|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Ceremony of Twelve is when the children are assigned their life jobs. Who observes the child before placement?
2. How does Jonas feel after he receives treatment in Chapter 5?
3. What memory does the Giver give Jonas, which males him wake with stinging skin?
4. What object does The Giver give Jonas the experience of, while he is sitting at the top of a snow-touched hill?
5. Information, including volunteer hours, is all housed in this building:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Ceremony of Nine?
2. What happened to the old Receiver?
3. What does Jonas learn from Larissa at the House of the Old?
4. What memories will The Giver give to Jonas?
5. Describe the first memory that The Giver gives to Jonas.
6. What assignment does Fiona receive and why?
7. Why is Gabriel not part of the 'Ones'?
8. Why does Lily's mother reprimand her for wanting to become a Birthmother?
9. How do the elevens line up when they enter the stage?
10. Who observes the children in order to place them into appropriate jobs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas is anticipating the Ceremony of Twelve with fear. He discusses his fear with his family when he returns home. Write about an event where you felt tremendous anticipation. How did you soothe your feelings? Did you discuss your feelings with your family or did you find another way to express yourself?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, The Giver describes to Jonas that he is weighted by memories of the world and of the past Receivers. Discuss a significant event in recent world history. In what way has that memory "lived on" long after the event has transpired.
Essay Topic 3
Jonas witnesses children playing a pretend game of war. Watching them upsets Jonas. Write an essay on violent movies in American society. How does the mere pretending of painful events affect audiences? Is pretending appropriate in gaining understanding or are we exacerbating violence and war, and essentially sending the message that violence is the solution to conflict, instead of diplomacy.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)