|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When another person is killed, why do Lafeyette and Pharoah refuse to go to the funeral?
(a) They had made plans to go to the tracks.
(b) They had nothing good to wear.
(c) They are still raw from Bird Leg's funeral.
(d) They did not like the dead boy.
2. What happens to Pharoah on his last word?
(a) He spells the first four letters and then his throat closes up.
(b) He gets one of his severe headaches.
(c) He suddenly needs to go to the bathroom.
(d) He starts to stutter so bad that the judges cannot understand him.
3. Why is Pharoah's stutter much less noticeable?
(a) because he feels safe with Terrance at home
(b) because he seldom speaks anymore
(c) because he is outgrowing it
(d) because of the quiet after Jimmie Lee's conviction
4. What makes Pharoah feel uncomfortable on Chicago Avenue?
(a) People look at them as dirty Horner boys.
(b) The boys talk about shoplifting.
(c) Too many policemen are walking around.
(d) The traffic scares him when they cross the street.
5. What captivates Pharoah at Erol's Video Club?
(a) the cartoons
(b) the space movies
(c) the Wrestle Mania movies
(d) the video machines
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to know if Pharoah's cousin Dede will go out with him?
2. Why do the police take the boys close to their home and drop them off with a stern warning?
3. How do Lafeyette and Pharoah refer to the escalating gang wars and gun battles?
4. What is the name of the young man who entertains outside of Horner Homes?
5. What is the nickname of the child Terrance fathered at age fourteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Pharoah developed in the story by how he cannot lie to LaJoe?
2. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
3. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
4. How has Lafeyette's behavior changed since Craig's funeral?
5. Describe the relationship between LaJoe and her husband, Paul.
6. Describe Lafeyette's frame of mind at Craig's funeral.
7. How does Pharoah react to his visit to the courtroom?
8. Explain the obsession Calvin Robinson has that Lafeyette finds interesting.
9. Describe the shooting of Craig Davis.
10. Describe the conflict between Lafeyette and Paul over the puppy Rickey gave him.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)