|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 'Theogony', which sons does Heaven hate?
(a) Cottus, Briareos and Gyes.
(b) Brontes, Steroppes and Hera.
(c) Phoebe, Tethys and Arges.
(d) Zeus and Apollo.
2. Hesiod tells the audience about a prophecy in 'Theogony.' What does Zeus do to his father that Earth and Heaven predicted?
(a) Hugs him.
(b) Overpowers him.
(c) Murders him.
(d) Kisses him.
3. Who gives birth to the Cyclopes?
4. What does Hesiod claim in 'Theogony' that Prometheus steals from Zeus?
5. What creature does Hera raise to plague the Nemeans?
(a) A turtle.
(b) A bear.
(c) A lion.
(d) A wolf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives birth to Doom, Fate, Death and Sleep?
2. One of Heaven's sons greatly injures her in 'Theogony.' What does the blood of Heaven form after the betrayal?
3. Why, in 'Theogony', is the woman whose guile is not to be withstood by men created?
4. Why is Earth mad at Heaven in 'Theogony'?
5. Which Goddess, according to 'Theogony', has privileges amongst the heavens, earth and sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battle of the Titans.
2. What prophecy does Cronos learn about his son in 'Theogony'? Describe the situation surrounding Zeus' birth.
3. Which God is responsible for holding up the heavens?
4. Whose conception does Hesiod describe at the start of 'Theogony'? What are the details of this conception?
5. In 'Theogony', which Muse does Hesiod deem the most important and why?
6. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
7. Name three of the offspring of Nereus and Doris.
8. In Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Aphrodite come into being?
9. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
10. Who does Hesiod claim gave him his voice in 'Theogony'?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)