|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing to catch Jonas's eye when the receptionist leads him into the Receiver's office?
2. While Jonas's mother is speaking with him about his dream, Jonas's father takes Lily where?
3. What does the Receiver ask Jonas to refer to him as?
4. Who makes the opening speech at the Ceremony of Twelves?
5. What assignment is Asher was given?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lily's mother reprimand her for wanting to become a Birthmother?
2. What does Jonas's Mother give to Jonas to help with the 'Stirrings'? What happens as a result?
3. What happened to the old Receiver?
4. What is the significance of Lily's new jacket that she receives at the Ceremony?
5. Describe Jonas's family.
6. What is the significance of the Ceremony of Nine?
7. Who is Gabriel?
8. What will happen to Lily's hair during the ceremony of Eight?
9. Who observes the children in order to place them into appropriate jobs?
10. What does Jonas learn from Larissa at the House of the Old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas takes on the memory of The Giver to ease his pain. Does the ability to blunt pain make for a more peaceful, easier life? Or, does muting the feelings associated with living a normal life sacrifice the freedom of choice? Cite examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jonas witnesses children playing a pretend game of war. Watching them upsets Jonas. Write an essay on violent movies in American society. How does the mere pretending of painful events affect audiences? Is pretending appropriate in gaining understanding or are we exacerbating violence and war, and essentially sending the message that violence is the solution to conflict, instead of diplomacy.
Essay Topic 3
Gabriel has pale eyes; Jonas has pale eyes; The Giver has pale eyes. Describe the ways in which the characters in The Giver use physical characteristics to impart, judge, and interpret meaning. In what ways do Americans use physical characteristics, including skin color, to impart meaning and to judge?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)