|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Muses tell a story to Hesiod in 'Theogony'. Who do the Muses say came into the world first?
2. According to 'Theogony', what gift does Zeus give to humans?
3. How does Hesiod explain in 'Theogony' that Aphrodite is formed?
4. Who is the hound of Hades?
5. Who gives birth to Toil, Forgetfulness and Famine.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zeus punish Prometheus in 'Theogony' and what is the punishment?
2. Name three of the offspring of Nereus and Doris.
3. Who does Hesiod write in 'Theogony' is responsible for putting singers on earth?
4. Who, according to 'Theogony', is the first entity to come into the world?
5. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
6. Who gives birth to the Titans in 'Theogony' and why are they given that name?
7. Whose conception does Hesiod describe at the start of 'Theogony'? What are the details of this conception?
8. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
9. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
10. Who does Hesiod claim gave him his voice in 'Theogony'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were the Muses conceived and discuss the role they play in Hesiod's poetry.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism behind the creation story as a birth process. Why do the Greeks describe creation as a birth where in other traditions the earth, trees, oceans etc. are simply created.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literary term voice and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Who is the voice in this poem and is it an effective choice?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)