|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memory does the Giver first give to Jonas to ease his heavy load?
2. When Jonas is on The Giver's couch in Chapter 20, what does Jonas scream that he wants?
3. What happened to the last Receiver, and why did she fail?
4. What character does Jonas try to give an awareness of the color red to?
5. What does Jonas hoard in preparation for his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jonas is reluctant to go back to the Annex because of the emotions he felt during the memory of war. The Giver is gentle with Jonas. What does he do to comfort Jonas after the memory of war?
2. What happens as a result of Jonas receiving the memory of war?
3. Describe Jonas's parents reaction to the elephant memory that Jonas shares with them.
4. What will happens to the identical twins?
5. What is Jonas feeling as he throws a tantrum on The Giver's couch after seeing his Father release a twin?
6. Why did the old Receiver fail?
7. Why is Gabriel sleeping well through the night by Chapter 16?
8. What happens to Jonas and Gabriel as the road becomes more difficult to ride upon?
9. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
10. Why does Jonas take Gabriel with him on his journey to a new life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ceremony of Twelve is a rite of passage. Jonas is nervous and Lily is excited. Discuss the rites of passage that the youth of America experience. In what ways are they similar to the rites of passage in the community in The Giver? In what ways are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the moment where Jonas realizes that his Father has killed the smaller of the identical twin babies. Describe this realization in detail and cite the text. Make the connection of when a child realizes his/her parents have not been honest. Does this happen often in the life of children and if so, how do Jonas's coping skills reflect how society has been conditioned to deal with disappointment.
Essay Topic 3
Jonas is anticipating the Ceremony of Twelve with fear. He discusses his fear with his family when he returns home. Write about an event where you felt tremendous anticipation. How did you soothe your feelings? Did you discuss your feelings with your family or did you find another way to express yourself?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)