|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Howard do for Loretta?
(a) He gives her medication to sell.
(b) He loans her money to get out of town.
(c) He helps her cover up Bernie's murder.
(d) He gives her a job at his restaurant.
2. Why is Pat in jail?
(a) For a bar fight.
(b) For stealing a car.
(c) For beating Maureen so severely.
(d) For stealing money from work.
3. What sort of relationship does Betty have with her brother and sister?
(a) Betty is close to Maureen, but not to Jules.
(b) Betty is close to Jules, but not to Maureen.
(c) All three of them are very close.
(d) Betty isn't close to either of her siblings.
4. Where does Maureen hide the money she makes?
(a) In books in her room.
(b) Under her mattress.
(c) In her desk drawer.
(d) In her jewelry box.
5. What happens to Jules on one of the nights when he runs away?
(a) He gets lost in a burning building.
(b) He is kidnapped.
(c) He is hit by a car.
(d) He witnesses the aftermath of a plane crash.
6. How might Nadine's emotions be described?
(a) Somewhat unstable.
(b) Very stable.
(c) Very unstable.
(d) Somewhat stable.
7. What does Jules focus on after his father's death?
(a) Making money to escape his life of poverty.
(b) Trying to set his mother up with a good man.
(c) Getting good grades, to be able to attend college.
(d) Becoming the man of the family.
8. What does Loretta discover when she visits her father after moving away?
(a) That he has gotten remarried.
(b) That he has been killed.
(c) That he is missing.
(d) That he has been institutionalized.
9. Why is Loretta arrested?
(a) Leaving her children unattended.
(c) Distributing narcotics.
(d) Carrying a concealed weapon.
10. Who cooks and waits up for Pat every night?
(b) No one.
11. What is Maureen's method of escape?
(a) Going to the library.
(b) Drugs and alcohol.
(c) Running away repeatedly.
(d) Going to the movies.
12. How is Howard killed?
(a) He has a heart attack from drinking too much.
(b) A steel beam crushes him in an accident at work.
(c) He is hit by a bus while walking home drunk.
(d) He is beaten to death in a bar fight.
13. Why is Howard fired from his job?
(a) Chronic tardiness.
(b) The company was sold.
(c) Poor attendance.
(d) Corrupt behavior.
14. Why is Jules almost killed in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
(a) His father beats him severely.
(b) He is mugged walking home from work.
(c) He ponders robbing a store and is shot at by a police officer.
(d) He gets very ill from a drug overdose.
15. How long is Pat in jail?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) Four months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Loretta forced to do as payment for Howard's help?
2. Why does Faye take Jules home when she meets him?
3. How old is Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
4. Who is Rita?
5. Who is Howard Wendall?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)