|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what position does Jonas find The Giver in many times?
2. Who decids that identical twins would be too complicated?
3. What does Gabriel wake up in the night doing in Chapter 12?
4. What action of defiance does Jonas take after he lies to his parents about understanding the word "love"?
5. To where does Jonas plan an escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jonas is reluctant to go back to the Annex because of the emotions he felt during the memory of war. The Giver is gentle with Jonas. What does he do to comfort Jonas after the memory of war?
2. What memory does The Giver give to Jonas to help him understand color?
3. What will happens to the identical twins?
4. What does Jonas want to watch his Father do at the beginning of Chapter 19? How does the Giver make this happen?
5. Does The Giver ever wish to be released? Explain.
6. Why does Jonas take Gabriel with him on his journey to a new life?
7. Why did the old Receiver fail?
8. What does Jonas decide to do after he finds out that his Father is a murderer?
9. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
10. What happens to Jonas and Gabriel as the road becomes more difficult to ride upon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas receives the memory of war. He experiences pain, death, and destruction. He becomes highly affected and emotional. In what ways does war shape a community? In what ways does it bring people together and also tear them apart? Cite examples, such as Jonas's reaction, from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the ending of The Giver. Do you agree with how the story ends? Cite one piece of evidence from the text that you relate to and agree with. What is the central message of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Jonas is involved in volunteer work. He works in the House of the Old with Fiona and Asher. Discuss the importance of volunteer work in the community of The Giver. Next, discuss the meaning of volunteer work in America and how volunteering creates a compassionate society.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)