|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Howard Wendall?
(a) A chef.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A police officer.
2. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the second book?
(a) She is pregnant, but still working.
(b) She is not pregnant, but unemployed.
(c) She is not pregnant and still working.
(d) She is pregnant and unemployed.
3. In what city does most of the novel take place?
4. In what condition is Pat when he comes home at night?
(a) He comes home in a good mood many nights.
(b) He usually doesn't come home.
(c) He comes home late and drunk.
(d) He comes home exhausted and cranky from working late.
5. Why is Howard fired from his job?
(a) Chronic tardiness.
(b) The company was sold.
(c) Poor attendance.
(d) Corrupt behavior.
6. How does Mrs. Wendall react to the barn fire?
(a) She whips the perpetrator with a stick.
(b) She assumes that it was a lightning strike.
(c) She faints when she sees it.
(d) She is pleased to get the insurance money.
7. Who watches Loretta's children while Loretta goes out to make money?
(a) Mrs. Wendall watches them.
(b) Loretta brings them to work with her.
(c) Jules cares for himself and the two girls.
(d) Brock watches them.
8. How does the barn fire start?
(a) A magic trick gone awry.
(b) Embers from a campfire.
(c) A cigarette butt that isn't extinguished.
(d) Sunlight hitting a convex piece of glass.
9. What does Howard do for Loretta?
(a) He loans her money to get out of town.
(b) He helps her cover up Bernie's murder.
(c) He gives her medication to sell.
(d) He gives her a job at his restaurant.
10. Who is Betty?
(a) Loretta's younger daughter.
(b) Loretta's friend.
(c) Maureen's cousin.
(d) Howard's sister.
11. How does Loretta feel about Howard's absence?
(a) She misses him, but is able to cope.
(b) She does not miss him, surprisingly.
(c) She is angry at him, and glad he is gone.
(d) She is lost without him.
12. How is Howard killed?
(a) He has a heart attack from drinking too much.
(b) A steel beam crushes him in an accident at work.
(c) He is beaten to death in a bar fight.
(d) He is hit by a bus while walking home drunk.
13. How might Nadine's emotions be described?
(a) Very unstable.
(b) Somewhat unstable.
(c) Somewhat stable.
(d) Very stable.
14. What is Maureen's method of escape?
(a) Running away repeatedly.
(b) Going to the library.
(c) Going to the movies.
(d) Drugs and alcohol.
15. What is Loretta forced to do as payment for Howard's help?
(a) She has to sleep with him.
(b) She has to take care of his dying mother.
(c) She has to marry his nephew.
(d) She has to pay him back within a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a child is Jules?
2. Who is the first major character to be introduced?
3. Where does Mrs. Wendall live after Howard's death?
4. Why does Loretta feed Maureen sweets every day?
5. What are the rumors circulating about Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)