|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maureen enjoy the library so much?
(a) She associates the stillness with a life she hopes to someday have away from her family.
(b) She knows an education is the key to rising out of poverty.
(c) There is a librarian there that she has a crush on.
(d) She hopes to meet a man there who can take her away from her family.
2. How is Howard killed?
(a) He is beaten to death in a bar fight.
(b) He has a heart attack from drinking too much.
(c) A steel beam crushes him in an accident at work.
(d) He is hit by a bus while walking home drunk.
3. What does Howard do for Loretta?
(a) He gives her medication to sell.
(b) He helps her cover up Bernie's murder.
(c) He loans her money to get out of town.
(d) He gives her a job at his restaurant.
4. How long is Pat in jail?
(a) Four months.
(b) A year.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Six months.
5. Why is Jules so anxious at the bank when cashing Bernard's checks?
(a) He doesn't believe that the checks are real.
(b) Jules has forged the check amounts.
(c) Jules is waiting for his accomplice to rob the bank.
(d) Jules is afraid he will be robbed.
6. Why doesn't Maureen have a job?
(a) Loretta won't allow her to get one.
(b) She doesn't want to detract from her study time.
(c) There are no jobs available in her neighborhood.
(d) She has no marketable skills.
7. What does Jules dream of when looking at maps and books?
(a) Staying in Detroit to help his mother.
(b) Joining the circus.
(c) Becoming a pirate.
(d) Getting away from Detroit one day.
8. What sort of relationship does Betty have with her brother and sister?
(a) Betty is close to Jules, but not to Maureen.
(b) Betty isn't close to either of her siblings.
(c) All three of them are very close.
(d) Betty is close to Maureen, but not to Jules.
9. Why is Loretta arrested?
(b) Carrying a concealed weapon.
(c) Distributing narcotics.
(d) Leaving her children unattended.
10. During what years does the novel take place?
(a) 1917 to 1937.
(b) 1957 to 1977.
(c) 1967 to 1987.
(d) 1937 to 1967.
11. What does Loretta do after Mrs. Wendall is gone?
(a) Quits her job to care for her children.
(b) Moves the family into a smaller apartment.
(c) Rents Mrs. Wendall's room to a boarder.
(d) Gets a second job, to pay for the nursing home care.
12. What does Pat see Maureen doing, in the last chapter of the first book?
(a) He sees her in a car with a man, her customer.
(b) He sees her putting her money away.
(c) He sees her looking through his wallet.
(d) He sees her sneaking out of the house after dark.
13. Who is Maureen?
(a) Mrs. Wendall's niece.
(b) Brock's aunt.
(c) Loretta's older daughter.
(d) Howard's sister.
14. Why does Maureen need money immediately?
(a) To make a deposit for her college application.
(b) To pay Pat's bookie.
(c) To get out of her parents' house.
(d) To buy a gun.
15. How old is Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. How might Nadine's emotions be described?
2. Why is Mrs. Wendall placed in a nursing home?
3. Where does Mrs. Wendall live after Howard's death?
4. What happens to Jules on one of the nights when he runs away?
5. Why is Jules almost killed in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)