|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives birth to Toil, Forgetfulness and Famine.
2. Where does Heaven hide the sons she hates in 'Theogony'?
(b) Somewhere in Heaven.
(c) The mountains.
(d) Somewhere on Earth.
3. Whose conception does the speaker write about at the start of 'Theogony'?
(b) The Muses.
4. What is the job of the Muses that 'Theogony' deems most important?
(a) Feed dew to heaven-chosen princes.
(b) Create poetry for the Greeks.
(c) Feed Zeus grapes.
(d) Sing to Zeus.
5. Where do the Muses live?
(b) On the River Styx.
(c) Mt. Fuigi.
(d) Mt. Olympus.
6. How many muses are there?
7. Who kills Chimaera?
(b) Pegasus and Bellerophone.
8. Who is Hercules' mother?
(a) A muse.
(b) A God.
(c) A sea nymph.
(d) A mortal.
9. Apollo and the Muses give a gift to humans in 'Theogony'? Why did they give this gift?
(a) To make beauty.
(b) To entertain them.
(c) To give them knowledge.
(d) To end sorrow.
10. Who does Prometheus steal for in 'Theogony'?
11. What are the names of the Cyclopes?
(a) Phoebe, Tethys and Arges.
(b) Brontes, Steroppes and Arges.
(c) Brontes, Steroppes and Hera.
(d) Phoebe, Tethys and Cronos.
12. Who follows Aphrodite after her birth in 'Theogony'?
(a) Eros and Desire.
(b) Eros and Jealousy.
(c) Zeus and Hera.
13. What does Hesiod claim in 'Theogony' that Prometheus steals from Zeus?
14. How did the Titans receive their name?
(a) From their father.
(b) From the Earth.
(c) From Zeus.
(d) From a fearful deed they committed.
15. Who is the speaker of 'Theogony'?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Theogony', what story does the speaker ask the Muses to tell him first?
2. The Muses tell a story to Hesiod in 'Theogony'. Who do the Muses say came into the world first?
3. What happens in 'Theogony' when Zeus murders Cronus?
4. Where is Zeus born?
5. In 'Theogony', where does Zeus' mother hide him?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)