|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what is the name of the maiden Zeus prepares for the mortals?
2. What, in 'Works and Days', can man tell the difference between?
3. In 'Works and Days', when does Hesiod tell his brother he should chop wood?
4. What, in 'Works and Days', is the fifth generation made of?
5. In 'Works and Days', who does Hermes deliver the maiden Zeus constructs to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does 'Works and Days' suggest a good man listens to?
2. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
3. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
4. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
5. Who should farmers pray to in order to increase their grain supply?
6. Describe the golden generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
7. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
8. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
9. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
10. What happens when Pandora opens her box?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism behind the creation story as a birth process. Why do the Greeks describe creation as a birth where in other traditions the earth, trees, oceans etc. are simply created.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what the title 'Theogony' means including the origin of the word. Why is the title relevant to the poem?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the story of the Eagle and the Nightingale. Why does Hesiod include this story in 'Works and Days'? What moral does it teach? Choose two elements of the fable and relate them to the overall theme of the poem.
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)