|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jules do when he finds Bernard?
(a) He calls the police and stays with Bernard until they come.
(b) Returns the money Bernard had given him to Bernard's pocket and leaves.
(c) He brings Bernard to his mother's house to stay with her.
(d) He calls Bernard's lawyer to come help him.
2. Why does Faye take Jules home when she meets him?
(a) He is shivering in the rain.
(b) He is lightheaded from lack of food and sleep.
(c) She is attracted to him.
(d) She wants to rob him.
3. How old is Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
4. Who is Rita?
(a) Loretta's daughter.
(b) Howard's sister.
(c) Loretta's friend.
(d) Bernie's niece.
5. What happens to Jules while he and Nadine are on the road?
(a) He is hit by a car.
(b) He is shot and killed.
(c) He receives word that his mother is dead.
(d) He gets dysentery.
6. Who is Pat Furlong?
(a) Howard's former employer.
(b) A reverend at the local church.
(c) Loretta's new husband.
(d) A police officer investigating Howard's death.
7. Why does Jules steal a car?
(a) To drive himself to Seattle.
(b) To drive himself to California.
(c) To drive himself and Nadine to Texas or Mexico.
(d) To drive himself and Nadine to Canada.
8. What relationship exists between Nadine and Bernard?
(a) Daughter and father.
(b) Sister and brother.
(c) Mother and son.
(d) Niece and uncle.
9. Why doesn't Maureen have a job?
(a) She doesn't want to detract from her study time.
(b) There are no jobs available in her neighborhood.
(c) She has no marketable skills.
(d) Loretta won't allow her to get one.
10. Where is Mrs. Wendall living?
(a) In a shelter.
(b) With another relative.
(c) In a nursing home.
(d) With Loretta and Howard.
11. Why do Jules, Maureen, and Betty fail to bond with their parents?
(a) Loretta blames her children for her financial problems.
(b) Loretta's children blame her for the abuse they suffered at the hands of Mrs. Wendall.
(c) Their pervasive financial problems don't leave much time for bonding.
(d) Loretta never wanted to have children.
12. How long is Pat in jail?
(a) Four months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) A year.
13. Where are Jules and Nadine at the end of Chapter 6 of the second book?
(a) Nadine and Jules are both back in Michigan.
(b) Nadine is in Texas; Jules is making his way back to Detroit.
(c) Jules is in Texas; Nadine is making her way back to Detroit.
(d) Nadine and Jules are in Texas together.
14. Why does Bernard give Jules three hundred dollars?
(a) So Jules can go to Texas.
(b) For a new car.
(c) For a haircut, a suit, and groceries for his mother.
(d) So Jules can pay off a debt.
15. What does Loretta discover when she visits her father after moving away?
(a) That he is missing.
(b) That he has been killed.
(c) That he has gotten remarried.
(d) That he has been institutionalized.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first major character to be introduced?
2. How might Nadine's emotions be described?
3. What is Maureen's method of escape?
4. In what condition is Maureen at the beginning of the second book?
5. Why does Maureen enjoy the library so much?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)