|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has the visitor been doing for Maureen?
(a) Tutoring her in her college work.
(b) Helping to bring her out of her catatonic state.
(c) Trying to help her find a job.
(d) Loaning her money to get her out of her parents' house.
2. Where is Maureen living at the end of the novel?
3. The third book begins in what year?
4. Jules breaks the windows to what type of business?
(a) A clothing store.
(b) A florist.
(c) A bank.
(d) A barber.
5. With whom is Jules living in Chapter 6 of the third book?
(c) Marcia and her son Tommy.
6. What does Loretta steal during the riots?
(a) A gun.
(b) A car.
(c) A television.
7. Which character is central in Chapter 7 of the second book?
8. What does Jim encourage Maureen to do?
(a) Participate in after-class activities.
(b) Leave school and get a job.
(c) Become a model.
(d) Move to Las Vegas.
9. How does Mort feel about America?
(a) He is apathetic because he doesn't believe change is coming.
(b) He is full of hope, despite the riots.
(c) He wants things to change, but doubts they will.
(d) He has lost hope and wants to leave.
10. What is the topic of Jules's interview with the news reporter?
(a) The necessity of the fires.
(b) His mother's homelessness due to the riots.
(c) The righteousness of his party's cause.
(d) His murder of a police officer.
11. Why does Jules avoid the gazes of the policemen on the streets?
(a) He has a warrant for his arrest.
(b) He is selling drugs for a living.
(c) Out of habit.
(d) The person whose car he stole saw and recognized him.
12. Jules tries to establish a career for himself in what field?
(a) Appliance sales.
(c) Real estate.
(d) Automobile sales.
13. Why did Jim marry, and stay married?
(a) Ordinary reasons.
(b) His children.
(c) Financial security.
14. What does Jules's girlfriend want him to do?
(a) Have a child with her.
(b) Move away from the city with her.
(c) Get a job.
(d) Marry her.
15. After her marriage to Jim, why doesn't Maureen want any contact with her family?
(a) She wants the part of her life she associates with them to be over.
(b) She doesn't want Joe to know how poor her family is.
(c) She is afraid of becoming involved with their criminal activities.
(d) Joe doesn't allow her to have any contact with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jules end up doing for money in Chapter 7 of the second book?
2. Where does Loretta see Jules when she gets out of the shelter?
3. Why does Maureen want Jules to leave quickly when he visits?
4. What does Maureen do at the University of Detroit?
5. Who is Vera?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)