|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hesiod in 'Works and Days', what is the fourth generation made up of?
2. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod create a fable for?
3. How many days of winter are there according to 'Works and Days'?
4. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his head away from?
5. What do the race of men created by Cronos enjoy in 'Works and Days'
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
2. Describe the silver generation in 'Works and Days'.
3. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days' he writes a fable. What is Hesiod's fable for princes?
4. Describe the fourth generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
5. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
6. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
7. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
8. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
9. What does 'Works and Days' suggest a good man listens to?
10. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the story of the Eagle and the Nightingale. Why does Hesiod include this story in 'Works and Days'? What moral does it teach? Choose two elements of the fable and relate them to the overall theme of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the audience Hesiod attempts to address in 'Works and Days' ? Why is it important for a writer to keep his or her audience in mind when creating a piece of art?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of prophesy and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Is it possible to change a prophesy? Site examples from the poem to help your argument.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)