|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How might Nadine's emotions be described?
(a) Somewhat unstable.
(b) Very unstable.
(c) Somewhat stable.
(d) Very stable.
2. What kind of a child is Jules?
(a) Defiant and disrespectful.
(b) Boisterous and obnoxious.
(c) Quiet and introspective.
(d) Delightful and adventurous.
3. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the second book?
(a) She is not pregnant and still working.
(b) She is pregnant, but still working.
(c) She is pregnant and unemployed.
(d) She is not pregnant, but unemployed.
4. How does Mrs. Wendall react to the barn fire?
(a) She faints when she sees it.
(b) She is pleased to get the insurance money.
(c) She whips the perpetrator with a stick.
(d) She assumes that it was a lightning strike.
5. Howard leaves Loretta and their children to go where?
(a) To move in with his mistress.
(b) To fight in World War II.
(c) To live with and care for his aging mother.
(d) To backpack across Europe.
6. What does Jules want to do with his own children?
(a) Live somewhere far away from Detroit.
(b) Ensure that they remember him when he is gone.
(c) Home-school them.
(d) Give them opportunities that he never had.
7. What does Loretta force Maureen to do for Pat?
(a) Perform sexual favors for him.
(b) Wash his laundry.
(c) Give him backrubs.
(d) Shave his chest.
8. How does Loretta make money to support herself and her children?
(a) She sings at a local nightclub.
(b) She waits tables at a local diner.
(c) She sells drugs.
(d) She becomes a prostitute.
9. In what condition does Jules find Bernard?
(a) Being held hostage.
(b) Drunk and passed out in an alley.
(c) Lying face-up, with his throat slashed.
(d) Penniless and suicidal.
10. How does Loretta feel about Howard's absence?
(a) She is angry at him, and glad he is gone.
(b) She is lost without him.
(c) She misses him, but is able to cope.
(d) She does not miss him, surprisingly.
11. Why is Jules almost killed in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
(a) He ponders robbing a store and is shot at by a police officer.
(b) He is mugged walking home from work.
(c) His father beats him severely.
(d) He gets very ill from a drug overdose.
12. Who cooks and waits up for Pat every night?
(a) No one.
13. To whom does Loretta go for help while Howard is gone?
(b) Her father.
14. Who is Maureen?
(a) Brock's aunt.
(b) Loretta's older daughter.
(c) Mrs. Wendall's niece.
(d) Howard's sister.
15. What is Maureen's method of escape?
(a) Drugs and alcohol.
(b) Going to the library.
(c) Running away repeatedly.
(d) Going to the movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship exists between Nadine and Bernard?
2. What does Nadine know about why Bernard was killed?
3. Who is Betty?
4. What does Loretta do every night while waiting for Pat to come home?
5. Why is Jules so anxious at the bank when cashing Bernard's checks?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)