|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Loretta force Maureen to do for Pat?
(a) Perform sexual favors for him.
(b) Give him backrubs.
(c) Wash his laundry.
(d) Shave his chest.
2. How old is Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Loretta do every night while waiting for Pat to come home?
(a) Darns socks.
(b) Goes to bed.
(d) Does dishes.
4. Who is Pat Furlong?
(a) A reverend at the local church.
(b) A police officer investigating Howard's death.
(c) Howard's former employer.
(d) Loretta's new husband.
5. Why do Jules, Maureen, and Betty fail to bond with their parents?
(a) Loretta's children blame her for the abuse they suffered at the hands of Mrs. Wendall.
(b) Their pervasive financial problems don't leave much time for bonding.
(c) Loretta never wanted to have children.
(d) Loretta blames her children for her financial problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Howard Wendall?
2. What does Mrs. Wendall say about Jules's future?
3. Who is Bernard Geffen?
4. Why does Loretta feed Maureen sweets every day?
5. What relationship exists between Nadine and Bernard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jules meet Bernard?
2. Why does Howard leave the farm in Chapter 6 of the first book?
3. Why does Maureen want to marry Jim?
4. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the novel?
5. What happens to Maureen as a result of her method of earning income?
6. How does Jules get a rifle during the riot?
7. How does Jules feel about the riot fires on the streets of Detroit?
8. How do Mort and Vera differ in their ideas about social change?
9. What happens to Bernard?
10. How does Jules feel after his father's funeral?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)