|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid in the winter?
2. What do the race of men created by Cronos enjoy in 'Works and Days'
3. Who does Hesiod say constructs Zeus' maiden for the mortals in 'Works and Days'?
4. Why, in 'Works and Days', is it important to choose oxen that are a certain age?
5. What race of men does Cronos create in 'Works and Days'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the silver generation in 'Works and Days'.
2. When will the Gods ignore a mortals prayers according to 'Works and Days'?
3. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
4. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
5. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his eyes away from his neighbor's riches?
6. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
7. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
8. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
9. Who should farmers pray to in order to increase their grain supply?
10. Who, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of prophesy and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Is it possible to change a prophesy? Site examples from the poem to help your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the literary term voice and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Who is the voice in this poem and is it an effective choice?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the central theme in either 'Theogony' or 'Works and Days' . Describe how Hesiod demonstrates this theme in his work and the message the theme conveys.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)