|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Apollo and the Muses give a gift to humans in 'Theogony'? Why did they give this gift?
2. According to Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Cronus try to prevent Heaven and Earth's prophecy?
3. What happens to Prometheus' liver every day?
4. What do Chimaera's heads look like?
5. In 'Theogony', why do the Gods choose Zeus to rule them?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
2. Which God is responsible for holding up the heavens?
3. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
4. What prophecy does Cronos learn about his son in 'Theogony'? Describe the situation surrounding Zeus' birth.
5. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
6. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
7. What does Hesiod ask the Muses to tell him about in 'Theogony'?
8. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
9. In Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Aphrodite come into being?
10. Which are Zeus' favorite son and daughter? What are their strengths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the title 'Theogony' means including the origin of the word. Why is the title relevant to the poem?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between omens, superstitions and prophecies. How are they similar? How are they different? Chose one example of each from Hesiod's poem and explain how it fits that definition.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)