|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the speaker praise in the beginning of 'Theogony' ?
(a) His father.
2. Who do Thaumas and Electra give birth to?
(a) Earth-Shaker and Zeus.
(b) Crato and Bia.
(c) Epithetheus and Prometheus.
(d) Iris, Harpies, Aello and Ocypetes.
3. How does Zeus punish men who marry according to 'Theogony'?
(a) They will cry forever.
(b) They will live in a mixture of good and evil.
(c) They will live forever.
(d) The will die a cruel death.
4. What did the Muses give the speaker in 'Theogony'?
(a) A fluent pen.
(b) A swift paint brush.
(c) A divine voice.
(d) A world as a stage.
5. Who kills Medusa in 'Theogony'?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to 'Theogony', who springs forth from Medusa's wounds?
2. What creature does Hera raise to plague the Nemeans?
3. In 'Theogony', how long do Zeus and Mnemosyne lay together prior to conceiving the Muses?
4. Who is Zeus' first child?
5. In 'Theogony', why do the Gods choose Zeus to rule them?
Short Essay Questions
1. List three of the offspring that Earth and Heaven conceive?
2. Why are singers delivered to earth in 'Theogony'? What do the singers sing about?
3. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
4. What revenge does Earth take upon Heaven in 'Theogony'? What happens as a result of this revenge?
5. Describe the battle of the Titans.
6. Which children does Heaven hate in 'Theogony'? Where does she hide those children?
7. Who assists Earth in 'Theogony', in seeking out revenge against Heaven?
8. Which are Zeus' favorite son and daughter? What are their strengths?
9. Why does Zeus punish Prometheus in 'Theogony' and what is the punishment?
10. Describe Medusa and her death according to 'Theogony'.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)