|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How close is the land of Badness?
(a) A lifetime away.
(c) Far away.
(d) 500 miles.
2. Hesiod writes about a fable in 'Works and Days'. What bird is Hesiod's fable about?
(a) A canary.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A mockingbird.
(d) A sparrow.
3. According to 'Works and Days', if a man listens to wise council, what does it make him?
(a) A young man.
(b) A king.
(c) A foolish man.
(d) A wise man.
4. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
5. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
(a) Strong and violent.
(b) Weak and sad.
(c) Foolish and silly.
(d) Wise and gentle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeus provide man with in 'Works and Days'?
2. What happens to the silver generation when Zeus puts them away?
3. What does Hesiod say is the best type of man in his poem 'Works and Days'?
4. In 'Works and Days', who teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about grace and beauty?
5. In 'Works and Days', what is the name of the maiden Zeus prepares for the mortals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
2. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
3. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
4. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
5. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
6. Who should farmers pray to in order to increase their grain supply?
7. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
8. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
9. Describe the fourth generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
10. Who, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust and why?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)