|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod say his brother should build in the summer?
2. Who, in 'Works and Days', should plow men pray to in order to obtain good crops?
(a) Apollo and Athena.
(b) Athena and Hercules.
(c) Zeus and Demeter.
(d) Adonis and Zeus.
3. In 'Works and Days', when does Hesiod tell his brother he should chop wood?
4. What size ship should his brother use if he chooses seafaring, writes Hesiod?
(a) 3 ships.
(b) A small ship.
(c) A large ship.
(d) A medium ship.
5. Who does 'Works and Days' address?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', how do members of the fourth generation die?
2. In 'Works and Days', what makes both Gods and men angry?
3. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
4. Who reports to Zeus on the behavior of men?
5. What do idle men envy in 'Works and Days'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hesiod's final advice in 'Works and Days' ?
2. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
3. Who should farmers pray to in order to increase their grain supply?
4. Describe the lands of badness and goodness as described in 'Works and Days'.
5. In 'Works and Days', what are the two types of strife according to Hesiod?
6. Describe the fourth generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
7. Describe the silver generation in 'Works and Days'.
8. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
9. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
10. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)