|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many kinds of strife exist according to 'Works and Days'?
2. Who reports to Zeus on the behavior of men?
3. At what age does Hesiod suggest a man choose a wife?
4. What does Hesiod advise his brother to do in 'Works and Days'?
5. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
2. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
3. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
4. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
5. Who, according to 'Works and Days', reports to Zeus about the behavior of men?
6. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
7. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
8. Describe the fourth generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
9. When will the Gods ignore a mortals prayers according to 'Works and Days'?
10. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the title 'Theogony' means including the origin of the word. Why is the title relevant to the poem?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the central theme in either 'Theogony' or 'Works and Days' . Describe how Hesiod demonstrates this theme in his work and the message the theme conveys.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the audience Hesiod attempts to address in 'Works and Days' ? Why is it important for a writer to keep his or her audience in mind when creating a piece of art?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)