|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a child do to provoke Adults to call their children by their original number and not their name?
2. What is one reason why a person is released?
3. What does the Receiver ask Jonas to refer to him as?
4. In Chapter 3, what happens to the object as Asher and Jonas played catch?
5. Jonas is prohibited from all of the following EXCEPT:
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the elevens line up when they enter the stage?
2. What assignment is Jonas given?
3. Why does Lily's mother reprimand her for wanting to become a Birthmother?
4. What dream does Jonas share in Chapter 5?
5. What do families in the community share in the new morning?
6. What happens at the Ceremony of Twelve?
7. What is significant about volunteering? Does it matter to the children's future?
8. What memories will The Giver give to Jonas?
9. What does Jonas's Mother give to Jonas to help with the 'Stirrings'? What happens as a result?
10. How is the Receiver different from the community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas's training becomes painful. As a result, Jonas realizes that the community does not truly experience emotions. In what ways does the absence of pain protect a community? Discuss anger, love, happiness, and pain as necessary opposites that create balance and perspective in the human condition.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the ending of The Giver. Do you agree with how the story ends? Cite one piece of evidence from the text that you relate to and agree with. What is the central message of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Jonas takes on the memory of The Giver to ease his pain. Does the ability to blunt pain make for a more peaceful, easier life? Or, does muting the feelings associated with living a normal life sacrifice the freedom of choice? Cite examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)