|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Prometheus steal for in 'Theogony'?
2. What does the speaker learn from the Muses in 'Theogony'?
3. In 'Theogony', what does Earth give Cronus to trick him into thinking she gave him a child?
(a) A slaughtered cow.
(b) A slaughtered pig.
(c) A baby wrapped in blankets.
(d) A stone wrapped in blankets.
4. Which son, according to 'Theogony', decides to betray Heaven and help Earth recover his sons?
5. What do Chimaera's heads look like?
(a) Different Gods.
(b) Different humans.
(c) Different beasts.
(d) Different fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Zeus' first child?
2. In 'Theogony', why do the Gods choose Zeus to rule them?
3. According to Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Cronus try to prevent Heaven and Earth's prophecy?
4. Who does Hesiod claim in 'Theogony' lives in the house of Zeus?
5. Hesiod tells the audience about a prophecy in 'Theogony.' What does Zeus do to his father that Earth and Heaven predicted?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Aphrodite come into being?
2. Which children does Heaven hate in 'Theogony'? Where does she hide those children?
3. In 'Theogony', who delivers princes to the mortals?
4. What revenge does Earth take upon Heaven in 'Theogony'? What happens as a result of this revenge?
5. In 'Theogony', how is it that Ocean's daughter Styx comes to live in the house of Zeus?
6. Why does Zeus punish Prometheus in 'Theogony' and what is the punishment?
7. Which are Zeus' favorite son and daughter? What are their strengths?
8. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
9. Who, according to 'Theogony', is the first entity to come into the world?
10. Whose conception does Hesiod describe at the start of 'Theogony'? What are the details of this conception?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)