|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Chimaera?
2. Who does Hesiod claim in 'Theogony' lives in the house of Zeus?
3. Who is the speaker of 'Theogony'?
4. What is Athena's greatest gift?
5. In 'Theogony', which sons does Heaven hate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which are Zeus' favorite son and daughter? What are their strengths?
2. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
3. Which God is responsible for holding up the heavens?
4. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
5. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
6. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
7. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
8. What revenge does Earth take upon Heaven in 'Theogony'? What happens as a result of this revenge?
9. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
10. Why does Zeus punish Prometheus in 'Theogony' and what is the punishment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism behind the creation story as a birth process. Why do the Greeks describe creation as a birth where in other traditions the earth, trees, oceans etc. are simply created.
Essay Topic 2
How were the Muses conceived and discuss the role they play in Hesiod's poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of prophesy and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Is it possible to change a prophesy? Site examples from the poem to help your argument.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)