|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonas suggest The Giver do so his load will not be so heavy?
2. What happens to the landscape as Jonas rides upon it in Chapter 22?
3. What happened to the last Receiver, and why did she fail?
4. When did the council add the no release rule to the list for Jonas?
5. What happened to the community when the old Receiver was released?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
2. Why did the old Receiver fail?
3. Jonas and Gabriel began to get hungry on their journey. How does Jonas alleviate this feeling, and is it successful?
4. Jonas is reluctant to go back to the Annex because of the emotions he felt during the memory of war. The Giver is gentle with Jonas. What does he do to comfort Jonas after the memory of war?
5. What will happens to the identical twins?
6. What does Jonas's father do to the infant twin to release him/her?
7. Describe Jonas's parents reaction to the elephant memory that Jonas shares with them.
8. What is Jonas feeling as he throws a tantrum on The Giver's couch after seeing his Father release a twin?
9. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
10. What memory does the Giver give to Jonas in Chapter 15 that takes away some of The Giver's pain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas receives the memory of war. He experiences pain, death, and destruction. He becomes highly affected and emotional. In what ways does war shape a community? In what ways does it bring people together and also tear them apart? Cite examples, such as Jonas's reaction, from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how and why the old Receiver failed at her job. Use examples from the text. Discuss how her failure affects Jonas's confidence? Explain further how the role of positive role models affect success in the youth.
Essay Topic 3
The Ceremony of Twelve is a rite of passage. Jonas is nervous and Lily is excited. Discuss the rites of passage that the youth of America experience. In what ways are they similar to the rites of passage in the community in The Giver? In what ways are they different?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)