|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Apollo and the Muses give a gift to humans in 'Theogony'? Why did they give this gift?
2. Which son, according to 'Theogony', decides to betray Heaven and help Earth recover his sons?
3. In 'Theogony', how does Zeus say men who will do not marry will be punished?
4. Who gives birth to the Cyclopes?
5. Who rules over the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his eyes away from his neighbor's riches?
2. When will the Gods ignore a mortals prayers according to 'Works and Days'?
3. Who gives birth to the Titans in 'Theogony' and why are they given that name?
4. Describe the lands of badness and goodness as described in 'Works and Days'.
5. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
6. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
7. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
8. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
9. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days' he writes a fable. What is Hesiod's fable for princes?
10. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the story of the Eagle and the Nightingale. Why does Hesiod include this story in 'Works and Days'? What moral does it teach? Choose two elements of the fable and relate them to the overall theme of the poem.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of prophesy and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Is it possible to change a prophesy? Site examples from the poem to help your argument.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)