|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the rumors circulating about Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
(a) She is an alcoholic.
(b) Her father has been arrested.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She associates herself with the wrong kind of boys.
2. What does Mrs. Wendall say about Jules's future?
(a) That he will wind up in the electric chair, and Mrs. Wendall will pull the switch.
(b) That he has to dress and behave as if he is richer than he is.
(c) That he needs to go to school in order to get a good job.
(d) That he will end up being a street-rat, just like his mother.
3. How old is Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
4. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the second book?
(a) She is pregnant and unemployed.
(b) She is not pregnant, but unemployed.
(c) She is not pregnant and still working.
(d) She is pregnant, but still working.
5. What does Jules dream of when looking at maps and books?
(a) Getting away from Detroit one day.
(b) Becoming a pirate.
(c) Joining the circus.
(d) Staying in Detroit to help his mother.
6. What happens to Jules while he and Nadine are on the road?
(a) He gets dysentery.
(b) He is hit by a car.
(c) He receives word that his mother is dead.
(d) He is shot and killed.
7. Why is Loretta arrested?
(b) Distributing narcotics.
(c) Carrying a concealed weapon.
(d) Leaving her children unattended.
8. Who is Maureen?
(a) Howard's sister.
(b) Mrs. Wendall's niece.
(c) Loretta's older daughter.
(d) Brock's aunt.
9. Why is Pat in jail?
(a) For a bar fight.
(b) For stealing money from work.
(c) For beating Maureen so severely.
(d) For stealing a car.
10. What does Jules focus on after his father's death?
(a) Becoming the man of the family.
(b) Getting good grades, to be able to attend college.
(c) Trying to set his mother up with a good man.
(d) Making money to escape his life of poverty.
11. What position is Maureen elected to in school?
(a) Secretary of her homeroom.
(b) Officer of the debate team.
(c) Leader of the student senate.
(d) Class president.
12. What type of school do Loretta's children attend?
(a) A Catholic school.
(b) A Hebrew school.
(c) An inner-city public school.
(d) Loretta home-schools them.
13. Why is Howard fired from his job?
(a) Corrupt behavior.
(b) Chronic tardiness.
(c) Poor attendance.
(d) The company was sold.
14. What type of child is Betty?
(a) A child of the streets at an early age.
(b) Helpful and cooperative around the house.
(c) Cheerful and loving.
(d) Independent and responsible.
15. What does Jules want to do with his own children?
(a) Ensure that they remember him when he is gone.
(b) Give them opportunities that he never had.
(c) Live somewhere far away from Detroit.
(d) Home-school them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of relationship does Betty have with her brother and sister?
2. What does Nadine know about why Bernard was killed?
3. How does Mrs. Wendall react to the barn fire?
4. What happens to Jules on one of the nights when he runs away?
5. Why does Faye take Jules home when she meets him?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)