|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are two main threats to the safety of Lafeyette and Pharoah at the Henry Horner Homes?
(a) rats and snakes
(b) food and education
(c) gun battles and gang influences
(d) trains and busses
2. Why is eight-year-old Urica Winder in court?
(a) as a shoplifter
(b) as a front for a gang
(c) as a child prostitute
(d) as a witness to murder
3. What had happened to Urica after her mother, her four-year-old sister, and her mother's boyfriend were killed?
(a) She was stabbed forty-eight times but miraculously survived
(b) She had hid under a box and the killers did not see her.
(c) She was taken to LaJoe to care for her.
(d) She went into shock and could not speak.
4. Why will Pharaoh not wear his nylon jacket with the Blackhawk logo?
(a) It has a big hole in it.
(b) It is old and faded.
(c) The logo is almost falling off.
(d) Several boys have been murdered for their jackets.
5. What impediment gets worse in Pharoah after all the summer violence?
(a) his limp
(b) his lisp
(c) his stutter
(d) his nightmares
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Bird Leg killed?
2. What is Dawn, Porkchop's sister, about to do?
3. Where do LaJoe, Lafeyette, Pharoah and the triplets go to visit Terrence?
4. Who is the only one LaJoe tells about the situation with the welfare board?
5. Who is Jimmie Lee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the emotions of the project boys and the train passengers as a train passes while the boys search for snakes.
2. Describe the severity of Pharoah's speech impediment.
3. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
4. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
5. How are Dawn and Demetrius singled out and publicized?
6. Mention something about the character of Craig Davis.
7. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
8. Explain why Lafeyette becomes introverted after the death of Bird Leg.
9. What is the evidence the police collected against Jimmie Lee?
10. What are some of the serious problems with the construction of the Henry Horner homes?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)