|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, in 'Works and Days', teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about deceit?
2. According to 'Works and Days', who will punish those who are cruel?
3. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
(a) In the morning.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) At night.
(d) He will never sleep.
4. Who does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should sacrifice to?
(a) The Gods.
(c) His village.
(d) The Muses.
5. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', what does Zeus make man better than?
(b) The heavens.
(d) The Mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', Hesiod suggests that farmers use ox. How old should oxen be when attached to the plow?
2. What does the author not want the subject of 'Works and Days' to fall prey to?
3. What does a good servant do during plow time according to 'Works and Days'?
4. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
5. In the fable in 'Works and Days', who does the bird attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
2. What does 'Works and Days' suggest a good man listens to?
3. Who, according to 'Works and Days', reports to Zeus about the behavior of men?
4. Who should farmers pray to in order to increase their grain supply?
5. What happens when Pandora opens her box?
6. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
7. Describe the silver generation in 'Works and Days'.
8. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
9. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
10. At what time of year, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid being outside? When is it alright to be outside?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)