|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeus distribute to the immortals in 'Theogony'?
2. What animal do Ceto and Phorcys give birth to?
3. Who eats Prometheus' liver?
4. Who is the hound of Hades?
5. In 'Theogony', how does Zeus say men who will do not marry will be punished?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
2. Name three of the offspring of Night.
3. What revenge does Earth take upon Heaven in 'Theogony'? What happens as a result of this revenge?
4. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
5. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
6. What does Hesiod ask the Muses to tell him about in 'Theogony'?
7. Which are Zeus' favorite son and daughter? What are their strengths?
8. Whose conception does Hesiod describe at the start of 'Theogony'? What are the details of this conception?
9. Which children does Heaven hate in 'Theogony'? Where does she hide those children?
10. In Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Aphrodite come into being?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the Gods or Goddess Hesiod mentions in his poem. Explain the history of that God or Goddess and how they came to be. Explain why mortals worshiped that particular God or Goddess and what interaction the God or Goddesses had with the mortals, if any.
Essay Topic 2
Describe each of the generations in 'Works and Days' and how each generation interacts with the Gods.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the audience Hesiod attempts to address in 'Works and Days' ? Why is it important for a writer to keep his or her audience in mind when creating a piece of art?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)