|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maureen feel about the loss of her notebook?
(a) She is proud of herself for keeping duplicates of all of her notes.
(b) She feels hopeless and doesn't know how to retrieve it.
(c) She is devastated by her own irresponsibility.
(d) She is furious at her sister's carelessness.
2. Why is Bernard killed?
(a) The jealous rage of Faye's husband.
(b) His involvement in underworld crime.
(c) A mugging gone wrong.
(d) The jealousy of a business rival.
3. Who is Brock, in relation to Loretta?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her son.
4. When Pat comes home after witnessing Maureen's actions, what does he do?
(a) He talks to Loretta about Maureen's actions.
(b) He beats Maureen severely.
(c) He calls the police.
(d) He packs Maureen's things and throws them onto the lawn.
5. Who is Bernard Geffen?
(a) Faye's father.
(b) Pat's lawyer.
(c) The doctor who cares for Maureen.
(d) A rich man who hires Jules as his personal assistant.
6. Who burns down the barn?
7. Where is Howard living, after the war?
(a) At home with his mother.
(b) On the streets.
(c) In Detroit, with Loretta.
(d) With another relative.
8. What happens to Maureen's notebook?
(a) Her little sister destroys it.
(b) It is stolen.
(c) She loses it.
(d) Her mother throws it away.
9. What does Loretta do after Mrs. Wendall is gone?
(a) Moves the family into a smaller apartment.
(b) Rents Mrs. Wendall's room to a boarder.
(c) Gets a second job, to pay for the nursing home care.
(d) Quits her job to care for her children.
10. How does Loretta's family feel about Mrs. Wendall's placement in a nursing home?
(a) It relieves some of their stress.
(b) They are angry at her because the nursing home is expensive.
(c) They are sorry to see her go.
(d) They feel guilty for being unable to care for her.
11. What are Maureen's responsibilities on a daily basis?
(a) Cooking, housework, and her own schoolwork.
(b) Going to work and completing her schoolwork.
(c) Going to work, because she does not attend school.
(d) Only her schoolwork.
12. What does Pat see Maureen doing, in the last chapter of the first book?
(a) He sees her in a car with a man, her customer.
(b) He sees her sneaking out of the house after dark.
(c) He sees her putting her money away.
(d) He sees her looking through his wallet.
13. What happens when Jules visits Nadine?
(a) He seduces her.
(b) He rapes her.
(c) She robs him.
(d) She throws him out.
14. How did Bernard make most of his money?
(a) An inheritance.
(b) The business he owned.
(c) His involvement in the Detroit mob.
(d) An item he invented.
15. How does Maureen feel about her parents?
(a) She loves them, and pities them.
(b) She hates them for keeping the family mired in poverty.
(c) She loves them, and is happy at home.
(d) She admires them for their hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Bernie?
2. What does Jules focus on after his father's death?
3. What does Nadine know about why Bernard was killed?
4. What relationship exists between Nadine and Bernard?
5. Why do Jules, Maureen, and Betty fail to bond with their parents?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)