|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the person Loretta goes to unable to help her?
(a) Because they have no place to live themselves.
(b) Because they are already living in someone else's home.
(c) Because they are in the hospital.
(d) Because her husband doesn't welcome strangers.
2. What position is Maureen elected to in school?
(a) Leader of the student senate.
(b) Secretary of her homeroom.
(c) Class president.
(d) Officer of the debate team.
3. Who cooks and waits up for Pat every night?
(a) No one.
4. Why do Jules, Maureen, and Betty fail to bond with their parents?
(a) Loretta's children blame her for the abuse they suffered at the hands of Mrs. Wendall.
(b) Loretta never wanted to have children.
(c) Their pervasive financial problems don't leave much time for bonding.
(d) Loretta blames her children for her financial problems.
5. What does Loretta force Maureen to do for Pat?
(a) Shave his chest.
(b) Perform sexual favors for him.
(c) Give him backrubs.
(d) Wash his laundry.
6. Why doesn't Maureen have a job?
(a) There are no jobs available in her neighborhood.
(b) She doesn't want to detract from her study time.
(c) Loretta won't allow her to get one.
(d) She has no marketable skills.
7. In what condition is Pat when he comes home at night?
(a) He comes home exhausted and cranky from working late.
(b) He comes home late and drunk.
(c) He comes home in a good mood many nights.
(d) He usually doesn't come home.
8. How long is Pat in jail?
(a) Four months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) Eighteen months.
9. What does Jules do for work after Bernard's murder?
(a) He works at a restaurant as a short-order cook.
(b) He works at a local garage repairing cars.
(c) He works as a receptionist at a hotel.
(d) He works as a delivery driver for a florist.
10. Why is Pat in jail?
(a) For beating Maureen so severely.
(b) For stealing a car.
(c) For stealing money from work.
(d) For a bar fight.
11. Why is Mrs. Wendall placed in a nursing home?
(a) The family is forced to move into a smaller home.
(b) Mrs. Wendall no longer wants to live with Loretta and her children.
(c) Her deteriorating health.
(d) The family can't afford to feed her.
12. Who burns down the barn?
13. How does Loretta's family feel about Mrs. Wendall's placement in a nursing home?
(a) They are sorry to see her go.
(b) They are angry at her because the nursing home is expensive.
(c) They feel guilty for being unable to care for her.
(d) It relieves some of their stress.
14. Where does Loretta rent a room?
(a) Over a flower shop.
(b) Next to a police station.
(c) Over a funeral parlor.
(d) Behind a general store.
15. How does Loretta make money to support herself and her children?
(a) She sells drugs.
(b) She sings at a local nightclub.
(c) She becomes a prostitute.
(d) She waits tables at a local diner.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the children react to Howard's death?
2. Who takes Mrs. Wendall to all of her appointments at the clinic?
3. Who is Rita?
4. Howard leaves Loretta and their children to go where?
5. What is Loretta's situation at the beginning of the second book?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)