|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod say the God's will destroy?
2. What is Hesiod's parting advice in 'Works and Days'?
3. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', Hesiod suggests that farmers use ox. How old should oxen be when attached to the plow?
4. Who does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should sacrifice to?
5. Who reports to Zeus on the behavior of men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the audience Hesiod attempts to address in 'Works and Days' ? Why is it important for a writer to keep his or her audience in mind when creating a piece of art?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what the title 'Theogony' means including the origin of the word. Why is the title relevant to the poem?
Essay Topic 3
Describe each of the generations in 'Works and Days' and how each generation interacts with the Gods.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)