|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the second book?
(a) She is pregnant and unemployed.
(b) She is pregnant, but still working.
(c) She is not pregnant and still working.
(d) She is not pregnant, but unemployed.
2. What does Jules do for work after Bernard's murder?
(a) He works as a receptionist at a hotel.
(b) He works as a delivery driver for a florist.
(c) He works at a restaurant as a short-order cook.
(d) He works at a local garage repairing cars.
3. Why is Jules almost killed in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
(a) He gets very ill from a drug overdose.
(b) He is mugged walking home from work.
(c) He ponders robbing a store and is shot at by a police officer.
(d) His father beats him severely.
4. What does Jules want to do with his own children?
(a) Give them opportunities that he never had.
(b) Home-school them.
(c) Ensure that they remember him when he is gone.
(d) Live somewhere far away from Detroit.
5. What does Nadine do to help Jules in Chapter 6 of the second book?
(a) She cares for him until he is well again.
(b) She brings him to a hospital.
(c) She offers to call her father to drive them home.
(d) Nothing; she takes the car and leaves.
6. Why does Bernard give Jules three hundred dollars?
(a) For a haircut, a suit, and groceries for his mother.
(b) So Jules can pay off a debt.
(c) For a new car.
(d) So Jules can go to Texas.
7. What pretense does Jules use to visit Nadine?
(a) He delivers some of her uncle's possessions to her.
(b) He needs to ask her questions about her uncle's estate.
(c) He visits her sister.
(d) He delivers flowers to her.
8. Why do Jules, Maureen, and Betty fail to bond with their parents?
(a) Loretta's children blame her for the abuse they suffered at the hands of Mrs. Wendall.
(b) Loretta never wanted to have children.
(c) Their pervasive financial problems don't leave much time for bonding.
(d) Loretta blames her children for her financial problems.
9. Where does Loretta go with her children while Howard is gone?
(a) Back to Detroit.
(b) Overseas to be with Howard.
(c) To Texas, to start a new life.
(d) Nowhere; she stays with Mrs. Wendall.
10. How old is Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
11. How do the children react to Howard's death?
(a) Jules is devastated, but the girls show little emotion.
(b) They show little emotion.
(c) Betty is the only one who is upset about it.
(d) They are all devastated.
12. Where does Maureen hide the money she makes?
(a) In books in her room.
(b) In her desk drawer.
(c) In her jewelry box.
(d) Under her mattress.
13. Who watches Loretta's children while Loretta goes out to make money?
(a) Mrs. Wendall watches them.
(b) Loretta brings them to work with her.
(c) Brock watches them.
(d) Jules cares for himself and the two girls.
14. What does Loretta do every night while waiting for Pat to come home?
(a) Does dishes.
(b) Darns socks.
(c) Goes to bed.
15. Why is Bernard killed?
(a) The jealous rage of Faye's husband.
(b) His involvement in underworld crime.
(c) A mugging gone wrong.
(d) The jealousy of a business rival.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rita?
2. In what condition does Jules find Bernard?
3. During what years does the novel take place?
4. Why does Maureen enjoy the library so much?
5. What position is Maureen elected to in school?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)