|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonas feel now as a result of his knowledge of the former Receiver and her failure?
2. What emotion does Jonas experience when he receivs the memory of Christmas with family and friends?
3. What question does Jonas ask his parent, who replied with amusement and chastise him for inappropriate use of words?
4. What memory does Jonas give Gabriel during the night as he is trying to calm him down?
5. What does Jonas no longer care about as the journey gets progressively longer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jonas and Gabriel as the road becomes more difficult to ride upon?
2. What is Jonas feeling as he throws a tantrum on The Giver's couch after seeing his Father release a twin?
3. What happens to Fiona's hair as Jonas and Fiona travel to the House of Old in Chapter 12?
4. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
5. What does Jonas want to watch his Father do at the beginning of Chapter 19? How does the Giver make this happen?
6. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
7. Describe Jonas's parents reaction to the elephant memory that Jonas shares with them.
8. Does The Giver ever wish to be released? Explain.
9. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
10. What does Jonas's father do to the infant twin to release him/her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the moment where Jonas realizes that his Father has killed the smaller of the identical twin babies. Describe this realization in detail and cite the text. Make the connection of when a child realizes his/her parents have not been honest. Does this happen often in the life of children and if so, how do Jonas's coping skills reflect how society has been conditioned to deal with disappointment.
Essay Topic 2
Jonas is anticipating the Ceremony of Twelve with fear. He discusses his fear with his family when he returns home. Write about an event where you felt tremendous anticipation. How did you soothe your feelings? Did you discuss your feelings with your family or did you find another way to express yourself?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the ending of The Giver. Do you agree with how the story ends? Cite one piece of evidence from the text that you relate to and agree with. What is the central message of the novel?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)