|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say provides food and is not a disgrace?
2. According to 'Works and Days', if a man listens to wise council, what does it make him?
(a) A young man.
(b) A foolish man.
(c) A wise man.
(d) A king.
3. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust?
4. Who is Hesoid's brother?
5. Who does 'Works and Days' address?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', Hesiod suggests that farmers use ox. How old should oxen be when attached to the plow?
2. Who reports to Zeus on the behavior of men?
3. What does the author not want the subject of 'Works and Days' to fall prey to?
4. What is Hesiod's parting advice in 'Works and Days'?
5. Who is Justice?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
2. Who does Hesiod ask for help in writing the poem 'Works and Days' ?
3. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
4. What is Hesiod's final advice in 'Works and Days' ?
5. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
6. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
7. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
8. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his eyes away from his neighbor's riches?
9. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
10. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)