|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Maureen write her letters?
(b) At the library.
(c) At home.
(d) At work.
2. Why does Maureen want Jules to leave quickly when he visits?
(a) She doesn't want Joe to come home and find Jules there.
(b) She is afraid of Jules because she knows he is a murderer.
(c) She doesn't want the police to come to her house to find Jules.
(d) She is afraid of what her neighbors will think of Jules.
3. What happens as Nadine and Jules are walking together and making plans to meet again?
(a) Nadine pulls a gun from her pocket and shoots Jules and herself.
(b) Nadine's husband finds her and kills Jules.
(c) Jules is hit by a drunk driver.
(d) Nadine is killed by a heart attack.
4. What does Maureen want to do to Jim?
(a) Destroy his financial situation.
(b) Ensure that he goes to jail for a crime he committed.
(c) Break up his family and marry him herself.
(d) Ruin his career so that she has less job competition.
5. Why does Mort want to rid himself of his money?
(a) He wants to give it to charity.
(b) He got it dishonestly.
(c) He didn't work for it.
(d) So he can concentrate on helping people.
6. Why does Jules get out of the car that he had ridden in?
(a) The driver tries to kidnap him.
(b) It crashes into a building.
(c) The car catches fire.
(d) The streets are too full of people to drive through.
7. What does Jules's girlfriend want him to do?
(a) Get a job.
(b) Move away from the city with her.
(c) Have a child with her.
(d) Marry her.
8. What does the library mean to Maureen?
(a) It is a place for her to see her friends, away from her mother's watchful eye.
(b) It symbolizes the education that will get her out of her present situation.
(c) It is the place where she someday hopes to have a career.
(d) It is a haven of peace, and a place to escape.
9. Who does Maureen want to marry?
10. Where does Maureen live, at the beginning of the third book?
(a) With her boyfriend.
(b) On her own.
(c) With Jules.
(d) With Loretta.
11. Jules tries to establish a career for himself in what field?
(a) Real estate.
(c) Automobile sales.
(d) Appliance sales.
12. What does Loretta blame for the disconnect between herself and her children?
(a) She blames herself for not spending enough time with them.
(b) She blames her children for not bonding with her more.
(c) She thinks she had someone else's children.
(d) She blames the Negroes for giving them false ideals.
13. The third book begins in what year?
14. How does Loretta initially react when Maureen tells her of her plans to marry Jim?
(a) She is pleased.
(b) She is apathetic.
(c) She is jealous.
(d) She is angry.
15. When Maureen's recovery begins, how long has she been in her catatonic state?
(a) Six months.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) A year.
(d) Two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maureen beginning to be able to do in Chapter 7 of the second book?
2. What has the visitor been doing for Maureen?
3. What does Jules encourage Maureen to do when he visits her in Dearborn?
4. Who does Jules encounter after breaking the windows?
5. What is being broadcast on television when Maureen visits Loretta at her apartment?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)