|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Justice tell Zeus about?
(a) Muses who are lazy.
(b) Gods who commit treason.
(c) Children who sin.
(d) Men with wicked hearts.
2. What does a little plus a little equal according to Hesiod in 'Works and Days'?
(a) Less than before.
(c) Much more.
(d) A little.
3. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
4. What does the author not want the subject of 'Works and Days' to fall prey to?
5. How many people, in 'Works and Days', can Zeus provide wealth to?
(a) Very few.
(d) A great number.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fourth generation like in 'Works and Days'?
2. What, according to 'Works and Days', are the men in the silver generation like?
3. What will appear to man when spring begins according to Hesiod's poem, 'Works and Days'?
4. What does Hesiod tell his brother to do, in 'Works and Days', if he wants wealth?
5. Who does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should sacrifice to?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
2. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his eyes away from his neighbor's riches?
3. Describe the lands of badness and goodness as described in 'Works and Days'.
4. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
5. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
6. What does 'Works and Days' suggest a good man listens to?
7. Who, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust and why?
8. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
9. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
10. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)