|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Pat in jail?
(a) For beating Maureen so severely.
(b) For stealing a car.
(c) For stealing money from work.
(d) For a bar fight.
2. Who is Rita?
(a) Howard's sister.
(b) Loretta's daughter.
(c) Loretta's friend.
(d) Bernie's niece.
3. What position is Maureen elected to in school?
(a) Officer of the debate team.
(b) Secretary of her homeroom.
(c) Class president.
(d) Leader of the student senate.
4. Why does Maureen enjoy the library so much?
(a) She associates the stillness with a life she hopes to someday have away from her family.
(b) She knows an education is the key to rising out of poverty.
(c) She hopes to meet a man there who can take her away from her family.
(d) There is a librarian there that she has a crush on.
5. What does Howard do for Loretta?
(a) He gives her a job at his restaurant.
(b) He gives her medication to sell.
(c) He loans her money to get out of town.
(d) He helps her cover up Bernie's murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Maureen?
2. What sort of relationship does Betty have with her brother and sister?
3. In what city does most of the novel take place?
4. Who is Bernard Geffen?
5. Who cooks and waits up for Pat every night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jules seduce Nadine?
2. How does Loretta feel about Howard's absence?
3. What is the relationship between Samson Wendall and Jules?
4. What is the significance of the letters that Maureen writes?
5. What is Maureen's situation at the beginning of the third book?
6. What happens to Mrs. Wendall after Howard's death?
7. What does Jules do while trying to perform a magic trick for Maureen?
8. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the novel?
9. How does Jules feel about himself after the shooting?
10. What happens to Loretta and Bernie?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)