|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to 'Theogony', what gift does Zeus give to humans?
2. Who guards the Titans after they are defeated in 'Theogony'?
3. Whose conception does the speaker write about at the start of 'Theogony'?
4. Who gives birth to the Cyclopes?
5. In 'Theogony', who does Zeus honor above all the other Gods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
2. Who does Hesiod write in 'Theogony' is responsible for putting singers on earth?
3. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
4. List three of the offspring that Earth and Heaven conceive?
5. Who, according to 'Theogony', is the first entity to come into the world?
6. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
7. Name three of the offspring of Night.
8. What revenge does Earth take upon Heaven in 'Theogony'? What happens as a result of this revenge?
9. In 'Theogony', which Muse does Hesiod deem the most important and why?
10. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss two possible conflicts within 'Works and Days' and provide examples from the text that support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hesiod's life and works and the achievements he made in his life. What is so important about his works 'Theogony' and 'Works and Days'?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literary term voice and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Who is the voice in this poem and is it an effective choice?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)