|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of Heaven's sons greatly injures her in 'Theogony.' What does the blood of Heaven form after the betrayal?
(b) Erinyes and Nymphs
(c) Night and Day.
(d) Erinyes, Giants and Nymphs.
2. Who slays Geryones?
3. Which son, according to 'Theogony', decides to betray Heaven and help Earth recover his sons?
4. How does Zeus punish men who marry according to 'Theogony'?
(a) They will cry forever.
(b) They will live in a mixture of good and evil.
(c) The will die a cruel death.
(d) They will live forever.
5. What creatures are above Typhoeus' neck?
(a) Snakes and dragons.
(b) Lions and tigers.
(c) Fish and sharks.
(d) Dogs and cats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the hound of Hades?
2. In 'Theogony', why do the Gods choose Zeus to rule them?
3. What does Zeus send to Menoetius in 'Theogony', as a punishment for his pride?
4. The Muses tell a story to Hesiod in 'Theogony'. Who do the Muses say came into the world first?
5. What does Zeus receive as a reward in 'Theogony' for murdering Cronus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name three of the offspring of Night.
2. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
3. Describe what happens in the summertime in the poem 'Works and Days'.
4. In 'Works and Days', why does Hesiod say sailing is best 50 days after the solstice?
5. Which God is responsible for holding up the heavens?
6. In 'Works and Days', what should happen when Orion appears?
7. Why does Zeus punish Prometheus in 'Theogony' and what is the punishment?
8. Describe the creation of Pandora in 'Works and Days'. Why does Zeus create her?
9. Name three of the offspring of Thaumas and Electra.
10. Hesiod writes about the different generations in 'Works and Days'. Describe the third generation.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)