|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What race of men does Cronos create in 'Works and Days'?
(a) A silver race.
(b) A bronze race.
(c) A golden race.
(d) A metal race.
2. Why, in 'Works and Days', is it important to choose oxen that are a certain age?
(a) The will die soon.
(b) They are just born.
(c) They will not fight.
(d) They are easily trained.
3. According to 'Works and Days', when should a father die if a second son is born?
(b) At a young age.
(c) At old age.
(d) A father should never have a second son.
4. What does Zeus provide man with in 'Works and Days'?
5. Who does 'Works and Days' address?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Justice tell Zeus about?
2. How many sources does the speaker in 'Works and Days' say men and mortals spring from?
3. What does Pandora release amongst the mortals when she lifts the lid off her jar?
4. In 'Works and Days', who does Hermes deliver the maiden Zeus constructs to?
5. According to 'Works and Days', where does Zeus place the survivors of the fourth generation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
2. What, according to 'Works and Days', should be avoided during the harvest time?
3. Describe the golden generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
4. Describe the lands of badness and goodness as described in 'Works and Days'.
5. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
6. Who, according to 'Works and Days', reports to Zeus about the behavior of men?
7. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
8. When will the Gods ignore a mortals prayers according to 'Works and Days'?
9. Who does Hesiod ask for help in writing the poem 'Works and Days' ?
10. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)