|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason why Gabriel begins to sleep through the night?
2. Why does Jonas take Gabriel into the trees?
3. Who decids that identical twins would be too complicated?
4. What emotion does Jonas experience when he receivs the memory of Christmas with family and friends?
5. Because Gabriel is doing so well, where do the nurturers decide that Gabriel must be taken?
Essay Topic 1
The Giver gives Jonas the experience of snow and sunshine. Discuss the reasons why snow is not permitted in the community. Discus why sunshine is associated with the painful things the Elder mentions. Compare and contrast the emotional and physical effects of snow and sunshine.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how and why the old Receiver failed at her job. Use examples from the text. Discuss how her failure affects Jonas's confidence? Explain further how the role of positive role models affect success in the youth.
Essay Topic 3
Gabriel has pale eyes; Jonas has pale eyes; The Giver has pale eyes. Describe the ways in which the characters in The Giver use physical characteristics to impart, judge, and interpret meaning. In what ways do Americans use physical characteristics, including skin color, to impart meaning and to judge?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)