|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memory does Jonas transfer to Gabriel as they travel?
2. Jonas asks The Giver if he has ever had what member of family?
3. What does Lily want to talk about back at the house in Chapter 17?
4. How do the children react to Jonas when he does not want to play the game in the field?
5. Because Gabriel is doing so well, where do the nurturers decide that Gabriel must be taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ceremony of Twelve is a rite of passage. Jonas is nervous and Lily is excited. Discuss the rites of passage that the youth of America experience. In what ways are they similar to the rites of passage in the community in The Giver? In what ways are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how and why the old Receiver failed at her job. Use examples from the text. Discuss how her failure affects Jonas's confidence? Explain further how the role of positive role models affect success in the youth.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the moment where Jonas realizes that his Father has killed the smaller of the identical twin babies. Describe this realization in detail and cite the text. Make the connection of when a child realizes his/her parents have not been honest. Does this happen often in the life of children and if so, how do Jonas's coping skills reflect how society has been conditioned to deal with disappointment.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)