|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cooks and waits up for Pat every night?
(c) No one.
2. How old is Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
3. How does Loretta feel about Mrs. Wendall?
(a) She hates her meddling, overbearing attitude.
(b) She is glad to have her as company.
(c) She is grateful to have her around to help with the children.
(d) She is jealous of Mrs. Wendall's relationship with Howard.
4. Why does Faye take Jules home when she meets him?
(a) She wants to rob him.
(b) He is lightheaded from lack of food and sleep.
(c) He is shivering in the rain.
(d) She is attracted to him.
5. What happens to Jules on one of the nights when he runs away?
(a) He is kidnapped.
(b) He witnesses the aftermath of a plane crash.
(c) He gets lost in a burning building.
(d) He is hit by a car.
6. What are Maureen's responsibilities on a daily basis?
(a) Cooking, housework, and her own schoolwork.
(b) Going to work and completing her schoolwork.
(c) Going to work, because she does not attend school.
(d) Only her schoolwork.
7. What happens to Bernie?
(a) His sister is kidnapped.
(b) He is shot and killed.
(c) He is hit by a car and killed.
(d) He contracts a terminal illness.
8. What does Jules do when he finds Bernard?
(a) He calls the police and stays with Bernard until they come.
(b) He calls Bernard's lawyer to come help him.
(c) He brings Bernard to his mother's house to stay with her.
(d) Returns the money Bernard had given him to Bernard's pocket and leaves.
9. What position is Maureen elected to in school?
(a) Leader of the student senate.
(b) Secretary of her homeroom.
(c) Class president.
(d) Officer of the debate team.
10. What does Howard do for Loretta?
(a) He helps her cover up Bernie's murder.
(b) He gives her medication to sell.
(c) He gives her a job at his restaurant.
(d) He loans her money to get out of town.
11. What year is it at the beginning of the second book, chapter 4?
12. In what condition does Jules find Bernard?
(a) Penniless and suicidal.
(b) Drunk and passed out in an alley.
(c) Being held hostage.
(d) Lying face-up, with his throat slashed.
13. What does Pat see Maureen doing, in the last chapter of the first book?
(a) He sees her sneaking out of the house after dark.
(b) He sees her putting her money away.
(c) He sees her looking through his wallet.
(d) He sees her in a car with a man, her customer.
14. Who is Betty?
(a) Loretta's younger daughter.
(b) Loretta's friend.
(c) Maureen's cousin.
(d) Howard's sister.
15. What is Maureen's method of escape?
(a) Going to the movies.
(b) Running away repeatedly.
(c) Going to the library.
(d) Drugs and alcohol.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nadine know about why Bernard was killed?
2. Why is Bernard killed?
3. What does Loretta discover when she visits her father after moving away?
4. Who is Maureen?
5. Why is the person Loretta goes to unable to help her?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)