|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hesiod suggest to his brother in 'Works and Days' to do if it is windy outside?
(a) Not complain.
(b) Finish his work quickly.
(c) Breathe deeply.
2. When will the late plower compete with the early plower according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) When Apollo sends rain.
(b) When the seal barks.
(c) When the rooster crows.
(d) When Zeus sends rain.
3. Why, in 'Works and Days', is it important to choose oxen that are a certain age?
(a) They are just born.
(b) They will not fight.
(c) They are easily trained.
(d) The will die soon.
4. According to 'Works and Days', what does Zeus hide from men?
5. What is Hesiod's parting advice in 'Works and Days'?
(a) Practice what you preach.
(b) Look for the Muses.
(c) Avoid offending the gods.
(d) Follow the golden rule.
6. What, according to 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say provides food and is not a disgrace?
7. What size ship should his brother use if he chooses seafaring, writes Hesiod?
(a) A large ship.
(b) A medium ship.
(c) 3 ships.
(d) A small ship.
8. Who, in 'Works and Days', teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about deceit?
9. According to 'Works and Days', where does Zeus place the survivors of the fourth generation?
(a) In Mount Olympus.
(b) In a house in the ocean.
(c) An abode at the ends of the earth.
(d) In a cave.
10. What does the author not want the subject of 'Works and Days' to fall prey to?
11. What temperature, does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days', his brother should avoid?
12. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
13. How many goods does Hesiod advise his brother to keep at home?
(a) All of them.
(b) Most of them.
(c) None of them.
(d) Half of them.
14. According to 'Works and Days', when should a father die if a second son is born?
(a) At a young age.
(c) A father should never have a second son.
(d) At old age.
15. In 'Works and Days', where do the third generation's spirits travel?
(b) The heavens.
(d) Mount Olympus.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod create a fable for?
2. What happens to the silver generation when Zeus puts them away?
3. Who is Hesoid's brother?
4. In 'Works and Days', who teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about grace and beauty?
5. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)