|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the hound of Hades?
2. In 'Theogony', how long do Zeus and Mnemosyne lay together prior to conceiving the Muses?
3. How is Medusa killed in 'Theogony'?
4. Who gives birth to Doom, Fate, Death and Sleep?
5. What prophecy do Heaven and Earth tell Cronus about in 'Theogony'?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
2. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
3. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
4. In 'Theogony', which Muse does Hesiod deem the most important and why?
5. Whose conception does Hesiod describe at the start of 'Theogony'? What are the details of this conception?
6. When will the Gods ignore a mortals prayers according to 'Works and Days'?
7. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
8. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
9. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
10. Who, according to 'Works and Days', reports to Zeus about the behavior of men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the audience Hesiod attempts to address in 'Works and Days' ? Why is it important for a writer to keep his or her audience in mind when creating a piece of art?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism behind the creation story as a birth process. Why do the Greeks describe creation as a birth where in other traditions the earth, trees, oceans etc. are simply created.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hesiod's life and works and the achievements he made in his life. What is so important about his works 'Theogony' and 'Works and Days'?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)