|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the villages in relation to the schoolhouse?
(a) Above the schoolhouse
(b) The schoolhouse is not near any villages
(c) Beneath the schoolhouse
(d) Beside the schoolhouse
2. What is there talk of in the area, which requires Balducci to return right away?
(a) A murder
(b) A revolt
(c) An attack on the schoolhouse
(d) A new blizzard
3. Who would be waiting for the Arab in the East?
4. What crime has the Arab committed?
(a) Killed his wife
(b) Killed his cousin
(c) Stole from his cousin
(d) Stole from his wife
5. To what city is the Arab to be taken?
(a) El Ameur
6. When Daru returns back to the classroom, what is the Arab doing?
(a) Lying down reading
(b) Sitting drinking tea
(c) Sitting down and eating a snack
(d) Lying down staring at the ceiling
7. What does Daru say he will wait for before he will take the Arab to the next destination?
(a) A declaration of war
(b) The snow to melt
(c) New supplies
(d) Another blizzard
8. What does Daru not want to do?
(a) Walk in the snow
(b) Turn the Arab into the police
(c) Talk to the Arab
(d) Continue as teacher at the schoolhouse
9. What does Daru see on the blackboard in the classroom?
(a) The paperwork from Balducci
(b) A threat
(c) Nothing it is empty
(d) Just his drawings of the French rivers
10. How long did the drought last before the blizzard began?
(a) 9 months
(b) 8 months
(c) 7 months
(d) 10 months
11. What does Daru collect for the journey they will be taking?
12. How does Daru feel about the Arab's crimes?
13. How far is it from El Ameur to the schoolhouse?
(a) 4 kilometers
(b) 3 kilometers
(c) 5 kilometers
(d) 2 kilometers
14. What does Daru tell the Arab when he wakes him up?
(a) Let's eat breakfast
(b) Run away
(c) Stay right here
(d) Don't be afraid
15. In what month does this story begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daru feel when the Arab coughs behind him?
2. How far of a walk would it be to reach the Nomads?
3. Who does Daru think of as he looks out over the deserted land beyond the plateau?
4. In what geographical region is the schoolhouse located?
5. Which direction does the Arab finally choose?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)