|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many muses are there?
2. Hesiod tells the audience about a prophecy in 'Theogony.' What does Zeus do to his father that Earth and Heaven predicted?
(a) Murders him.
(b) Hugs him.
(c) Overpowers him.
(d) Kisses him.
3. What are the names of the Cyclopes?
(a) Phoebe, Tethys and Cronos.
(b) Phoebe, Tethys and Arges.
(c) Brontes, Steroppes and Hera.
(d) Brontes, Steroppes and Arges.
4. Who does the speaker praise in the beginning of 'Theogony' ?
(b) His father.
5. One of Heaven's sons greatly injures her in 'Theogony.' What does the blood of Heaven form after the betrayal?
(a) Erinyes, Giants and Nymphs.
(b) Night and Day.
(d) Erinyes and Nymphs
6. Who is the first of Ocean's children to help Zeus fight the Titans in 'Theogony'?
7. Which son, according to 'Theogony', decides to betray Heaven and help Earth recover his sons?
8. In 'Theogony', what story does the speaker ask the Muses to tell him first?
(a) How the rain came.
(b) How fire was invented.
(c) How the first gods and earth came to be.
(d) Who invented the wheel.
9. Who kills Medusa in 'Theogony'?
10. What does Zeus distribute to the immortals in 'Theogony'?
11. What is the job of the Muses that 'Theogony' deems most important?
(a) Feed dew to heaven-chosen princes.
(b) Create poetry for the Greeks.
(c) Feed Zeus grapes.
(d) Sing to Zeus.
12. How does Zeus punish men who marry according to 'Theogony'?
(a) They will live forever.
(b) The will die a cruel death.
(c) They will live in a mixture of good and evil.
(d) They will cry forever.
13. According to 'Theogony', who springs forth from Medusa's wounds?
(b) Chrysaor and Pegasus.
(c) Hercules and Plato.
14. How many heads does Geryones have?
15. Who slays Geryones?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeus receive as a reward in 'Theogony' for murdering Cronus?
2. In 'Theogony', which sons does Heaven hate?
3. According to 'Theogony', what gift does Zeus give to humans?
4. What gift do Apollo and the muses give humans in 'Theogony'?
5. What did the Muses give the speaker in 'Theogony'?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)