|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Zeus' first child?
2. In 'Theogony', what does Earth give Cronus to trick him into thinking she gave him a child?
3. In 'Theogony', what story does the speaker ask the Muses to tell him first?
4. Who is Hercules' mother?
5. How does Hesiod explain in 'Theogony' that Aphrodite is formed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Aphrodite come into being?
2. Which are Zeus' favorite son and daughter? What are their strengths?
3. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
4. Name three of the offspring of Strife.
5. What revenge does Earth take upon Heaven in 'Theogony'? What happens as a result of this revenge?
6. In 'Theogony', which Muse does Hesiod deem the most important and why?
7. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
8. What prophecy does Cronos learn about his son in 'Theogony'? Describe the situation surrounding Zeus' birth.
9. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
10. Name three of the offspring of Night.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of prophesy and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Is it possible to change a prophesy? Site examples from the poem to help your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Hesiod writes that the Gods place a great emphasis on work in 'Works and Days.' Why is work a benefit to the Greek Gods? Does Hesiod address this in his work? Should he? Support your conclusions with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism behind the creation story as a birth process. Why do the Greeks describe creation as a birth where in other traditions the earth, trees, oceans etc. are simply created.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)