|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What temperature, does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days', his brother should avoid?
2. What does Hesiod suggest to his brother in 'Works and Days' to do if it is windy outside?
(a) Breathe deeply.
(b) Finish his work quickly.
(c) Not complain.
3. How many goods does Hesiod advise his brother to keep at home?
(a) Half of them.
(b) Most of them.
(c) All of them.
(d) None of them.
4. What, in 'Works and Days', can man tell the difference between?
(a) Right and wrong.
(b) Gods and mortals.
(c) Hades and heaven.
(d) Left and right.
5. In what season does 'Work and Days' suggest a wagon be built?
(a) The high season
(b) The rainy season.
(c) The low season.
(d) The dry season.
6. What does Hesiod advise his brother to do in 'Works and Days'?
7. What does Zeus provide man with in 'Works and Days'?
8. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
(a) He will never sleep.
(b) In the morning.
(c) At night.
(d) In the afternoon.
9. Why should a man be hired at a certain age according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) He will be old.
(b) He will be married.
(c) He will be young.
(d) He will not be distracted.
10. Who, in 'Works and Days', should plow men pray to in order to obtain good crops?
(a) Athena and Hercules.
(b) Adonis and Zeus.
(c) Apollo and Athena.
(d) Zeus and Demeter.
11. What size ship should his brother use if he chooses seafaring, writes Hesiod?
(a) A medium ship.
(b) A small ship.
(c) 3 ships.
(d) A large ship.
12. When will the late plower compete with the early plower according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) When the rooster crows.
(b) When the seal barks.
(c) When Apollo sends rain.
(d) When Zeus sends rain.
13. In 'Works and Days', what is the third generation like?
(a) Strong and violent.
(b) Wise and gentle.
(c) Foolish and silly.
(d) Weak and sad.
14. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid in the winter?
(a) The barn.
(b) The church.
(c) The smithy.
(d) The stable.
15. What, in 'Works and Days', is the fifth generation made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sources does the speaker in 'Works and Days' say men and mortals spring from?
2. What, according to 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say provides food and is not a disgrace?
3. Who does 'Works and Days' address?
4. According to 'Works and Days', where does Zeus place the survivors of the fourth generation?
5. In 'Works and Days', what holiday follows winter?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)