|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Betty?
(a) Loretta's friend.
(b) Maureen's cousin.
(c) Howard's sister.
(d) Loretta's younger daughter.
2. How does Loretta make money to support herself and her children?
(a) She becomes a prostitute.
(b) She sells drugs.
(c) She sings at a local nightclub.
(d) She waits tables at a local diner.
3. Why is Pat in jail?
(a) For a bar fight.
(b) For stealing a car.
(c) For beating Maureen so severely.
(d) For stealing money from work.
4. How might Nadine's emotions be described?
(a) Somewhat stable.
(b) Very unstable.
(c) Somewhat unstable.
(d) Very stable.
5. Howard leaves Loretta and their children to go where?
(a) To backpack across Europe.
(b) To fight in World War II.
(c) To live with and care for his aging mother.
(d) To move in with his mistress.
6. What does Loretta discover when she visits her father after moving away?
(a) That he has been institutionalized.
(b) That he has been killed.
(c) That he has gotten remarried.
(d) That he is missing.
7. How old is Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
8. What is Maureen's method of escape?
(a) Going to the library.
(b) Running away repeatedly.
(c) Drugs and alcohol.
(d) Going to the movies.
9. How does Mrs. Wendall react to the barn fire?
(a) She faints when she sees it.
(b) She assumes that it was a lightning strike.
(c) She whips the perpetrator with a stick.
(d) She is pleased to get the insurance money.
10. What year is it in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
11. Who is Maureen?
(a) Loretta's older daughter.
(b) Brock's aunt.
(c) Howard's sister.
(d) Mrs. Wendall's niece.
12. Why does Jules steal a car?
(a) To drive himself to Seattle.
(b) To drive himself and Nadine to Canada.
(c) To drive himself and Nadine to Texas or Mexico.
(d) To drive himself to California.
13. Who is Jules?
(a) Loretta's oldest son.
(b) Howard's brother.
(c) Loretta's nephew.
(d) Brock's brother.
14. What happens to Jules while he and Nadine are on the road?
(a) He receives word that his mother is dead.
(b) He is hit by a car.
(c) He is shot and killed.
(d) He gets dysentery.
15. What does Pat see Maureen doing, in the last chapter of the first book?
(a) He sees her putting her money away.
(b) He sees her sneaking out of the house after dark.
(c) He sees her looking through his wallet.
(d) He sees her in a car with a man, her customer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jules do for work after Bernard's murder?
2. Where are Jules and Nadine at the end of Chapter 6 of the second book?
3. In what city does most of the novel take place?
4. To whom does Loretta go for help while Howard is gone?
5. What type of child is Betty?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)