|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Pat in jail?
(a) For stealing a car.
(b) For stealing money from work.
(c) For beating Maureen so severely.
(d) For a bar fight.
2. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the second book?
(a) She is not pregnant and still working.
(b) She is pregnant, but still working.
(c) She is not pregnant, but unemployed.
(d) She is pregnant and unemployed.
3. Who cooks and waits up for Pat every night?
(c) No one.
4. What does Loretta force Maureen to do for Pat?
(a) Give him backrubs.
(b) Shave his chest.
(c) Perform sexual favors for him.
(d) Wash his laundry.
5. Why does Jules steal a car?
(a) To drive himself to California.
(b) To drive himself and Nadine to Texas or Mexico.
(c) To drive himself and Nadine to Canada.
(d) To drive himself to Seattle.
6. How does Maureen feel about the loss of her notebook?
(a) She is proud of herself for keeping duplicates of all of her notes.
(b) She is furious at her sister's carelessness.
(c) She feels hopeless and doesn't know how to retrieve it.
(d) She is devastated by her own irresponsibility.
7. Why does Faye take Jules home when she meets him?
(a) He is lightheaded from lack of food and sleep.
(b) She wants to rob him.
(c) He is shivering in the rain.
(d) She is attracted to him.
8. Who is Brock, in relation to Loretta?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her father.
9. How do the children react to Howard's death?
(a) They show little emotion.
(b) Jules is devastated, but the girls show little emotion.
(c) Betty is the only one who is upset about it.
(d) They are all devastated.
10. How long is Pat in jail?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) Four months.
11. Why doesn't Maureen have a job?
(a) Loretta won't allow her to get one.
(b) She doesn't want to detract from her study time.
(c) There are no jobs available in her neighborhood.
(d) She has no marketable skills.
12. Why is Loretta arrested?
(a) Distributing narcotics.
(b) Carrying a concealed weapon.
(c) Leaving her children unattended.
13. Where does Loretta rent a room?
(a) Behind a general store.
(b) Over a funeral parlor.
(c) Over a flower shop.
(d) Next to a police station.
14. What does Jules want to do with his own children?
(a) Give them opportunities that he never had.
(b) Home-school them.
(c) Ensure that they remember him when he is gone.
(d) Live somewhere far away from Detroit.
15. In what condition is Pat when he comes home at night?
(a) He comes home exhausted and cranky from working late.
(b) He comes home in a good mood many nights.
(c) He comes home late and drunk.
(d) He usually doesn't come home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jules while he and Nadine are on the road?
2. What happens to Jules at school?
3. How does Maureen decide to make money?
4. Who watches Loretta's children while Loretta goes out to make money?
5. In what condition is Maureen at the beginning of the second book?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)