|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Muses tell a story to Hesiod in 'Theogony'. Who do the Muses say came into the world first?
2. Where is Zeus born?
(a) Rome, Italy.
(b) In heaven.
(c) On top of a mountain.
(d) Lyetus of Crete.
3. In 'Theogony', why do the Gods choose Zeus to rule them?
(a) He beat the Titans.
(b) He beats Typhoeus.
(c) He controls lightning.
(d) He controls thunder.
4. Whose conception does the speaker write about at the start of 'Theogony'?
(c) The Muses.
5. Who is the first of Ocean's children to help Zeus fight the Titans in 'Theogony'?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives in a cave under a rock in 'Theogony'?
2. In 'Theogony', which sons does Heaven hate?
3. Who is referred to as the old man in 'Theogony'?
4. What does Zeus distribute to the immortals in 'Theogony'?
5. In 'Theogony', how long do Zeus and Mnemosyne lay together prior to conceiving the Muses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
2. Why are singers delivered to earth in 'Theogony'? What do the singers sing about?
3. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
4. Who, according to 'Theogony', is the first entity to come into the world?
5. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
6. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
7. Who does Hesiod give praise to at the start of 'Theogony'? Who is this person?
8. Describe the battle of the Titans.
9. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
10. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)