|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Maureen write her letters?
(a) At the library.
(b) At work.
(d) At home.
2. How do Maureen and Loretta feel about black people?
(a) They think they are at the root of all the city's problems.
(b) They don't care, because they don't know any black people.
(c) They detest them.
(d) They feel that they should have equality.
3. With whom is Jules living in Chapter 6 of the third book?
(c) Marcia and her son Tommy.
4. Why does Maureen want Jules to leave quickly when he visits?
(a) She doesn't want Joe to come home and find Jules there.
(b) She is afraid of Jules because she knows he is a murderer.
(c) She doesn't want the police to come to her house to find Jules.
(d) She is afraid of what her neighbors will think of Jules.
5. Why does Loretta seek shelter at the YMCA?
(a) A firebomb burns down her building.
(b) She lost her job and can't pay her rent.
(c) Her husband left and she can't pay her rent.
(d) The friend she was staying with moved to another state.
6. How does Jules feel about himself after his near-death experience?
(a) He feels as if he has a new lease on life because of what happened to him.
(b) He is hopeless, and doesn't feel like himself anymore.
(c) He is happier now than he ever was before.
(d) He is angry at himself for the situation he is in.
7. What happens as Nadine and Jules are walking together and making plans to meet again?
(a) Nadine is killed by a heart attack.
(b) Nadine's husband finds her and kills Jules.
(c) Jules is hit by a drunk driver.
(d) Nadine pulls a gun from her pocket and shoots Jules and herself.
8. What does Jules's girlfriend want him to do?
(a) Move away from the city with her.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Have a child with her.
9. What does Vera suggest for a radical display?
(a) A large fire.
(b) An attack on the police force.
(c) A protest in front of the city hall.
(d) A hunger strike.
10. In what way has Maureen changed since the beginning of the novel?
(a) She is cold-hearted and calculating.
(b) She is heavier and less attractive.
(c) She is confused and indecisive.
(d) She is actively pursuing what she wants.
11. Who does Maureen want to marry?
12. To what does Jules compare himself in Chapter 7 of the third book?
(a) A radio that can only play static.
(b) A toy that has run out of batteries.
(c) A weed growing through the cracks in the sidewalk.
(d) A flower that is past its prime.
13. What happens to Jules as a result of his idea to make money?
(a) He is killed.
(b) He contracts a sexually transmitted disease.
(c) His vision is severely and permanently impaired.
(d) He contracts a serious infection.
14. After her marriage to Jim, why doesn't Maureen want any contact with her family?
(a) She is afraid of becoming involved with their criminal activities.
(b) Joe doesn't allow her to have any contact with them.
(c) She doesn't want Joe to know how poor her family is.
(d) She wants the part of her life she associates with them to be over.
15. Jules tries to establish a career for himself in what field?
(a) Appliance sales.
(b) Automobile sales.
(c) Real estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jules encourage Maureen to do when he visits her in Dearborn?
2. Why does Mort want to rid himself of his money?
3. Who is Mort?
4. What has the visitor been doing for Maureen?
5. How does Jules feel about Nadine when they reunite?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)