Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift do Apollo and the muses give humans in 'Theogony'?
2. Who gives birth to Themisto, Pronoe and Nemertes?
3. Who is the most awful child of Earth and Heaven?
4. Where does Zeus tie Prometheus?
5. Who is the first of Ocean's children to help Zeus fight the Titans in 'Theogony'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
2. What prophecy does Cronos learn about his son in 'Theogony'? Describe the situation surrounding Zeus' birth.
3. Which God is responsible for holding up the heavens?
4. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
5. Name three of the offspring of Night.
6. Name three of the offspring of Strife.
7. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
8. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
9. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
10. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between omens, superstitions and prophecies. How are they similar? How are they different? Chose one example of each from Hesiod's poem and explain how it fits that definition.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literary term voice and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Who is the voice in this poem and is it an effective choice?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)