|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the fifth generation never rest from in 'Works and Days'?
2. What, in 'Works and Days', can man tell the difference between?
(a) Hades and heaven.
(b) Right and wrong.
(c) Gods and mortals.
(d) Left and right.
3. How do the third generation, in 'Works and Days', become spirits?
(a) A comet hits the earth.
(b) The Muses destroy them.
(c) The Gods destroy them.
(d) They destroy each other.
4. In 'Works and Days', who does Hermes deliver the maiden Zeus constructs to?
5. Who, in 'Works and Days', should plow men pray to in order to obtain good crops?
(a) Apollo and Athena.
(b) Athena and Hercules.
(c) Adonis and Zeus.
(d) Zeus and Demeter.
6. What, in 'Works and Days', is the fifth generation made of?
7. What do idle men envy in 'Works and Days'?
(d) Holy men.
8. How close is the land of goodness?
(a) 20 miles.
(b) A lifetime away.
(d) Far away.
9. What, according to 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say provides food and is not a disgrace?
10. How many people, in 'Works and Days', can Zeus provide wealth to?
(a) Very few.
(d) A great number.
11. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid in the winter?
(a) The barn.
(b) The smithy.
(c) The church.
(d) The stable.
12. What should be avoided during harvest time according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) Sleeping until dawn.
(b) Staying up late.
(d) Hard work.
13. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his head away from?
(a) Other's property.
(d) His neighbor's wife.
14. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod say his brother should build in the summer?
15. In 'Works and Days', when does Hesiod tell his brother he should chop wood?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who should give people wealth according to Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days'?
2. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', what does Zeus make man better than?
3. Who, in 'Works and Days', teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about deceit?
4. Who do the men in the silver generation refuse to serve?
5. What does not exist before Pandora walks amongst the mortals?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)