|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does not exist before Pandora walks amongst the mortals?
2. What, in 'Works and Days', can man tell the difference between?
(a) Hades and heaven.
(b) Left and right.
(c) Right and wrong.
(d) Gods and mortals.
3. What will happen to those that judge straight according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) The will perish.
(b) They will prosper.
(c) They will sin.
(d) The will go to Hades.
4. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod say the God's will destroy?
(a) Those who take anothers wealth.
(b) Those who go to war.
(c) Those who sin.
(d) Those who murder.
5. Why should a man be hired at a certain age according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) He will be young.
(b) He will not be distracted.
(c) He will be old.
(d) He will be married.
Short Answer Questions
1. When will the late plower compete with the early plower according to 'Works and Days'?
2. What animal marks the time for plowing?
3. How do the third generation, in 'Works and Days', become spirits?
4. What size ship should his brother use if he chooses seafaring, writes Hesiod?
5. Why, in 'Works and Days', is it important to choose oxen that are a certain age?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
2. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
3. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
4. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
5. Describe the golden generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
6. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
7. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
8. What does 'Works and Days' suggest a good man listens to?
9. Describe the fourth generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
10. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)