|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jonas arrives at the House of the Old, he finds out that Asher and Fiona are both volunteering in which room?
2. What quality does Jonas already have but cannot be described?
3. What is the second memory The Giver gives Jonas, and does not reveal the name of it?
4. What assignment is Asher was given?
5. In what month does the Ceremony of Twelve take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what object does Jonas take home and examine and why?
2. What does Jonas's Mother give to Jonas to help with the 'Stirrings'? What happens as a result?
3. What memories will The Giver give to Jonas?
4. What instruction is Jonas most impressed with when he receives the printed sheet that describes his training?
5. What happens to Jonas at the Ceremony of Twelve?
6. What assignment is Jonas given?
7. Describe the first memory that The Giver gives to Jonas.
8. What is the significance of Lily's new jacket that she receives at the Ceremony?
9. What will happen to Lily's hair during the ceremony of Eight?
10. Describe the characteristics of Fiona.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ceremony of Twelve is a rite of passage. Jonas is nervous and Lily is excited. Discuss the rites of passage that the youth of America experience. In what ways are they similar to the rites of passage in the community in The Giver? In what ways are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Jonas has been given the job of Receiver, which sets him apart from his community. He is now unique. He can lie if he wants and he is exempted from rudeness. Write about the freedom of being unique and how it must feel to be exempted from the rules of society. What are the benefits? At the same time, write about how that separation might alienate a person from society.
Essay Topic 3
Jonas dreams of "Stirrings" in his sleep. His mother gives him a pill to numb the feelings he experiences. Think of the pharmaceutical industry in the United States today. How is the industry masking certain health issues. Make the comparison/connection of today's society to Jonas and his mother's reaction to his "Stirrings."
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)