|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
(a) Strong and violent.
(b) Weak and sad.
(c) Wise and gentle.
(d) Foolish and silly.
2. How many goods does Hesiod advise his brother to keep at home?
(a) Most of them.
(b) Half of them.
(c) None of them.
(d) All of them.
3. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', Hesiod suggests that farmers use ox. How old should oxen be when attached to the plow?
4. What, according to 'Works and Days', are the men in the silver generation like?
5. What should be avoided during harvest time according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) Staying up late.
(b) Hard work.
(d) Sleeping until dawn.
6. What size ship should his brother use if he chooses seafaring, writes Hesiod?
(a) A medium ship.
(b) A large ship.
(c) A small ship.
(d) 3 ships.
7. Who does Justice tell Zeus about?
(a) Muses who are lazy.
(b) Gods who commit treason.
(c) Men with wicked hearts.
(d) Children who sin.
8. According to 'Works and Days', what does Zeus hide from men?
9. Who, in 'Works and Days', teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about deceit?
10. What will happen to those that judge straight according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) They will prosper.
(b) The will go to Hades.
(c) They will sin.
(d) The will perish.
11. In 'Works and Days', who does Hermes deliver the maiden Zeus constructs to?
12. What do the race of men created by Cronos enjoy in 'Works and Days'
(b) All good things.
(c) All bad things.
13. What does Hesiod tell his brother to do, in 'Works and Days', if he wants wealth?
14. In 'Works and Days', when does Hesiod tell his brother he should chop wood?
15. In the fable in 'Works and Days', who does the bird attack?
(a) A nightingale.
(b) A bear.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A lion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many kinds of strife exist according to 'Works and Days'?
2. What animal marks the time for plowing?
3. What does the author not want the subject of 'Works and Days' to fall prey to?
4. What does Zeus provide man with in 'Works and Days'?
5. What, in 'Works and Days', can man tell the difference between?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)