|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Jules at school?
(a) He is suspended for starting a fight.
(b) He is paddled by a teacher.
(c) He falls in love with a nun.
(d) He is beaten up for trying to steal someone's lunch.
2. Who is Betty?
(a) Howard's sister.
(b) Maureen's cousin.
(c) Loretta's younger daughter.
(d) Loretta's friend.
3. Howard leaves Loretta and their children to go where?
(a) To move in with his mistress.
(b) To live with and care for his aging mother.
(c) To fight in World War II.
(d) To backpack across Europe.
4. How is Howard killed?
(a) A steel beam crushes him in an accident at work.
(b) He is hit by a bus while walking home drunk.
(c) He is beaten to death in a bar fight.
(d) He has a heart attack from drinking too much.
5. Where does Loretta rent a room?
(a) Over a flower shop.
(b) Behind a general store.
(c) Over a funeral parlor.
(d) Next to a police station.
6. What relationship exists between Nadine and Bernard?
(a) Sister and brother.
(b) Daughter and father.
(c) Mother and son.
(d) Niece and uncle.
7. Why is Howard fired from his job?
(a) Poor attendance.
(b) Corrupt behavior.
(c) Chronic tardiness.
(d) The company was sold.
8. What are the rumors circulating about Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Her father has been arrested.
(b) She associates herself with the wrong kind of boys.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is an alcoholic.
9. Who burns down the barn?
10. How does Maureen feel about her method of earning an income?
(a) She distances herself from it and focuses only on the money she is making.
(b) She hates every moment of it, and hates her parents for forcing her to such lengths.
(c) She doesn't mind it, and sometimes enjoys it.
(d) Her attitude about it is never expressed.
11. What does Nadine know about why Bernard was killed?
(b) She thinks it is because he didn't pay his bookie.
(c) She knows it is because he got involved with the wrong people.
(d) She knows who killed him, and why.
12. Who is Pat Furlong?
(a) A police officer investigating Howard's death.
(b) A reverend at the local church.
(c) Howard's former employer.
(d) Loretta's new husband.
13. What is Maureen's method of escape?
(a) Running away repeatedly.
(b) Drugs and alcohol.
(c) Going to the movies.
(d) Going to the library.
14. Why is Mrs. Wendall placed in a nursing home?
(a) The family can't afford to feed her.
(b) The family is forced to move into a smaller home.
(c) Her deteriorating health.
(d) Mrs. Wendall no longer wants to live with Loretta and her children.
15. Where is Mrs. Wendall living?
(a) With another relative.
(b) In a nursing home.
(c) With Loretta and Howard.
(d) In a shelter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maureen need money immediately?
2. Who is the first major character to be introduced?
3. Where does Mrs. Wendall live after Howard's death?
4. What happens when Jules visits Nadine?
5. What position is Maureen elected to in school?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)