|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Jonas ask his parent, who replied with amusement and chastise him for inappropriate use of words?
2. What animal, which lost its mate, does The Giver gave Jonas a new memory of?
3. What two items does Jonas take with him when he leaves the community?
4. What does the Giver give Jonas a memory of that gives Jonas great pain?
5. What is Jonas's reaction when The Giver begs for forgiveness after he gives Jonas the war memory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Giver gives Jonas the memory of color, starting with the color red taken from the dream of snow and sledding. Discuss the significance of why the community does not retain color and memory. Does living in muted gray make a more simple life?
Essay Topic 2
The Giver gives Jonas the experience of snow and sunshine. Discuss the reasons why snow is not permitted in the community. Discus why sunshine is associated with the painful things the Elder mentions. Compare and contrast the emotional and physical effects of snow and sunshine.
Essay Topic 3
The Elders control and regulate the activities of the community in The Giver. In America, the older generations is similarly in charge of the younger. Write a description of reversal where the young are in more positions of power and authority. What would America look like? What societal characteristics might improve, and what might suffer?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)