|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the speaker learn from the Muses in 'Theogony'?
2. Who eventually give Zeus thunder?
3. What is the speaker of 'Theogony' supposed to celebrate?
4. How does Heaven's son betray her in 'Theogony'?
5. In 'Theogony', how long do Zeus and Mnemosyne lay together prior to conceiving the Muses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
2. Which are Zeus' favorite son and daughter? What are their strengths?
3. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
4. Who does Hesiod write in 'Theogony' is responsible for putting singers on earth?
5. What revenge does Earth take upon Heaven in 'Theogony'? What happens as a result of this revenge?
6. What does Hesiod ask the Muses to tell him about in 'Theogony'?
7. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
8. List three of the offspring that Earth and Heaven conceive?
9. Name three of the offspring of Night.
10. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between omens, superstitions and prophecies. How are they similar? How are they different? Chose one example of each from Hesiod's poem and explain how it fits that definition.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the creation story in 'Theogony' to that of another creation story of your choosing. How is Greek mythology similar to other creation stories?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the story of the Eagle and the Nightingale. Why does Hesiod include this story in 'Works and Days'? What moral does it teach? Choose two elements of the fable and relate them to the overall theme of the poem.
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)