|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Abstracts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a large village, how long might the lottery last?
(a) An hour because the slips were mailed to the people.
(b) Not long because of better equipment.
(c) As much as seven days.
(d) All day because they have more activities in the square.
2. What does the village look like on the morning of the lottery?
(a) It is gloomy and cold looking with gray houses.
(b) It is in the sun with neat houses, green lawns, and flowers everywhere.
(c) It is dusty and dry with the paint peeling off the houses.
(d) It is very metropolitan with shiny glass commercial buildings.
3. What is the procedure after Bill reveals that his family is the one?
(a) The youngest Hutchinson will claim the prize.
(b) The village people will vote for their favorite Hutchinson family member.
(c) Slips will be put in the box for every member of the Hutchinson family.
(d) The Hutchinson family will draw straws to see who takes the prize.
4. What element of surprise does Jackson use in the story?
(a) That Tessie sacrifices herself for her children.
(b) That the community does not know what the
(c) Winning a lottery is usually a good thing and not something to dread.
(d) That the government steps in and stops the lottery.
5. When Mr. Summers says it is time, what does everyone do?
(a) Look at their papers and hold them up.
(b) Tear their papers into small pieces.
(c) Drop their papers in the box.
(d) Look at their papers and not show them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the instruction given to the villagers about what to do after they have drawn?
2. Who tells the boys what to do on the morning of the lottery?
3. What is Mrs. Hutchinson's behavior as she makes her way to her family?
4. What accusation does Tessie make to Joe Summers?
5. What is Jackson saying about tradition.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)