|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', what does Zeus make man better than?
2. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his head away from?
3. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
4. In 'Works and Days', when does Hesiod tell his brother he should chop wood?
5. Hesiod writes about a fable in 'Works and Days'. What bird is Hesiod's fable about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of a storyteller? How is the oral tradition important in preserving cultures? What role does storytelling play in Hesiod's poetry?
Essay Topic 2
'Theogony' opens quite eloquently but ends abruptly. Discuss the start and conclusion of 'Theogony' and whether these are effective opening and closings. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the Gods or Goddess Hesiod mentions in his poem. Explain the history of that God or Goddess and how they came to be. Explain why mortals worshiped that particular God or Goddess and what interaction the God or Goddesses had with the mortals, if any.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)