|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the children react to Howard's death?
(a) Betty is the only one who is upset about it.
(b) Jules is devastated, but the girls show little emotion.
(c) They show little emotion.
(d) They are all devastated.
2. What happens to Jules while he and Nadine are on the road?
(a) He gets dysentery.
(b) He receives word that his mother is dead.
(c) He is shot and killed.
(d) He is hit by a car.
3. What does Jules do when he finds Bernard?
(a) He brings Bernard to his mother's house to stay with her.
(b) Returns the money Bernard had given him to Bernard's pocket and leaves.
(c) He calls the police and stays with Bernard until they come.
(d) He calls Bernard's lawyer to come help him.
4. Why do Jules, Maureen, and Betty fail to bond with their parents?
(a) Loretta blames her children for her financial problems.
(b) Loretta's children blame her for the abuse they suffered at the hands of Mrs. Wendall.
(c) Loretta never wanted to have children.
(d) Their pervasive financial problems don't leave much time for bonding.
5. What does Loretta force Maureen to do for Pat?
(a) Give him backrubs.
(b) Shave his chest.
(c) Wash his laundry.
(d) Perform sexual favors for him.
6. In what city does most of the novel take place?
7. Why does Maureen need money immediately?
(a) To pay Pat's bookie.
(b) To make a deposit for her college application.
(c) To buy a gun.
(d) To get out of her parents' house.
8. Why doesn't Maureen have a job?
(a) Loretta won't allow her to get one.
(b) She doesn't want to detract from her study time.
(c) She has no marketable skills.
(d) There are no jobs available in her neighborhood.
9. Who is Bernie Malin?
(a) Loretta's cousin.
(b) One of Loretta's father's friends.
(c) A boy Loretta has been seeing.
(d) One of Brock's friends.
10. To whom does Loretta go for help while Howard is gone?
(d) Her father.
11. In what condition does Jules find Bernard?
(a) Drunk and passed out in an alley.
(b) Lying face-up, with his throat slashed.
(c) Being held hostage.
(d) Penniless and suicidal.
12. What is Maureen's method of escape?
(a) Going to the movies.
(b) Running away repeatedly.
(c) Going to the library.
(d) Drugs and alcohol.
13. What does Pat see Maureen doing, in the last chapter of the first book?
(a) He sees her in a car with a man, her customer.
(b) He sees her sneaking out of the house after dark.
(c) He sees her putting her money away.
(d) He sees her looking through his wallet.
14. What happens to Bernie?
(a) His sister is kidnapped.
(b) He contracts a terminal illness.
(c) He is shot and killed.
(d) He is hit by a car and killed.
15. What are the rumors circulating about Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is an alcoholic.
(c) Her father has been arrested.
(d) She associates herself with the wrong kind of boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Loretta feel about Howard's absence?
2. What is Loretta forced to do as payment for Howard's help?
3. How does the barn fire start?
4. How does Maureen feel about the loss of her notebook?
5. What type of school do Loretta's children attend?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)