|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the last person accounted for before the lottery begins?
(a) Old man Warner.
(b) Tessie Hutchinson.
(c) Mrs. Dunbar.
(d) The tall Watson boy.
2. What finally happens with Tessie?
(a) She has a heart attack and dies.
(b) She must dodge all the stones.
(c) She has to catch and throw back the stones.
(d) All the villagers stone her to death.
3. What does Mrs. Delacroix have in her hands?
(a) A huge stone.
(b) The Hutchinson baby.
(c) A chocolate cake.
(d) The lottery flag.
4. What does Tessie's paper mean?
(a) She has been chosen.
(b) She gets to select the winner.
(c) She will have to draw again.
(d) She is out of the lottery.
5. What is Mr. Summers' position in the town?
(a) He is the religious leader of the village.
(b) He is the superintendant of schools.
(c) He is the town leader and owner of a coal business.
(d) He is the custodian of the town square.
6. What is the date of the lottery?
(a) July 4th
(b) June 27th
(c) April 1st
(d) February 2nd
7. How do most of the villagers appear to regard the lottery?
(a) They hate it.
(b) They look forward to it.
(c) They are confused about it.
(d) They do not like the suspense.
8. Is Mr. Summers exempt from the lottery?
(a) Yes. But he makes a pretense of drawing anyway.
(b) Yes. Otherwise they would have to get a new administrator every year.
(c) No. But he is the only one allowed to look into the box while drawing.
(d) No. He calls out his own name, too.
9. What is the traditional job of the village boys on Lottery Day?
(a) They play an exhibition football game before the lottery.
(b) They form an honor guard for the lottery box.
(c) They collect stones and bring them to the town square.
(d) They keep the younger children off the grass.
10. Which stones are the most prized for use in the lottery?
(a) Hard, jagged ones.
(b) Heavy, flat ones.
(c) Smooth, round ones.
(d) Shiny, decorative ones.
11. What are some villages rumored to be doing with their lottery?
(a) Holding parades before the lottery.
(b) Discontinuing it.
(c) Adding a consolation prize.
(d) Combining it with another holiday.
12. What sound is heard as the papers are opened?
(a) A collective sigh.
(b) Nothing. It is very quiet.
(c) The women speaking all at once.
(d) The school marching band.
13. What happens to Tessie first?
(a) They present her with roses.
(b) A stone hits her on the side of her head.
(c) She is given a tiara.
(d) The women form a circle around her to change her clothes.
14. What is in the black box?
(a) Slips of paper.
(d) Wood chips.
15. Though they do not remember all the ancient ritual, what do the villagers all remember?
(a) The song.
(b) The stones.
(c) The burning of the box.
(d) The march.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do they assemble when it is time to begin the ceremony?
2. What is Tessie Hutchinson doing when she realizes Bill has the marked slip?
3. What is revealing about the social order of the village?
4. What is being used for the first time this year?
5. What does Mr. Summers carry onto the village square?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)