|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the community when the old Receiver was released?
2. What event does Jonas watch take place right before his eyes during the memory of war?
3. What does The Giver play so Jonas can witness the request he'd made to see his Father doing something?
4. Who decids that identical twins would be too complicated?
5. When did the council add the no release rule to the list for Jonas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Fiona's hair as Jonas and Fiona travel to the House of Old in Chapter 12?
2. What memory does the Giver give to Jonas in Chapter 15 that takes away some of The Giver's pain?
3. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
4. Does The Giver ever wish to be released? Explain.
5. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
6. Why is Gabriel sleeping well through the night by Chapter 16?
7. What does Jonas decide to do after he finds out that his Father is a murderer?
8. Why does Jonas take Gabriel with him on his journey to a new life?
9. What memory does The Giver give to Jonas to help him understand color?
10. What happens as a result of Jonas receiving the memory of war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Giver gives Jonas the memory of color, starting with the color red taken from the dream of snow and sledding. Discuss the significance of why the community does not retain color and memory. Does living in muted gray make a more simple life?
Essay Topic 2
Jonas asks his parents "Do you love me?" His parents rely with amusement but then chastise him for using the wrong word. Jonas then lies to his parents. Discuss whether or not this lie is justified for the sake of self-preservation. Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The Elders control and regulate the activities of the community in The Giver. In America, the older generations is similarly in charge of the younger. Write a description of reversal where the young are in more positions of power and authority. What would America look like? What societal characteristics might improve, and what might suffer?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)