|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of a child is Jules?
(a) Quiet and introspective.
(b) Delightful and adventurous.
(c) Boisterous and obnoxious.
(d) Defiant and disrespectful.
2. What happens to Maureen's notebook?
(a) It is stolen.
(b) She loses it.
(c) Her mother throws it away.
(d) Her little sister destroys it.
3. Who cooks and waits up for Pat every night?
(a) No one.
4. Where does Loretta go with her children while Howard is gone?
(a) Nowhere; she stays with Mrs. Wendall.
(b) To Texas, to start a new life.
(c) Back to Detroit.
(d) Overseas to be with Howard.
5. What is Maureen's method of escape?
(a) Drugs and alcohol.
(b) Running away repeatedly.
(c) Going to the library.
(d) Going to the movies.
6. What does Loretta do every night while waiting for Pat to come home?
(b) Goes to bed.
(c) Darns socks.
(d) Does dishes.
7. Where does Maureen hide the money she makes?
(a) Under her mattress.
(b) In her desk drawer.
(c) In her jewelry box.
(d) In books in her room.
8. What year is it in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
9. What year is it at the beginning of the second book, chapter 4?
10. Who is Maureen?
(a) Mrs. Wendall's niece.
(b) Brock's aunt.
(c) Loretta's older daughter.
(d) Howard's sister.
11. What does Loretta do after Mrs. Wendall is gone?
(a) Rents Mrs. Wendall's room to a boarder.
(b) Quits her job to care for her children.
(c) Moves the family into a smaller apartment.
(d) Gets a second job, to pay for the nursing home care.
12. In what condition is Pat when he comes home at night?
(a) He usually doesn't come home.
(b) He comes home exhausted and cranky from working late.
(c) He comes home in a good mood many nights.
(d) He comes home late and drunk.
13. Where does Mrs. Wendall live after Howard's death?
(a) She goes to live with one of her other children.
(b) She continues to live with Loretta and her new husband.
(c) She goes to live with a relative in the country.
(d) She goes to a funeral home.
14. What happens to Bernie?
(a) He is shot and killed.
(b) He is hit by a car and killed.
(c) He contracts a terminal illness.
(d) His sister is kidnapped.
15. How does Maureen feel about the loss of her notebook?
(a) She is proud of herself for keeping duplicates of all of her notes.
(b) She feels hopeless and doesn't know how to retrieve it.
(c) She is devastated by her own irresponsibility.
(d) She is furious at her sister's carelessness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Wendall react to the barn fire?
2. Who is Bernard Geffen?
3. Why does Faye take Jules home when she meets him?
4. What happens to Jules on one of the nights when he runs away?
5. Why is Loretta arrested?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)