|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
2. What is Hesiod's parting advice in 'Works and Days'?
3. What reputation should men avoid according to 'Works and Days'?
4. In 'Works and Days', who teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about grace and beauty?
5. What does Hesiod advise his brother to do in 'Works and Days'?
Short Essay Questions
1. When will the Gods ignore a mortals prayers according to 'Works and Days'?
2. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
3. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
4. Describe the golden generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
5. Describe the fourth generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
6. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
7. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
8. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
9. Describe the lands of badness and goodness as described in 'Works and Days'.
10. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of prophesy and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Is it possible to change a prophesy? Site examples from the poem to help your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss two possible conflicts within 'Works and Days' and provide examples from the text that support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)