|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Howard do for Loretta?
(a) He gives her a job at his restaurant.
(b) He helps her cover up Bernie's murder.
(c) He loans her money to get out of town.
(d) He gives her medication to sell.
2. Who watches Loretta's children while Loretta goes out to make money?
(a) Brock watches them.
(b) Loretta brings them to work with her.
(c) Mrs. Wendall watches them.
(d) Jules cares for himself and the two girls.
3. What happens to Maureen's notebook?
(a) She loses it.
(b) Her little sister destroys it.
(c) Her mother throws it away.
(d) It is stolen.
4. Why does Loretta feed Maureen sweets every day?
(a) Loretta wants to keep Maureen too weak to run away.
(b) Loretta feels that Maureen is too thin.
(c) Loretta thinks that if Maureen is eating, she is fine.
(d) Loretta wants to make Maureen happy with her favorite foods.
5. Why is Jules so anxious at the bank when cashing Bernard's checks?
(a) He doesn't believe that the checks are real.
(b) Jules is afraid he will be robbed.
(c) Jules has forged the check amounts.
(d) Jules is waiting for his accomplice to rob the bank.
6. How does Loretta make money to support herself and her children?
(a) She waits tables at a local diner.
(b) She becomes a prostitute.
(c) She sells drugs.
(d) She sings at a local nightclub.
7. Who burns down the barn?
8. Why do Jules, Maureen, and Betty fail to bond with their parents?
(a) Loretta blames her children for her financial problems.
(b) Their pervasive financial problems don't leave much time for bonding.
(c) Loretta's children blame her for the abuse they suffered at the hands of Mrs. Wendall.
(d) Loretta never wanted to have children.
9. Who is Pat Furlong?
(a) Howard's former employer.
(b) A police officer investigating Howard's death.
(c) Loretta's new husband.
(d) A reverend at the local church.
10. What does Loretta discover when she visits her father after moving away?
(a) That he is missing.
(b) That he has gotten remarried.
(c) That he has been institutionalized.
(d) That he has been killed.
11. Who is Bernie Malin?
(a) A boy Loretta has been seeing.
(b) One of Brock's friends.
(c) One of Loretta's father's friends.
(d) Loretta's cousin.
12. How does Loretta feel about Howard's absence?
(a) She is lost without him.
(b) She misses him, but is able to cope.
(c) She does not miss him, surprisingly.
(d) She is angry at him, and glad he is gone.
13. Who is Maureen?
(a) Howard's sister.
(b) Mrs. Wendall's niece.
(c) Loretta's older daughter.
(d) Brock's aunt.
14. What happens to Jules on one of the nights when he runs away?
(a) He is hit by a car.
(b) He witnesses the aftermath of a plane crash.
(c) He gets lost in a burning building.
(d) He is kidnapped.
15. How does Maureen feel about her parents?
(a) She admires them for their hard work.
(b) She loves them, and pities them.
(c) She loves them, and is happy at home.
(d) She hates them for keeping the family mired in poverty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Loretta do after Mrs. Wendall is gone?
2. Who cooks and waits up for Pat every night?
3. Why does Faye take Jules home when she meets him?
4. Where does Loretta rent a room?
5. What kind of a child is Jules?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)