|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pat see Maureen doing, in the last chapter of the first book?
(a) He sees her sneaking out of the house after dark.
(b) He sees her looking through his wallet.
(c) He sees her putting her money away.
(d) He sees her in a car with a man, her customer.
2. Why is Loretta arrested?
(a) Carrying a concealed weapon.
(b) Leaving her children unattended.
(c) Distributing narcotics.
3. What does Jules dream of when looking at maps and books?
(a) Becoming a pirate.
(b) Staying in Detroit to help his mother.
(c) Getting away from Detroit one day.
(d) Joining the circus.
4. What does Jules struggle with after Howard's funeral?
(a) Jules needs a male role model.
(b) Jules can't remember anything about his father.
(c) Jules now has to care for his mother and sisters.
(d) Jules feels guilty for not being more upset.
5. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the second book?
(a) She is pregnant, but still working.
(b) She is not pregnant and still working.
(c) She is pregnant and unemployed.
(d) She is not pregnant, but unemployed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first major character to be introduced?
2. How long is Pat in jail?
3. What sort of relationship does Betty have with her brother and sister?
4. What does Mrs. Wendall say about Jules's future?
5. What does Nadine do to help Jules in Chapter 6 of the second book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jules and Nadine end up doing in Chapter 5 of the second book?
2. What happens to Mrs. Wendall after Howard's death?
3. What does Jules tell Vera about love?
4. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the novel?
5. What does Jules do while trying to perform a magic trick for Maureen?
6. Why hasn't Maureen been able to get a job?
7. How does Jules feel after his father's funeral?
8. How does Loretta meet Howard?
9. How does Loretta deal with Maureen's condition?
10. Why does Maureen want to marry Jim?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)