|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is it at the beginning of the second book, chapter 4?
2. Why is Mrs. Wendall placed in a nursing home?
(a) Her deteriorating health.
(b) Mrs. Wendall no longer wants to live with Loretta and her children.
(c) The family can't afford to feed her.
(d) The family is forced to move into a smaller home.
3. During what years does the novel take place?
(a) 1937 to 1967.
(b) 1967 to 1987.
(c) 1917 to 1937.
(d) 1957 to 1977.
4. What position is Maureen elected to in school?
(a) Class president.
(b) Leader of the student senate.
(c) Secretary of her homeroom.
(d) Officer of the debate team.
5. How do the children react to Howard's death?
(a) They show little emotion.
(b) Jules is devastated, but the girls show little emotion.
(c) Betty is the only one who is upset about it.
(d) They are all devastated.
6. In what condition is Maureen at the beginning of the second book?
(a) She is missing, because she ran away from home.
(b) She is driving herself to the point of exhaustion with work and school.
(c) She is pregnant, and has lost her job.
(d) She is catatonic, and has been since her beating.
7. What does Jules want to do with his own children?
(a) Ensure that they remember him when he is gone.
(b) Home-school them.
(c) Live somewhere far away from Detroit.
(d) Give them opportunities that he never had.
8. Why is the person Loretta goes to unable to help her?
(a) Because they are in the hospital.
(b) Because her husband doesn't welcome strangers.
(c) Because they have no place to live themselves.
(d) Because they are already living in someone else's home.
9. Why does Jules steal a car?
(a) To drive himself to Seattle.
(b) To drive himself and Nadine to Texas or Mexico.
(c) To drive himself and Nadine to Canada.
(d) To drive himself to California.
10. What does Mrs. Wendall say about Jules's future?
(a) That he has to dress and behave as if he is richer than he is.
(b) That he will wind up in the electric chair, and Mrs. Wendall will pull the switch.
(c) That he will end up being a street-rat, just like his mother.
(d) That he needs to go to school in order to get a good job.
11. Who is Howard Wendall?
(a) A chef.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
12. Why does Bernard give Jules three hundred dollars?
(a) So Jules can pay off a debt.
(b) For a new car.
(c) So Jules can go to Texas.
(d) For a haircut, a suit, and groceries for his mother.
13. How does the barn fire start?
(a) Embers from a campfire.
(b) Sunlight hitting a convex piece of glass.
(c) A magic trick gone awry.
(d) A cigarette butt that isn't extinguished.
14. What happens to Maureen's notebook?
(a) She loses it.
(b) Her mother throws it away.
(c) It is stolen.
(d) Her little sister destroys it.
15. Where does Loretta rent a room?
(a) Over a funeral parlor.
(b) Next to a police station.
(c) Behind a general store.
(d) Over a flower shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard leaves Loretta and their children to go where?
2. When Pat comes home after witnessing Maureen's actions, what does he do?
3. Who is Jules?
4. Why is Jules almost killed in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
5. Who is Betty?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)