Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are children raised until they are named?
2. What assignment does Jonas receive from The Chief Elder?
3. Roberto performed many functions in the Community. He was on the Planning Committee and he had a family, but he was most remembered for what position?
4. What does Jonas rarely do?
5. What is Gabriel labeled at the Ceremony of Ones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jonas's parents reaction to the elephant memory that Jonas shares with them.
2. Who observes the children in order to place them into appropriate jobs?
3. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
4. Why did the old Receiver fail?
5. What assignment is Jonas given?
6. What is significant about volunteering? Does it matter to the children's future?
7. What is Jonas's Mother's reaction to Jonas's dream in Chapter 5?
8. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
9. How do the elevens line up when they enter the stage?
10. What job does Jonas's father hold in the community?
Essay Topic 1
Jonas is anticipating the Ceremony of Twelve with fear. He discusses his fear with his family when he returns home. Write about an event where you felt tremendous anticipation. How did you soothe your feelings? Did you discuss your feelings with your family or did you find another way to express yourself?
Essay Topic 2
Jonas has been selected by the Chief Elder to become the Receiver. He has been set apart from the community. He will be different. Describe Jonas's interpretation of this assignment and how he will cope with his new responsibility. Compare the character of Jonas and his assignment to that of Fiona and her assignment in the House of the Old. Discuss the weight of responsibility.
Essay Topic 3
Jonas receives the memory of war. He experiences pain, death, and destruction. He becomes highly affected and emotional. In what ways does war shape a community? In what ways does it bring people together and also tear them apart? Cite examples, such as Jonas's reaction, from the text in your answer.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)