|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trade does Hesiod offer to teach his brother in 'Works and Days'?
2. In 'Works and Days', what does plowing too late in the season result in?
(a) A bankrupt farm.
(b) A small yield.
(c) A draught.
(d) No money.
3. When will the late plower compete with the early plower according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) When Zeus sends rain.
(b) When the rooster crows.
(c) When the seal barks.
(d) When Apollo sends rain.
4. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', Hesiod suggests that farmers use ox. How old should oxen be when attached to the plow?
5. What animal marks the time for plowing?
(a) The crane.
(b) The sheep.
(c) The pig.
(d) The rooster.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what is the name of the maiden Zeus prepares for the mortals?
2. What temperature, does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days', his brother should avoid?
3. What does a little plus a little equal according to Hesiod in 'Works and Days'?
4. What is the fourth generation like in 'Works and Days'?
5. According to 'Works and Days', where does Zeus place the survivors of the fourth generation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
2. What is Hesiod's final advice in 'Works and Days' ?
3. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days' he writes a fable. What is Hesiod's fable for princes?
4. Who, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust and why?
5. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
6. Who does Hesiod ask for help in writing the poem 'Works and Days' ?
7. Who, according to 'Works and Days', reports to Zeus about the behavior of men?
8. Who should farmers pray to in order to increase their grain supply?
9. At what time of year, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid being outside? When is it alright to be outside?
10. Hesiod writes about the different generations in 'Works and Days'. Describe the third generation.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)