|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives birth to the Cyclopes?
2. What prophecy do Heaven and Earth tell Cronus about in 'Theogony'?
(a) That he will be overthrown by his daughter.
(b) That he will rule the gods.
(c) That he will live forever.
(d) That he will be overthrown by his son.
3. In 'Theogony', why do the Gods choose Zeus to rule them?
(a) He controls thunder.
(b) He controls lightning.
(c) He beat the Titans.
(d) He beats Typhoeus.
4. Who follows Aphrodite after her birth in 'Theogony'?
(b) Eros and Desire.
(c) Zeus and Hera.
(d) Eros and Jealousy.
5. Which Goddess, according to 'Theogony', has privileges amongst the heavens, earth and sea?
(c) The titans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why, in 'Theogony', is the woman whose guile is not to be withstood by men created?
2. Who gives birth to Themisto, Pronoe and Nemertes?
3. Who kills Chimaera?
4. Who gives birth to Ceto, Eurybia and Nereus?
5. How does Heaven's son betray her in 'Theogony'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who gives birth to Cronos? Describe Cronos' personality.
2. What revenge does Earth take upon Heaven in 'Theogony'? What happens as a result of this revenge?
3. Who does Hesiod tell the Muses to sing about at the end of 'Theogony'?
4. What does Hesiod ask the Muses to tell him about in 'Theogony'?
5. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
6. In Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Aphrodite come into being?
7. What does Zeus create to punish the mortals in 'Theogony' since they accepted Prometheus' gift?
8. Who does Hesiod write in 'Theogony' is responsible for putting singers on earth?
9. Whose conception does Hesiod describe at the start of 'Theogony'? What are the details of this conception?
10. Describe the battle of the Titans.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)