|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Giver beg Jonas to do when Jonas walks into the Annex to see him in Chapter 15?
2. What character does Jonas try to give an awareness of the color red to?
3. What question does Jonas ask his parent, who replied with amusement and chastise him for inappropriate use of words?
4. Why does Jonas take Gabriel into the trees?
5. What memories will The Giver transfer to Jonas to prepare him for his escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jonas and Gabriel began to get hungry on their journey. How does Jonas alleviate this feeling, and is it successful?
2. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
3. Why did the old Receiver fail?
4. What does Jonas decide to do after he finds out that his Father is a murderer?
5. What memory does the Giver give to Jonas in Chapter 15 that takes away some of The Giver's pain?
6. Why does Jonas take Gabriel with him on his journey to a new life?
7. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
8. What is Jonas feeling as he throws a tantrum on The Giver's couch after seeing his Father release a twin?
9. What does Jonas want to watch his Father do at the beginning of Chapter 19? How does the Giver make this happen?
10. What does Jonas's father do to the infant twin to release him/her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas witnesses children playing a pretend game of war. Watching them upsets Jonas. Write an essay on violent movies in American society. How does the mere pretending of painful events affect audiences? Is pretending appropriate in gaining understanding or are we exacerbating violence and war, and essentially sending the message that violence is the solution to conflict, instead of diplomacy.
Essay Topic 2
The Giver gives Jonas the experience of snow and sunshine. Discuss the reasons why snow is not permitted in the community. Discus why sunshine is associated with the painful things the Elder mentions. Compare and contrast the emotional and physical effects of snow and sunshine.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, The Giver describes to Jonas that he is weighted by memories of the world and of the past Receivers. Discuss a significant event in recent world history. In what way has that memory "lived on" long after the event has transpired.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)