|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, in 'Works and Days', teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about deceit?
2. What do idle men envy in 'Works and Days'?
(c) Holy men.
3. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod say the God's will destroy?
(a) Those who murder.
(b) Those who take anothers wealth.
(c) Those who sin.
(d) Those who go to war.
4. According to 'Works and Days', who will punish those who are cruel?
5. How many sources does the speaker in 'Works and Days' say men and mortals spring from?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the third generation, in 'Works and Days', become spirits?
2. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
3. What will appear to man when spring begins according to Hesiod's poem, 'Works and Days'?
4. What is the moral of the fable in 'Works and Days'?
5. What animal marks the time for plowing?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
2. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days' he writes a fable. What is Hesiod's fable for princes?
3. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his eyes away from his neighbor's riches?
4. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
5. Who does Hesiod ask for help in writing the poem 'Works and Days' ?
6. Describe the golden generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
7. Describe the silver generation in 'Works and Days'.
8. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
9. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
10. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)