|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Daru put the gun when he is cooking?
2. What is the weather like when the two men wake up in the morning?
3. How many workers are there to patrol the entire territory and keep it safe?
4. How does Daru feel after reading the message on the blackboard?
5. Who did Daru offend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Daru know the Arab does not fall asleep immediately?
2. How can Daru tell that one of the two men approaching the schoolhouse knows the region well?
3. Describe what the author falsely foreshadows during the sleepless night the two men spend together.
4. What kind of element does the continued isolation imagery invoked in the story?
5. Describe how the character Balducci looks.
6. How does Daru feel about taking the prisoner to TInguit?
7. When will the villagers return to the schoolhouse?
8. What does Balducci tell Daru that surprises him?
9. Why does Balducci warn Daru to keep his gun close?
10. How does Daru offer the Arab his freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write in diary format how Daru must be feeling throughout the text. Include entries for each major event from the story. Use information from the text to ensure your accounts are accurate.
Essay Topic 2
Emotions are referred to throughout the story, though neither of the characters directly discuss how they are feeling with each other. Do you think this writing style works with this story? Support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the author uses the literary tool of foreshadowing throughout this short story. Include specific examples from the story to support your description.
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)