|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The third book begins in what year?
2. When Maureen's recovery begins, how long has she been in her catatonic state?
(a) Two months.
(b) A year.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Six months.
3. Where does Maureen live, at the beginning of the third book?
(a) With Jules.
(b) On her own.
(c) With her boyfriend.
(d) With Loretta.
4. At the novel's end, why is Jules moving?
(a) To get away from his family.
(b) To start a new life with Nadine.
(c) To avoid the police pursuing him.
(d) To continue his work with Mort.
5. Why does Jules get out of the car that he had ridden in?
(a) The driver tries to kidnap him.
(b) The streets are too full of people to drive through.
(c) It crashes into a building.
(d) The car catches fire.
6. Why does Loretta seek shelter at the YMCA?
(a) The friend she was staying with moved to another state.
(b) Her husband left and she can't pay her rent.
(c) A firebomb burns down her building.
(d) She lost her job and can't pay her rent.
7. What is happening to Maureen during her recovery?
(a) She is slowly going blind.
(b) She is forgetting much of her past.
(c) She is having flashbacks of the night she was beaten.
(d) She is having difficulty learning how to do simple things.
8. To what does Jules compare himself in Chapter 7 of the third book?
(a) A toy that has run out of batteries.
(b) A flower that is past its prime.
(c) A weed growing through the cracks in the sidewalk.
(d) A radio that can only play static.
9. In what way has Maureen changed since the beginning of the novel?
(a) She is heavier and less attractive.
(b) She is cold-hearted and calculating.
(c) She is actively pursuing what she wants.
(d) She is confused and indecisive.
10. Where do Jules and Nadine go after becoming reacquainted?
(a) On vacation.
(b) To a hotel.
(c) To Texas.
(d) To a restaurant.
11. What does Maureen do at the University of Detroit?
(a) Attends night school.
(b) Works as a janitor.
(c) Works as a secretary.
(d) Tutors high school students.
12. After her marriage to Jim, why doesn't Maureen want any contact with her family?
(a) She is afraid of becoming involved with their criminal activities.
(b) She doesn't want Joe to know how poor her family is.
(c) She wants the part of her life she associates with them to be over.
(d) Joe doesn't allow her to have any contact with them.
13. How does Loretta's attitude change when she finds out that Jim is married?
(a) She admires Maureen for her courage.
(b) She calls Maureen a whore, and kicks her out.
(c) She disapproves, but doesn't want to get involved.
(d) She pretends to be pleased, but is secretly disappointed in Maureen.
14. Who gives Jules a rifle on the street?
(a) A young African-American boy who has been shot.
(b) A man who wants Jules to fight with him.
(c) A woman who is running away from the riots.
(d) A policeman who wants all the help he can get.
15. With whom is Jules living in Chapter 6 of the third book?
(b) Marcia and her son Tommy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Loretta see Jules when she gets out of the shelter?
2. What is Jules trying to do in Chapter 7 of the second book?
3. Why did Jim marry, and stay married?
4. What happens as Nadine and Jules are walking together and making plans to meet again?
5. What happens to Jules as a result of his idea to make money?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)