|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why prevents the Arab from taking the tea from Daru at first?
2. What is the schoolmaster watching out the schoolhouse window?
3. When Daru returns back to the classroom, what is the Arab doing?
4. Which character is a gendarme for the French National Police?
5. How many pupils does Daru have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daru explain will happen if the Arab chooses the southern route?
2. What does Balducci tell Daru that surprises him?
3. How does Daru offer the Arab his freedom?
4. What type of story could this be considered?
5. When will the villagers return to the schoolhouse?
6. How can Daru tell that one of the two men approaching the schoolhouse knows the region well?
7. Describe how the character Balducci looks.
8. When do Daru and the Arab seem to be experiencing the same emotion?
9. What does the imagery of increasing the wind cause?
10. Why is Daru surprised he is bothered by the presence of the stranger in his room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of humanity as it relates to this story. Include specific examples from the story to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Daru finds it odd that he is bothered having a stranger in his house overnight since he was a soldier and slept with strangers all of the time. Explain how having an accused killer stay in the same place as you to sleep would be significantly different than being a soldier.
Essay Topic 3
Emotions are referred to throughout the story, though neither of the characters directly discuss how they are feeling with each other. Do you think this writing style works with this story? Support your opinion.
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)