|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is referred to as the old man in 'Theogony'?
2. Who lives in a cave under a rock in 'Theogony'?
3. How did the Titans receive their name?
4. In 'Theogony', who does Zeus honor above all the other Gods?
5. Who is Zeus' first child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the golden generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
2. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
3. Who does Hesiod claim gave him his voice in 'Theogony'?
4. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
5. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
6. Which children does Heaven hate in 'Theogony'? Where does she hide those children?
7. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
8. What is Hesiod's final advice in 'Works and Days' ?
9. List three of the offspring that Earth and Heaven conceive?
10. At what time of year, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid being outside? When is it alright to be outside?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Zeus' role amongst the Gods. Why is Zeus the father of all Gods? Choose one time in Hesiod's poem that Zeus is mentioned. What role does Zeus play in that poem and why is that role important?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
Essay Topic 3
Describe each of the generations in 'Works and Days' and how each generation interacts with the Gods.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)