|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Justice?
(a) Athena's daughter.
(b) A mortal.
(c) A Muse.
(d) Zeus's daughter.
2. Who finds the object in 'Works and Days' that Zeus hides from mortals?
(a) Prometheus .
3. In 'Works and Days', what should the slaves do when Orion appears?
(a) Cut the corn.
(c) Winnow the grain.
(d) Churn the butter.
4. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust?
5. Why should a man be hired at a certain age according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) He will be married.
(b) He will be young.
(c) He will be old.
(d) He will not be distracted.
6. Hesiod writes about a fable in 'Works and Days'. What bird is Hesiod's fable about?
(a) A mockingbird.
(b) A canary.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A sparrow.
7. What does a good servant do during plow time according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) Cut crops.
(b) Hide seeds.
(c) Water plants.
(d) Feed the farmer.
8. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod say his brother should build in the summer?
9. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
(a) Foolish and silly.
(b) Strong and violent.
(c) Wise and gentle.
(d) Weak and sad.
10. What does not exist before Pandora walks amongst the mortals?
11. Why, in 'Works and Days', is it important to choose oxen that are a certain age?
(a) The will die soon.
(b) They are easily trained.
(c) They are just born.
(d) They will not fight.
12. How do the third generation, in 'Works and Days', become spirits?
(a) They destroy each other.
(b) A comet hits the earth.
(c) The Gods destroy them.
(d) The Muses destroy them.
13. In the fable in 'Works and Days', who does the bird attack?
(a) A nightingale.
(b) A lion.
(c) A bear.
(d) A tiger.
14. Who, in 'Works and Days', teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about deceit?
15. When will the late plower compete with the early plower according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) When Apollo sends rain.
(b) When the rooster crows.
(c) When Zeus sends rain.
(d) When the seal barks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen to those that judge straight according to 'Works and Days'?
2. What does Pandora release amongst the mortals when she lifts the lid off her jar?
3. What happens to the spirits of the men Cronos creates?
4. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', what does Zeus make man better than?
5. In 'Works and Days', what is the name of the maiden Zeus prepares for the mortals?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)