|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Loretta discover when she visits her father after moving away?
(a) That he has gotten remarried.
(b) That he has been institutionalized.
(c) That he has been killed.
(d) That he is missing.
2. What year is it at the beginning of the second book, chapter 4?
3. In what condition is Pat when he comes home at night?
(a) He comes home in a good mood many nights.
(b) He comes home late and drunk.
(c) He usually doesn't come home.
(d) He comes home exhausted and cranky from working late.
4. What does Jules do for work after Bernard's murder?
(a) He works at a restaurant as a short-order cook.
(b) He works as a delivery driver for a florist.
(c) He works at a local garage repairing cars.
(d) He works as a receptionist at a hotel.
5. What does Nadine know about why Bernard was killed?
(a) She knows it is because he got involved with the wrong people.
(b) She knows who killed him, and why.
(c) She thinks it is because he didn't pay his bookie.
6. Where does Mrs. Wendall live after Howard's death?
(a) She goes to live with a relative in the country.
(b) She goes to live with one of her other children.
(c) She goes to a funeral home.
(d) She continues to live with Loretta and her new husband.
7. What are the rumors circulating about Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is an alcoholic.
(c) Her father has been arrested.
(d) She associates herself with the wrong kind of boys.
8. What happens to Maureen's notebook?
(a) Her little sister destroys it.
(b) She loses it.
(c) It is stolen.
(d) Her mother throws it away.
9. Where does Loretta rent a room?
(a) Behind a general store.
(b) Over a funeral parlor.
(c) Next to a police station.
(d) Over a flower shop.
10. What does Jules struggle with after Howard's funeral?
(a) Jules can't remember anything about his father.
(b) Jules now has to care for his mother and sisters.
(c) Jules feels guilty for not being more upset.
(d) Jules needs a male role model.
11. Howard leaves Loretta and their children to go where?
(a) To live with and care for his aging mother.
(b) To move in with his mistress.
(c) To backpack across Europe.
(d) To fight in World War II.
12. What position is Maureen elected to in school?
(a) Officer of the debate team.
(b) Class president.
(c) Secretary of her homeroom.
(d) Leader of the student senate.
13. What happens to Jules at school?
(a) He is paddled by a teacher.
(b) He is beaten up for trying to steal someone's lunch.
(c) He is suspended for starting a fight.
(d) He falls in love with a nun.
14. How might Nadine's emotions be described?
(a) Very unstable.
(b) Very stable.
(c) Somewhat unstable.
(d) Somewhat stable.
15. Who is the first major character to be introduced?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maureen hide the money she makes?
2. How did Bernard make most of his money?
3. What does Howard do for Loretta?
4. Who cooks and waits up for Pat every night?
5. Who is Brock, in relation to Loretta?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)