|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Maureen want to marry?
2. Where does Jules think he may have found a promising career?
3. Jules tries to establish a career for himself in what field?
(a) Real estate.
(b) Appliance sales.
(c) Automobile sales.
4. What does Vera suggest for a radical display?
(a) A protest in front of the city hall.
(b) A large fire.
(c) An attack on the police force.
(d) A hunger strike.
5. After her marriage to Jim, why doesn't Maureen want any contact with her family?
(a) She wants the part of her life she associates with them to be over.
(b) She is afraid of becoming involved with their criminal activities.
(c) She doesn't want Joe to know how poor her family is.
(d) Joe doesn't allow her to have any contact with them.
6. What does Jules end up doing for money in Chapter 7 of the second book?
(a) Prostituting himself.
(b) Selling his blood.
(c) Participating in a medical experiment.
(d) Selling his coin collection.
7. With whom is Jules living in Chapter 6 of the third book?
(d) Marcia and her son Tommy.
8. How does Nadine feel about Jules when they reunite?
(a) She loves him and wants to leave her husband to be with him.
(b) She is simply using him.
(c) She loves him, but is confused.
(d) She wants him because she is bored and lonely.
9. What prevents Nadine from committing fully to a relationship with Jules?
(a) Her marriage.
(b) Her job.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her parents.
10. Who is Miss Oates?
(a) Betty's teacher.
(b) Jules's girlfriend.
(c) Loretta's coworker.
(d) Maureen's professor.
11. Where do Jules and Loretta go every week, in Chapter 10 of the second book?
(a) The library.
(b) The welfare office.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The grocery store.
12. Where does Jules see Nadine again, after their long separation following the ill-fated road trip?
(a) At the bank.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At work.
(d) Shopping for groceries.
13. Where does Maureen write her letters?
(a) At work.
(c) At home.
(d) At the library.
14. Where is Maureen living at the end of the novel?
15. Who does Jules write to in Chapter 7 of the second book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Loretta seek shelter at the YMCA?
2. In what way has Maureen changed since the beginning of the novel?
3. At the novel's end, why is Jules moving?
4. What does Jim encourage Maureen to do?
5. What does Jules tell Vera about love?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)