|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what season does 'Work and Days' suggest a wagon be built?
2. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
3. What should be avoided during harvest time according to 'Works and Days'?
4. Who does Hesiod say teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about finery in 'Works and Days'?
5. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', what does Zeus make man better than?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what time of year, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid being outside? When is it alright to be outside?
2. When will the Gods ignore a mortals prayers according to 'Works and Days'?
3. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
4. What is Hesiod's final advice in 'Works and Days' ?
5. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
6. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
7. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
8. Who should farmers pray to in order to increase their grain supply?
9. Describe the silver generation in 'Works and Days'.
10. What happens when Pandora opens her box?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the central theme in either 'Theogony' or 'Works and Days' . Describe how Hesiod demonstrates this theme in his work and the message the theme conveys.
Essay Topic 3
How were the Muses conceived and discuss the role they play in Hesiod's poetry.
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)