|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Giver give Jonas a memory of that gives Jonas great pain?
2. What does Gabriel do continuously throughout the night in Chapter 14?
3. What happens to Jonas when he is sledding in Chapter 14?
4. What does Jonas feel now as a result of his knowledge of the former Receiver and her failure?
5. What happens to the sled during the memory sequence in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
2. What memory does The Giver give to Jonas to help him understand color?
3. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
4. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
5. What memory does the Giver give to Jonas in Chapter 15 that takes away some of The Giver's pain?
6. What happens to Fiona's hair as Jonas and Fiona travel to the House of Old in Chapter 12?
7. Jonas is reluctant to go back to the Annex because of the emotions he felt during the memory of war. The Giver is gentle with Jonas. What does he do to comfort Jonas after the memory of war?
8. Describe Jonas's parents reaction to the elephant memory that Jonas shares with them.
9. Does The Giver ever wish to be released? Explain.
10. What happens as a result of Jonas receiving the memory of war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Elders control and regulate the activities of the community in The Giver. In America, the older generations is similarly in charge of the younger. Write a description of reversal where the young are in more positions of power and authority. What would America look like? What societal characteristics might improve, and what might suffer?
Essay Topic 2
The Giver gives Jonas the memory of color, starting with the color red taken from the dream of snow and sledding. Discuss the significance of why the community does not retain color and memory. Does living in muted gray make a more simple life?
Essay Topic 3
Jonas takes on the memory of The Giver to ease his pain. Does the ability to blunt pain make for a more peaceful, easier life? Or, does muting the feelings associated with living a normal life sacrifice the freedom of choice? Cite examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)