|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which way does the community NOT react to the failure of the former Receiver?
2. What remedy is used to treat Jonas's new feelings from his dream in Chapter 5?
3. What is Lily's comfort object?
4. What is the name of the man that Larissa announces was released the morning Jonas came to the House of the Old?
5. What object does a person received when they receive their assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What catches Jonas's eye when he first enters the Receiver's office and why?
2. What is Jonas's Mother's reaction to Jonas's dream in Chapter 5?
3. What event from a year ago does Jonas remember that brings back feelings of fear?
4. Describe the characteristics of Fiona.
5. What does Jonas learn from Larissa at the House of the Old?
6. Who observes the children in order to place them into appropriate jobs?
7. Where is Jonas going to do his volunteer work, and what friends does he meet there?
8. What instruction is Jonas most impressed with when he receives the printed sheet that describes his training?
9. What is the significance of Lily's new jacket that she receives at the Ceremony?
10. What is significant about volunteering? Does it matter to the children's future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gabriel has pale eyes; Jonas has pale eyes; The Giver has pale eyes. Describe the ways in which the characters in The Giver use physical characteristics to impart, judge, and interpret meaning. In what ways do Americans use physical characteristics, including skin color, to impart meaning and to judge?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how and why the old Receiver failed at her job. Use examples from the text. Discuss how her failure affects Jonas's confidence? Explain further how the role of positive role models affect success in the youth.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the moment where Jonas realizes that his Father has killed the smaller of the identical twin babies. Describe this realization in detail and cite the text. Make the connection of when a child realizes his/her parents have not been honest. Does this happen often in the life of children and if so, how do Jonas's coping skills reflect how society has been conditioned to deal with disappointment.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)