|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
2. What is Hesiod's parting advice in 'Works and Days'?
3. What does Pandora release amongst the mortals when she lifts the lid off her jar?
4. Who does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should sacrifice to?
5. In the fable in 'Works and Days', who does the bird attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what time of year, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid being outside? When is it alright to be outside?
2. Describe the golden generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
3. What is Hesiod's final advice in 'Works and Days' ?
4. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
5. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
6. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
7. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
8. Who does Hesiod ask for help in writing the poem 'Works and Days' ?
9. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
10. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the literary term voice and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Who is the voice in this poem and is it an effective choice?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of a storyteller? How is the oral tradition important in preserving cultures? What role does storytelling play in Hesiod's poetry?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)