|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is it in Chapter 8 of the second book?
2. Where does Maureen live, at the beginning of the third book?
(a) With Loretta.
(b) On her own.
(c) With Jules.
(d) With her boyfriend.
3. How much time has passed between Maureen's year of catatonia, and the present time in Chapter 8 of the second book?
(a) A few months.
(b) Several weeks.
(c) Many years.
(d) Several years.
4. What does Loretta steal during the riots?
(a) A television.
(b) A gun.
(c) A car.
5. Who is Mort?
(a) The leader of a socialist group.
(b) Maureen's lover.
(c) Loretta's new husband.
(d) Jules's friend.
6. What is causing Jim to reevaluate his situation with his wife and family?
(a) Losing his job.
(b) A near-death experience.
(d) His wife's infidelity.
7. How does Jules feel about Nadine when they reunite?
(a) He stays with her because he is lonely.
(b) He is still in love with her.
(c) He is interested in her because she is a challenge.
(d) He doesn't have any deep feelings for her.
8. How does Jules feel about himself after his near-death experience?
(a) He is happier now than he ever was before.
(b) He is hopeless, and doesn't feel like himself anymore.
(c) He is angry at himself for the situation he is in.
(d) He feels as if he has a new lease on life because of what happened to him.
9. Jules breaks the windows to what type of business?
(a) A florist.
(b) A bank.
(c) A barber.
(d) A clothing store.
10. In what way has Maureen changed since the beginning of the novel?
(a) She is actively pursuing what she wants.
(b) She is confused and indecisive.
(c) She is cold-hearted and calculating.
(d) She is heavier and less attractive.
11. Who gives Jules a rifle on the street?
(a) A man who wants Jules to fight with him.
(b) A policeman who wants all the help he can get.
(c) A woman who is running away from the riots.
(d) A young African-American boy who has been shot.
12. What happens as Nadine and Jules are walking together and making plans to meet again?
(a) Nadine pulls a gun from her pocket and shoots Jules and herself.
(b) Jules is hit by a drunk driver.
(c) Nadine is killed by a heart attack.
(d) Nadine's husband finds her and kills Jules.
13. Who has been visiting Loretta and her children in Chapter 7 of the second book?
14. Who offers Jules a ride while he is meandering the streets?
(a) Some kids from Kentucky.
(c) Mort and his friends.
(d) Vera and Marcia.
15. What does the library mean to Maureen?
(a) It is a place for her to see her friends, away from her mother's watchful eye.
(b) It is the place where she someday hopes to have a career.
(c) It is a haven of peace, and a place to escape.
(d) It symbolizes the education that will get her out of her present situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vera suggest for a radical display?
2. What happens to Jules as a result of his idea to make money?
3. What does Maureen write about in her letters?
4. How long have Jim and his wife been married?
5. Which character is central in Chapter 7 of the second book?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)