|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, in 'Works and Days', can man tell the difference between?
(a) Right and wrong.
(b) Gods and mortals.
(c) Hades and heaven.
(d) Left and right.
2. How many kinds of strife exist according to 'Works and Days'?
3. What happens to the spirits of the men Cronos creates?
(a) They become guardians of the Muses.
(b) They go to Hades.
(c) They become the guardians of mortal men.
(d) They become guardians of the Gods.
4. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid in the winter?
(a) The smithy.
(b) The church.
(c) The barn.
(d) The stable.
5. In 'Works and Days', what makes both Gods and men angry?
6. In 'Works and Days', what holiday follows winter?
(b) The Fourth of July.
7. What does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should wear in the winter?
(a) Long johns.
(b) A thick coat.
(c) A pair of sandals.
(d) A wool hat.
8. What will appear to man when spring begins according to Hesiod's poem, 'Works and Days'?
(a) A horse.
(b) A peacock.
(c) A swallow.
(d) A woodchuck.
9. What does Hesiod say is the best type of man in his poem 'Works and Days'?
(a) One who is charitable.
(b) One who is wealthy.
(c) One who considers himself.
(d) One who is poor.
10. Who should give people wealth according to Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days'?
(a) No one.
(b) The Gods.
(d) Buisness owners.
11. According to 'Works and Days', when should a father die if a second son is born?
(a) At a young age.
(c) At old age.
(d) A father should never have a second son.
12. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
13. Why should a man be hired at a certain age according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) He will be old.
(b) He will be married.
(c) He will be young.
(d) He will not be distracted.
14. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod say the God's will destroy?
(a) Those who take anothers wealth.
(b) Those who sin.
(c) Those who go to war.
(d) Those who murder.
15. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) At night.
(c) In the morning.
(d) He will never sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What temperature, does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days', his brother should avoid?
2. How many sources does the speaker in 'Works and Days' say men and mortals spring from?
3. What does Hesiod advise his brother to do in 'Works and Days'?
4. What animal marks the time for plowing?
5. What does Hesiod suggest to his brother in 'Works and Days' to do if it is windy outside?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)