|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Jules visits Nadine?
(a) She robs him.
(b) She throws him out.
(c) He seduces her.
(d) He rapes her.
2. Why is Pat in jail?
(a) For beating Maureen so severely.
(b) For stealing money from work.
(c) For stealing a car.
(d) For a bar fight.
3. How long is Pat in jail?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Four months.
(c) A year.
(d) Six months.
4. Who is Pat Furlong?
(a) Howard's former employer.
(b) A police officer investigating Howard's death.
(c) Loretta's new husband.
(d) A reverend at the local church.
5. Where is Mrs. Wendall living?
(a) With another relative.
(b) In a nursing home.
(c) With Loretta and Howard.
(d) In a shelter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jules?
2. Who is the first major character to be introduced?
3. Why is Mrs. Wendall placed in a nursing home?
4. What does Loretta discover when she visits her father after moving away?
5. Why is Jules so anxious at the bank when cashing Bernard's checks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jules feel after his father's funeral?
2. What happens to Loretta after her building burns down during the riots?
3. Why hasn't Maureen been able to get a job?
4. How does Maureen make money so she can leave her parents' house?
5. What is Loretta's reputation as a teenager?
6. What is the significance of the letters that Maureen writes?
7. Who is helping Maureen to come out of her catatonia?
8. What happens to Maureen as a result of her method of earning income?
9. Why is Jim re-evaluating his relationship with his current wife?
10. What does Jules tell Vera about love?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)