|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives in a cave under a rock in 'Theogony'?
2. What is Athena's greatest gift?
3. Who is the speaker of 'Theogony'?
4. What do Chimaera's heads look like?
5. In 'Theogony', who does Zeus honor above all the other Gods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
2. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
3. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
4. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
5. List three of the offspring that Earth and Heaven conceive?
6. Name three of the offspring of Nereus and Doris.
7. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
8. Name three of the offspring of Night.
9. Which children does Heaven hate in 'Theogony'? Where does she hide those children?
10. What prophecy does Cronos learn about his son in 'Theogony'? Describe the situation surrounding Zeus' birth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between omens, superstitions and prophecies. How are they similar? How are they different? Chose one example of each from Hesiod's poem and explain how it fits that definition.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the central theme in either 'Theogony' or 'Works and Days' . Describe how Hesiod demonstrates this theme in his work and the message the theme conveys.
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)