|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Bernie?
(a) His sister is kidnapped.
(b) He is hit by a car and killed.
(c) He contracts a terminal illness.
(d) He is shot and killed.
2. What sort of relationship does Betty have with her brother and sister?
(a) Betty is close to Maureen, but not to Jules.
(b) Betty isn't close to either of her siblings.
(c) All three of them are very close.
(d) Betty is close to Jules, but not to Maureen.
3. Who is Rita?
(a) Loretta's friend.
(b) Bernie's niece.
(c) Howard's sister.
(d) Loretta's daughter.
4. To whom does Loretta go for help while Howard is gone?
(b) Her father.
5. What does Nadine know about why Bernard was killed?
(a) She thinks it is because he didn't pay his bookie.
(b) She knows who killed him, and why.
(c) She knows it is because he got involved with the wrong people.
6. What happens to Jules at school?
(a) He is paddled by a teacher.
(b) He is suspended for starting a fight.
(c) He falls in love with a nun.
(d) He is beaten up for trying to steal someone's lunch.
7. How does Maureen feel about her method of earning an income?
(a) She doesn't mind it, and sometimes enjoys it.
(b) She distances herself from it and focuses only on the money she is making.
(c) She hates every moment of it, and hates her parents for forcing her to such lengths.
(d) Her attitude about it is never expressed.
8. In what condition does Jules find Bernard?
(a) Drunk and passed out in an alley.
(b) Being held hostage.
(c) Penniless and suicidal.
(d) Lying face-up, with his throat slashed.
9. What type of school do Loretta's children attend?
(a) A Hebrew school.
(b) Loretta home-schools them.
(c) A Catholic school.
(d) An inner-city public school.
10. Who is Jules?
(a) Brock's brother.
(b) Loretta's oldest son.
(c) Loretta's nephew.
(d) Howard's brother.
11. What happens to Maureen's notebook?
(a) Her mother throws it away.
(b) It is stolen.
(c) Her little sister destroys it.
(d) She loses it.
12. How is Howard killed?
(a) He has a heart attack from drinking too much.
(b) He is beaten to death in a bar fight.
(c) He is hit by a bus while walking home drunk.
(d) A steel beam crushes him in an accident at work.
13. What year is it in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
14. Why does Maureen enjoy the library so much?
(a) She associates the stillness with a life she hopes to someday have away from her family.
(b) There is a librarian there that she has a crush on.
(c) She knows an education is the key to rising out of poverty.
(d) She hopes to meet a man there who can take her away from her family.
15. What does Loretta do every night while waiting for Pat to come home?
(a) Does dishes.
(c) Goes to bed.
(d) Darns socks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Loretta feel about Mrs. Wendall?
2. What are the rumors circulating about Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
3. Where is Howard living, after the war?
4. How does Maureen feel about her parents?
5. Why does Bernard give Jules three hundred dollars?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)