|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift do Apollo and the muses give humans in 'Theogony'?
2. Who gives birth to Themisto, Pronoe and Nemertes?
3. Who is the most awful child of Earth and Heaven?
4. Where does Zeus tie Prometheus?
5. Who is the first of Ocean's children to help Zeus fight the Titans in 'Theogony'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
2. What prophecy does Cronos learn about his son in 'Theogony'? Describe the situation surrounding Zeus' birth.
3. Which God is responsible for holding up the heavens?
4. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
5. Name three of the offspring of Night.
6. Name three of the offspring of Strife.
7. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
8. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
9. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
10. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the Gods or Goddess Hesiod mentions in his poem. Explain the history of that God or Goddess and how they came to be. Explain why mortals worshiped that particular God or Goddess and what interaction the God or Goddesses had with the mortals, if any.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the story of the Eagle and the Nightingale. Why does Hesiod include this story in 'Works and Days'? What moral does it teach? Choose two elements of the fable and relate them to the overall theme of the poem.
Essay Topic 3
Describe each of the generations in 'Works and Days' and how each generation interacts with the Gods.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)