|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Loretta arrested?
(b) Leaving her children unattended.
(c) Distributing narcotics.
(d) Carrying a concealed weapon.
2. Where does Loretta rent a room?
(a) Next to a police station.
(b) Behind a general store.
(c) Over a flower shop.
(d) Over a funeral parlor.
3. What happens to Jules at school?
(a) He falls in love with a nun.
(b) He is suspended for starting a fight.
(c) He is beaten up for trying to steal someone's lunch.
(d) He is paddled by a teacher.
4. Why doesn't Maureen have a job?
(a) She has no marketable skills.
(b) Loretta won't allow her to get one.
(c) She doesn't want to detract from her study time.
(d) There are no jobs available in her neighborhood.
5. Why does Maureen enjoy the library so much?
(a) She knows an education is the key to rising out of poverty.
(b) She associates the stillness with a life she hopes to someday have away from her family.
(c) She hopes to meet a man there who can take her away from her family.
(d) There is a librarian there that she has a crush on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jules dream of when looking at maps and books?
2. What does Jules struggle with after Howard's funeral?
3. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the second book?
4. What happens to Maureen's notebook?
5. In what condition is Maureen at the beginning of the second book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Loretta's reputation as a teenager?
2. As a young adult, how does Maureen feel about her family?
3. How does Jules feel after his father's funeral?
4. What is Betty's relationship with her family?
5. What do Jules and Nadine end up doing in Chapter 5 of the second book?
6. What does Maureen write about one of her other professors?
7. What happens to Bernard?
8. How does Loretta react when Maureen tells her about Jim?
9. What is the content of Maureen's letters?
10. What state is Maureen in as a result of her attack?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)