|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maureen decide to make money?
2. Why does Faye take Jules home when she meets him?
3. What is Loretta forced to do as payment for Howard's help?
4. Why is Mrs. Wendall placed in a nursing home?
5. What does Loretta discover when she visits her father after moving away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the night that Jules runs away and Loretta is frantic to find him?
2. How does Loretta feel about Howard's absence?
3. How does Jules feel about the riot fires on the streets of Detroit?
4. As a young adult, what is Maureen's escape from her everyday life?
5. How does Loretta react when Maureen tells her about Jim?
6. What is the relationship between Samson Wendall and Jules?
7. What does Jules do while trying to perform a magic trick for Maureen?
8. What is Jules and Nadine's relationship like after their reunion?
9. Why does Loretta's family move away from Detroit?
10. What is Betty's relationship with her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Howard dies, Jules struggles to remember anything about him, and knows only that he doesn't want to suffer the same fate with his own children. Why do you think this is so? Does Jules know why he feels this way about his father? Do you think he has a plan for how to avoid this fate with his children? What are some factors that contributed to Jules' lack of a relationship with his father? How might Jules remedy these problems with his own children? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Bernard is a minor character, who plays an important role in the novel. Why is his character in the novel for such a short time? What is his impact on Jules' life? Why is his character in such sharp contrast to the other characters in the novel? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Maureen went to college in hopes of bettering her situation. Did she get what she wanted? If her plan was to marry someone who could take care of her, why bother going to college? Do you think she was better off with the choice she made, to marry Jim and have him take care of her? Or do you think it would have been better if she had finished school, gotten a job, and taken care of herself? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)