|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Theogony', what does Earth give Cronus to trick him into thinking she gave him a child?
2. How is Medusa killed in 'Theogony'?
3. How did the Titans receive their name?
4. Where does Heaven hide the sons she hates in 'Theogony'?
5. In 'Theogony', who kills Hydra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
2. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
3. Describe the battle of the Titans.
4. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
5. Name three of the offspring of Strife.
6. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
7. What revenge does Earth take upon Heaven in 'Theogony'? What happens as a result of this revenge?
8. List three of the offspring that Earth and Heaven conceive?
9. Why does Zeus punish Prometheus in 'Theogony' and what is the punishment?
10. Who gives birth to the Titans in 'Theogony' and why are they given that name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the literary term voice and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Who is the voice in this poem and is it an effective choice?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hesiod's life and works and the achievements he made in his life. What is so important about his works 'Theogony' and 'Works and Days'?
Essay Topic 3
Describe each of the generations in 'Works and Days' and how each generation interacts with the Gods.
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)