|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hesiod tells the audience about a prophecy in 'Theogony.' What does Zeus do to his father that Earth and Heaven predicted?
(a) Overpowers him.
(b) Hugs him.
(c) Kisses him.
(d) Murders him.
2. How did the Titans receive their name?
(a) From their father.
(b) From the Earth.
(c) From Zeus.
(d) From a fearful deed they committed.
3. What animal do Ceto and Phorcys give birth to?
(a) A snake.
(b) A lion.
(c) A dog.
(d) A fish.
4. What is the job of the Muses that 'Theogony' deems most important?
(a) Feed dew to heaven-chosen princes.
(b) Sing to Zeus.
(c) Feed Zeus grapes.
(d) Create poetry for the Greeks.
5. Who gives birth to Doom, Fate, Death and Sleep?
(b) The Muses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift do Apollo and the muses give humans in 'Theogony'?
2. In 'Theogony', who does Zeus honor above all the other Gods?
3. In 'Theogony', what does Atlas hold?
4. What happens in 'Theogony' when Zeus murders Cronus?
5. Who does the speaker praise in the beginning of 'Theogony' ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battle of the Titans.
2. List three of the offspring that Earth and Heaven conceive?
3. Name three of the offspring of Night.
4. Who gives birth to the Titans in 'Theogony' and why are they given that name?
5. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
6. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
7. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
8. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
9. Why are singers delivered to earth in 'Theogony'? What do the singers sing about?
10. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)