|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jonas asks The Giver if he has ever had what member of family?
2. What memories will The Giver transfer to Jonas to prepare him for his escape?
3. Because Gabriel is doing so well, where do the nurturers decide that Gabriel must be taken?
4. Where do parents move to after their children have grown up?
5. What happened to the community when the old Receiver was released?
Essay Topic 1
Jonas asks his parents "Do you love me?" His parents rely with amusement but then chastise him for using the wrong word. Jonas then lies to his parents. Discuss whether or not this lie is justified for the sake of self-preservation. Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the moment where Jonas realizes that his Father has killed the smaller of the identical twin babies. Describe this realization in detail and cite the text. Make the connection of when a child realizes his/her parents have not been honest. Does this happen often in the life of children and if so, how do Jonas's coping skills reflect how society has been conditioned to deal with disappointment.
Essay Topic 3
Jonas is anticipating the Ceremony of Twelve with fear. He discusses his fear with his family when he returns home. Write about an event where you felt tremendous anticipation. How did you soothe your feelings? Did you discuss your feelings with your family or did you find another way to express yourself?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)