|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives birth to Themisto, Pronoe and Nemertes?
2. What does Zeus receive as a reward in 'Theogony' for murdering Cronus?
3. What does Zeus distribute to the immortals in 'Theogony'?
4. How many heads does Chimaera have?
5. In 'Theogony', what does Earth give Cronus to trick him into thinking she gave him a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are singers delivered to earth in 'Theogony'? What do the singers sing about?
2. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
3. Name three of the offspring of Nereus and Doris.
4. What does Hesiod ask the Muses to tell him about in 'Theogony'?
5. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
6. Name three of the offspring of Night.
7. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
8. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
9. What prophecy does Cronos learn about his son in 'Theogony'? Describe the situation surrounding Zeus' birth.
10. Describe the battle of the Titans.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the title 'Theogony' means including the origin of the word. Why is the title relevant to the poem?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between Gods and mortals in Greek mythology? Compare and contrast this relationship with another religion you are familiar with.
Essay Topic 3
Hesiod writes that the Gods place a great emphasis on work in 'Works and Days.' Why is work a benefit to the Greek Gods? Does Hesiod address this in his work? Should he? Support your conclusions with evidence from the text.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)