|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maureen enjoy the library so much?
2. In what condition is Pat when he comes home at night?
3. What happens to Bernie?
4. What are Maureen's responsibilities on a daily basis?
5. What is Loretta forced to do as payment for Howard's help?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jules reunite with Nadine?
2. How does Jules' relationship with Nadine end?
3. What does Jules do at the end of Chapter 7 of the third book?
4. What happens to Mrs. Wendall after Howard's death?
5. How does Loretta feel about Howard's absence?
6. How does Maureen make money so she can leave her parents' house?
7. What happens to Loretta after Howard's death?
8. What does Jules do while trying to perform a magic trick for Maureen?
9. Why does Loretta's family move away from Detroit?
10. How does Jules feel about himself after the shooting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jules's experience with fire is mentioned throughout the novel. How did his early experiences with fire shape his violent tendencies later on in life? Why is Jules so preoccupied with the concept of fire? How does his preoccupation with it tie into his participation in the race riots? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes of the novel is poverty. What role does poverty play in the lives of the characters? What situations might have been avoided if it were not for their poverty-stricken lifestyle? How did poverty affect the relationships between the main characters? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author barely mentions Loretta's two youngest children, Betty and Ronnie. Why do you think they are such minor characters? Why does the author focus only on Loretta's two oldest children? Would you, as a reader, have liked to know more about the two younger children? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)