|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many goods does Hesiod advise his brother to keep at home?
2. What trade does Hesiod offer to teach his brother in 'Works and Days'?
3. What race of men does Cronos create in 'Works and Days'?
4. Who does Justice tell Zeus about?
5. How many kinds of strife exist according to 'Works and Days'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his eyes away from his neighbor's riches?
2. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
3. What happens when Pandora opens her box?
4. Who should farmers pray to in order to increase their grain supply?
5. Describe the lands of badness and goodness as described in 'Works and Days'.
6. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
7. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
8. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
9. Hesiod writes about the different generations in 'Works and Days'. Describe the third generation.
10. Who, according to 'Works and Days', reports to Zeus about the behavior of men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hesiod's life and works and the achievements he made in his life. What is so important about his works 'Theogony' and 'Works and Days'?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between Gods and mortals in Greek mythology? Compare and contrast this relationship with another religion you are familiar with.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the audience Hesiod attempts to address in 'Works and Days' ? Why is it important for a writer to keep his or her audience in mind when creating a piece of art?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)