|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pat comes home after witnessing Maureen's actions, what does he do?
(a) He talks to Loretta about Maureen's actions.
(b) He beats Maureen severely.
(c) He calls the police.
(d) He packs Maureen's things and throws them onto the lawn.
2. What does Loretta discover when she visits her father after moving away?
(a) That he has been killed.
(b) That he has gotten remarried.
(c) That he has been institutionalized.
(d) That he is missing.
3. Who takes Mrs. Wendall to all of her appointments at the clinic?
4. Why doesn't Maureen have a job?
(a) There are no jobs available in her neighborhood.
(b) Loretta won't allow her to get one.
(c) She doesn't want to detract from her study time.
(d) She has no marketable skills.
5. Who is Jules?
(a) Loretta's nephew.
(b) Howard's brother.
(c) Loretta's oldest son.
(d) Brock's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the second book?
2. What does Jules dream of when looking at maps and books?
3. What happens to Jules at school?
4. How does the barn fire start?
5. To whom does Loretta go for help while Howard is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mort and Vera differ in their ideas about social change?
2. How does Jules feel about the riot fires on the streets of Detroit?
3. What happens to Maureen as a result of her method of earning income?
4. What is the relationship between Samson Wendall and Jules?
5. How does Jules feel after his father's funeral?
6. Why hasn't Maureen been able to get a job?
7. Which of Jules's behaviors is particularly worrisome to Loretta?
8. How does Loretta feel when she sees Jules on the news?
9. What is Betty's relationship with her family?
10. What state is Maureen in as a result of her attack?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)