|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the fifth generation never rest from in 'Works and Days'?
2. Who does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should sacrifice to?
(a) His village.
(b) The Muses.
(c) The Gods.
3. Who do the men in the silver generation refuse to serve?
4. What does not exist before Pandora walks amongst the mortals?
5. How old does 'Works and Days' say a hired man should be?
6. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod create a fable for?
(b) The reader.
(c) The Gods.
7. What does a little plus a little equal according to Hesiod in 'Works and Days'?
(a) Much more.
(c) Less than before.
(d) A little.
8. In 'Works and Days', what makes both Gods and men angry?
9. What does Hesiod suggest to his brother in 'Works and Days' to do if it is windy outside?
(b) Finish his work quickly.
(c) Not complain.
(d) Breathe deeply.
10. What trade does Hesiod offer to teach his brother in 'Works and Days'?
11. Why, in 'Works and Days', is it important to choose oxen that are a certain age?
(a) They are easily trained.
(b) The will die soon.
(c) They will not fight.
(d) They are just born.
12. According to 'Works and Days', when should a father die if a second son is born?
(b) At old age.
(c) A father should never have a second son.
(d) At a young age.
13. According to 'Works and Days', who will punish those who are cruel?
14. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust?
15. In what season does 'Work and Days' suggest a wagon be built?
(a) The high season
(b) The dry season.
(c) The low season.
(d) The rainy season.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the silver generation when Zeus puts them away?
2. What should be avoided during harvest time according to 'Works and Days'?
3. According to 'Works and Days', what does Zeus hide from men?
4. When will the late plower compete with the early plower according to 'Works and Days'?
5. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod say his brother should build in the summer?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)