|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has been visiting Loretta and her children in Chapter 7 of the second book?
2. How does Jules feel about Nadine when they reunite?
(a) He stays with her because he is lonely.
(b) He is still in love with her.
(c) He is interested in her because she is a challenge.
(d) He doesn't have any deep feelings for her.
3. Jules breaks the windows to what type of business?
(a) A florist.
(b) A clothing store.
(c) A bank.
(d) A barber.
4. What is Jules trying to do in Chapter 7 of the second book?
(a) Get a job in Michigan.
(b) Get from Michigan down to Texas.
(c) Make his way from Texas back to Michigan.
(d) Get a job in Texas.
5. Who is Vera?
(a) Mort's sister.
(b) Loretta's youngest daughter.
(c) Maureen's friend.
(d) One of Mort's proteges.
6. Who does Jules murder?
(a) An African-American.
(b) A protester.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A journalist.
7. How much time has passed between Maureen's year of catatonia, and the present time in Chapter 8 of the second book?
(a) Many years.
(b) A few months.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) Several years.
8. What is Maureen doing at the beginning of the third book?
(a) Having a baby.
(b) Working at the library.
(c) Writing a letter.
(d) Staring into her reflection in a mirror.
9. What happens as Nadine and Jules are walking together and making plans to meet again?
(a) Nadine pulls a gun from her pocket and shoots Jules and herself.
(b) Nadine's husband finds her and kills Jules.
(c) Nadine is killed by a heart attack.
(d) Jules is hit by a drunk driver.
10. How does Vera feel about Jules?
(a) She wants a more personal relationship with him.
(b) She wants him to get a job and take care of her.
(c) She is grateful to him for supporting her.
(d) She hates him, and wants to get away from him.
11. Where does Loretta see Jules when she gets out of the shelter?
(a) In the grocery store.
(b) On television.
(c) On the streetcorner.
(d) At his home.
12. Who is Jim?
(a) Another of Maureen's professors.
(b) Jules's best friend.
(c) Loretta's new husband.
(d) Maureen's boss.
13. Where is Maureen living at the end of the novel?
14. What does Maureen write about in her letters?
(a) How she has pieced her life back together after her catatonia.
(b) What her night classes have meant to her.
(c) What her future plans are.
(d) All answers are correct.
15. What about Jules bothers his girlfriend?
(a) His inability to commit to her.
(b) His violent tendencies.
(c) His past, which he doesn't like to discuss.
(d) His flashbacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Loretta blame for the disconnect between herself and her children?
2. Why does Jules get out of the car that he had ridden in?
3. Who does Jules write to in Chapter 7 of the second book?
4. How is Jules making money in Chapter 6 of the third book?
5. Who is ill in Chapter 10 of the second book?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)