|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the hound of Hades?
2. In 'Theogony', what does Atlas hold?
3. Apollo and the Muses give a gift to humans in 'Theogony'? Why did they give this gift?
4. Who do Thaumas and Electra give birth to?
5. In 'Theogony', who does Zeus honor above all the other Gods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battle of the Titans.
2. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
3. Why are singers delivered to earth in 'Theogony'? What do the singers sing about?
4. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
5. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
6. What does Hesiod ask the Muses to tell him about in 'Theogony'?
7. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
8. In Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Aphrodite come into being?
9. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
10. In 'Theogony', which Muse does Hesiod deem the most important and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hesiod's life and works and the achievements he made in his life. What is so important about his works 'Theogony' and 'Works and Days'?
Essay Topic 2
Hesiod writes that the Gods place a great emphasis on work in 'Works and Days.' Why is work a benefit to the Greek Gods? Does Hesiod address this in his work? Should he? Support your conclusions with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the Gods or Goddess Hesiod mentions in his poem. Explain the history of that God or Goddess and how they came to be. Explain why mortals worshiped that particular God or Goddess and what interaction the God or Goddesses had with the mortals, if any.
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)