|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Birthmothers have how many births in three years?
2. How many members are in Jonas's family?
3. What assignment does Jonas think Lily would be good at?
4. The Ceremony of Twelve is when the children are assigned their life jobs. Who observes the child before placement?
5. Which committee thought of the Assignments?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what object does Jonas take home and examine and why?
2. Why is Gabriel sleeping well through the night by Chapter 16?
3. Describe Jonas's last moments on the sled.
4. What happened to the old Receiver?
5. What happens as a result of Jonas receiving the memory of war?
6. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
7. Where is Jonas going to do his volunteer work, and what friends does he meet there?
8. What is significant about volunteering? Does it matter to the children's future?
9. What kind of volunteer work does Jonas do once he reaches the House of the Old?
10. Does The Giver ever wish to be released? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gabriel has pale eyes; Jonas has pale eyes; The Giver has pale eyes. Describe the ways in which the characters in The Giver use physical characteristics to impart, judge, and interpret meaning. In what ways do Americans use physical characteristics, including skin color, to impart meaning and to judge?
Essay Topic 2
Jonas takes on the memory of The Giver to ease his pain. Does the ability to blunt pain make for a more peaceful, easier life? Or, does muting the feelings associated with living a normal life sacrifice the freedom of choice? Cite examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the ending of The Giver. Do you agree with how the story ends? Cite one piece of evidence from the text that you relate to and agree with. What is the central message of the novel?
This section contains 1,518 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)