|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hesoid's brother?
2. According to 'Works and Days', if a man listens to wise council, what does it make him?
(a) A young man.
(b) A foolish man.
(c) A wise man.
(d) A king.
3. Who, in 'Works and Days', should plow men pray to in order to obtain good crops?
(a) Zeus and Demeter.
(b) Athena and Hercules.
(c) Apollo and Athena.
(d) Adonis and Zeus.
4. What temperature, does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days', his brother should avoid?
5. At what age does Hesiod suggest a man choose a wife?
6. According to 'Works and Days', what does Zeus hide from men?
7. How many sources does the speaker in 'Works and Days' say men and mortals spring from?
8. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
9. What does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should wear in the winter?
(a) A pair of sandals.
(b) A wool hat.
(c) Long johns.
(d) A thick coat.
10. According to 'Works and Days', where does Zeus place the survivors of the fourth generation?
(a) An abode at the ends of the earth.
(b) In a cave.
(c) In a house in the ocean.
(d) In Mount Olympus.
11. In 'Works and Days', who teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about grace and beauty?
12. How many goods does Hesiod advise his brother to keep at home?
(a) Most of them.
(b) None of them.
(c) All of them.
(d) Half of them.
13. Who does 'Works and Days' address?
14. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
(a) At night.
(b) In the morning.
(c) He will never sleep.
(d) In the afternoon.
15. What does Hesiod say is the best type of man in his poem 'Works and Days'?
(a) One who is charitable.
(b) One who considers himself.
(c) One who is poor.
(d) One who is wealthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the race of men created by Cronos enjoy in 'Works and Days'
2. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod accuse his brother of?
3. What will appear to man when spring begins according to Hesiod's poem, 'Works and Days'?
4. Who should give people wealth according to Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days'?
5. What does the author not want the subject of 'Works and Days' to fall prey to?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)