|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zeus tie Prometheus?
2. Apollo and the Muses give a gift to humans in 'Theogony'? Why did they give this gift?
3. In 'Theogony', how long do Zeus and Mnemosyne lay together prior to conceiving the Muses?
4. Who rules over the sea?
5. Why is Earth mad at Heaven in 'Theogony'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
2. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
3. Which children does Heaven hate in 'Theogony'? Where does she hide those children?
4. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
5. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
6. Name three of the offspring of Night.
7. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
8. What does Hesiod ask the Muses to tell him about in 'Theogony'?
9. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
10. Who, according to 'Theogony', is the first entity to come into the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the Gods or Goddess Hesiod mentions in his poem. Explain the history of that God or Goddess and how they came to be. Explain why mortals worshiped that particular God or Goddess and what interaction the God or Goddesses had with the mortals, if any.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the literary term voice and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Who is the voice in this poem and is it an effective choice?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what the title 'Theogony' means including the origin of the word. Why is the title relevant to the poem?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)