|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 'Theogony', where does Zeus' mother hide him?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In a palace.
(c) In the ocean.
(d) In a cave.
2. In 'Theogony', what story does the speaker ask the Muses to tell him first?
(a) How the rain came.
(b) Who invented the wheel.
(c) How fire was invented.
(d) How the first gods and earth came to be.
3. Who kills Medusa in 'Theogony'?
4. How does Zeus punish men who marry according to 'Theogony'?
(a) They will live in a mixture of good and evil.
(b) They will live forever.
(c) They will cry forever.
(d) The will die a cruel death.
5. Why, in 'Theogony', is the woman whose guile is not to be withstood by men created?
(a) Because Zeus is bored.
(b) As the price for fire.
(c) Because man is bored.
(d) As the price for water.
6. What does the speaker learn from the Muses in 'Theogony'?
7. What are the names of the Cyclopes?
(a) Phoebe, Tethys and Cronos.
(b) Phoebe, Tethys and Arges.
(c) Brontes, Steroppes and Hera.
(d) Brontes, Steroppes and Arges.
8. Who gives birth to Zeus' first child?
9. Who is the hound of Hades?
(c) The Minotaur.
10. In 'Theogony', who does Zeus honor above all the other Gods?
11. What prophecy do Heaven and Earth tell Cronus about in 'Theogony'?
(a) That he will rule the gods.
(b) That he will be overthrown by his son.
(c) That he will be overthrown by his daughter.
(d) That he will live forever.
12. According to 'Theogony', what gift does Zeus give to humans?
13. How many heads does Geryones have?
14. Who do Thaumas and Electra give birth to?
(a) Earth-Shaker and Zeus.
(b) Crato and Bia.
(c) Epithetheus and Prometheus.
(d) Iris, Harpies, Aello and Ocypetes.
15. What does Hesiod claim in 'Theogony' that Prometheus steals from Zeus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift do Apollo and the muses give humans in 'Theogony'?
2. Apollo and the Muses give a gift to humans in 'Theogony'? Why did they give this gift?
3. What does Zeus receive as a reward in 'Theogony' for murdering Cronus?
4. The Muses tell a story to Hesiod in 'Theogony'. Who do the Muses say came into the world first?
5. How does Hesiod explain in 'Theogony' that Aphrodite is formed?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)