|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does The Giver play so Jonas can witness the request he'd made to see his Father doing something?
2. What action of defiance does Jonas take after he lies to his parents about understanding the word "love"?
3. What is Jonas's reaction when The Giver begs for forgiveness after he gives Jonas the war memory?
4. In what position does Jonas find The Giver in many times?
5. What does Gabriel do continuously throughout the night in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
2. What memory does the Giver give to Jonas in Chapter 15 that takes away some of The Giver's pain?
3. Jonas is reluctant to go back to the Annex because of the emotions he felt during the memory of war. The Giver is gentle with Jonas. What does he do to comfort Jonas after the memory of war?
4. What happens as a result of Jonas receiving the memory of war?
5. What happens to Fiona's hair as Jonas and Fiona travel to the House of Old in Chapter 12?
6. What happens to Jonas and Gabriel as the road becomes more difficult to ride upon?
7. Why did the old Receiver fail?
8. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
9. What memory does The Giver give to Jonas to help him understand color?
10. What will happens to the identical twins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas's training becomes painful. As a result, Jonas realizes that the community does not truly experience emotions. In what ways does the absence of pain protect a community? Discuss anger, love, happiness, and pain as necessary opposites that create balance and perspective in the human condition.
Essay Topic 2
Jonas dreams of "Stirrings" in his sleep. His mother gives him a pill to numb the feelings he experiences. Think of the pharmaceutical industry in the United States today. How is the industry masking certain health issues. Make the comparison/connection of today's society to Jonas and his mother's reaction to his "Stirrings."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the ending of The Giver. Do you agree with how the story ends? Cite one piece of evidence from the text that you relate to and agree with. What is the central message of the novel?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)