|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Daru request to be stationed after the war?
(a) Post in the furtherest north post
(b) The base of the foothills
(c) With many other people
(d) In the village
2. What does the Arab ask Daru if he is?
(a) The police
(b) The judge
(c) The warden
(d) The jury
3. What does Daru tell the Arab to do in his own language?
4. How far is it from the schoolhouse to Tinguit?
(a) 3 kilometers
(b) 15 kilometers
(c) 20 kilometers
(d) 10 kilometers
5. What crime has the Arab committed?
(a) Stole from his cousin
(b) Killed his cousin
(c) Stole from his wife
(d) Killed his wife
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daru make for his visitors?
2. Which of the following did not occur during the drought?
3. Why prevents the Arab from taking the tea from Daru at first?
4. What does Daru find as he finds his way back to the schoolhouse after hearing sounds?
5. What does the Arab say his cousin did?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the character Balducci looks.
2. What kind of element does the continued isolation imagery invoked in the story?
3. What literary term describes how Daru feels caught between considering the Arab's crimes and his humanity?
4. What type of story could this be considered?
5. What happens when Daru wakens the Arab?
6. How does the reader conclude that Daru is held responsible for the final result?
7. What is the only thing near the schoolhouse which might be harvested?
8. How long does Daru estimate it will take the travelers to arrive at the schoolhouse from the first time he notices them?
9. Why have the villagers stopped coming to the schoolhouse?
10. Why does Daru hope the Arab had fled the schoolhouse?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)