|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finds the object in 'Works and Days' that Zeus hides from mortals?
(b) Prometheus .
2. How close is the land of goodness?
(a) 20 miles.
(c) A lifetime away.
(d) Far away.
3. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', what does Zeus make man better than?
(a) The heavens.
(c) The Mountains.
4. According to 'Works and Days', where does Zeus place the survivors of the fourth generation?
(a) In a cave.
(b) In a house in the ocean.
(c) In Mount Olympus.
(d) An abode at the ends of the earth.
5. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid in the winter?
(a) The smithy.
(b) The barn.
(c) The stable.
(d) The church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in 'Works and Days', is the fifth generation made of?
2. What does Hesiod tell his brother to do, in 'Works and Days', if he wants wealth?
3. In 'Works and Days', how do members of the fourth generation die?
4. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
5. According to Hesiod in 'Works and Days', what is the fourth generation made up of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the lands of badness and goodness as described in 'Works and Days'.
2. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
3. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
4. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
5. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
6. What happens when Pandora opens her box?
7. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
8. What does 'Works and Days' suggest a good man listens to?
9. Who, according to 'Works and Days', reports to Zeus about the behavior of men?
10. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)