Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of a child is Jules?
(a) Boisterous and obnoxious.
(b) Delightful and adventurous.
(c) Defiant and disrespectful.
(d) Quiet and introspective.
2. What is Maureen's method of escape?
(a) Running away repeatedly.
(b) Going to the movies.
(c) Drugs and alcohol.
(d) Going to the library.
3. How does Mrs. Wendall react to the barn fire?
(a) She assumes that it was a lightning strike.
(b) She faints when she sees it.
(c) She whips the perpetrator with a stick.
(d) She is pleased to get the insurance money.
4. What does Jules do when he finds Bernard?
(a) He calls the police and stays with Bernard until they come.
(b) Returns the money Bernard had given him to Bernard's pocket and leaves.
(c) He brings Bernard to his mother's house to stay with her.
(d) He calls Bernard's lawyer to come help him.
5. In what condition is Pat when he comes home at night?
(a) He comes home exhausted and cranky from working late.
(b) He comes home late and drunk.
(c) He usually doesn't come home.
(d) He comes home in a good mood many nights.
6. Who is Pat Furlong?
(a) Howard's former employer.
(b) Loretta's new husband.
(c) A reverend at the local church.
(d) A police officer investigating Howard's death.
7. What year is it in Children of Silence, Chapter 9?
8. What does Loretta force Maureen to do for Pat?
(a) Give him backrubs.
(b) Shave his chest.
(c) Wash his laundry.
(d) Perform sexual favors for him.
9. Why does Bernard give Jules three hundred dollars?
(a) For a haircut, a suit, and groceries for his mother.
(b) So Jules can go to Texas.
(c) For a new car.
(d) So Jules can pay off a debt.
10. What happens to Maureen's notebook?
(a) It is stolen.
(b) Her little sister destroys it.
(c) She loses it.
(d) Her mother throws it away.
11. Why does Loretta feed Maureen sweets every day?
(a) Loretta feels that Maureen is too thin.
(b) Loretta wants to keep Maureen too weak to run away.
(c) Loretta wants to make Maureen happy with her favorite foods.
(d) Loretta thinks that if Maureen is eating, she is fine.
12. Who takes Mrs. Wendall to all of her appointments at the clinic?
13. During what years does the novel take place?
(a) 1917 to 1937.
(b) 1937 to 1967.
(c) 1957 to 1977.
(d) 1967 to 1987.
14. Why does Faye take Jules home when she meets him?
(a) She is attracted to him.
(b) He is shivering in the rain.
(c) She wants to rob him.
(d) He is lightheaded from lack of food and sleep.
15. Where does Loretta go with her children while Howard is gone?
(a) Overseas to be with Howard.
(b) To Texas, to start a new life.
(c) Nowhere; she stays with Mrs. Wendall.
(d) Back to Detroit.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pat comes home after witnessing Maureen's actions, what does he do?
2. Why is Howard fired from his job?
3. How does Loretta feel about Howard's absence?
4. What does Jules focus on after his father's death?
5. Why does Jules steal a car?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)