|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives birth to Ceto, Eurybia and Nereus?
2. Who is referred to as the old man in 'Theogony'?
3. Who is Hercules' mother?
4. Hesiod discusses the lineage of several Gods in 'Theogony'. Who is Zeus' father?
5. Who gives birth to the Cyclopes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who gives birth to the Titans in 'Theogony' and why are they given that name?
2. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
3. Which children does Heaven hate in 'Theogony'? Where does she hide those children?
4. Who, according to 'Theogony', is the first entity to come into the world?
5. What does Hesiod ask the Muses to tell him about in 'Theogony'?
6. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
7. What revenge does Earth take upon Heaven in 'Theogony'? What happens as a result of this revenge?
8. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
9. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
10. Which God is responsible for holding up the heavens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of a storyteller? How is the oral tradition important in preserving cultures? What role does storytelling play in Hesiod's poetry?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism behind the creation story as a birth process. Why do the Greeks describe creation as a birth where in other traditions the earth, trees, oceans etc. are simply created.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the ways women are described in Hesiod's work. How did the ancient Greeks view women? Site examples from the poems to enhance your argument.
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)