|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', when does Hesiod tell his brother he should chop wood?
2. How close is the land of Badness?
3. What temperature, does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days', his brother should avoid?
4. According to 'Works and Days', where does Zeus place the survivors of the fourth generation?
5. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod say his brother should build in the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
2. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
3. Describe the fourth generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
4. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
5. Describe the golden generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
6. Who, according to 'Works and Days', reports to Zeus about the behavior of men?
7. At what time of year, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid being outside? When is it alright to be outside?
8. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
9. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
10. Describe the lands of badness and goodness as described in 'Works and Days'.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the story of the Eagle and the Nightingale. Why does Hesiod include this story in 'Works and Days'? What moral does it teach? Choose two elements of the fable and relate them to the overall theme of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss two possible conflicts within 'Works and Days' and provide examples from the text that support your position.
Essay Topic 3
How were the Muses conceived and discuss the role they play in Hesiod's poetry.
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)