|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jules do when he finds Bernard?
2. What does Jules focus on after his father's death?
3. How old is Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
4. Why is Jules so anxious at the bank when cashing Bernard's checks?
5. What happens when Jules visits Nadine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Wendall react to the barn fire?
2. What is Jules's living situation in Chapter 6 of the third book?
3. Why is Jim re-evaluating his relationship with his current wife?
4. What happens to Howard in Chapter 10 of the first book?
5. What happens the night that Jules runs away and Loretta is frantic to find him?
6. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the novel?
7. How does Jules feel about the riot fires on the streets of Detroit?
8. What happens to Bernard?
9. What is Betty's relationship with her family?
10. How does Loretta deal with Maureen's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes of the novel is poverty. What role does poverty play in the lives of the characters? What situations might have been avoided if it were not for their poverty-stricken lifestyle? How did poverty affect the relationships between the main characters? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The author states that Maureen's character is based upon one of the author's former university students. Do you think that everything that occurs in the novel, therefore, is true? Why or why not? If not, which parts do you think are fictionalized or exaggerated? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Bernard is a minor character, who plays an important role in the novel. Why is his character in the novel for such a short time? What is his impact on Jules' life? Why is his character in such sharp contrast to the other characters in the novel? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)