|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, in 'Works and Days', should plow men pray to in order to obtain good crops?
2. In what season does 'Work and Days' suggest a wagon be built?
3. Who does Hesiod say constructs Zeus' maiden for the mortals in 'Works and Days'?
4. How many goods does Hesiod advise his brother to keep at home?
5. What is Hesiod's parting advice in 'Works and Days'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
2. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
3. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
4. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
5. Describe the golden generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
6. Hesiod writes about the different generations in 'Works and Days'. Describe the third generation.
7. What happens when Pandora opens her box?
8. Who does Hesiod ask for help in writing the poem 'Works and Days' ?
9. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
10. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of prophesy and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Is it possible to change a prophesy? Site examples from the poem to help your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the literary term voice and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Who is the voice in this poem and is it an effective choice?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of a storyteller? How is the oral tradition important in preserving cultures? What role does storytelling play in Hesiod's poetry?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)