Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift do Apollo and the muses give humans in 'Theogony'?
2. Who gives birth to Themisto, Pronoe and Nemertes?
3. Who is the most awful child of Earth and Heaven?
4. Where does Zeus tie Prometheus?
5. Who is the first of Ocean's children to help Zeus fight the Titans in 'Theogony'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
2. What prophecy does Cronos learn about his son in 'Theogony'? Describe the situation surrounding Zeus' birth.
3. Which God is responsible for holding up the heavens?
4. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
5. Name three of the offspring of Night.
6. Name three of the offspring of Strife.
7. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
8. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
9. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
10. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
Discuss the concept of prophesy and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Is it possible to change a prophesy? Site examples from the poem to help your argument.
Describe Zeus' role amongst the Gods. Why is Zeus the father of all Gods? Choose one time in Hesiod's poem that Zeus is mentioned. What role does Zeus play in that poem and why is that role important?
Analyze the story of the Eagle and the Nightingale. Why does Hesiod include this story in 'Works and Days'? What moral does it teach? Choose two elements of the fable and relate them to the overall theme of the poem.
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)