|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many heads does Geryones have?
2. Who gives birth to Zeus' first child?
3. Hesiod discusses the lineage of several Gods in 'Theogony'. Who is Zeus' father?
4. Who rules over the sea?
(b) The mermaids.
5. Who is referred to as the old man in 'Theogony'?
6. Who do Thaumas and Electra give birth to?
(a) Earth-Shaker and Zeus.
(b) Epithetheus and Prometheus.
(c) Crato and Bia.
(d) Iris, Harpies, Aello and Ocypetes.
7. Who does Prometheus steal for in 'Theogony'?
8. How does Zeus punish men who marry according to 'Theogony'?
(a) The will die a cruel death.
(b) They will live in a mixture of good and evil.
(c) They will cry forever.
(d) They will live forever.
9. Why, in 'Theogony', is the woman whose guile is not to be withstood by men created?
(a) As the price for fire.
(b) Because man is bored.
(c) As the price for water.
(d) Because Zeus is bored.
10. Who kills Medusa in 'Theogony'?
11. Who gives birth to the Cyclopes?
12. Who does the speaker praise in the beginning of 'Theogony' ?
(a) His father.
13. Who is Hecate the nurse of?
(a) The sick.
(b) The old.
(c) The young.
(d) The sad.
14. Why is Earth mad at Heaven in 'Theogony'?
(a) She disobeyed him.
(b) She betrayed him.
(c) She has an affair.
(d) She hid his sons.
15. What creature does Hera raise to plague the Nemeans?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A lion.
(c) A bear.
(d) A turtle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the speaker of 'Theogony' supposed to celebrate?
2. Which Goddess, according to 'Theogony', has privileges amongst the heavens, earth and sea?
3. How does Prometheus try to fool Zeus in the poem 'Theogony'?
4. According to Hesiod's poem 'Theogony', how does Cronus try to prevent Heaven and Earth's prophecy?
5. What does Zeus receive as a reward in 'Theogony' for murdering Cronus?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)