|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Abstracts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do they assemble when it is time to begin the ceremony?
(a) In double file lines.
(b) Coming together in family groups.
(c) Making a huge circle in the town square.
(d) Crowding forward to try and be first to draw.
2. What is revealing about the social order of the village?
(a) The men are drinking ale.
(b) The children and running around unsupervised.
(c) The women hold a superior position.
(d) The men and women are not together.
3. What does the village look like on the morning of the lottery?
(a) It is gloomy and cold looking with gray houses.
(b) It is in the sun with neat houses, green lawns, and flowers everywhere.
(c) It is very metropolitan with shiny glass commercial buildings.
(d) It is dusty and dry with the paint peeling off the houses.
4. What accusation does Tessie make to Joe Summers?
(a) That he cheated when he drew his own slip.
(b) That he doesn't like her and arranged for her to get the dot.
(c) That he goes first every year to lessen his chances of getting the dot.
(d) That someone else should draw for him.
5. What is Jackson satirizing by having the children participate so willingly in the stoning?
(a) Hansel and Gretle.
(b) Bringing children up with adults' biases.
(c) Well behaved children.
(d) Parents who let their children run their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What element of surprise does Jackson use in the story?
2. Why does the lottery begin late in this village?
3. What is on each of the children's papers?
4. What is on Tessie Hutchinson's paper?
5. Though they do not remember all the ancient ritual, what do the villagers all remember?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)