|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say provides food and is not a disgrace?
2. Who do the men in the silver generation refuse to serve?
3. In 'Works and Days', where do the third generation's spirits travel?
4. How many kinds of strife exist according to 'Works and Days'?
5. What happens to the silver generation when Zeus puts them away?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
2. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
3. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
4. Describe the lands of badness and goodness as described in 'Works and Days'.
5. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
6. At what time of year, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid being outside? When is it alright to be outside?
7. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
8. Hesiod writes about the different generations in 'Works and Days'. Describe the third generation.
9. What happens when Pandora opens her box?
10. Who, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of prophesy and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Is it possible to change a prophesy? Site examples from the poem to help your argument.
Essay Topic 2
How were the Muses conceived and discuss the role they play in Hesiod's poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Hesiod writes that the Gods place a great emphasis on work in 'Works and Days.' Why is work a benefit to the Greek Gods? Does Hesiod address this in his work? Should he? Support your conclusions with evidence from the text.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)