|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zeus provide man with in 'Works and Days'?
2. Who is Hesoid's brother?
3. In 'Works and Days', where do the third generation's spirits travel?
(a) The heavens.
(d) Mount Olympus.
4. What does the author not want the subject of 'Works and Days' to fall prey to?
5. In 'Works and Days', when does Hesiod tell his brother he should chop wood?
Short Answer Questions
1. What size ship should his brother use if he chooses seafaring, writes Hesiod?
2. Who is Justice?
3. What will appear to man when spring begins according to Hesiod's poem, 'Works and Days'?
4. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
5. What does Hesiod tell his brother to do, in 'Works and Days', if he wants wealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
2. Describe the silver generation in 'Works and Days'.
3. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
4. Describe the fifth generation in 'Works and Days'.
5. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
6. Who does Hesiod address 'Works and Days' to?
7. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
8. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days' he writes a fable. What is Hesiod's fable for princes?
9. Hesiod writes about the different generations in 'Works and Days'. Describe the third generation.
10. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)