|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives birth to Aether and Day?
2. In 'Theogony', how long do Zeus and Mnemosyne lay together prior to conceiving the Muses?
3. What do Chimaera's heads look like?
4. Hesiod tells the audience about a prophecy in 'Theogony.' What does Zeus do to his father that Earth and Heaven predicted?
5. Who slays Geryones?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
2. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
3. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
4. Name three of the offspring of Nereus and Doris.
5. Why are singers delivered to earth in 'Theogony'? What do the singers sing about?
6. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
7. What prophecy does Cronos learn about his son in 'Theogony'? Describe the situation surrounding Zeus' birth.
8. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
9. Name three of the offspring of Night.
10. Which children does Heaven hate in 'Theogony'? Where does she hide those children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the central theme in either 'Theogony' or 'Works and Days' . Describe how Hesiod demonstrates this theme in his work and the message the theme conveys.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism behind the creation story as a birth process. Why do the Greeks describe creation as a birth where in other traditions the earth, trees, oceans etc. are simply created.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the ways women are described in Hesiod's work. How did the ancient Greeks view women? Site examples from the poems to enhance your argument.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)