|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to 'Works and Days', what does Zeus hide from men?
2. In 'Works and Days', how do members of the fourth generation die?
(a) During an earthquake.
(b) At war.
(c) At sea.
(d) At the hands of Zeus.
3. Who is Justice?
(a) A mortal.
(b) Athena's daughter.
(c) A Muse.
(d) Zeus's daughter.
4. What does the fifth generation never rest from in 'Works and Days'?
5. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod say his brother should build in the summer?
6. What does Hesiod tell his brother to do, in 'Works and Days', if he wants wealth?
7. In 'Works and Days', what holiday follows winter?
(d) The Fourth of July.
8. At what age does Hesiod suggest a man choose a wife?
9. What temperature, does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days', his brother should avoid?
10. What does Pandora release amongst the mortals when she lifts the lid off her jar?
11. In 'Works and Days', what should the slaves do when Orion appears?
(a) Cut the corn.
(b) Winnow the grain.
(d) Churn the butter.
12. Who, in 'Works and Days', teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about deceit?
13. What does a good servant do during plow time according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) Feed the farmer.
(b) Hide seeds.
(c) Water plants.
(d) Cut crops.
14. What do idle men envy in 'Works and Days'?
(b) Holy men.
15. What does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should wear in the winter?
(a) A wool hat.
(b) A thick coat.
(c) Long johns.
(d) A pair of sandals.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', Hesiod suggests that farmers use ox. How old should oxen be when attached to the plow?
2. How close is the land of goodness?
3. What does Zeus provide man with in 'Works and Days'?
4. Who do the men in the silver generation refuse to serve?
5. What, according to 'Works and Days', are the men in the silver generation like?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)