|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Goddess, according to 'Theogony', has privileges amongst the heavens, earth and sea?
2. Who gives birth to Ceto, Eurybia and Nereus?
3. In 'Theogony', what story does the speaker ask the Muses to tell him first?
4. Who does Prometheus steal for in 'Theogony'?
5. In 'Theogony', which sons does Heaven hate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
2. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
3. Who, according to 'Theogony', is the first entity to come into the world?
4. Which are Zeus' favorite son and daughter? What are their strengths?
5. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
6. Which children does Heaven hate in 'Theogony'? Where does she hide those children?
7. Describe the battle of the Titans.
8. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
9. Whose conception does Hesiod describe at the start of 'Theogony'? What are the details of this conception?
10. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the story of the Eagle and the Nightingale. Why does Hesiod include this story in 'Works and Days'? What moral does it teach? Choose two elements of the fable and relate them to the overall theme of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the literary term voice and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Who is the voice in this poem and is it an effective choice?
Essay Topic 3
How were the Muses conceived and discuss the role they play in Hesiod's poetry.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)