|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jules murder?
(a) An African-American.
(b) A journalist.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A protester.
2. Where does Maureen live, at the beginning of the third book?
(a) With Loretta.
(b) With Jules.
(c) With her boyfriend.
(d) On her own.
3. Who does Jules encounter after breaking the windows?
(a) A policeman who had shot at him.
(b) A woman he recognizes from the newspaper.
(c) A news reporter.
(d) The boy who gave him the rifle.
4. How does Loretta initially react when Maureen tells her of her plans to marry Jim?
(a) She is jealous.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is apathetic.
(d) She is pleased.
5. How do Jim and Maureen conduct their relationship?
(a) They try to keep it a secret, but fail.
(d) They date, but do not associate with one another in school.
6. What is Nadine's situation when Jules sees her again?
(a) She is married.
(b) She is dating someone.
(c) She is single.
(d) She is engaged.
7. What happens as Nadine and Jules are walking together and making plans to meet again?
(a) Jules is hit by a drunk driver.
(b) Nadine pulls a gun from her pocket and shoots Jules and herself.
(c) Nadine's husband finds her and kills Jules.
(d) Nadine is killed by a heart attack.
8. What does Maureen want to do to Jim?
(a) Destroy his financial situation.
(b) Ensure that he goes to jail for a crime he committed.
(c) Break up his family and marry him herself.
(d) Ruin his career so that she has less job competition.
9. What is being broadcast on television when Maureen visits Loretta at her apartment?
(a) A sitcom that portrays a poverty-stricken family.
(b) News of the race riots in Detroit.
(c) News of the war that has just begun.
(d) A game show.
10. Jules tries to establish a career for himself in what field?
(b) Automobile sales.
(c) Appliance sales.
(d) Real estate.
11. What is causing Jim to reevaluate his situation with his wife and family?
(b) Losing his job.
(c) A near-death experience.
(d) His wife's infidelity.
12. Why does Loretta seek shelter at the YMCA?
(a) Her husband left and she can't pay her rent.
(b) A firebomb burns down her building.
(c) She lost her job and can't pay her rent.
(d) The friend she was staying with moved to another state.
13. How does Jules feel about himself after his near-death experience?
(a) He is happier now than he ever was before.
(b) He is angry at himself for the situation he is in.
(c) He is hopeless, and doesn't feel like himself anymore.
(d) He feels as if he has a new lease on life because of what happened to him.
14. What does Jim encourage Maureen to do?
(a) Participate in after-class activities.
(b) Become a model.
(c) Move to Las Vegas.
(d) Leave school and get a job.
15. What does the library mean to Maureen?
(a) It symbolizes the education that will get her out of her present situation.
(b) It is a haven of peace, and a place to escape.
(c) It is a place for her to see her friends, away from her mother's watchful eye.
(d) It is the place where she someday hopes to have a career.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maureen write her letters?
2. How does Loretta's attitude change when she finds out that Jim is married?
3. Who does Jules write to in Chapter 7 of the second book?
4. Jules breaks the windows to what type of business?
5. What does Maureen do at the University of Detroit?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)