|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Maureen doing at the beginning of the third book?
(a) Working at the library.
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Staring into her reflection in a mirror.
(d) Having a baby.
2. The third book begins in what year?
3. Where do Jules and Loretta go every week, in Chapter 10 of the second book?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The grocery store.
(c) The welfare office.
(d) The library.
4. Who is Samson Wendall, in relation to Jules?
(a) Jules's nephew.
(b) Jules's uncle.
(c) Jules's half-brother.
(d) Jules's grandfather.
5. What is Nadine's situation when Jules sees her again?
(a) She is dating someone.
(b) She is engaged.
(c) She is single.
(d) She is married.
6. What about Jules bothers his girlfriend?
(a) His violent tendencies.
(b) His flashbacks.
(c) His past, which he doesn't like to discuss.
(d) His inability to commit to her.
7. Where does Loretta see Jules when she gets out of the shelter?
(a) On the streetcorner.
(b) In the grocery store.
(c) At his home.
(d) On television.
8. Which character is central in Chapter 7 of the second book?
9. What does Maureen want to do to Jim?
(a) Ruin his career so that she has less job competition.
(b) Break up his family and marry him herself.
(c) Ensure that he goes to jail for a crime he committed.
(d) Destroy his financial situation.
10. How long have Jim and his wife been married?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Nine years.
(d) Five years.
11. To whom is Maureen writing in Chapter 8 of the second book?
(a) Mrs. Wendall.
(c) Miss Oates.
12. Why does Maureen want Jules to leave quickly when he visits?
(a) She is afraid of Jules because she knows he is a murderer.
(b) She doesn't want Joe to come home and find Jules there.
(c) She doesn't want the police to come to her house to find Jules.
(d) She is afraid of what her neighbors will think of Jules.
13. Who is Mort?
(a) Loretta's new husband.
(b) Jules's friend.
(c) The leader of a socialist group.
(d) Maureen's lover.
14. How does Loretta's attitude change when she finds out that Jim is married?
(a) She calls Maureen a whore, and kicks her out.
(b) She admires Maureen for her courage.
(c) She pretends to be pleased, but is secretly disappointed in Maureen.
(d) She disapproves, but doesn't want to get involved.
15. How does Vera feel about Jules?
(a) She is grateful to him for supporting her.
(b) She wants him to get a job and take care of her.
(c) She hates him, and wants to get away from him.
(d) She wants a more personal relationship with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jules think he may have found a promising career?
2. What is being broadcast on television when Maureen visits Loretta at her apartment?
3. When Maureen's recovery begins, how long has she been in her catatonic state?
4. In what way has Maureen changed since the beginning of the novel?
5. What does Maureen write about in her letters?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)