|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first color Jonas is beginning to see?
2. Which character is Jonas worried won't understand the concept of Release?
3. What does the Giver beg Jonas to do when Jonas walks into the Annex to see him in Chapter 15?
4. How does Jonas feel as he watches his Father do something to the smaller twin?
5. In what position does Jonas find The Giver in many times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jonas feeling as he throws a tantrum on The Giver's couch after seeing his Father release a twin?
2. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
3. Why did the Elders remove colors from the community?
4. What happens as a result of Jonas receiving the memory of war?
5. What will happens to the identical twins?
6. What does Jonas decide to do after he finds out that his Father is a murderer?
7. Why did the old Receiver fail?
8. Jonas and Gabriel began to get hungry on their journey. How does Jonas alleviate this feeling, and is it successful?
9. Why does Jonas take Gabriel with him on his journey to a new life?
10. Why is Gabriel sleeping well through the night by Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas dreams of "Stirrings" in his sleep. His mother gives him a pill to numb the feelings he experiences. Think of the pharmaceutical industry in the United States today. How is the industry masking certain health issues. Make the comparison/connection of today's society to Jonas and his mother's reaction to his "Stirrings."
Essay Topic 2
The Giver gives Jonas the memory of color, starting with the color red taken from the dream of snow and sledding. Discuss the significance of why the community does not retain color and memory. Does living in muted gray make a more simple life?
Essay Topic 3
Jonas is anticipating the Ceremony of Twelve with fear. He discusses his fear with his family when he returns home. Write about an event where you felt tremendous anticipation. How did you soothe your feelings? Did you discuss your feelings with your family or did you find another way to express yourself?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)