|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Muses give the speaker in 'Theogony'?
2. What animal do Ceto and Phorcys give birth to?
3. One of Heaven's sons greatly injures her in 'Theogony.' What does the blood of Heaven form after the betrayal?
4. At the end of Theogony, who does the speaker ask the Muses to sing about?
5. What does Zeus send to Menoetius in 'Theogony', as a punishment for his pride?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prophecy does Cronos learn about his son in 'Theogony'? Describe the situation surrounding Zeus' birth.
2. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
3. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
4. Why are singers delivered to earth in 'Theogony'? What do the singers sing about?
5. Who does Hesiod claim gave him his voice in 'Theogony'?
6. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
7. In Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Aphrodite come into being?
8. Name three of the offspring of Nereus and Doris.
9. Who does Hesiod write in 'Theogony' is responsible for putting singers on earth?
10. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the central theme in either 'Theogony' or 'Works and Days' . Describe how Hesiod demonstrates this theme in his work and the message the theme conveys.
Essay Topic 2
'Theogony' opens quite eloquently but ends abruptly. Discuss the start and conclusion of 'Theogony' and whether these are effective opening and closings. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)