|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jonas when he is sledding in Chapter 14?
2. What is the reason why Gabriel begins to sleep through the night?
3. What animal, which lost its mate, does The Giver gave Jonas a new memory of?
4. What memory does the Giver give Jonas before he leaves on his journey?
5. When did the council add the no release rule to the list for Jonas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jonas and Gabriel began to get hungry on their journey. How does Jonas alleviate this feeling, and is it successful?
2. What memory does The Giver give to Jonas to help him understand color?
3. Why does Jonas take Gabriel with him on his journey to a new life?
4. What is Jonas feeling as he throws a tantrum on The Giver's couch after seeing his Father release a twin?
5. What does Jonas want to watch his Father do at the beginning of Chapter 19? How does the Giver make this happen?
6. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
7. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
8. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
9. Why did the Elders remove colors from the community?
10. Why did the old Receiver fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Two readers learn about the importance of following "The Rules." However, some rules are routinely broken. Discuss the rules that are routinely broken in The Giver, then compare them to the rules of American society that are routinely broken. How does breaking the law, even minor laws, affect society as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Jonas's training becomes painful. As a result, Jonas realizes that the community does not truly experience emotions. In what ways does the absence of pain protect a community? Discuss anger, love, happiness, and pain as necessary opposites that create balance and perspective in the human condition.
Essay Topic 3
Jonas dreams of "Stirrings" in his sleep. His mother gives him a pill to numb the feelings he experiences. Think of the pharmaceutical industry in the United States today. How is the industry masking certain health issues. Make the comparison/connection of today's society to Jonas and his mother's reaction to his "Stirrings."
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)