Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are children raised until they are named?
2. What assignment does Jonas receive from The Chief Elder?
3. Roberto performed many functions in the Community. He was on the Planning Committee and he had a family, but he was most remembered for what position?
4. What does Jonas rarely do?
5. What is Gabriel labeled at the Ceremony of Ones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jonas's parents reaction to the elephant memory that Jonas shares with them.
2. Who observes the children in order to place them into appropriate jobs?
3. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
4. Why did the old Receiver fail?
5. What assignment is Jonas given?
6. What is significant about volunteering? Does it matter to the children's future?
7. What is Jonas's Mother's reaction to Jonas's dream in Chapter 5?
8. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
9. How do the elevens line up when they enter the stage?
10. What job does Jonas's father hold in the community?
Describe the moment where Jonas realizes that his Father has killed the smaller of the identical twin babies. Describe this realization in detail and cite the text. Make the connection of when a child realizes his/her parents have not been honest. Does this happen often in the life of children and if so, how do Jonas's coping skills reflect how society has been conditioned to deal with disappointment.
Jonas is anticipating the Ceremony of Twelve with fear. He discusses his fear with his family when he returns home. Write about an event where you felt tremendous anticipation. How did you soothe your feelings? Did you discuss your feelings with your family or did you find another way to express yourself?
Jonas witnesses children playing a pretend game of war. Watching them upsets Jonas. Write an essay on violent movies in American society. How does the mere pretending of painful events affect audiences? Is pretending appropriate in gaining understanding or are we exacerbating violence and war, and essentially sending the message that violence is the solution to conflict, instead of diplomacy.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)