|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Heaven hide the sons she hates in 'Theogony'?
(b) Somewhere on Earth.
(c) The mountains.
(d) Somewhere in Heaven.
2. Which Goddess, according to 'Theogony', has privileges amongst the heavens, earth and sea?
(d) The titans.
3. In 'Theogony', what does Medusa suffer from?
(b) A heart attack.
(c) Being mortal.
(d) Being ugly.
4. Who is Hercules' mother?
(a) A sea nymph.
(b) A muse.
(c) A mortal.
(d) A God.
5. How does Prometheus try to fool Zeus in the poem 'Theogony'?
(a) He wears sheep's clothing.
(b) He unevenly distributes food.
(c) He tries to overthrow him.
(d) He slips him some wine.
6. Which son, according to 'Theogony', decides to betray Heaven and help Earth recover his sons?
7. Apollo and the Muses give a gift to humans in 'Theogony'? Why did they give this gift?
(a) To make beauty.
(b) To end sorrow.
(c) To entertain them.
(d) To give them knowledge.
8. Who eats Prometheus' liver?
(a) A bear.
(c) A tiger.
(d) An eagle.
9. What are the names of the Cyclopes?
(a) Phoebe, Tethys and Cronos.
(b) Brontes, Steroppes and Hera.
(c) Brontes, Steroppes and Arges.
(d) Phoebe, Tethys and Arges.
10. How does Hesiod explain in 'Theogony' that Aphrodite is formed?
(a) From clay.
(b) From diamonds.
(c) From falling stars.
(d) From sea foam.
11. What animal do Ceto and Phorcys give birth to?
(a) A lion.
(b) A dog.
(c) A fish.
(d) A snake.
12. Where is Zeus born?
(a) Lyetus of Crete.
(b) In heaven.
(c) On top of a mountain.
(d) Rome, Italy.
13. Who gives birth to Aether and Day?
(a) Earth and Eros.
(b) Zeus and Hera.
(c) Chaos and Night.
(d) Erebus and Night.
14. In 'Theogony', how does Zeus say men who will do not marry will be punished?
(a) They will die a cruel death.
(b) They will be marked with a curse.
(c) They will have no one to take care of them.
(d) They will live forever.
15. What happens in 'Theogony' when Zeus murders Cronus?
(a) Cronus lives forever.
(b) Zeus does not murder Cronus.
(c) Cronus dies.
(d) Cronus vomits up his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Muses give the speaker in 'Theogony'?
2. The Muses tell a story to Hesiod in 'Theogony'. Who do the Muses say came into the world first?
3. Who does the speaker praise in the beginning of 'Theogony' ?
4. Why is Earth mad at Heaven in 'Theogony'?
5. Who gives birth to Doom, Fate, Death and Sleep?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)