|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it called when the gang members break a side window of a car at a stoplight and grab a purse or briefcase on the seat?
(a) break and run
(b) smash and grabs
(c) hit and run
(d) break and take
2. What does Pharoah bury outside the projects?
(a) a crowbar
(b) his homework
(c) a dead cat
(d) two goldfish
3. How do the people at Horner Homes call Urica?
(a) the miracle child
(b) a liar
(c) the rat
(d) the lucky one
4. What had happened to Urica after her mother, her four-year-old sister, and her mother's boyfriend were killed?
(a) She was taken to LaJoe to care for her.
(b) She was stabbed forty-eight times but miraculously survived
(c) She went into shock and could not speak.
(d) She had hid under a box and the killers did not see her.
5. Why does Lafeyette not want to play basketball with the project boys?
(a) They are all older than he is.
(b) They cheat.
(c) They play too rough.
(d) They might try to recruit him into a gang.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bird Leg dressed in at his funeral?
2. Who is the son LaJoe is closest to but who disappoints her the most?
3. What did a friend do for the family?
4. What do Lafeyette, Pharoah and their friends do at Chicago Blackhawk and Bulls games?
5. What do Lafeyette and Pharoah want from Terrence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why LaJoe believes Terrence is innocent when she visits him in Cook County Jail.
2. Describe the emotions of the project boys and the train passengers as a train passes while the boys search for snakes.
3. Explain why Lafeyette becomes introverted after the death of Bird Leg.
4. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
5. How does LaJoe's house become overcrowded?
6. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
7. Describe the severity of Pharoah's speech impediment.
8. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
9. How does Lafeyette's attitude change toward Rickey?
10. Describe LaJoe in one or two sentences.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)