|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives birth to Doom, Fate, Death and Sleep?
(d) The Muses.
2. In 'Theogony', what does Medusa suffer from?
(a) A heart attack.
(c) Being mortal.
(d) Being ugly.
3. In 'Theogony', what does Earth give Cronus to trick him into thinking she gave him a child?
(a) A baby wrapped in blankets.
(b) A stone wrapped in blankets.
(c) A slaughtered pig.
(d) A slaughtered cow.
4. How is Medusa killed in 'Theogony'?
(a) She is shot.
(b) Her head is cut off.
(c) Her toes are cut off.
(d) She is drowned.
5. Hesiod discusses the lineage of several Gods in 'Theogony'. Who is Zeus' father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the speaker of 'Theogony' supposed to celebrate?
2. Who guards the Titans after they are defeated in 'Theogony'?
3. What does Zeus distribute to the immortals in 'Theogony'?
4. Who is Hecate the nurse of?
5. Whose conception does the speaker write about at the start of 'Theogony'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
2. Who gives birth to the Titans in 'Theogony' and why are they given that name?
3. According to 'Works and Days', at what age should an ox be when bought and why?
4. Name three of the offspring of Night.
5. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod accuse his brother of doing?
6. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
7. Who does Hesiod write in 'Theogony' is responsible for putting singers on earth?
8. Why, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother he needs a large ship if he becomes a seafarer?
9. In Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Aphrodite come into being?
10. Which are Zeus' favorite son and daughter? What are their strengths?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)