|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the sentence, Daru offers the Arab his freedom, Daru is an example of which part of speech?
(c) Proper noun
2. Flood is to rain as blizzard is to:
3. What does Daru assume the Arab will do when he leaves the schoolhouse?
(a) Clear a path for their journey
(b) Use the bathroom
(d) Harm him
4. Which of the following would be a synonym for violent?
5. In what year did the Algerian war referenced in this story take place?
6. The imagery of throwing pebbles in the snow reminds the reader of which story element?
7. Which of the following words has a prefix?
8. Which of the following is the best definition for theme?
9. Chaotic landscape is to nomads as low plains is to:
10. What could be said is used by the author to represent the anxiousness of Daru?
(a) False foreshawdowing
11. What do both the reader and Daru discover is happening during the long, lonely, sleepless night?
(a) Natural events
(b) Bonding between Daru and the Arab
(c) War battles are building
12. Which of the following is an example of possible foreshadowing of a violent end for the Arab?
(a) Daru waking up the Arab who is frightened
(b) Daru living alone in the schoolhouse
(c) Daru throwing pebbles in the snow
(d) Daru putting on a hunting jacket over his sweater
13. Who is the first character to suggest that a war is imminent?
14. In this phrase, hunting jacket, the word hunting is an example of which part of speech?
15. When words are combined and contradict each other it is called:
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a synonym for the term paradox?
2. Which word best describes what Daru did with the orders given to him by Balducci?
3. Which of the following would be the best antonym for the term boulder?
4. Which of the following would be an antonym for chaotic?
5. Which of the following would be the best definition for the term predicament?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)