|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the third generation, in 'Works and Days', become spirits?
2. How many goods does Hesiod advise his brother to keep at home?
3. What do the race of men created by Cronos enjoy in 'Works and Days'
4. How old does 'Works and Days' say a hired man should be?
5. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
2. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
3. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
4. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
5. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
6. Describe the fourth generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
7. Who does Hesiod ask for help in writing the poem 'Works and Days' ?
8. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
9. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
10. Who, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the ways women are described in Hesiod's work. How did the ancient Greeks view women? Site examples from the poems to enhance your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between omens, superstitions and prophecies. How are they similar? How are they different? Chose one example of each from Hesiod's poem and explain how it fits that definition.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the Gods or Goddess Hesiod mentions in his poem. Explain the history of that God or Goddess and how they came to be. Explain why mortals worshiped that particular God or Goddess and what interaction the God or Goddesses had with the mortals, if any.
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)