|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Muses tell a story to Hesiod in 'Theogony'. Who do the Muses say came into the world first?
2. Who do Thaumas and Electra give birth to?
3. Who is Hecate the nurse of?
4. Who slays Geryones?
5. Who gives birth to Aether and Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name three of the offspring of Night.
2. Who gives birth to the Titans in 'Theogony' and why are they given that name?
3. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
4. Name three of the offspring of Nereus and Doris.
5. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
6. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
7. List three of the offspring that Earth and Heaven conceive?
8. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
9. Which God is responsible for holding up the heavens?
10. What prophecy does Cronos learn about his son in 'Theogony'? Describe the situation surrounding Zeus' birth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the story of the Eagle and the Nightingale. Why does Hesiod include this story in 'Works and Days'? What moral does it teach? Choose two elements of the fable and relate them to the overall theme of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Zeus' role amongst the Gods. Why is Zeus the father of all Gods? Choose one time in Hesiod's poem that Zeus is mentioned. What role does Zeus play in that poem and why is that role important?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literary term voice and how it is used in 'Theogony'. Who is the voice in this poem and is it an effective choice?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)