|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal marks the time for plowing?
(a) The sheep.
(b) The pig.
(c) The crane.
(d) The rooster.
2. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid in the winter?
(a) The barn.
(b) The church.
(c) The stable.
(d) The smithy.
3. Who should give people wealth according to Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days'?
(a) No one.
(c) The Gods.
(d) Buisness owners.
4. How close is the land of Badness?
(a) 500 miles.
(b) Far away.
(c) A lifetime away.
5. What, in 'Works and Days', can man tell the difference between?
(a) Right and wrong.
(b) Left and right.
(c) Gods and mortals.
(d) Hades and heaven.
6. How old does 'Works and Days' say a hired man should be?
7. Who does Justice tell Zeus about?
(a) Muses who are lazy.
(b) Gods who commit treason.
(c) Children who sin.
(d) Men with wicked hearts.
8. What does Pandora release amongst the mortals when she lifts the lid off her jar?
9. Who finds the object in 'Works and Days' that Zeus hides from mortals?
(a) Prometheus .
10. In 'Works and Days', when does Hesiod tell his brother he should chop wood?
11. What does Hesiod tell his brother to do, in 'Works and Days', if he wants wealth?
12. In what season does 'Work and Days' suggest a wagon be built?
(a) The high season
(b) The low season.
(c) The dry season.
(d) The rainy season.
13. In 'Works and Days', what should one wash before crossing a river?
(a) Their hands.
(b) Their face.
(c) Their arms.
(d) Their feet.
14. According to 'Works and Days', when should a father die if a second son is born?
(a) A father should never have a second son.
(b) At a young age.
(c) At old age.
15. What temperature, does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days', his brother should avoid?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', who does Hermes deliver the maiden Zeus constructs to?
2. Who is Hesoid's brother?
3. What does not exist before Pandora walks amongst the mortals?
4. Who, in 'Works and Days', should plow men pray to in order to obtain good crops?
5. What does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should wear in the winter?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)