|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to 'Works and Days', who will punish those who are cruel?
2. What does a little plus a little equal according to Hesiod in 'Works and Days'?
(a) Much more.
(c) Less than before.
(d) A little.
3. What, according to 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say provides food and is not a disgrace?
4. In 'Works and Days', what is the name of the maiden Zeus prepares for the mortals?
5. Who, in 'Works and Days', should plow men pray to in order to obtain good crops?
(a) Athena and Hercules.
(b) Zeus and Demeter.
(c) Apollo and Athena.
(d) Adonis and Zeus.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what holiday follows winter?
2. How many days of winter are there according to 'Works and Days'?
3. What does Hesiod tell his brother to do, in 'Works and Days', if he wants wealth?
4. Who reports to Zeus on the behavior of men?
5. How close is the land of Badness?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
2. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
3. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
4. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
5. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
6. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
7. What does 'Works and Days' suggest a good man listens to?
8. Hesiod writes about the different generations in 'Works and Days'. Describe the third generation.
9. What is Hesiod's final advice in 'Works and Days' ?
10. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)