|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When can The Giver apply for release?
2. What happens to twins born into the community?
3. What action does Father perform on the smaller twin?
4. What memory does Jonas give Gabriel during the night as he is trying to calm him down?
5. What is the reason why Gabriel begins to sleep through the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Fiona's hair as Jonas and Fiona travel to the House of Old in Chapter 12?
2. What is Jonas feeling as he throws a tantrum on The Giver's couch after seeing his Father release a twin?
3. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
4. Why did the Elders remove colors from the community?
5. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
6. Jonas and Gabriel began to get hungry on their journey. How does Jonas alleviate this feeling, and is it successful?
7. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
8. What does Jonas's father do to the infant twin to release him/her?
9. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
10. What memory does the Giver give to Jonas in Chapter 15 that takes away some of The Giver's pain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas is involved in volunteer work. He works in the House of the Old with Fiona and Asher. Discuss the importance of volunteer work in the community of The Giver. Next, discuss the meaning of volunteer work in America and how volunteering creates a compassionate society.
Essay Topic 2
Gabriel has pale eyes; Jonas has pale eyes; The Giver has pale eyes. Describe the ways in which the characters in The Giver use physical characteristics to impart, judge, and interpret meaning. In what ways do Americans use physical characteristics, including skin color, to impart meaning and to judge?
Essay Topic 3
Jonas asks his parents "Do you love me?" His parents rely with amusement but then chastise him for using the wrong word. Jonas then lies to his parents. Discuss whether or not this lie is justified for the sake of self-preservation. Use examples from the text.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)