|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
2. Hesiod discusses the plow season in 'Works and Days'. During the plowing season when will a worker rise?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) At night.
(c) He will never sleep.
(d) In the morning.
3. How close is the land of Badness?
(b) 500 miles.
(c) Far away.
(d) A lifetime away.
4. Who does 'Works and Days' address?
5. What should be avoided during harvest time according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) Hard work.
(b) Staying up late.
(d) Sleeping until dawn.
6. In what season does 'Work and Days' suggest a wagon be built?
(a) The high season
(b) The dry season.
(c) The rainy season.
(d) The low season.
7. In 'Works and Days', how do members of the fourth generation die?
(a) At sea.
(b) During an earthquake.
(c) At war.
(d) At the hands of Zeus.
8. Who should give people wealth according to Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days'?
(b) No one.
(c) The Gods.
(d) Buisness owners.
9. Why should a man be hired at a certain age according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) He will not be distracted.
(b) He will be old.
(c) He will be young.
(d) He will be married.
10. In the fable in 'Works and Days', who does the bird attack?
(a) A nightingale.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A bear.
(d) A lion.
11. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod tell his brother to turn his head away from?
(a) His neighbor's wife.
(d) Other's property.
12. Who does Hesiod say constructs Zeus' maiden for the mortals in 'Works and Days'?
13. Who, in 'Works and Days', should plow men pray to in order to obtain good crops?
(a) Apollo and Athena.
(b) Zeus and Demeter.
(c) Adonis and Zeus.
(d) Athena and Hercules.
14. How many days of winter are there according to 'Works and Days'?
15. What will happen to those that judge straight according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) The will go to Hades.
(b) They will sin.
(c) The will perish.
(d) They will prosper.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod say the God's will destroy?
2. What happens to the spirits of the men Cronos creates?
3. Hesiod writes about a fable in 'Works and Days'. What bird is Hesiod's fable about?
4. What does Pandora release amongst the mortals when she lifts the lid off her jar?
5. Who finds the object in 'Works and Days' that Zeus hides from mortals?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)