|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Pat in jail?
2. Why is Jules almost killed in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
3. Why does Maureen enjoy the library so much?
4. How do the children react to Howard's death?
5. Why is Jules so anxious at the bank when cashing Bernard's checks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Maureen as a result of her method of earning income?
2. How does Jules feel about himself after the shooting?
3. How do Mort and Vera differ in their ideas about social change?
4. What does Jules tell Vera about love?
5. How does Jules seduce Nadine?
6. What does Loretta think about her relationship with her children while she is in the shelter?
7. How does Jules meet Bernard?
8. How does Loretta react when Maureen tells her about Jim?
9. How does Jules' relationship with Nadine end?
10. Why does Howard leave the farm in Chapter 6 of the first book?
Essay Topic 1
Jules is involved with a series of women in his life, each of them very different from the others. Who are these women? Do they have one thing in common that attracts Jules to them? If so, what is it? How healthy are these relationships? What does each of these women have to offer Jules? What do they each take from him? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Nadine's character is a very important one, in terms of how she affects Jules. What is the point of Nadine's character? What point is the author trying to convey through Nadine? What does the reader learn about Jules' character from his interactions with Nadine? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
None of Loretta's husbands were very good people. Why do you think this is so? Why did she choose to marry men who were poor providers, and poor caretakers for her children? Were there any better men for her to choose from? Do you think she even realized that her husbands were poor choices? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 2,253 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)