|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daru hold out for the Arab?
2. What is the schoolmaster watching out the schoolhouse window?
3. What food does Daru make for the Arab?
4. When Daru returns back to the classroom, what is the Arab doing?
5. How long did Balducci tell Daru it took him and the Arab to make the trek to the schoolhouse in the snow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imagery reminds the readers of the setting?
2. What does the imagery of increasing the wind cause?
3. How does the Arab walk behind Balducci?
4. What feeling does Daru have upon learning what crime the Arab is accused of committing?
5. Write one-sentence summary of the story?
6. How does Daru feel as he thinks about Balducci as he remembers him while waiting for the Arab to awaken?
7. How does Daru offer the Arab his freedom?
8. Why is Daru no longer a part of a community of men?
9. Where is the final decision left as to the Arab's fate left?
10. What does the end of the Arab's freedom cause in Daru?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Arab and Daru do not talk on the trip to the plateau much. Why don't you think they spend a lot of time talking? Use information from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the author uses the literary tool of foreshadowing throughout this short story. Include specific examples from the story to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
As Daru heads home, he is uncertain, but then he becomes sure in his decision. Why do you think he becomes more certain in his decision? Use information from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)