|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jules feel about himself after his near-death experience?
(a) He is hopeless, and doesn't feel like himself anymore.
(b) He is happier now than he ever was before.
(c) He feels as if he has a new lease on life because of what happened to him.
(d) He is angry at himself for the situation he is in.
2. Where do Jules and Nadine go after becoming reacquainted?
(a) To a restaurant.
(b) To a hotel.
(c) On vacation.
(d) To Texas.
3. When Jules visits Maureen in Dearborn, he informs her that he is moving where?
(b) Los Angeles.
4. Who is Miss Oates?
(a) Maureen's professor.
(b) Jules's girlfriend.
(c) Loretta's coworker.
(d) Betty's teacher.
5. Where does Loretta see Jules when she gets out of the shelter?
(a) At his home.
(b) In the grocery store.
(c) On television.
(d) On the streetcorner.
6. What does Loretta steal during the riots?
(a) A car.
(b) A gun.
(d) A television.
7. Where do Jules and Loretta go every week, in Chapter 10 of the second book?
(a) The grocery store.
(b) The welfare office.
(c) The library.
(d) The hospital.
8. What is the topic of Jules's interview with the news reporter?
(a) His mother's homelessness due to the riots.
(b) The necessity of the fires.
(c) His murder of a police officer.
(d) The righteousness of his party's cause.
9. Why does Loretta seek shelter at the YMCA?
(a) The friend she was staying with moved to another state.
(b) She lost her job and can't pay her rent.
(c) Her husband left and she can't pay her rent.
(d) A firebomb burns down her building.
10. How do Maureen and Loretta feel about black people?
(a) They feel that they should have equality.
(b) They detest them.
(c) They don't care, because they don't know any black people.
(d) They think they are at the root of all the city's problems.
11. In what way has Maureen changed since the beginning of the novel?
(a) She is cold-hearted and calculating.
(b) She is heavier and less attractive.
(c) She is confused and indecisive.
(d) She is actively pursuing what she wants.
12. How does Mort feel about America?
(a) He is full of hope, despite the riots.
(b) He is apathetic because he doesn't believe change is coming.
(c) He has lost hope and wants to leave.
(d) He wants things to change, but doubts they will.
13. What year is it in Chapter 8 of the second book?
14. What does Loretta blame for the disconnect between herself and her children?
(a) She thinks she had someone else's children.
(b) She blames the Negroes for giving them false ideals.
(c) She blames herself for not spending enough time with them.
(d) She blames her children for not bonding with her more.
15. What does Jules tell Vera about love?
(a) That he once thought it was impossible to live without it.
(b) That he wants it more than anything.
(c) That he thinks it is impossible to live without it.
(d) That he no longer believes it is real.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maureen write about in her letters?
2. What is Jim's family life like?
3. How does Nadine feel about Jules when they reunite?
4. Why does Mort want to rid himself of his money?
5. Upon whom is Maureen's character based?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)