|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hesiod say constructs Zeus' maiden for the mortals in 'Works and Days'?
2. What, in 'Works and Days', can man tell the difference between?
(a) Gods and mortals.
(b) Hades and heaven.
(c) Right and wrong.
(d) Left and right.
3. Why, in 'Works and Days', is it important to choose oxen that are a certain age?
(a) They are just born.
(b) They are easily trained.
(c) The will die soon.
(d) They will not fight.
4. What is Hesiod's parting advice in 'Works and Days'?
(a) Practice what you preach.
(b) Avoid offending the gods.
(c) Follow the golden rule.
(d) Look for the Muses.
5. What, in 'Works and Days', is the fifth generation made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why should a man be hired at a certain age according to 'Works and Days'?
2. In 'Works and Days', what is the name of the maiden Zeus prepares for the mortals?
3. What is the fourth generation like in 'Works and Days'?
4. How many goods does Hesiod advise his brother to keep at home?
5. How many kinds of strife exist according to 'Works and Days'?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what time of year, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid being outside? When is it alright to be outside?
2. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his eyes away from his neighbor's riches?
3. Describe the lands of badness and goodness as described in 'Works and Days'.
4. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
5. Who, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust and why?
6. What does Prometheus steal from Zeus to give to mortals in 'Works and Days'?
7. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
8. What happens when Pandora opens her box?
9. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days' he writes a fable. What is Hesiod's fable for princes?
10. What does 'Works and Days' suggest a good man listens to?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)