|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What temperature, does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days', his brother should avoid?
2. Who reports to Zeus on the behavior of men?
3. Who is Justice?
(a) Zeus's daughter.
(b) Athena's daughter.
(c) A mortal.
(d) A Muse.
4. What does Hesiod advise his brother to do in 'Works and Days'?
5. What does the fifth generation never rest from in 'Works and Days'?
6. In 'Works and Days', where do the third generation's spirits travel?
(c) The heavens.
(d) Mount Olympus.
7. What will happen to those that judge straight according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) The will perish.
(b) They will sin.
(c) The will go to Hades.
(d) They will prosper.
8. How close is the land of Badness?
(b) Far away.
(c) 500 miles.
(d) A lifetime away.
9. How many kinds of strife exist according to 'Works and Days'?
10. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod accuse his brother of?
(d) Stealing his inheritance.
11. According to 'Works and Days', what does Zeus hide from men?
12. In 'Works and Days', what should the slaves do when Orion appears?
(a) Churn the butter.
(b) Cut the corn.
(c) Winnow the grain.
13. Why, in 'Works and Days', is it important to choose oxen that are a certain age?
(a) They will not fight.
(b) They are easily trained.
(c) They are just born.
(d) The will die soon.
14. What does Pandora release amongst the mortals when she lifts the lid off her jar?
15. What reputation should men avoid according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) A stingy reputation.
(b) A pious reputation.
(c) A bad reputation.
(d) A good reputation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should wear in the winter?
2. In 'Works and Days', what should one wash before crossing a river?
3. In 'Works and Days', what does plowing too late in the season result in?
4. What will appear to man when spring begins according to Hesiod's poem, 'Works and Days'?
5. According to Hesiod in 'Works and Days', what is the fourth generation made up of?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)