|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Vera?
(a) Maureen's friend.
(b) Loretta's youngest daughter.
(c) Mort's sister.
(d) One of Mort's proteges.
2. Who is Miss Oates?
(a) Jules's girlfriend.
(b) Betty's teacher.
(c) Loretta's coworker.
(d) Maureen's professor.
3. What is Maureen doing at the beginning of the third book?
(a) Staring into her reflection in a mirror.
(b) Having a baby.
(c) Writing a letter.
(d) Working at the library.
4. What is Jim's family life like?
(a) He is not married, but has children.
(b) He is single and has no children.
(c) He is married, but has no children.
(d) He is married, and has children.
5. After her marriage to Jim, why doesn't Maureen want any contact with her family?
(a) She doesn't want Joe to know how poor her family is.
(b) She is afraid of becoming involved with their criminal activities.
(c) She wants the part of her life she associates with them to be over.
(d) Joe doesn't allow her to have any contact with them.
6. What has the visitor been doing for Maureen?
(a) Loaning her money to get her out of her parents' house.
(b) Trying to help her find a job.
(c) Helping to bring her out of her catatonic state.
(d) Tutoring her in her college work.
7. What does Jules end up doing for money in Chapter 7 of the second book?
(a) Selling his blood.
(b) Selling his coin collection.
(c) Participating in a medical experiment.
(d) Prostituting himself.
8. How much time has passed between Maureen's year of catatonia, and the present time in Chapter 8 of the second book?
(a) Several years.
(b) A few months.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) Many years.
9. Who offers Jules a ride while he is meandering the streets?
(a) Mort and his friends.
(b) Vera and Marcia.
(c) Some kids from Kentucky.
10. Who does Jules write to in Chapter 7 of the second book?
11. What does Vera suggest for a radical display?
(a) An attack on the police force.
(b) A large fire.
(c) A protest in front of the city hall.
(d) A hunger strike.
12. When Maureen's recovery begins, how long has she been in her catatonic state?
(a) A year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Eighteen months.
13. Why does Maureen want Jules to leave quickly when he visits?
(a) She doesn't want the police to come to her house to find Jules.
(b) She doesn't want Joe to come home and find Jules there.
(c) She is afraid of what her neighbors will think of Jules.
(d) She is afraid of Jules because she knows he is a murderer.
14. What does Loretta steal during the riots?
(a) A car.
(c) A gun.
(d) A television.
15. Where does Loretta see Jules when she gets out of the shelter?
(a) On television.
(b) On the streetcorner.
(c) At his home.
(d) In the grocery store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening to Maureen during her recovery?
2. Loretta is determined to adopt an air of possessing what quality while at the shelter?
3. Where does Maureen write her letters?
4. Where is Maureen living at the end of the novel?
5. What does Jules encourage Maureen to do when he visits her in Dearborn?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)