|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of Heaven's sons greatly injures her in 'Theogony.' What does the blood of Heaven form after the betrayal?
2. Hesiod tells the audience about a prophecy in 'Theogony.' What does Zeus do to his father that Earth and Heaven predicted?
3. Who is the most awful child of Earth and Heaven?
4. In 'Theogony', which sons does Heaven hate?
5. What does the speaker learn from the Muses in 'Theogony'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which are Zeus' favorite son and daughter? What are their strengths?
2. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
3. Who gives birth to the Titans in 'Theogony' and why are they given that name?
4. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
5. Name three of the offspring of Nereus and Doris.
6. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
7. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
8. Whose conception does Hesiod describe at the start of 'Theogony'? What are the details of this conception?
9. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
10. Describe the battle of the Titans.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss two possible conflicts within 'Works and Days' and provide examples from the text that support your position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism behind the creation story as a birth process. Why do the Greeks describe creation as a birth where in other traditions the earth, trees, oceans etc. are simply created.
Essay Topic 3
Describe each of the generations in 'Works and Days' and how each generation interacts with the Gods.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)