|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Zeus born?
(a) On top of a mountain.
(b) In heaven.
(c) Rome, Italy.
(d) Lyetus of Crete.
2. Whose conception does the speaker write about at the start of 'Theogony'?
(b) The Muses.
3. In 'Theogony', how does Zeus say men who will do not marry will be punished?
(a) They will die a cruel death.
(b) They will live forever.
(c) They will be marked with a curse.
(d) They will have no one to take care of them.
4. What does the speaker learn from the Muses in 'Theogony'?
5. In 'Theogony', where does Zeus' mother hide him?
(a) In the ocean.
(b) In a palace.
(c) In a cave.
(d) In a tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Theogony', how long do Zeus and Mnemosyne lay together prior to conceiving the Muses?
2. What does Zeus distribute to the immortals in 'Theogony'?
3. Who kills Chimaera?
4. Who guards the Titans after they are defeated in 'Theogony'?
5. What does Hesiod claim in 'Theogony' that Prometheus steals from Zeus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the silver generation in 'Works and Days'.
2. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
3. What revenge does Earth take upon Heaven in 'Theogony'? What happens as a result of this revenge?
4. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
5. Whose conception does Hesiod describe at the start of 'Theogony'? What are the details of this conception?
6. Describe the battle of the Titans.
7. List three of the offspring that Earth and Heaven conceive?
8. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
9. What happens when Pandora opens her box?
10. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)