Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jonas asks The Giver if he has ever had what member of family?
2. What memories will The Giver transfer to Jonas to prepare him for his escape?
3. Because Gabriel is doing so well, where do the nurturers decide that Gabriel must be taken?
4. Where do parents move to after their children have grown up?
5. What happened to the community when the old Receiver was released?
Essay Topic 1
Jonas witnesses children playing a pretend game of war. Watching them upsets Jonas. Write an essay on violent movies in American society. How does the mere pretending of painful events affect audiences? Is pretending appropriate in gaining understanding or are we exacerbating violence and war, and essentially sending the message that violence is the solution to conflict, instead of diplomacy.
Essay Topic 2
Jonas's training becomes painful. As a result, Jonas realizes that the community does not truly experience emotions. In what ways does the absence of pain protect a community? Discuss anger, love, happiness, and pain as necessary opposites that create balance and perspective in the human condition.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, The Giver describes to Jonas that he is weighted by memories of the world and of the past Receivers. Discuss a significant event in recent world history. In what way has that memory "lived on" long after the event has transpired.
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)