|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Jules visits Nadine?
(a) He seduces her.
(b) He rapes her.
(c) She robs him.
(d) She throws him out.
2. How does Loretta make money to support herself and her children?
(a) She waits tables at a local diner.
(b) She sings at a local nightclub.
(c) She becomes a prostitute.
(d) She sells drugs.
3. Why is Pat in jail?
(a) For beating Maureen so severely.
(b) For stealing money from work.
(c) For a bar fight.
(d) For stealing a car.
4. How does Maureen feel about her method of earning an income?
(a) Her attitude about it is never expressed.
(b) She distances herself from it and focuses only on the money she is making.
(c) She doesn't mind it, and sometimes enjoys it.
(d) She hates every moment of it, and hates her parents for forcing her to such lengths.
5. What does Loretta do every night while waiting for Pat to come home?
(a) Does dishes.
(c) Darns socks.
(d) Goes to bed.
6. What happens to Jules at school?
(a) He falls in love with a nun.
(b) He is paddled by a teacher.
(c) He is beaten up for trying to steal someone's lunch.
(d) He is suspended for starting a fight.
7. To whom does Loretta go for help while Howard is gone?
(a) Her father.
8. How does Maureen decide to make money?
(a) She turns to prostitution.
(b) She tutors her classmates.
(c) She sells her collection of porcelain dolls.
(d) She sells her grandmother's medication.
9. How did Bernard make most of his money?
(a) An inheritance.
(b) An item he invented.
(c) His involvement in the Detroit mob.
(d) The business he owned.
10. What are Maureen's responsibilities on a daily basis?
(a) Cooking, housework, and her own schoolwork.
(b) Going to work, because she does not attend school.
(c) Going to work and completing her schoolwork.
(d) Only her schoolwork.
11. Where does Mrs. Wendall live after Howard's death?
(a) She continues to live with Loretta and her new husband.
(b) She goes to live with a relative in the country.
(c) She goes to live with one of her other children.
(d) She goes to a funeral home.
12. How does Loretta feel about Mrs. Wendall?
(a) She is grateful to have her around to help with the children.
(b) She is glad to have her as company.
(c) She is jealous of Mrs. Wendall's relationship with Howard.
(d) She hates her meddling, overbearing attitude.
13. Who is the first major character to be introduced?
14. Who is Rita?
(a) Loretta's friend.
(b) Howard's sister.
(c) Bernie's niece.
(d) Loretta's daughter.
15. What is Maureen's method of escape?
(a) Going to the library.
(b) Running away repeatedly.
(c) Drugs and alcohol.
(d) Going to the movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what years does the novel take place?
2. What kind of a child is Jules?
3. Why doesn't Maureen have a job?
4. How does Maureen feel about her parents?
5. Who is Maureen?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)