|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Jules on one of the nights when he runs away?
(a) He witnesses the aftermath of a plane crash.
(b) He is hit by a car.
(c) He gets lost in a burning building.
(d) He is kidnapped.
2. What does Mrs. Wendall say about Jules's future?
(a) That he will wind up in the electric chair, and Mrs. Wendall will pull the switch.
(b) That he will end up being a street-rat, just like his mother.
(c) That he has to dress and behave as if he is richer than he is.
(d) That he needs to go to school in order to get a good job.
3. How does the barn fire start?
(a) Sunlight hitting a convex piece of glass.
(b) A cigarette butt that isn't extinguished.
(c) Embers from a campfire.
(d) A magic trick gone awry.
4. What does Jules want to do with his own children?
(a) Give them opportunities that he never had.
(b) Live somewhere far away from Detroit.
(c) Ensure that they remember him when he is gone.
(d) Home-school them.
5. How does Maureen feel about the loss of her notebook?
(a) She feels hopeless and doesn't know how to retrieve it.
(b) She is furious at her sister's carelessness.
(c) She is devastated by her own irresponsibility.
(d) She is proud of herself for keeping duplicates of all of her notes.
6. Where is Howard living, after the war?
(a) At home with his mother.
(b) In Detroit, with Loretta.
(c) On the streets.
(d) With another relative.
7. Why doesn't Maureen have a job?
(a) There are no jobs available in her neighborhood.
(b) She has no marketable skills.
(c) Loretta won't allow her to get one.
(d) She doesn't want to detract from her study time.
8. In what city does most of the novel take place?
9. What type of child is Betty?
(a) Helpful and cooperative around the house.
(b) Cheerful and loving.
(c) Independent and responsible.
(d) A child of the streets at an early age.
10. What does Loretta force Maureen to do for Pat?
(a) Wash his laundry.
(b) Give him backrubs.
(c) Shave his chest.
(d) Perform sexual favors for him.
11. Who is Maureen?
(a) Mrs. Wendall's niece.
(b) Loretta's older daughter.
(c) Howard's sister.
(d) Brock's aunt.
12. How is Howard killed?
(a) A steel beam crushes him in an accident at work.
(b) He has a heart attack from drinking too much.
(c) He is hit by a bus while walking home drunk.
(d) He is beaten to death in a bar fight.
13. Why is Jules so anxious at the bank when cashing Bernard's checks?
(a) Jules is waiting for his accomplice to rob the bank.
(b) He doesn't believe that the checks are real.
(c) Jules has forged the check amounts.
(d) Jules is afraid he will be robbed.
14. What type of school do Loretta's children attend?
(a) An inner-city public school.
(b) A Hebrew school.
(c) A Catholic school.
(d) Loretta home-schools them.
15. How does Maureen decide to make money?
(a) She tutors her classmates.
(b) She sells her grandmother's medication.
(c) She sells her collection of porcelain dolls.
(d) She turns to prostitution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Jules, Maureen, and Betty fail to bond with their parents?
2. What is Maureen's method of escape?
3. Why does Maureen need money immediately?
4. What does Howard do for Loretta?
5. What happens to Jules at school?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)