|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Muses tell a story to Hesiod in 'Theogony'. Who do the Muses say came into the world first?
2. How many muses are there?
3. What are the names of the Cyclopes?
(a) Brontes, Steroppes and Arges.
(b) Phoebe, Tethys and Arges.
(c) Phoebe, Tethys and Cronos.
(d) Brontes, Steroppes and Hera.
4. In 'Theogony', who kills Hydra?
5. According to 'Theogony', who springs forth from Medusa's wounds?
(b) Hercules and Plato.
(c) Chrysaor and Pegasus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creatures are above Typhoeus' neck?
2. One of Heaven's sons greatly injures her in 'Theogony.' What does the blood of Heaven form after the betrayal?
3. At the end of Theogony, who does the speaker ask the Muses to sing about?
4. How does Heaven's son betray her in 'Theogony'?
5. According to Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Cronus try to prevent Heaven and Earth's prophecy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days' he writes a fable. What is Hesiod's fable for princes?
2. Describe the fourth generation as written about in 'Works and Days'.
3. In 'Theogony', which God is known as the Old Man? What do we know about his personality?
4. Who does Hesiod write in 'Theogony' is responsible for putting singers on earth?
5. What does Hesiod tell his brother in 'Works and Days', the Gods detest?
6. What is Hesiod's final advice in 'Works and Days' ?
7. Name three of the offspring of Night.
8. Hesiod writes about the different generations in 'Works and Days'. Describe the third generation.
9. What happens when Orion and Sirius enter mid-heaven according to Hesiod's 'Works and Days'?
10. Who should farmers pray to in order to increase their grain supply?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)