|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pat comes home after witnessing Maureen's actions, what does he do?
(a) He talks to Loretta about Maureen's actions.
(b) He calls the police.
(c) He packs Maureen's things and throws them onto the lawn.
(d) He beats Maureen severely.
2. What does Loretta do after Mrs. Wendall is gone?
(a) Moves the family into a smaller apartment.
(b) Rents Mrs. Wendall's room to a boarder.
(c) Gets a second job, to pay for the nursing home care.
(d) Quits her job to care for her children.
3. What does Loretta discover when she visits her father after moving away?
(a) That he is missing.
(b) That he has been killed.
(c) That he has been institutionalized.
(d) That he has gotten remarried.
4. How does Maureen decide to make money?
(a) She turns to prostitution.
(b) She sells her grandmother's medication.
(c) She sells her collection of porcelain dolls.
(d) She tutors her classmates.
5. What does Mrs. Wendall say about Jules's future?
(a) That he has to dress and behave as if he is richer than he is.
(b) That he will wind up in the electric chair, and Mrs. Wendall will pull the switch.
(c) That he will end up being a street-rat, just like his mother.
(d) That he needs to go to school in order to get a good job.
6. How is Howard killed?
(a) He has a heart attack from drinking too much.
(b) He is beaten to death in a bar fight.
(c) A steel beam crushes him in an accident at work.
(d) He is hit by a bus while walking home drunk.
7. Who burns down the barn?
8. What year is it at the beginning of the second book, chapter 4?
9. Who is Bernard Geffen?
(a) Faye's father.
(b) A rich man who hires Jules as his personal assistant.
(c) Pat's lawyer.
(d) The doctor who cares for Maureen.
10. Who cooks and waits up for Pat every night?
(d) No one.
11. What relationship exists between Nadine and Bernard?
(a) Daughter and father.
(b) Mother and son.
(c) Sister and brother.
(d) Niece and uncle.
12. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the second book?
(a) She is pregnant, but still working.
(b) She is not pregnant and still working.
(c) She is not pregnant, but unemployed.
(d) She is pregnant and unemployed.
13. What are Maureen's responsibilities on a daily basis?
(a) Going to work, because she does not attend school.
(b) Going to work and completing her schoolwork.
(c) Only her schoolwork.
(d) Cooking, housework, and her own schoolwork.
14. In what city does most of the novel take place?
15. Why doesn't Maureen have a job?
(a) Loretta won't allow her to get one.
(b) She has no marketable skills.
(c) She doesn't want to detract from her study time.
(d) There are no jobs available in her neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jules steal a car?
2. Where is Howard living, after the war?
3. Where are Jules and Nadine at the end of Chapter 6 of the second book?
4. What does Jules focus on after his father's death?
5. Who is Betty?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)