|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zeus distribute to the immortals in 'Theogony'?
2. Who gives birth to Themisto, Pronoe and Nemertes?
(a) Nereus and Doris.
3. What prophecy do Heaven and Earth tell Cronus about in 'Theogony'?
(a) That he will rule the gods.
(b) That he will be overthrown by his daughter.
(c) That he will be overthrown by his son.
(d) That he will live forever.
4. How many heads does Chimaera have?
5. According to 'Theogony', what gift does Zeus give to humans?
6. According to Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Cronus try to prevent Heaven and Earth's prophecy?
(a) He does nothing.
(b) He swallows his children.
(c) He murders Zeus.
(d) He kills his children
7. Who is referred to as the old man in 'Theogony'?
8. In 'Theogony', what story does the speaker ask the Muses to tell him first?
(a) How the rain came.
(b) How the first gods and earth came to be.
(c) Who invented the wheel.
(d) How fire was invented.
9. In 'Theogony', what does Earth give Cronus to trick him into thinking she gave him a child?
(a) A slaughtered pig.
(b) A baby wrapped in blankets.
(c) A slaughtered cow.
(d) A stone wrapped in blankets.
10. Who eats Prometheus' liver?
(a) A bear.
(b) A tiger.
(d) An eagle.
11. What animal do Ceto and Phorcys give birth to?
(a) A lion.
(b) A fish.
(c) A dog.
(d) A snake.
12. Why is Earth mad at Heaven in 'Theogony'?
(a) She has an affair.
(b) She hid his sons.
(c) She disobeyed him.
(d) She betrayed him.
13. How does Hesiod explain in 'Theogony' that Aphrodite is formed?
(a) From sea foam.
(b) From falling stars.
(c) From diamonds.
(d) From clay.
14. Why, in 'Theogony', is the woman whose guile is not to be withstood by men created?
(a) As the price for water.
(b) As the price for fire.
(c) Because Zeus is bored.
(d) Because man is bored.
15. What happens in 'Theogony' when Zeus murders Cronus?
(a) Zeus does not murder Cronus.
(b) Cronus lives forever.
(c) Cronus dies.
(d) Cronus vomits up his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creatures are above Typhoeus' neck?
2. Who gives birth to Doom, Fate, Death and Sleep?
3. In 'Theogony', who does Zeus honor above all the other Gods?
4. What gift do Apollo and the muses give humans in 'Theogony'?
5. Who does the speaker praise in the beginning of 'Theogony' ?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)