|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reputation should men avoid according to 'Works and Days'?
(a) A pious reputation.
(b) A bad reputation.
(c) A stingy reputation.
(d) A good reputation.
2. What, in 'Works and Days', does Hesiod say his brother should avoid in the winter?
(a) The church.
(b) The stable.
(c) The smithy.
(d) The barn.
3. What, in 'Works and Days', is the fifth generation made of?
4. How do the third generation, in 'Works and Days', become spirits?
(a) A comet hits the earth.
(b) The Gods destroy them.
(c) They destroy each other.
(d) The Muses destroy them.
5. According to Hesiod in 'Works and Days', what is the fourth generation made up of?
6. What is the moral of the fable in 'Works and Days'?
(a) The meek shall inherit the earth.
(b) Fight till the finish.
(c) Sinners will be punished.
(d) Don't try and withstand the stronger being.
7. Hesiod writes about a fable in 'Works and Days'. What bird is Hesiod's fable about?
(a) A sparrow.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A mockingbird.
(d) A canary.
8. What temperature, does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days', his brother should avoid?
9. Who does Hesiod say teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about finery in 'Works and Days'?
10. What size ship should his brother use if he chooses seafaring, writes Hesiod?
(a) A small ship.
(b) A large ship.
(c) A medium ship.
(d) 3 ships.
11. Who reports to Zeus on the behavior of men?
12. In 'Works and Days', who does Hermes deliver the maiden Zeus constructs to?
13. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', what does Zeus make man better than?
(a) The heavens.
(d) The Mountains.
14. What does Hesiod suggest to his brother in 'Works and Days' to do if it is windy outside?
(b) Finish his work quickly.
(c) Not complain.
(d) Breathe deeply.
15. In 'Works and Days', what does the author ask the Muses of Pieria for?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds the object in 'Works and Days' that Zeus hides from mortals?
2. In 'Works and Days', what does Hesiod say his brother should build in the summer?
3. How many sources does the speaker in 'Works and Days' say men and mortals spring from?
4. In the fable in 'Works and Days', who does the bird attack?
5. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod tell his brother not to trust?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)