|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to 'Works and Days', who will punish those who are cruel?
2. Why, in 'Works and Days', is it important to choose oxen that are a certain age?
(a) The will die soon.
(b) They will not fight.
(c) They are just born.
(d) They are easily trained.
3. What, according to 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say provides food and is not a disgrace?
4. How old does 'Works and Days' say a hired man should be?
5. What does the fifth generation never rest from in 'Works and Days'?
6. In 'Works and Days', what makes both Gods and men angry?
7. What race of men does Cronos create in 'Works and Days'?
(a) A metal race.
(b) A silver race.
(c) A golden race.
(d) A bronze race.
8. What will appear to man when spring begins according to Hesiod's poem, 'Works and Days'?
(a) A swallow.
(b) A woodchuck.
(c) A peacock.
(d) A horse.
9. What does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should wear in the winter?
(a) A wool hat.
(b) A pair of sandals.
(c) Long johns.
(d) A thick coat.
10. How close is the land of goodness?
(a) A lifetime away.
(b) 20 miles.
(c) Far away.
11. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod create a fable for?
(b) The reader.
(d) The Gods.
12. In 'Works and Days', what holiday follows winter?
(c) The Fourth of July.
13. What does Zeus provide man with in 'Works and Days'?
14. How many kinds of strife exist according to 'Works and Days'?
15. How do the third generation, in 'Works and Days', become spirits?
(a) They destroy each other.
(b) A comet hits the earth.
(c) The Gods destroy them.
(d) The Muses destroy them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Justice tell Zeus about?
2. At what age does Hesiod suggest a man choose a wife?
3. In what season does 'Work and Days' suggest a wagon be built?
4. In the fable in 'Works and Days', who does the bird attack?
5. According to 'Works and Days', where does Zeus place the survivors of the fourth generation?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)