|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonas give Gabriel to ease his pain?
2. What do Jonas and Gabriel see in the trees on their way to a new life?
3. What memory does the Giver first give to Jonas to ease his heavy load?
4. What is Jonas's reaction when The Giver begs for forgiveness after he gives Jonas the war memory?
5. What is the reason why Gabriel begins to sleep through the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Elders remove colors from the community?
2. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
3. What memory does The Giver give to Jonas to help him understand color?
4. What will happens to the identical twins?
5. What happens to Jonas and Gabriel as the road becomes more difficult to ride upon?
6. What memory does the Giver give to Jonas in Chapter 15 that takes away some of The Giver's pain?
7. Does The Giver ever wish to be released? Explain.
8. Why is Gabriel sleeping well through the night by Chapter 16?
9. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
10. Why does Jonas take Gabriel with him on his journey to a new life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas receives the memory of war. He experiences pain, death, and destruction. He becomes highly affected and emotional. In what ways does war shape a community? In what ways does it bring people together and also tear them apart? Cite examples, such as Jonas's reaction, from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Gabriel has pale eyes; Jonas has pale eyes; The Giver has pale eyes. Describe the ways in which the characters in The Giver use physical characteristics to impart, judge, and interpret meaning. In what ways do Americans use physical characteristics, including skin color, to impart meaning and to judge?
Essay Topic 3
The Giver gives Jonas the memory of color, starting with the color red taken from the dream of snow and sledding. Discuss the significance of why the community does not retain color and memory. Does living in muted gray make a more simple life?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)