|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the spirits of the men Cronos creates?
(a) They become guardians of the Gods.
(b) They go to Hades.
(c) They become guardians of the Muses.
(d) They become the guardians of mortal men.
2. According to 'Works and Days', when should a father die if a second son is born?
(a) At old age.
(b) A father should never have a second son.
(c) At a young age.
3. What do the race of men created by Cronos enjoy in 'Works and Days'
(b) All good things.
(d) All bad things.
4. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod say his brother should build in the summer?
5. Hesiod writes about a fable in 'Works and Days'. What bird is Hesiod's fable about?
(a) A mockingbird.
(b) A sparrow.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A canary.
6. What does not exist before Pandora walks amongst the mortals?
7. According to Hesiod in 'Works and Days', what is the fourth generation made up of?
8. What does Hesiod advise his brother to do in 'Works and Days'?
9. What does the fifth generation never rest from in 'Works and Days'?
10. According to 'Works and Days', who will punish those who are cruel?
11. What, according to 'Works and Days', are the men in the silver generation like?
12. In 'Works and Days', what does plowing too late in the season result in?
(a) A draught.
(b) No money.
(c) A bankrupt farm.
(d) A small yield.
13. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', Hesiod suggests that farmers use ox. How old should oxen be when attached to the plow?
14. What does a little plus a little equal according to Hesiod in 'Works and Days'?
(a) Less than before.
(b) A little.
(d) Much more.
15. How many sources does the speaker in 'Works and Days' say men and mortals spring from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What should be avoided during harvest time according to 'Works and Days'?
2. According to 'Works and Days', what does Zeus hide from men?
3. Who should give people wealth according to Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days'?
4. In 'Works and Days', who teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about grace and beauty?
5. Who does 'Works and Days' address?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)