|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Giver give Jonas a memory of that gives Jonas great pain?
2. What does Jonas feel now as a result of his knowledge of the former Receiver and her failure?
3. What happens to Fiona's hair once Jonas and Fiona arrived at the House of Old in Chapter 12?
4. What is the first color Jonas is beginning to see?
5. When Jonas is on The Giver's couch in Chapter 20, what does Jonas scream that he wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jonas feeling as he throws a tantrum on The Giver's couch after seeing his Father release a twin?
2. What will happens to the identical twins?
3. Why did the Elders remove colors from the community?
4. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
5. Does The Giver ever wish to be released? Explain.
6. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
7. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
8. Jonas is reluctant to go back to the Annex because of the emotions he felt during the memory of war. The Giver is gentle with Jonas. What does he do to comfort Jonas after the memory of war?
9. What happens to Jonas and Gabriel as the road becomes more difficult to ride upon?
10. What memory does the Giver give to Jonas in Chapter 15 that takes away some of The Giver's pain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gabriel has pale eyes; Jonas has pale eyes; The Giver has pale eyes. Describe the ways in which the characters in The Giver use physical characteristics to impart, judge, and interpret meaning. In what ways do Americans use physical characteristics, including skin color, to impart meaning and to judge?
Essay Topic 2
Jonas is involved in volunteer work. He works in the House of the Old with Fiona and Asher. Discuss the importance of volunteer work in the community of The Giver. Next, discuss the meaning of volunteer work in America and how volunteering creates a compassionate society.
Essay Topic 3
The Ceremony of Twelve is a rite of passage. Jonas is nervous and Lily is excited. Discuss the rites of passage that the youth of America experience. In what ways are they similar to the rites of passage in the community in The Giver? In what ways are they different?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)