|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jules tell Vera about love?
(a) That he thinks it is impossible to live without it.
(b) That he no longer believes it is real.
(c) That he wants it more than anything.
(d) That he once thought it was impossible to live without it.
2. What does Maureen write about in her letters?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) What her night classes have meant to her.
(c) How she has pieced her life back together after her catatonia.
(d) What her future plans are.
3. Jules tries to establish a career for himself in what field?
(a) Automobile sales.
(c) Appliance sales.
(d) Real estate.
4. Which character is central in Chapter 7 of the second book?
5. What does Samson do for Jules?
(a) Helps him get Nadine back.
(b) Buys him a car.
(c) Loans him money.
(d) Gives him a job.
6. How does Jules feel about Nadine when they reunite?
(a) He stays with her because he is lonely.
(b) He is interested in her because she is a challenge.
(c) He doesn't have any deep feelings for her.
(d) He is still in love with her.
7. What does Vera suggest for a radical display?
(a) A large fire.
(b) A hunger strike.
(c) An attack on the police force.
(d) A protest in front of the city hall.
8. How long have Jim and his wife been married?
(a) Six months.
(b) Nine years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Five years.
9. Why did Jim marry, and stay married?
(a) His children.
(b) Financial security.
(c) Ordinary reasons.
10. Where does Loretta see Jules when she gets out of the shelter?
(a) In the grocery store.
(b) At his home.
(c) On the streetcorner.
(d) On television.
11. Who is Jim?
(a) Loretta's new husband.
(b) Maureen's boss.
(c) Jules's best friend.
(d) Another of Maureen's professors.
12. How much time has passed between Maureen's year of catatonia, and the present time in Chapter 8 of the second book?
(a) Many years.
(b) A few months.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) Several years.
13. Why does Mort want to rid himself of his money?
(a) So he can concentrate on helping people.
(b) He didn't work for it.
(c) He wants to give it to charity.
(d) He got it dishonestly.
14. Jules breaks the windows to what type of business?
(a) A barber.
(b) A clothing store.
(c) A bank.
(d) A florist.
15. When Jules visits Maureen in Dearborn, he informs her that he is moving where?
(b) Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jules's girlfriend want him to do?
2. Why does Jules avoid the gazes of the policemen on the streets?
3. What is happening to Maureen during her recovery?
4. What prevents Nadine from committing fully to a relationship with Jules?
5. What happens as Nadine and Jules are walking together and making plans to meet again?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)