|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jonas asks The Giver if he has ever had what member of family?
2. What emotion does Jonas experience when he receivs the memory of Christmas with family and friends?
3. When can The Giver apply for release?
4. What happens to the sled during the memory sequence in Chapter 12?
5. What memory does the Giver give Jonas before he leaves on his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Elders remove colors from the community?
2. What will happens to the identical twins?
3. Why is Gabriel sleeping well through the night by Chapter 16?
4. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
5. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
6. Describe Jonas's parents reaction to the elephant memory that Jonas shares with them.
7. What happens to Jonas and Gabriel as the road becomes more difficult to ride upon?
8. Why did the old Receiver fail?
9. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
10. What does Jonas want to watch his Father do at the beginning of Chapter 19? How does the Giver make this happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Giver gives Jonas the experience of snow and sunshine. Discuss the reasons why snow is not permitted in the community. Discus why sunshine is associated with the painful things the Elder mentions. Compare and contrast the emotional and physical effects of snow and sunshine.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Two readers learn about the importance of following "The Rules." However, some rules are routinely broken. Discuss the rules that are routinely broken in The Giver, then compare them to the rules of American society that are routinely broken. How does breaking the law, even minor laws, affect society as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Gabriel has pale eyes; Jonas has pale eyes; The Giver has pale eyes. Describe the ways in which the characters in The Giver use physical characteristics to impart, judge, and interpret meaning. In what ways do Americans use physical characteristics, including skin color, to impart meaning and to judge?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)