|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what should the slaves do when Orion appears?
(a) Winnow the grain.
(b) Churn the butter.
(d) Cut the corn.
2. How many days of winter are there according to 'Works and Days'?
3. Who, in 'Works and Days', teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about deceit?
4. What does not exist before Pandora walks amongst the mortals?
5. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the silver generation when Zeus puts them away?
2. What temperature, does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days', his brother should avoid?
3. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust?
4. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod say his brother should build in the summer?
5. According to Hesiod in 'Works and Days', what is the fourth generation made up of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
2. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his eyes away from his neighbor's riches?
3. Hesiod writes about the different generations in 'Works and Days'. Describe the third generation.
4. Describe the golden generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
5. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
6. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
7. What is Hesiod's final advice in 'Works and Days' ?
8. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
9. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
10. Who should farmers pray to in order to increase their grain supply?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)