|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what holiday follows winter?
(d) The Fourth of July.
2. According to 'Works and Days', where does Zeus place the survivors of the fourth generation?
(a) An abode at the ends of the earth.
(b) In a house in the ocean.
(c) In Mount Olympus.
(d) In a cave.
3. Who does 'Works and Days' address?
4. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
5. Who should give people wealth according to Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days'?
(a) Buisness owners.
(c) No one.
(d) The Gods.
6. What trade does Hesiod offer to teach his brother in 'Works and Days'?
7. At what age does Hesiod suggest a man choose a wife?
8. What do idle men envy in 'Works and Days'?
(b) Holy men.
9. Who does Hesiod say teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about finery in 'Works and Days'?
10. How do the third generation, in 'Works and Days', become spirits?
(a) A comet hits the earth.
(b) The Gods destroy them.
(c) The Muses destroy them.
(d) They destroy each other.
11. According to 'Works and Days', what does Zeus hide from men?
12. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust?
13. In 'Works and Days', who does Hermes deliver the maiden Zeus constructs to?
14. Why should a man be hired at a certain age according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) He will be young.
(b) He will be old.
(c) He will be married.
(d) He will not be distracted.
15. How old does 'Works and Days' say a hired man should be?
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his head away from?
2. What does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should wear in the winter?
3. What does not exist before Pandora walks amongst the mortals?
4. Who, in 'Works and Days', should plow men pray to in order to obtain good crops?
5. What is Hesiod's parting advice in 'Works and Days'?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)