|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jules do when he finds Bernard?
(a) Returns the money Bernard had given him to Bernard's pocket and leaves.
(b) He calls Bernard's lawyer to come help him.
(c) He brings Bernard to his mother's house to stay with her.
(d) He calls the police and stays with Bernard until they come.
2. Who cooks and waits up for Pat every night?
(d) No one.
3. How old is Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
4. Why is the person Loretta goes to unable to help her?
(a) Because they are in the hospital.
(b) Because her husband doesn't welcome strangers.
(c) Because they are already living in someone else's home.
(d) Because they have no place to live themselves.
5. How long is Pat in jail?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) Four months.
6. Who is Betty?
(a) Loretta's younger daughter.
(b) Howard's sister.
(c) Loretta's friend.
(d) Maureen's cousin.
7. Who is Howard Wendall?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A chef.
8. What happens to Jules at school?
(a) He is paddled by a teacher.
(b) He is suspended for starting a fight.
(c) He falls in love with a nun.
(d) He is beaten up for trying to steal someone's lunch.
9. Why does Maureen enjoy the library so much?
(a) She hopes to meet a man there who can take her away from her family.
(b) There is a librarian there that she has a crush on.
(c) She knows an education is the key to rising out of poverty.
(d) She associates the stillness with a life she hopes to someday have away from her family.
10. Where does Loretta rent a room?
(a) Next to a police station.
(b) Over a funeral parlor.
(c) Over a flower shop.
(d) Behind a general store.
11. Who is Rita?
(a) Loretta's friend.
(b) Bernie's niece.
(c) Loretta's daughter.
(d) Howard's sister.
12. How does Loretta make money to support herself and her children?
(a) She waits tables at a local diner.
(b) She sings at a local nightclub.
(c) She sells drugs.
(d) She becomes a prostitute.
13. Who is Jules?
(a) Howard's brother.
(b) Loretta's oldest son.
(c) Brock's brother.
(d) Loretta's nephew.
14. What does Pat see Maureen doing, in the last chapter of the first book?
(a) He sees her in a car with a man, her customer.
(b) He sees her looking through his wallet.
(c) He sees her sneaking out of the house after dark.
(d) He sees her putting her money away.
15. Who is Bernard Geffen?
(a) The doctor who cares for Maureen.
(b) Faye's father.
(c) A rich man who hires Jules as his personal assistant.
(d) Pat's lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jules focus on after his father's death?
2. How is Howard killed?
3. What does Mrs. Wendall say about Jules's future?
4. To whom does Loretta go for help while Howard is gone?
5. What happens to Jules on one of the nights when he runs away?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)