|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod create a fable for?
(a) The Gods.
(b) The reader.
2. Who finds the object in 'Works and Days' that Zeus hides from mortals?
(c) Prometheus .
3. What will happen to those that judge straight according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) They will prosper.
(b) The will perish.
(c) The will go to Hades.
(d) They will sin.
4. According to 'Works and Days', what does Zeus hide from men?
5. How do the third generation, in 'Works and Days', become spirits?
(a) The Muses destroy them.
(b) They destroy each other.
(c) A comet hits the earth.
(d) The Gods destroy them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why should a man be hired at a certain age according to 'Works and Days'?
2. What trade does Hesiod offer to teach his brother in 'Works and Days'?
3. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod say the God's will destroy?
4. In 'Works and Days', what holiday follows winter?
5. What does Pandora release amongst the mortals when she lifts the lid off her jar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
2. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
3. At what time of year, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid being outside? When is it alright to be outside?
4. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
5. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
6. Describe the silver generation in 'Works and Days'.
7. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
8. What happens when Pandora opens her box?
9. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
10. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)