does Pharoah think of the lush, grassy lawn around the condominium complex called Damen Courts?
4. Why does Pharoah love school?
5. What are two main threats to the safety of Lafeyette and Pharoah at the Henry Horner Homes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do LaJoe and Lafeyette back off from trying to stop the beating of a man by some Horner gang members?
2. Why does LaJoe's mother move out and how do the boys feel about her moving?
3. Describe the shooting of Craig Davis.
4. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
5. Describe Pharoah's innate honesty.
6. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
7. What improvements are made to the apartment in the summer of 1989?
8. How does Lafeyette's attitude change toward Rickey?
9. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
10. How has Lafeyette's behavior changed since Craig's funeral?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)