|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, in 'Works and Days', is it important to choose oxen that are a certain age?
(a) The will die soon.
(b) They will not fight.
(c) They are easily trained.
(d) They are just born.
2. What happens to the silver generation when Zeus puts them away?
(a) They become the blessed spirits of the underworld.
(b) They become guardians of mortals.
(c) They become guardians of Gods.
(d) They go to Hades.
3. According to 'Works and Days', when should a father die if a second son is born?
(a) At a young age.
(b) At old age.
(d) A father should never have a second son.
4. What does Hesiod tell his brother to do, in 'Works and Days', if he wants wealth?
5. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) At night.
(c) He will never sleep.
(d) In the morning.
6. What do idle men envy in 'Works and Days'?
(c) Holy men.
7. Who should give people wealth according to Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days'?
(a) Buisness owners.
(b) The Gods.
(d) No one.
8. Who, in 'Works and Days', teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about deceit?
9. Who does 'Works and Days' address?
10. In 'Works and Days', what should one wash before crossing a river?
(a) Their feet.
(b) Their arms.
(c) Their hands.
(d) Their face.
11. What will happen to those that judge straight according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) The will perish.
(b) The will go to Hades.
(c) They will sin.
(d) They will prosper.
12. How many kinds of strife exist according to 'Works and Days'?
13. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust?
14. What does the fifth generation never rest from in 'Works and Days'?
15. What do the race of men created by Cronos enjoy in 'Works and Days'
(b) All good things.
(d) All bad things.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sources does the speaker in 'Works and Days' say men and mortals spring from?
2. What does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should wear in the winter?
3. What does a little plus a little equal according to Hesiod in 'Works and Days'?
4. How old does 'Works and Days' say a hired man should be?
5. Who is Hesoid's brother?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)