|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hesiod explain in 'Theogony' that Aphrodite is formed?
2. How many heads does Geryones have?
3. Who does Hesiod claim in 'Theogony' lives in the house of Zeus?
4. The Muses tell a story to Hesiod in 'Theogony'. Who do the Muses say came into the world first?
5. What is the job of the Muses that 'Theogony' deems most important?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battle of the Titans.
2. Which are Zeus' favorite son and daughter? What are their strengths?
3. Who does Hesiod claim gave him his voice in 'Theogony'?
4. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
5. Why does Zeus punish Prometheus in 'Theogony' and what is the punishment?
6. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
7. What does Hesiod ask the Muses to tell him about in 'Theogony'?
8. Who gives birth to the Titans in 'Theogony' and why are they given that name?
9. In 'Theogony', which Muse does Hesiod deem the most important and why?
10. Why are singers delivered to earth in 'Theogony'? What do the singers sing about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of a storyteller? How is the oral tradition important in preserving cultures? What role does storytelling play in Hesiod's poetry?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hesiod's life and works and the achievements he made in his life. What is so important about his works 'Theogony' and 'Works and Days'?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)