|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should wear in the winter?
(a) A wool hat.
(b) Long johns.
(c) A pair of sandals.
(d) A thick coat.
2. What, according to 'Works and Days', are the men in the silver generation like?
3. In 'Works and Days', what is the name of the maiden Zeus prepares for the mortals?
4. What does Hesiod say is the best type of man in his poem 'Works and Days'?
(a) One who is poor.
(b) One who considers himself.
(c) One who is charitable.
(d) One who is wealthy.
5. What, in 'Works and Days', is the fifth generation made of?
6. Why, in 'Works and Days', is it important to choose oxen that are a certain age?
(a) They are just born.
(b) They are easily trained.
(c) They will not fight.
(d) The will die soon.
7. What is the moral of the fable in 'Works and Days'?
(a) Don't try and withstand the stronger being.
(b) Fight till the finish.
(c) Sinners will be punished.
(d) The meek shall inherit the earth.
8. What happens to the silver generation when Zeus puts them away?
(a) They become the blessed spirits of the underworld.
(b) They become guardians of Gods.
(c) They go to Hades.
(d) They become guardians of mortals.
9. How many kinds of strife exist according to 'Works and Days'?
10. What is the fourth generation like in 'Works and Days'?
11. What does the author not want the subject of 'Works and Days' to fall prey to?
12. What does Pandora release amongst the mortals when she lifts the lid off her jar?
13. In 'Works and Days', what makes both Gods and men angry?
14. What does Zeus provide man with in 'Works and Days'?
15. What does Hesiod advise his brother to do in 'Works and Days'?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the fable in 'Works and Days', who does the bird attack?
2. In 'Works and Days', how do members of the fourth generation die?
3. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', Hesiod suggests that farmers use ox. How old should oxen be when attached to the plow?
4. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod say the God's will destroy?
5. What, according to 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say provides food and is not a disgrace?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)