|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal do Ceto and Phorcys give birth to?
(a) A dog.
(b) A fish.
(c) A lion.
(d) A snake.
2. In 'Theogony', how long do Zeus and Mnemosyne lay together prior to conceiving the Muses?
(a) Two nights.
(b) Thirty nights.
(c) Nine nights.
(d) Twenty nights.
3. Whose conception does the speaker write about at the start of 'Theogony'?
(d) The Muses.
4. What is Athena's greatest gift?
(c) The arts.
5. In 'Theogony', what does Earth give Cronus to trick him into thinking she gave him a child?
(a) A slaughtered cow.
(b) A baby wrapped in blankets.
(c) A stone wrapped in blankets.
(d) A slaughtered pig.
6. Which Goddess, according to 'Theogony', has privileges amongst the heavens, earth and sea?
(d) The titans.
7. What does Hesiod claim in 'Theogony' that Prometheus steals from Zeus?
8. In 'Theogony', who kills Hydra?
9. Why, in 'Theogony', is the woman whose guile is not to be withstood by men created?
(a) Because Zeus is bored.
(b) As the price for fire.
(c) As the price for water.
(d) Because man is bored.
10. In 'Theogony', what story does the speaker ask the Muses to tell him first?
(a) How the first gods and earth came to be.
(b) Who invented the wheel.
(c) How the rain came.
(d) How fire was invented.
11. According to Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Cronus try to prevent Heaven and Earth's prophecy?
(a) He kills his children
(b) He murders Zeus.
(c) He swallows his children.
(d) He does nothing.
12. Who is the father of gods and men?
13. Where is Zeus born?
(a) Lyetus of Crete.
(b) In heaven.
(c) Rome, Italy.
(d) On top of a mountain.
14. What happens in 'Theogony' when Zeus murders Cronus?
(a) Zeus does not murder Cronus.
(b) Cronus lives forever.
(c) Cronus dies.
(d) Cronus vomits up his children.
15. What creature does Hera raise to plague the Nemeans?
(a) A turtle.
(b) A lion.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A bear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives birth to Aether and Day?
2. How many heads does Chimaera have?
3. In 'Theogony', how does Zeus say men who will do not marry will be punished?
4. Who do Ceto and Phrocys give birth to?
5. Who gives birth to Toil, Forgetfulness and Famine.
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)