|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many muses are there?
2. At the end of Theogony, who does the speaker ask the Muses to sing about?
3. Hesiod tells the audience about a prophecy in 'Theogony.' What does Zeus do to his father that Earth and Heaven predicted?
(a) Murders him.
(b) Overpowers him.
(c) Hugs him.
(d) Kisses him.
4. What is the job of the Muses that 'Theogony' deems most important?
(a) Create poetry for the Greeks.
(b) Feed Zeus grapes.
(c) Feed dew to heaven-chosen princes.
(d) Sing to Zeus.
5. How does Prometheus try to fool Zeus in the poem 'Theogony'?
(a) He wears sheep's clothing.
(b) He unevenly distributes food.
(c) He slips him some wine.
(d) He tries to overthrow him.
6. What does Zeus receive as a reward in 'Theogony' for murdering Cronus?
(a) Thunder and lightning.
(c) Rain and hail.
(d) Tornados and hurricanes.
7. What happens in 'Theogony' when Zeus murders Cronus?
(a) Cronus vomits up his children.
(b) Cronus lives forever.
(c) Cronus dies.
(d) Zeus does not murder Cronus.
8. Who does the speaker praise in the beginning of 'Theogony' ?
(b) His father.
9. Who kills Chimaera?
(b) Pegasus and Bellerophone.
10. Who follows Aphrodite after her birth in 'Theogony'?
(a) Eros and Jealousy.
(b) Zeus and Hera.
(c) Eros and Desire.
11. Where does Heaven hide the sons she hates in 'Theogony'?
(a) Somewhere on Earth.
(b) Somewhere in Heaven.
(c) The mountains.
12. Who is the first of Ocean's children to help Zeus fight the Titans in 'Theogony'?
13. In 'Theogony', what does Atlas hold?
(a) The oceans.
(c) An arrow.
(d) The globe.
14. Who rules over the sea?
(c) The mermaids.
15. Who is Zeus' first child?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Medusa in 'Theogony'?
2. How is Medusa killed in 'Theogony'?
3. Hesiod discusses the lineage of several Gods in 'Theogony'. Who is Zeus' father?
4. Who slays Geryones?
5. Who gives birth to Aether and Day?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)