|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Loretta feel about Howard's absence?
(a) She does not miss him, surprisingly.
(b) She is angry at him, and glad he is gone.
(c) She is lost without him.
(d) She misses him, but is able to cope.
2. What does Nadine do to help Jules in Chapter 6 of the second book?
(a) She offers to call her father to drive them home.
(b) She brings him to a hospital.
(c) Nothing; she takes the car and leaves.
(d) She cares for him until he is well again.
3. How does the barn fire start?
(a) Embers from a campfire.
(b) A cigarette butt that isn't extinguished.
(c) A magic trick gone awry.
(d) Sunlight hitting a convex piece of glass.
4. Who is Pat Furlong?
(a) Loretta's new husband.
(b) Howard's former employer.
(c) A reverend at the local church.
(d) A police officer investigating Howard's death.
5. What year is it in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard leaves Loretta and their children to go where?
2. Where is Howard living, after the war?
3. Who burns down the barn?
4. What are the rumors circulating about Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
5. Where is Mrs. Wendall living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maureen want to marry Jim?
2. What happens to Mrs. Wendall after Howard's death?
3. What happens to Maureen after Howard's death?
4. What is the result of Jules's and Nadine's adventure?
5. How does Jules get a rifle during the riot?
6. Who is helping Maureen to come out of her catatonia?
7. What does Maureen write about one of her other professors?
8. What happens to Bernard?
9. What is Maureen's situation at the beginning of the third book?
10. How does Loretta react when Maureen tells her about Jim?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)