|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jules want to do with his own children?
(a) Home-school them.
(b) Give them opportunities that he never had.
(c) Ensure that they remember him when he is gone.
(d) Live somewhere far away from Detroit.
2. Where is Howard living, after the war?
(a) In Detroit, with Loretta.
(b) At home with his mother.
(c) With another relative.
(d) On the streets.
3. How do the children react to Howard's death?
(a) Jules is devastated, but the girls show little emotion.
(b) They are all devastated.
(c) Betty is the only one who is upset about it.
(d) They show little emotion.
4. Why is Mrs. Wendall placed in a nursing home?
(a) Her deteriorating health.
(b) Mrs. Wendall no longer wants to live with Loretta and her children.
(c) The family is forced to move into a smaller home.
(d) The family can't afford to feed her.
5. What does Nadine know about why Bernard was killed?
(a) She knows who killed him, and why.
(c) She knows it is because he got involved with the wrong people.
(d) She thinks it is because he didn't pay his bookie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches Loretta's children while Loretta goes out to make money?
2. Why doesn't Maureen have a job?
3. What year is it in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
4. Who is Jules?
5. How does Maureen decide to make money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jules and Nadine end up doing in Chapter 5 of the second book?
2. What does Jules do at the end of Chapter 7 of the third book?
3. What is the significance of the letters that Maureen writes?
4. How does Jules reunite with Nadine?
5. As a young adult, what is Maureen's escape from her everyday life?
6. How does Loretta feel about Howard's absence?
7. What is happening to Maureen as she begins to come out of her catatonia?
8. As a young adult, how does Maureen feel about her family?
9. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the novel?
10. What is Maureen's situation at the beginning of the third book?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)