|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the moral of the fable in 'Works and Days'?
(a) Fight till the finish.
(b) Sinners will be punished.
(c) Don't try and withstand the stronger being.
(d) The meek shall inherit the earth.
2. How many people, in 'Works and Days', can Zeus provide wealth to?
(b) Very few.
(c) A great number.
3. Who does Justice tell Zeus about?
(a) Children who sin.
(b) Muses who are lazy.
(c) Gods who commit treason.
(d) Men with wicked hearts.
4. What does Hesiod suggest to his brother in 'Works and Days' to do if it is windy outside?
(a) Not complain.
(c) Breathe deeply.
(d) Finish his work quickly.
5. What does a little plus a little equal according to Hesiod in 'Works and Days'?
(a) Less than before.
(b) A little.
(d) Much more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the fifth generation never rest from in 'Works and Days'?
2. What does Zeus provide man with in 'Works and Days'?
3. According to Hesiod in 'Works and Days', what is the fourth generation made up of?
4. Who does Hesiod say teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about finery in 'Works and Days'?
5. What trade does Hesiod offer to teach his brother in 'Works and Days'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does 'Works and Days' suggest a good man listens to?
2. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
3. When will the Gods ignore a mortals prayers according to 'Works and Days'?
4. At what time of year, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid being outside? When is it alright to be outside?
5. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
6. What happens when Pandora opens her box?
7. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
8. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
9. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
10. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)