|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of child is Betty?
(a) Helpful and cooperative around the house.
(b) Independent and responsible.
(c) Cheerful and loving.
(d) A child of the streets at an early age.
2. Where does Loretta rent a room?
(a) Next to a police station.
(b) Over a funeral parlor.
(c) Over a flower shop.
(d) Behind a general store.
3. How does Maureen feel about her parents?
(a) She admires them for their hard work.
(b) She loves them, and pities them.
(c) She hates them for keeping the family mired in poverty.
(d) She loves them, and is happy at home.
4. Why does Loretta feed Maureen sweets every day?
(a) Loretta feels that Maureen is too thin.
(b) Loretta thinks that if Maureen is eating, she is fine.
(c) Loretta wants to make Maureen happy with her favorite foods.
(d) Loretta wants to keep Maureen too weak to run away.
5. Who is Rita?
(a) Loretta's friend.
(b) Bernie's niece.
(c) Howard's sister.
(d) Loretta's daughter.
6. What does Jules want to do with his own children?
(a) Live somewhere far away from Detroit.
(b) Ensure that they remember him when he is gone.
(c) Give them opportunities that he never had.
(d) Home-school them.
7. Who watches Loretta's children while Loretta goes out to make money?
(a) Brock watches them.
(b) Jules cares for himself and the two girls.
(c) Loretta brings them to work with her.
(d) Mrs. Wendall watches them.
8. What does Nadine know about why Bernard was killed?
(a) She knows who killed him, and why.
(c) She knows it is because he got involved with the wrong people.
(d) She thinks it is because he didn't pay his bookie.
9. In what condition is Maureen at the beginning of the second book?
(a) She is missing, because she ran away from home.
(b) She is catatonic, and has been since her beating.
(c) She is driving herself to the point of exhaustion with work and school.
(d) She is pregnant, and has lost her job.
10. Where does Loretta go with her children while Howard is gone?
(a) Overseas to be with Howard.
(b) Back to Detroit.
(c) To Texas, to start a new life.
(d) Nowhere; she stays with Mrs. Wendall.
11. Where does Mrs. Wendall live after Howard's death?
(a) She goes to live with one of her other children.
(b) She goes to live with a relative in the country.
(c) She goes to a funeral home.
(d) She continues to live with Loretta and her new husband.
12. Why is Jules almost killed in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
(a) He is mugged walking home from work.
(b) He ponders robbing a store and is shot at by a police officer.
(c) He gets very ill from a drug overdose.
(d) His father beats him severely.
13. Why is Howard fired from his job?
(a) Chronic tardiness.
(b) The company was sold.
(c) Poor attendance.
(d) Corrupt behavior.
14. What does Jules dream of when looking at maps and books?
(a) Joining the circus.
(b) Becoming a pirate.
(c) Staying in Detroit to help his mother.
(d) Getting away from Detroit one day.
15. What happens to Jules at school?
(a) He is suspended for starting a fight.
(b) He falls in love with a nun.
(c) He is beaten up for trying to steal someone's lunch.
(d) He is paddled by a teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pat in jail?
2. What does Loretta discover when she visits her father after moving away?
3. What does Nadine do to help Jules in Chapter 6 of the second book?
4. In what condition does Jules find Bernard?
5. How might Nadine's emotions be described?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)