|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maureen feel about her parents?
(a) She loves them, and pities them.
(b) She hates them for keeping the family mired in poverty.
(c) She loves them, and is happy at home.
(d) She admires them for their hard work.
2. How does Maureen feel about the loss of her notebook?
(a) She is furious at her sister's carelessness.
(b) She is proud of herself for keeping duplicates of all of her notes.
(c) She is devastated by her own irresponsibility.
(d) She feels hopeless and doesn't know how to retrieve it.
3. What happens to Bernie?
(a) He contracts a terminal illness.
(b) His sister is kidnapped.
(c) He is hit by a car and killed.
(d) He is shot and killed.
4. How does Loretta feel about Mrs. Wendall?
(a) She is glad to have her as company.
(b) She hates her meddling, overbearing attitude.
(c) She is jealous of Mrs. Wendall's relationship with Howard.
(d) She is grateful to have her around to help with the children.
5. Why does Loretta feed Maureen sweets every day?
(a) Loretta wants to keep Maureen too weak to run away.
(b) Loretta thinks that if Maureen is eating, she is fine.
(c) Loretta feels that Maureen is too thin.
(d) Loretta wants to make Maureen happy with her favorite foods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Howard living, after the war?
2. Why is Bernard killed?
3. What type of school do Loretta's children attend?
4. Why does Bernard give Jules three hundred dollars?
5. How do the children react to Howard's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What state is Maureen in as a result of her attack?
2. How does Loretta feel when she sees Jules on the news?
3. Which of Jules's behaviors is particularly worrisome to Loretta?
4. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the novel?
5. What happens to Maureen after Howard's death?
6. What happens when Loretta visits her father for the first time after her marriage?
7. What does Maureen write about one of her other professors?
8. What is Betty's relationship with her family?
9. What is the relationship between Samson Wendall and Jules?
10. How does Loretta react when Maureen tells her about Jim?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)