|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pandora release amongst the mortals when she lifts the lid off her jar?
2. How close is the land of goodness?
(a) 20 miles.
(b) A lifetime away.
(d) Far away.
3. Who does Hesiod say constructs Zeus' maiden for the mortals in 'Works and Days'?
4. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod accuse his brother of?
(a) Stealing his inheritance.
5. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his head away from?
(c) Other's property.
(d) His neighbor's wife.
6. Who reports to Zeus on the behavior of men?
7. In 'Works and Days', what holiday follows winter?
(d) The Fourth of July.
8. What, in 'Works and Days', is the fifth generation made of?
9. Who is Justice?
(a) Athena's daughter.
(b) Zeus's daughter.
(c) A Muse.
(d) A mortal.
10. What does a good servant do during plow time according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) Hide seeds.
(b) Cut crops.
(c) Feed the farmer.
(d) Water plants.
11. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) He will never sleep.
(c) In the morning.
(d) At night.
12. What does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should wear in the winter?
(a) A thick coat.
(b) Long johns.
(c) A pair of sandals.
(d) A wool hat.
13. What do idle men envy in 'Works and Days'?
(b) Holy men.
14. What does Hesiod suggest to his brother in 'Works and Days' to do if it is windy outside?
(a) Finish his work quickly.
(c) Breathe deeply.
(d) Not complain.
15. Who do the men in the silver generation refuse to serve?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the moral of the fable in 'Works and Days'?
2. What does Hesiod tell his brother to do, in 'Works and Days', if he wants wealth?
3. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
4. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust?
5. What does Hesiod advise his brother to do in 'Works and Days'?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)