|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Abstracts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tessie doing in the center of the circle of her friends, neighbors, and family?
(a) Holding out her hands and crying that it is not fair.
(b) Gloating that she is the winner.
(c) Sitting on a makeshift throne.
(d) Dancing the lottery jig.
2. When Mr. Summers says it is time, what does everyone do?
(a) Drop their papers in the box.
(b) Tear their papers into small pieces.
(c) Look at their papers and not show them.
(d) Look at their papers and hold them up.
3. In the story, what idea does Shirley Jackson carefully avoid?
(a) The odds of winning.
(b) The time it takes to hold the lottery.
(d) Winning the lottery.
4. Who will participate in the ritual?
(a) Only the men of the village.
(b) The women because Tessie is a woman.
(c) All Tessie's friends, neighbors, and family members.
(d) The children only because it is their holiday.
5. What is Jackson saying about tradition.
(a) That tradition is better than creating new ways.
(b) That it is necessary to keep a culture alive.
(c) That very few people question it.
(d) That it is bad luck to change it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the lottery held each year?
2. What finally happens with Tessie?
3. What does the lottery hint at?
4. Though they do not remember all the ancient ritual, what do the villagers all remember?
5. What is Mr. Zanini's distinction at the lottery?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)