|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the person Loretta goes to unable to help her?
(a) Because they are already living in someone else's home.
(b) Because her husband doesn't welcome strangers.
(c) Because they are in the hospital.
(d) Because they have no place to live themselves.
2. What does Jules do for work after Bernard's murder?
(a) He works at a restaurant as a short-order cook.
(b) He works as a receptionist at a hotel.
(c) He works as a delivery driver for a florist.
(d) He works at a local garage repairing cars.
3. To whom does Loretta go for help while Howard is gone?
(b) Her father.
4. How does Loretta feel about Mrs. Wendall?
(a) She hates her meddling, overbearing attitude.
(b) She is grateful to have her around to help with the children.
(c) She is glad to have her as company.
(d) She is jealous of Mrs. Wendall's relationship with Howard.
5. Where are Jules and Nadine at the end of Chapter 6 of the second book?
(a) Nadine is in Texas; Jules is making his way back to Detroit.
(b) Jules is in Texas; Nadine is making her way back to Detroit.
(c) Nadine and Jules are in Texas together.
(d) Nadine and Jules are both back in Michigan.
6. How does the barn fire start?
(a) Embers from a campfire.
(b) A cigarette butt that isn't extinguished.
(c) Sunlight hitting a convex piece of glass.
(d) A magic trick gone awry.
7. Who is Bernie Malin?
(a) One of Loretta's father's friends.
(b) A boy Loretta has been seeing.
(c) Loretta's cousin.
(d) One of Brock's friends.
8. How does Loretta feel about Howard's absence?
(a) She is angry at him, and glad he is gone.
(b) She is lost without him.
(c) She does not miss him, surprisingly.
(d) She misses him, but is able to cope.
9. Who is Betty?
(a) Howard's sister.
(b) Loretta's younger daughter.
(c) Maureen's cousin.
(d) Loretta's friend.
10. Why is Jules so anxious at the bank when cashing Bernard's checks?
(a) Jules has forged the check amounts.
(b) Jules is afraid he will be robbed.
(c) He doesn't believe that the checks are real.
(d) Jules is waiting for his accomplice to rob the bank.
11. Who is Bernard Geffen?
(a) The doctor who cares for Maureen.
(b) Faye's father.
(c) Pat's lawyer.
(d) A rich man who hires Jules as his personal assistant.
12. Why does Jules steal a car?
(a) To drive himself and Nadine to Canada.
(b) To drive himself to California.
(c) To drive himself and Nadine to Texas or Mexico.
(d) To drive himself to Seattle.
13. What does Jules do when he finds Bernard?
(a) He calls the police and stays with Bernard until they come.
(b) He calls Bernard's lawyer to come help him.
(c) He brings Bernard to his mother's house to stay with her.
(d) Returns the money Bernard had given him to Bernard's pocket and leaves.
14. During what years does the novel take place?
(a) 1917 to 1937.
(b) 1957 to 1977.
(c) 1967 to 1987.
(d) 1937 to 1967.
15. How does Maureen decide to make money?
(a) She tutors her classmates.
(b) She sells her grandmother's medication.
(c) She turns to prostitution.
(d) She sells her collection of porcelain dolls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Wendall living?
2. What does Jules struggle with after Howard's funeral?
3. Where is Howard living, after the war?
4. When Pat comes home after witnessing Maureen's actions, what does he do?
5. What are the rumors circulating about Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)