|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nadine feel about Jules when they reunite?
(a) She wants him because she is bored and lonely.
(b) She loves him and wants to leave her husband to be with him.
(c) She is simply using him.
(d) She loves him, but is confused.
2. After her marriage to Jim, why doesn't Maureen want any contact with her family?
(a) She doesn't want Joe to know how poor her family is.
(b) Joe doesn't allow her to have any contact with them.
(c) She is afraid of becoming involved with their criminal activities.
(d) She wants the part of her life she associates with them to be over.
3. What does Jules tell Vera about love?
(a) That he wants it more than anything.
(b) That he no longer believes it is real.
(c) That he thinks it is impossible to live without it.
(d) That he once thought it was impossible to live without it.
4. Who offers Jules a ride while he is meandering the streets?
(b) Mort and his friends.
(c) Vera and Marcia.
(d) Some kids from Kentucky.
5. Where is Maureen living at the end of the novel?
6. Why does Jules avoid the gazes of the policemen on the streets?
(a) Out of habit.
(b) The person whose car he stole saw and recognized him.
(c) He has a warrant for his arrest.
(d) He is selling drugs for a living.
7. To what does Jules compare himself in Chapter 7 of the third book?
(a) A weed growing through the cracks in the sidewalk.
(b) A radio that can only play static.
(c) A toy that has run out of batteries.
(d) A flower that is past its prime.
8. Where does Loretta see Jules when she gets out of the shelter?
(a) On television.
(b) In the grocery store.
(c) On the streetcorner.
(d) At his home.
9. How does Jules feel about Nadine when they reunite?
(a) He is interested in her because she is a challenge.
(b) He doesn't have any deep feelings for her.
(c) He is still in love with her.
(d) He stays with her because he is lonely.
10. What does Jim encourage Maureen to do?
(a) Become a model.
(b) Participate in after-class activities.
(c) Leave school and get a job.
(d) Move to Las Vegas.
11. What does Vera suggest for a radical display?
(a) A large fire.
(b) A protest in front of the city hall.
(c) A hunger strike.
(d) An attack on the police force.
12. Why does Maureen want Jules to leave quickly when he visits?
(a) She is afraid of Jules because she knows he is a murderer.
(b) She is afraid of what her neighbors will think of Jules.
(c) She doesn't want Joe to come home and find Jules there.
(d) She doesn't want the police to come to her house to find Jules.
13. When Maureen's recovery begins, how long has she been in her catatonic state?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) A year.
(c) Two months.
(d) Six months.
14. What is Jules trying to do in Chapter 7 of the second book?
(a) Get a job in Michigan.
(b) Make his way from Texas back to Michigan.
(c) Get a job in Texas.
(d) Get from Michigan down to Texas.
15. What does Maureen write about in her letters?
(a) What her night classes have meant to her.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) How she has pieced her life back together after her catatonia.
(d) What her future plans are.
Short Answer Questions
1. Loretta is determined to adopt an air of possessing what quality while at the shelter?
2. How is Jules making money in Chapter 6 of the third book?
3. Why does Jim find himself attracted to Maureen?
4. Upon whom is Maureen's character based?
5. Who is ill in Chapter 10 of the second book?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)