|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', what does Zeus make man better than?
2. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
3. How many days of winter are there according to 'Works and Days'?
4. In 'Works and Days', who teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about grace and beauty?
5. What reputation should men avoid according to 'Works and Days'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
2. What is Hesiod's final advice in 'Works and Days' ?
3. What does 'Works and Days' suggest a good man listens to?
4. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
5. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
6. Describe the golden generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
7. Describe the lands of badness and goodness as described in 'Works and Days'.
8. When will the Gods ignore a mortals prayers according to 'Works and Days'?
9. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
10. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his eyes away from his neighbor's riches?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Zeus' role amongst the Gods. Why is Zeus the father of all Gods? Choose one time in Hesiod's poem that Zeus is mentioned. What role does Zeus play in that poem and why is that role important?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of a storyteller? How is the oral tradition important in preserving cultures? What role does storytelling play in Hesiod's poetry?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss two possible conflicts within 'Works and Days' and provide examples from the text that support your position.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)