|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Loretta is determined to adopt an air of possessing what quality while at the shelter?
2. How do Jim and Maureen conduct their relationship?
(b) They date, but do not associate with one another in school.
(c) They try to keep it a secret, but fail.
3. To what does Jules compare himself in Chapter 7 of the third book?
(a) A radio that can only play static.
(b) A weed growing through the cracks in the sidewalk.
(c) A toy that has run out of batteries.
(d) A flower that is past its prime.
4. What year is it in Chapter 8 of the second book?
5. What has the visitor been doing for Maureen?
(a) Loaning her money to get her out of her parents' house.
(b) Trying to help her find a job.
(c) Helping to bring her out of her catatonic state.
(d) Tutoring her in her college work.
6. Who is Samson Wendall, in relation to Jules?
(a) Jules's grandfather.
(b) Jules's half-brother.
(c) Jules's nephew.
(d) Jules's uncle.
7. How does Nadine feel about Jules when they reunite?
(a) She is simply using him.
(b) She loves him, but is confused.
(c) She wants him because she is bored and lonely.
(d) She loves him and wants to leave her husband to be with him.
8. Who does Maureen want to marry?
9. How does Jules feel about Nadine when they reunite?
(a) He is interested in her because she is a challenge.
(b) He is still in love with her.
(c) He doesn't have any deep feelings for her.
(d) He stays with her because he is lonely.
10. To whom is Maureen writing in Chapter 8 of the second book?
(a) Miss Oates.
(c) Mrs. Wendall.
11. Who has been visiting Loretta and her children in Chapter 7 of the second book?
12. Why did Jim marry, and stay married?
(a) His children.
(c) Ordinary reasons.
(d) Financial security.
13. Which character is central in Chapter 7 of the second book?
14. What happens as Nadine and Jules are walking together and making plans to meet again?
(a) Nadine is killed by a heart attack.
(b) Nadine pulls a gun from her pocket and shoots Jules and herself.
(c) Nadine's husband finds her and kills Jules.
(d) Jules is hit by a drunk driver.
15. How does Mort feel about America?
(a) He wants things to change, but doubts they will.
(b) He is full of hope, despite the riots.
(c) He has lost hope and wants to leave.
(d) He is apathetic because he doesn't believe change is coming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is being broadcast on television when Maureen visits Loretta at her apartment?
2. What does the library mean to Maureen?
3. At the novel's end, why is Jules moving?
4. What is the topic of Jules's interview with the news reporter?
5. Who is Jim?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)