|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Maureen writing in Chapter 8 of the second book?
(c) Miss Oates.
(d) Mrs. Wendall.
2. Who offers Jules a ride while he is meandering the streets?
(a) Mort and his friends.
(b) Vera and Marcia.
(c) Some kids from Kentucky.
3. Why does Jules avoid the gazes of the policemen on the streets?
(a) Out of habit.
(b) The person whose car he stole saw and recognized him.
(c) He is selling drugs for a living.
(d) He has a warrant for his arrest.
4. Upon whom is Maureen's character based?
(a) One of the author's family members.
(b) A character in a movie.
(c) One of the author's students.
(d) A character in another book.
5. What does Loretta steal during the riots?
(a) A television.
(c) A car.
(d) A gun.
6. Who is ill in Chapter 10 of the second book?
7. Who is Vera?
(a) Mort's sister.
(b) Maureen's friend.
(c) One of Mort's proteges.
(d) Loretta's youngest daughter.
8. To what does Jules compare himself in Chapter 7 of the third book?
(a) A toy that has run out of batteries.
(b) A radio that can only play static.
(c) A weed growing through the cracks in the sidewalk.
(d) A flower that is past its prime.
9. How long have Jim and his wife been married?
(a) Five years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Nine years.
10. What does Samson do for Jules?
(a) Loans him money.
(b) Gives him a job.
(c) Helps him get Nadine back.
(d) Buys him a car.
11. What is happening to Maureen during her recovery?
(a) She is having difficulty learning how to do simple things.
(b) She is having flashbacks of the night she was beaten.
(c) She is slowly going blind.
(d) She is forgetting much of her past.
12. What is being broadcast on television when Maureen visits Loretta at her apartment?
(a) News of the race riots in Detroit.
(b) A game show.
(c) A sitcom that portrays a poverty-stricken family.
(d) News of the war that has just begun.
13. What does Jules tell Vera about love?
(a) That he no longer believes it is real.
(b) That he wants it more than anything.
(c) That he once thought it was impossible to live without it.
(d) That he thinks it is impossible to live without it.
14. What is Maureen doing at the beginning of the third book?
(a) Having a baby.
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Working at the library.
(d) Staring into her reflection in a mirror.
15. How does Mort feel about America?
(a) He has lost hope and wants to leave.
(b) He is apathetic because he doesn't believe change is coming.
(c) He wants things to change, but doubts they will.
(d) He is full of hope, despite the riots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maureen beginning to be able to do in Chapter 7 of the second book?
2. What does Jules encourage Maureen to do when he visits her in Dearborn?
3. Where does Loretta see Jules when she gets out of the shelter?
4. What is Nadine's situation when Jules sees her again?
5. How much time has passed between Maureen's year of catatonia, and the present time in Chapter 8 of the second book?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)