|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which direction does the Arab finally choose?
2. What does Daru collect for the journey they will be taking?
3. What does Daru hope the Arab is doing in the middle of the night?
(a) Going to the police headquarters
(b) Running away
(c) Making food
(d) Going to the restroom
4. How does Daru feel about the Arab's crimes?
5. Who does Daru think of as he looks out over the deserted land beyond the plateau?
(b) The police station
(c) The Arab
(d) His students
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is considered the protagonist of this story?
2. What does the Arab say his cousin did?
3. How long did Balducci tell Daru it took him and the Arab to make the trek to the schoolhouse in the snow?
4. What surrounds Daru where he is now?
5. Which direction did the two men head after they were finished with their rest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only thing near the schoolhouse which might be harvested?
2. What two things is Daru torn between which causes him frustration?
3. Why is Daru surprised he is bothered by the presence of the stranger in his room?
4. What will happen if the Arab chooses the nomads?
5. What does Daru explain to the Arab will be happening to the Arab?
6. What feeling does Daru have upon learning what crime the Arab is accused of committing?
7. What does the sense of anticipation in the reader mimic?
8. What type of story could this be considered?
9. Why is it appropriate that Daru dressed like a hunter?
10. Describe what the author falsely foreshadows during the sleepless night the two men spend together.
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)