|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zeus tie Prometheus?
2. Who gives birth to Ceto, Eurybia and Nereus?
3. In 'Theogony', what does Medusa suffer from?
4. What does Zeus distribute to the immortals in 'Theogony'?
5. How did the Titans receive their name?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 'Theogony', which Muse does Hesiod deem the most important and why?
2. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
3. What does 'Works and Days' suggest a good man listens to?
4. Who does Hesiod write in 'Theogony' is responsible for putting singers on earth?
5. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
6. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
7. Describe the fourth generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
8. Name three of the offspring of Night.
9. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
10. Describe the silver generation in 'Works and Days'.
Essay Topic 1
'Theogony' opens quite eloquently but ends abruptly. Discuss the start and conclusion of 'Theogony' and whether these are effective opening and closings. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss two possible conflicts within 'Works and Days' and provide examples from the text that support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what the title 'Theogony' means including the origin of the word. Why is the title relevant to the poem?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)