|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift do Apollo and the muses give humans in 'Theogony'?
2. Who gives birth to Themisto, Pronoe and Nemertes?
3. Who is the most awful child of Earth and Heaven?
4. Where does Zeus tie Prometheus?
5. Who is the first of Ocean's children to help Zeus fight the Titans in 'Theogony'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
2. What prophecy does Cronos learn about his son in 'Theogony'? Describe the situation surrounding Zeus' birth.
3. Which God is responsible for holding up the heavens?
4. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
5. Name three of the offspring of Night.
6. Name three of the offspring of Strife.
7. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
8. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
9. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
10. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
Essay Topic 1
Who is the audience Hesiod attempts to address in 'Works and Days' ? Why is it important for a writer to keep his or her audience in mind when creating a piece of art?
Essay Topic 2
'Theogony' opens quite eloquently but ends abruptly. Discuss the start and conclusion of 'Theogony' and whether these are effective opening and closings. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)