Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a child is Jules?
2. What is Maureen's method of escape?
3. How does Mrs. Wendall react to the barn fire?
4. What does Jules do when he finds Bernard?
5. In what condition is Pat when he comes home at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Loretta feel about Howard's absence?
2. What are some of Maureen's responsibilities around the house after Loretta marries Pat?
3. What happens to Maureen as a result of her method of earning income?
4. What does Loretta think about her relationship with her children while she is in the shelter?
5. How does Jules seduce Nadine?
6. How does Maureen make money so she can leave her parents' house?
7. What is Loretta's reputation as a teenager?
8. What do Jules and Nadine end up doing in Chapter 5 of the second book?
9. How does Mrs. Wendall react to the barn fire?
10. How do Mort and Vera differ in their ideas about social change?
None of Loretta's husbands were very good people. Why do you think this is so? Why did she choose to marry men who were poor providers, and poor caretakers for her children? Were there any better men for her to choose from? Do you think she even realized that her husbands were poor choices? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Nadine's character is a very important one, in terms of how she affects Jules. What is the point of Nadine's character? What point is the author trying to convey through Nadine? What does the reader learn about Jules' character from his interactions with Nadine? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
One of the main themes of the novel is poverty. What role does poverty play in the lives of the characters? What situations might have been avoided if it were not for their poverty-stricken lifestyle? How did poverty affect the relationships between the main characters? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)