|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will happen to those that judge straight according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) The will perish.
(b) They will sin.
(c) They will prosper.
(d) The will go to Hades.
2. What does not exist before Pandora walks amongst the mortals?
3. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod create a fable for?
(a) The Gods.
(b) The reader.
4. Hesiod writes about a fable in 'Works and Days'. What bird is Hesiod's fable about?
(a) A mockingbird.
(b) A canary.
(c) A sparrow.
(d) An eagle.
5. How many kinds of strife exist according to 'Works and Days'?
6. What does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should wear in the winter?
(a) A pair of sandals.
(b) A wool hat.
(c) A thick coat.
(d) Long johns.
7. What happens to the spirits of the men Cronos creates?
(a) They become guardians of the Muses.
(b) They become guardians of the Gods.
(c) They become the guardians of mortal men.
(d) They go to Hades.
8. Who, in 'Works and Days', should plow men pray to in order to obtain good crops?
(a) Athena and Hercules.
(b) Zeus and Demeter.
(c) Adonis and Zeus.
(d) Apollo and Athena.
9. What, according to 'Works and Days', are the men in the silver generation like?
10. In 'Works and Days', where do the third generation's spirits travel?
(a) Mount Olympus.
(b) The heavens.
11. What happens to the silver generation when Zeus puts them away?
(a) They become guardians of Gods.
(b) They go to Hades.
(c) They become guardians of mortals.
(d) They become the blessed spirits of the underworld.
12. What, in 'Works and Days', can man tell the difference between?
(a) Hades and heaven.
(b) Gods and mortals.
(c) Left and right.
(d) Right and wrong.
13. How many people, in 'Works and Days', can Zeus provide wealth to?
(a) Very few.
(c) A great number.
14. In the fable in 'Works and Days', who does the bird attack?
(a) A lion.
(b) A bear.
(c) A nightingale.
(d) A tiger.
15. How close is the land of Badness?
(a) 500 miles.
(b) A lifetime away.
(c) Far away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeus provide man with in 'Works and Days'?
2. In 'Works and Days', what does plowing too late in the season result in?
3. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', what does Zeus make man better than?
4. According to 'Works and Days', if a man listens to wise council, what does it make him?
5. What do the race of men created by Cronos enjoy in 'Works and Days'
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)