|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the council add the no release rule to the list for Jonas?
2. What does the Giver give Jonas a memory of that gives Jonas great pain?
3. Where do parents move to after their children have grown up?
4. What do Jonas and Gabriel see in the trees on their way to a new life?
5. What will essentially happen if Jonas leaves the community?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jonas and Gabriel as the road becomes more difficult to ride upon?
2. Why does Jonas take Gabriel with him on his journey to a new life?
3. What is Jonas feeling as he throws a tantrum on The Giver's couch after seeing his Father release a twin?
4. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
5. Jonas and Gabriel began to get hungry on their journey. How does Jonas alleviate this feeling, and is it successful?
6. What does Jonas want to watch his Father do at the beginning of Chapter 19? How does the Giver make this happen?
7. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
8. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
9. What does Jonas decide to do after he finds out that his Father is a murderer?
10. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Elders control and regulate the activities of the community in The Giver. In America, the older generations is similarly in charge of the younger. Write a description of reversal where the young are in more positions of power and authority. What would America look like? What societal characteristics might improve, and what might suffer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the moment where Jonas realizes that his Father has killed the smaller of the identical twin babies. Describe this realization in detail and cite the text. Make the connection of when a child realizes his/her parents have not been honest. Does this happen often in the life of children and if so, how do Jonas's coping skills reflect how society has been conditioned to deal with disappointment.
Essay Topic 3
The Giver gives Jonas the memory of color, starting with the color red taken from the dream of snow and sledding. Discuss the significance of why the community does not retain color and memory. Does living in muted gray make a more simple life?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)