|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maureen enjoy the library so much?
2. What does Mrs. Wendall say about Jules's future?
3. Why is the person Loretta goes to unable to help her?
4. What type of child is Betty?
5. How might Nadine's emotions be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jules and Nadine's relationship like after their reunion?
2. What is the result of Jules's and Nadine's adventure?
3. How does Loretta feel when she sees Jules on the news?
4. How does Mrs. Wendall react to the barn fire?
5. What do Maureen and Jules talk about when Jules visits her in Dearborn?
6. What does Jules tell Vera about love?
7. Why does Howard leave the farm in Chapter 6 of the first book?
8. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the novel?
9. How does Jules reunite with Nadine?
10. What happens to Jules in Tulsa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the literary techniques employed by the author is that of switching viewpoints between the characters. How effective is this technique? Why? What does it help to accomplish? Is there another, more effective way to accomplish the same result? If so, what is it? Did you like this style of writing? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Nadine's character is a very important one, in terms of how she affects Jules. What is the point of Nadine's character? What point is the author trying to convey through Nadine? What does the reader learn about Jules' character from his interactions with Nadine? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
None of Loretta's husbands were very good people. Why do you think this is so? Why did she choose to marry men who were poor providers, and poor caretakers for her children? Were there any better men for her to choose from? Do you think she even realized that her husbands were poor choices? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)