|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is central in Chapter 7 of the second book?
2. How does the second book end?
(a) Jules is permanently injured.
(b) Jules dies.
(c) Jules and Nadine get married.
(d) Nadine dies.
3. What does Loretta steal during the riots?
(b) A television.
(c) A car.
(d) A gun.
4. How does Mort feel about America?
(a) He has lost hope and wants to leave.
(b) He is full of hope, despite the riots.
(c) He is apathetic because he doesn't believe change is coming.
(d) He wants things to change, but doubts they will.
5. The third book begins in what year?
6. To what does Jules compare himself in Chapter 7 of the third book?
(a) A toy that has run out of batteries.
(b) A flower that is past its prime.
(c) A radio that can only play static.
(d) A weed growing through the cracks in the sidewalk.
7. What happens as Nadine and Jules are walking together and making plans to meet again?
(a) Jules is hit by a drunk driver.
(b) Nadine is killed by a heart attack.
(c) Nadine pulls a gun from her pocket and shoots Jules and herself.
(d) Nadine's husband finds her and kills Jules.
8. What does Jules's girlfriend want him to do?
(a) Move away from the city with her.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Have a child with her.
(d) Get a job.
9. After her marriage to Jim, why doesn't Maureen want any contact with her family?
(a) She wants the part of her life she associates with them to be over.
(b) Joe doesn't allow her to have any contact with them.
(c) She is afraid of becoming involved with their criminal activities.
(d) She doesn't want Joe to know how poor her family is.
10. Why does Loretta seek shelter at the YMCA?
(a) The friend she was staying with moved to another state.
(b) A firebomb burns down her building.
(c) She lost her job and can't pay her rent.
(d) Her husband left and she can't pay her rent.
11. Who offers Jules a ride while he is meandering the streets?
(a) Some kids from Kentucky.
(b) Mort and his friends.
(c) Vera and Marcia.
12. Why does Mort want to rid himself of his money?
(a) He wants to give it to charity.
(b) He got it dishonestly.
(c) So he can concentrate on helping people.
(d) He didn't work for it.
13. How does Vera feel about Jules?
(a) She wants a more personal relationship with him.
(b) She hates him, and wants to get away from him.
(c) She is grateful to him for supporting her.
(d) She wants him to get a job and take care of her.
14. Upon whom is Maureen's character based?
(a) A character in another book.
(b) A character in a movie.
(c) One of the author's family members.
(d) One of the author's students.
15. Who is Miss Oates?
(a) Loretta's coworker.
(b) Maureen's professor.
(c) Betty's teacher.
(d) Jules's girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maureen want Jules to leave quickly when he visits?
2. Who is Jim?
3. Who does Maureen want to marry?
4. Where do Jules and Nadine go after becoming reacquainted?
5. How does Nadine feel about Jules when they reunite?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)