|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daru say he will wait for before he will take the Arab to the next destination?
2. What does Daru think he hears around the schoolhouse during the night?
3. As Balducci prepares to leave, what does he want to do that Daru tells him not to bother doing?
4. How many workers are there to patrol the entire territory and keep it safe?
5. Why does Daru say that he is not worried about the enemy attacking the school house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is isolation portrayed by the character Daru?
2. When Daru sits on his bed and looks into the Arab's face what does he see?
3. How does Daru offer the Arab his freedom?
4. Daru's decision shows that Daru feels that what is more important than the crimes committed by an individual?
5. How does Daru know the Arab does not fall asleep immediately?
6. How can Daru tell that one of the two men approaching the schoolhouse knows the region well?
7. Why is Daru no longer a part of a community of men?
8. What does Balducci tell Daru that surprises him?
9. What suggestion does Balducci make to Daru?
10. Describe how the character Balducci looks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What conclusions can be drawn about the morality of the Arab from this story? Support your conclusions with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what you think life would be life for Daru living in such a remote small schoolhouse. Be sure to include details from the story to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing why Daru would feel so alone at the end of the story considering he is in an area he loves. Use information from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)