|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many heads does Geryones have?
2. Which son, according to 'Theogony', decides to betray Heaven and help Earth recover his sons?
3. Who gives birth to Doom, Fate, Death and Sleep?
4. What are the names of the Cyclopes?
5. Hesiod discusses the lineage of several Gods in 'Theogony'. Who is Zeus' father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who, according to 'Theogony', is the first entity to come into the world?
2. Which God is responsible for holding up the heavens?
3. Who does Hesiod write in 'Theogony' is responsible for putting singers on earth?
4. Which children does Heaven hate in 'Theogony'? Where does she hide those children?
5. Who gives birth to the Titans in 'Theogony' and why are they given that name?
6. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
7. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
8. What revenge does Earth take upon Heaven in 'Theogony'? What happens as a result of this revenge?
9. Why are singers delivered to earth in 'Theogony'? What do the singers sing about?
10. Which are Zeus' favorite son and daughter? What are their strengths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were the Muses conceived and discuss the role they play in Hesiod's poetry.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the story of the Eagle and the Nightingale. Why does Hesiod include this story in 'Works and Days'? What moral does it teach? Choose two elements of the fable and relate them to the overall theme of the poem.
Essay Topic 3
'Theogony' opens quite eloquently but ends abruptly. Discuss the start and conclusion of 'Theogony' and whether these are effective opening and closings. Why or why not?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)