|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
2. What does Zeus provide man with in 'Works and Days'?
3. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
4. In 'Works and Days', what is the name of the maiden Zeus prepares for the mortals?
5. What does Pandora release amongst the mortals when she lifts the lid off her jar?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days' he writes a fable. What is Hesiod's fable for princes?
2. Describe the golden generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
3. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
4. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
5. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
6. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
7. When will the Gods ignore a mortals prayers according to 'Works and Days'?
8. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
9. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
10. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the audience Hesiod attempts to address in 'Works and Days' ? Why is it important for a writer to keep his or her audience in mind when creating a piece of art?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism behind the creation story as a birth process. Why do the Greeks describe creation as a birth where in other traditions the earth, trees, oceans etc. are simply created.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of a storyteller? How is the oral tradition important in preserving cultures? What role does storytelling play in Hesiod's poetry?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)