|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hesiod suggest to his brother in 'Works and Days' to do if it is windy outside?
(a) Not complain.
(b) Finish his work quickly.
(d) Breathe deeply.
2. In 'Works and Days', who does Hermes deliver the maiden Zeus constructs to?
3. What does Pandora release amongst the mortals when she lifts the lid off her jar?
4. According to 'Works and Days', who will punish those who are cruel?
5. According to 'Works and Days', what does Zeus hide from men?
6. Who finds the object in 'Works and Days' that Zeus hides from mortals?
(c) Prometheus .
7. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his head away from?
(a) Other's property.
(d) His neighbor's wife.
8. What reputation should men avoid according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) A good reputation.
(b) A stingy reputation.
(c) A pious reputation.
(d) A bad reputation.
9. What do the race of men created by Cronos enjoy in 'Works and Days'
(c) All good things.
(d) All bad things.
10. Who does Hesiod say constructs Zeus' maiden for the mortals in 'Works and Days'?
11. Who does Hesiod say teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about finery in 'Works and Days'?
12. What will happen to those that judge straight according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) They will sin.
(b) The will go to Hades.
(c) The will perish.
(d) They will prosper.
13. What temperature, does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days', his brother should avoid?
14. What happens to the spirits of the men Cronos creates?
(a) They become guardians of the Gods.
(b) They go to Hades.
(c) They become the guardians of mortal men.
(d) They become guardians of the Muses.
15. Why should a man be hired at a certain age according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) He will be married.
(b) He will be old.
(c) He will not be distracted.
(d) He will be young.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
2. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', Hesiod suggests that farmers use ox. How old should oxen be when attached to the plow?
3. Who is Justice?
4. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
5. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)