|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the speaker of 'Theogony'?
2. Apollo and the Muses give a gift to humans in 'Theogony'? Why did they give this gift?
3. Who gives birth to Doom, Fate, Death and Sleep?
4. Why, in 'Theogony', is the woman whose guile is not to be withstood by men created?
5. In 'Theogony', who kills Hydra?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who, according to 'Theogony', is the first entity to come into the world?
2. Which God is responsible for holding up the heavens?
3. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
4. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
5. Who gives birth to the Titans in 'Theogony' and why are they given that name?
6. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
7. Name three of the offspring of Strife.
8. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
9. Name three of the offspring of Nereus and Doris.
10. List three of the offspring that Earth and Heaven conceive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the central theme in either 'Theogony' or 'Works and Days' . Describe how Hesiod demonstrates this theme in his work and the message the theme conveys.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of prophesy and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Is it possible to change a prophesy? Site examples from the poem to help your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the Gods or Goddess Hesiod mentions in his poem. Explain the history of that God or Goddess and how they came to be. Explain why mortals worshiped that particular God or Goddess and what interaction the God or Goddesses had with the mortals, if any.
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)