|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Jonas watch take place right before his eyes during the memory of war?
2. What object does Father take out of the cupboard after the identical twins are weighted?
3. What game do the children play out in the field where Asher and Jonas are playing in Chapter 17?
4. What does Jonas give Gabriel to ease his pain?
5. What does Father offer Jonas to ease his physical pain after the sledding ride?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of Jonas receiving the memory of war?
2. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
3. What memory does The Giver give to Jonas to help him understand color?
4. Why did the old Receiver fail?
5. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
6. Why does Jonas take Gabriel with him on his journey to a new life?
7. What happens to Fiona's hair as Jonas and Fiona travel to the House of Old in Chapter 12?
8. Why did the Elders remove colors from the community?
9. Jonas and Gabriel began to get hungry on their journey. How does Jonas alleviate this feeling, and is it successful?
10. What does Jonas decide to do after he finds out that his Father is a murderer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas's training becomes painful. As a result, Jonas realizes that the community does not truly experience emotions. In what ways does the absence of pain protect a community? Discuss anger, love, happiness, and pain as necessary opposites that create balance and perspective in the human condition.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Two readers learn about the importance of following "The Rules." However, some rules are routinely broken. Discuss the rules that are routinely broken in The Giver, then compare them to the rules of American society that are routinely broken. How does breaking the law, even minor laws, affect society as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Jonas asks his parents "Do you love me?" His parents rely with amusement but then chastise him for using the wrong word. Jonas then lies to his parents. Discuss whether or not this lie is justified for the sake of self-preservation. Use examples from the text.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)