|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to 'Works and Days', who will punish those who are cruel?
2. Who do the men in the silver generation refuse to serve?
3. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
(a) In the morning.
(b) He will never sleep.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) At night.
4. What does the author not want the subject of 'Works and Days' to fall prey to?
5. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod say his brother should build in the summer?
6. In 'Works and Days', when does Hesiod tell his brother he should chop wood?
7. What does Zeus provide man with in 'Works and Days'?
8. In 'Works and Days', what is the name of the maiden Zeus prepares for the mortals?
9. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
(a) Strong and violent.
(b) Foolish and silly.
(c) Weak and sad.
(d) Wise and gentle.
10. Who does Hesiod say constructs Zeus' maiden for the mortals in 'Works and Days'?
11. What animal marks the time for plowing?
(a) The crane.
(b) The sheep.
(c) The rooster.
(d) The pig.
12. Who finds the object in 'Works and Days' that Zeus hides from mortals?
(b) Prometheus .
13. What will happen to those that judge straight according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) The will go to Hades.
(b) The will perish.
(c) They will prosper.
(d) They will sin.
14. What do idle men envy in 'Works and Days'?
(a) Holy men.
15. How many people, in 'Works and Days', can Zeus provide wealth to?
(b) Very few.
(c) A great number.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', who teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about grace and beauty?
2. In 'Works and Days', what should the slaves do when Orion appears?
3. According to Hesiod in 'Works and Days', what is the fourth generation made up of?
4. How many sources does the speaker in 'Works and Days' say men and mortals spring from?
5. In what season does 'Work and Days' suggest a wagon be built?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)