Children of Silence, Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
1. In what city does most of the novel take place?
2. During what years does the novel take place?
(a) 1937 to 1967.
(b) 1917 to 1937.
(c) 1957 to 1977.
(d) 1967 to 1987.
3. Who is the first major character to be introduced?
4. How old is Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
5. What are the rumors circulating about Loretta at the beginning of the novel?
(a) She associates herself with the wrong kind of boys.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) Her father has been arrested.
(d) She is an alcoholic.
6. Who is Brock, in relation to Loretta?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her son.
7. Who is Bernie Malin?
(a) One of Loretta's father's friends.
(b) Loretta's cousin.
(c) One of Brock's friends.
(d) A boy Loretta has been seeing.
8. What happens to Bernie?
(a) He is hit by a car and killed.
(b) He contracts a terminal illness.
(c) He is shot and killed.
(d) His sister is kidnapped.
This section contains 5,339 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)