|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, in 'Works and Days', teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about deceit?
2. How close is the land of goodness?
(b) A lifetime away.
(c) Far away.
(d) 20 miles.
3. According to 'Works and Days', what does Zeus hide from men?
4. What is the fourth generation like in 'Works and Days'?
5. In the fable in 'Works and Days', who does the bird attack?
(a) A nightingale.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A bear.
(d) A lion.
6. What does the author not want the subject of 'Works and Days' to fall prey to?
7. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod say his brother should build in the summer?
8. When will the late plower compete with the early plower according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) When the seal barks.
(b) When Apollo sends rain.
(c) When the rooster crows.
(d) When Zeus sends rain.
9. In 'Works and Days', what should the slaves do when Orion appears?
(a) Winnow the grain.
(b) Churn the butter.
(d) Cut the corn.
10. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his head away from?
(c) Other's property.
(d) His neighbor's wife.
11. In 'Works and Days', who does Hermes deliver the maiden Zeus constructs to?
12. Who should give people wealth according to Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days'?
(a) The Gods.
(c) Buisness owners.
(d) No one.
13. According to 'Works and Days', where does Zeus place the survivors of the fourth generation?
(a) An abode at the ends of the earth.
(b) In a cave.
(c) In Mount Olympus.
(d) In a house in the ocean.
14. In 'Works and Days', how do members of the fourth generation die?
(a) At the hands of Zeus.
(b) At sea.
(c) At war.
(d) During an earthquake.
15. What will appear to man when spring begins according to Hesiod's poem, 'Works and Days'?
(a) A swallow.
(b) A horse.
(c) A peacock.
(d) A woodchuck.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does 'Works and Days' say a hired man should be?
2. Who does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should sacrifice to?
3. What do the race of men created by Cronos enjoy in 'Works and Days'
4. In 'Works and Days', what does plowing too late in the season result in?
5. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', Hesiod suggests that farmers use ox. How old should oxen be when attached to the plow?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)