|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, in 'Works and Days', can man tell the difference between?
(a) Gods and mortals.
(b) Left and right.
(c) Right and wrong.
(d) Hades and heaven.
2. Hesiod writes about a fable in 'Works and Days'. What bird is Hesiod's fable about?
(a) A mockingbird.
(b) A sparrow.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A canary.
3. What reputation should men avoid according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) A pious reputation.
(b) A stingy reputation.
(c) A bad reputation.
(d) A good reputation.
4. What is the moral of the fable in 'Works and Days'?
(a) Sinners will be punished.
(b) Don't try and withstand the stronger being.
(c) The meek shall inherit the earth.
(d) Fight till the finish.
5. Who does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should sacrifice to?
(a) The Gods.
(b) His village.
(d) The Muses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does not exist before Pandora walks amongst the mortals?
2. What do idle men envy in 'Works and Days'?
3. How many people, in 'Works and Days', can Zeus provide wealth to?
4. Who does Hesiod say teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about finery in 'Works and Days'?
5. What happens to the silver generation when Zeus puts them away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who should farmers pray to in order to increase their grain supply?
2. Who, according to 'Works and Days', reports to Zeus about the behavior of men?
3. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
4. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
5. Who does Hesiod ask for help in writing the poem 'Works and Days' ?
6. What does 'Works and Days' suggest a good man listens to?
7. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
8. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days' he writes a fable. What is Hesiod's fable for princes?
9. What is Hesiod's final advice in 'Works and Days' ?
10. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)