|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeus send to Menoetius in 'Theogony', as a punishment for his pride?
2. Why, in 'Theogony', is the woman whose guile is not to be withstood by men created?
3. Where does Zeus tie Prometheus?
4. Who slays Geryones?
5. Who gives birth to Ceto, Eurybia and Nereus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
2. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
3. What is Hesiod's final advice in 'Works and Days' ?
4. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
5. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
6. Name three of the offspring of Nereus and Doris.
7. Which children does Heaven hate in 'Theogony'? Where does she hide those children?
8. Describe the silver generation in 'Works and Days'.
9. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
10. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the story of the Eagle and the Nightingale. Why does Hesiod include this story in 'Works and Days'? What moral does it teach? Choose two elements of the fable and relate them to the overall theme of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of a storyteller? How is the oral tradition important in preserving cultures? What role does storytelling play in Hesiod's poetry?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)