|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maureen need money immediately?
(a) To buy a gun.
(b) To make a deposit for her college application.
(c) To pay Pat's bookie.
(d) To get out of her parents' house.
2. In what city does most of the novel take place?
3. What does Jules want to do with his own children?
(a) Live somewhere far away from Detroit.
(b) Home-school them.
(c) Ensure that they remember him when he is gone.
(d) Give them opportunities that he never had.
4. What does Jules dream of when looking at maps and books?
(a) Staying in Detroit to help his mother.
(b) Getting away from Detroit one day.
(c) Becoming a pirate.
(d) Joining the circus.
5. Why is Jules almost killed in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
(a) He gets very ill from a drug overdose.
(b) He is mugged walking home from work.
(c) He ponders robbing a store and is shot at by a police officer.
(d) His father beats him severely.
6. What does Nadine do to help Jules in Chapter 6 of the second book?
(a) She brings him to a hospital.
(b) Nothing; she takes the car and leaves.
(c) She offers to call her father to drive them home.
(d) She cares for him until he is well again.
7. What year is it in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
8. What does Howard do for Loretta?
(a) He gives her a job at his restaurant.
(b) He loans her money to get out of town.
(c) He gives her medication to sell.
(d) He helps her cover up Bernie's murder.
9. How does Mrs. Wendall react to the barn fire?
(a) She is pleased to get the insurance money.
(b) She assumes that it was a lightning strike.
(c) She faints when she sees it.
(d) She whips the perpetrator with a stick.
10. Who cooks and waits up for Pat every night?
(a) No one.
11. How does Maureen feel about the loss of her notebook?
(a) She is devastated by her own irresponsibility.
(b) She is proud of herself for keeping duplicates of all of her notes.
(c) She is furious at her sister's carelessness.
(d) She feels hopeless and doesn't know how to retrieve it.
12. What is Maureen's method of escape?
(a) Running away repeatedly.
(b) Going to the movies.
(c) Drugs and alcohol.
(d) Going to the library.
13. Who is Maureen?
(a) Loretta's older daughter.
(b) Howard's sister.
(c) Brock's aunt.
(d) Mrs. Wendall's niece.
14. How does Loretta's family feel about Mrs. Wendall's placement in a nursing home?
(a) They are sorry to see her go.
(b) It relieves some of their stress.
(c) They are angry at her because the nursing home is expensive.
(d) They feel guilty for being unable to care for her.
15. How did Bernard make most of his money?
(a) An inheritance.
(b) His involvement in the Detroit mob.
(c) An item he invented.
(d) The business he owned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Wendall live after Howard's death?
2. What happens to Maureen's notebook?
3. What does Jules struggle with after Howard's funeral?
4. Who is Howard Wendall?
5. Why does Faye take Jules home when she meets him?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)