|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nadine know about why Bernard was killed?
(a) She thinks it is because he didn't pay his bookie.
(c) She knows who killed him, and why.
(d) She knows it is because he got involved with the wrong people.
2. What are Maureen's responsibilities on a daily basis?
(a) Only her schoolwork.
(b) Going to work and completing her schoolwork.
(c) Cooking, housework, and her own schoolwork.
(d) Going to work, because she does not attend school.
3. How does Loretta make money to support herself and her children?
(a) She sells drugs.
(b) She sings at a local nightclub.
(c) She waits tables at a local diner.
(d) She becomes a prostitute.
4. During what years does the novel take place?
(a) 1957 to 1977.
(b) 1917 to 1937.
(c) 1937 to 1967.
(d) 1967 to 1987.
5. What type of child is Betty?
(a) Cheerful and loving.
(b) Independent and responsible.
(c) Helpful and cooperative around the house.
(d) A child of the streets at an early age.
6. In what city does most of the novel take place?
7. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the second book?
(a) She is not pregnant and still working.
(b) She is pregnant and unemployed.
(c) She is not pregnant, but unemployed.
(d) She is pregnant, but still working.
8. What does Jules focus on after his father's death?
(a) Getting good grades, to be able to attend college.
(b) Making money to escape his life of poverty.
(c) Becoming the man of the family.
(d) Trying to set his mother up with a good man.
9. What happens to Maureen's notebook?
(a) Her little sister destroys it.
(b) Her mother throws it away.
(c) It is stolen.
(d) She loses it.
10. Who is Rita?
(a) Bernie's niece.
(b) Loretta's friend.
(c) Loretta's daughter.
(d) Howard's sister.
11. What does Jules struggle with after Howard's funeral?
(a) Jules needs a male role model.
(b) Jules can't remember anything about his father.
(c) Jules now has to care for his mother and sisters.
(d) Jules feels guilty for not being more upset.
12. What year is it in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
13. Where is Howard living, after the war?
(a) In Detroit, with Loretta.
(b) On the streets.
(c) At home with his mother.
(d) With another relative.
14. How did Bernard make most of his money?
(a) An inheritance.
(b) An item he invented.
(c) His involvement in the Detroit mob.
(d) The business he owned.
15. How does Maureen decide to make money?
(a) She tutors her classmates.
(b) She turns to prostitution.
(c) She sells her collection of porcelain dolls.
(d) She sells her grandmother's medication.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of relationship does Betty have with her brother and sister?
2. Why does Maureen enjoy the library so much?
3. What year is it at the beginning of the second book, chapter 4?
4. What does Loretta do every night while waiting for Pat to come home?
5. Who is the first major character to be introduced?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)