|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event caused riots in the area around the Blackhawk stadium?
(a) the death of Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) the Chicago riots at the Democratic convention
(c) the Kent State shootings
(d) the death of Robert Kennedy
2. How old was LaJoe when she first came to the Henry Horner Projects?
3. What had happened to Urica after her mother, her four-year-old sister, and her mother's boyfriend were killed?
(a) She went into shock and could not speak.
(b) She was stabbed forty-eight times but miraculously survived
(c) She was taken to LaJoe to care for her.
(d) She had hid under a box and the killers did not see her.
4. What do the boys use to hunt for garter snakes?
(a) a crowbar
(b) a cat
(c) railroad spikes
5. What gives Pharoah a headache at the jail?
(a) a siren
(b) the clanging of doors
(c) the guard's whistle
(d) a couple arguing
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one person with whom Pharoah is comfortable?
2. Why does Lafeyette not want to play basketball with the project boys?
3. Where do LaJoe, Lafeyette, Pharoah and the triplets go to visit Terrence?
4. Who is Jimmie Lee?
5. Why is eight-year-old Urica Winder in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the boys sometimes make money?
2. What is the accusation the local welfare office caseworkers bring against LaJoe?
3. Describe Pharoah's secret place.
4. Describe how the eight-year-old Urica testifies at a murder trial.
5. How does Lafeyette's attitude change toward Rickey?
6. Mention something about the character of Craig Davis.
7. When Lafeyette is caught shoplifting, how does LaJoe react?
8. Point out the contradictions in the character of Jimmie Lee.
9. Describe the severity of Pharoah's speech impediment.
10. Describe Lafeyette's academic qualities.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)