Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Howard do for Loretta?
(a) He gives her medication to sell.
(b) He helps her cover up Bernie's murder.
(c) He gives her a job at his restaurant.
(d) He loans her money to get out of town.
2. Why is Jules almost killed in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
(a) He ponders robbing a store and is shot at by a police officer.
(b) He gets very ill from a drug overdose.
(c) He is mugged walking home from work.
(d) His father beats him severely.
3. What does Jules want to do with his own children?
(a) Home-school them.
(b) Ensure that they remember him when he is gone.
(c) Give them opportunities that he never had.
(d) Live somewhere far away from Detroit.
4. What pretense does Jules use to visit Nadine?
(a) He delivers some of her uncle's possessions to her.
(b) He visits her sister.
(c) He needs to ask her questions about her uncle's estate.
(d) He delivers flowers to her.
5. What kind of a child is Jules?
(a) Quiet and introspective.
(b) Defiant and disrespectful.
(c) Boisterous and obnoxious.
(d) Delightful and adventurous.
6. Why does Maureen enjoy the library so much?
(a) She knows an education is the key to rising out of poverty.
(b) She hopes to meet a man there who can take her away from her family.
(c) There is a librarian there that she has a crush on.
(d) She associates the stillness with a life she hopes to someday have away from her family.
7. How does Loretta's family feel about Mrs. Wendall's placement in a nursing home?
(a) They are angry at her because the nursing home is expensive.
(b) They feel guilty for being unable to care for her.
(c) It relieves some of their stress.
(d) They are sorry to see her go.
8. Why does Faye take Jules home when she meets him?
(a) She is attracted to him.
(b) She wants to rob him.
(c) He is lightheaded from lack of food and sleep.
(d) He is shivering in the rain.
9. What are Maureen's responsibilities on a daily basis?
(a) Only her schoolwork.
(b) Cooking, housework, and her own schoolwork.
(c) Going to work, because she does not attend school.
(d) Going to work and completing her schoolwork.
10. Why is Jules so anxious at the bank when cashing Bernard's checks?
(a) Jules has forged the check amounts.
(b) He doesn't believe that the checks are real.
(c) Jules is waiting for his accomplice to rob the bank.
(d) Jules is afraid he will be robbed.
11. Why is Bernard killed?
(a) His involvement in underworld crime.
(b) The jealous rage of Faye's husband.
(c) A mugging gone wrong.
(d) The jealousy of a business rival.
12. When Pat comes home after witnessing Maureen's actions, what does he do?
(a) He calls the police.
(b) He talks to Loretta about Maureen's actions.
(c) He packs Maureen's things and throws them onto the lawn.
(d) He beats Maureen severely.
13. What does Loretta force Maureen to do for Pat?
(a) Shave his chest.
(b) Wash his laundry.
(c) Perform sexual favors for him.
(d) Give him backrubs.
14. What does Jules focus on after his father's death?
(a) Becoming the man of the family.
(b) Trying to set his mother up with a good man.
(c) Making money to escape his life of poverty.
(d) Getting good grades, to be able to attend college.
15. How does Loretta feel about Mrs. Wendall?
(a) She hates her meddling, overbearing attitude.
(b) She is glad to have her as company.
(c) She is jealous of Mrs. Wendall's relationship with Howard.
(d) She is grateful to have her around to help with the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Loretta feed Maureen sweets every day?
2. What happens when Jules visits Nadine?
3. Where is Mrs. Wendall living?
4. What does Nadine know about why Bernard was killed?
5. How old is Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)