|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Pat Furlong?
(a) Howard's former employer.
(b) A police officer investigating Howard's death.
(c) A reverend at the local church.
(d) Loretta's new husband.
2. Why is Bernard killed?
(a) A mugging gone wrong.
(b) The jealous rage of Faye's husband.
(c) The jealousy of a business rival.
(d) His involvement in underworld crime.
3. How is Howard killed?
(a) A steel beam crushes him in an accident at work.
(b) He has a heart attack from drinking too much.
(c) He is beaten to death in a bar fight.
(d) He is hit by a bus while walking home drunk.
4. Who is Brock, in relation to Loretta?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her cousin.
5. What year is it at the beginning of the second book, chapter 4?
6. Who is Betty?
(a) Loretta's friend.
(b) Loretta's younger daughter.
(c) Maureen's cousin.
(d) Howard's sister.
7. What happens to Maureen's notebook?
(a) Her mother throws it away.
(b) She loses it.
(c) It is stolen.
(d) Her little sister destroys it.
8. What type of school do Loretta's children attend?
(a) A Hebrew school.
(b) A Catholic school.
(c) An inner-city public school.
(d) Loretta home-schools them.
9. What happens to Bernie?
(a) He contracts a terminal illness.
(b) His sister is kidnapped.
(c) He is hit by a car and killed.
(d) He is shot and killed.
10. How does Mrs. Wendall react to the barn fire?
(a) She is pleased to get the insurance money.
(b) She faints when she sees it.
(c) She whips the perpetrator with a stick.
(d) She assumes that it was a lightning strike.
11. Who takes Mrs. Wendall to all of her appointments at the clinic?
12. Why does Bernard give Jules three hundred dollars?
(a) So Jules can pay off a debt.
(b) For a new car.
(c) For a haircut, a suit, and groceries for his mother.
(d) So Jules can go to Texas.
13. Why does Jules steal a car?
(a) To drive himself and Nadine to Canada.
(b) To drive himself and Nadine to Texas or Mexico.
(c) To drive himself to Seattle.
(d) To drive himself to California.
14. Why is Howard fired from his job?
(a) Chronic tardiness.
(b) Corrupt behavior.
(c) The company was sold.
(d) Poor attendance.
15. When Pat comes home after witnessing Maureen's actions, what does he do?
(a) He calls the police.
(b) He beats Maureen severely.
(c) He talks to Loretta about Maureen's actions.
(d) He packs Maureen's things and throws them onto the lawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who burns down the barn?
2. What is Maureen's method of escape?
3. Why is Jules so anxious at the bank when cashing Bernard's checks?
4. How do the children react to Howard's death?
5. Who is Bernie Malin?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)