|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', what does Zeus make man better than?
(b) The Mountains.
(d) The heavens.
2. How do the third generation, in 'Works and Days', become spirits?
(a) The Gods destroy them.
(b) A comet hits the earth.
(c) The Muses destroy them.
(d) They destroy each other.
3. What happens to the spirits of the men Cronos creates?
(a) They become guardians of the Gods.
(b) They go to Hades.
(c) They become guardians of the Muses.
(d) They become the guardians of mortal men.
4. How close is the land of Badness?
(b) Far away.
(c) 500 miles.
(d) A lifetime away.
5. How many days of winter are there according to 'Works and Days'?
6. Who, in 'Works and Days', should plow men pray to in order to obtain good crops?
(a) Zeus and Demeter.
(b) Apollo and Athena.
(c) Athena and Hercules.
(d) Adonis and Zeus.
7. In 'Works and Days', who does Hesiod create a fable for?
(a) The Gods.
(d) The reader.
8. What, in 'Works and Days', can man tell the difference between?
(a) Gods and mortals.
(b) Hades and heaven.
(c) Left and right.
(d) Right and wrong.
9. What does a little plus a little equal according to Hesiod in 'Works and Days'?
(a) Much more.
(c) A little.
(d) Less than before.
10. In 'Works and Days', who teaches Zeus's maiden for the mortals about grace and beauty?
11. Hesiod writes about a fable in 'Works and Days'. What bird is Hesiod's fable about?
(a) A canary.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A sparrow.
(d) A mockingbird.
12. In 'Works and Days', what does plowing too late in the season result in?
(a) No money.
(b) A bankrupt farm.
(c) A small yield.
(d) A draught.
13. Who does Justice tell Zeus about?
(a) Gods who commit treason.
(b) Muses who are lazy.
(c) Men with wicked hearts.
(d) Children who sin.
14. In 'Works and Days', how do members of the fourth generation die?
(a) During an earthquake.
(b) At war.
(c) At the hands of Zeus.
(d) At sea.
15. What does Hesiod write in 'Works and Days' that his brother should wear in the winter?
(a) A wool hat.
(b) A pair of sandals.
(c) A thick coat.
(d) Long johns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in 'Works and Days', is the fifth generation made of?
2. What should be avoided during harvest time according to 'Works and Days'?
3. What, according to 'Works and Days', are the men in the silver generation like?
4. In Hesiod's poem 'Works and Days', Hesiod suggests that farmers use ox. How old should oxen be when attached to the plow?
5. In 'Works and Days', who does Hermes deliver the maiden Zeus constructs to?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)