|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do parents move to after their children have grown up?
2. What happens to Fiona's hair once Jonas and Fiona arrived at the House of Old in Chapter 12?
3. What happens to twins born into the community?
4. What does the Giver beg Jonas to do when Jonas walks into the Annex to see him in Chapter 15?
5. What does Jonas suggest The Giver do so his load will not be so heavy?
Essay Topic 1
Jonas dreams of "Stirrings" in his sleep. His mother gives him a pill to numb the feelings he experiences. Think of the pharmaceutical industry in the United States today. How is the industry masking certain health issues. Make the comparison/connection of today's society to Jonas and his mother's reaction to his "Stirrings."
Essay Topic 2
Jonas takes on the memory of The Giver to ease his pain. Does the ability to blunt pain make for a more peaceful, easier life? Or, does muting the feelings associated with living a normal life sacrifice the freedom of choice? Cite examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Two readers learn about the importance of following "The Rules." However, some rules are routinely broken. Discuss the rules that are routinely broken in The Giver, then compare them to the rules of American society that are routinely broken. How does breaking the law, even minor laws, affect society as a whole?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)