|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the silver generation when Zeus puts them away?
2. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
3. Who, in 'Works and Days', should plow men pray to in order to obtain good crops?
4. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod create a fable for?
5. Who is Hesoid's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
2. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his eyes away from his neighbor's riches?
3. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
4. Hesiod writes about the different generations in 'Works and Days'. Describe the third generation.
5. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
6. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
7. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
8. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
9. When will the Gods ignore a mortals prayers according to 'Works and Days'?
10. Who, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the title 'Theogony' means including the origin of the word. Why is the title relevant to the poem?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
Essay Topic 3
Describe each of the generations in 'Works and Days' and how each generation interacts with the Gods.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)