Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are children raised until they are named?
2. What assignment does Jonas receive from The Chief Elder?
3. Roberto performed many functions in the Community. He was on the Planning Committee and he had a family, but he was most remembered for what position?
4. What does Jonas rarely do?
5. What is Gabriel labeled at the Ceremony of Ones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jonas's parents reaction to the elephant memory that Jonas shares with them.
2. Who observes the children in order to place them into appropriate jobs?
3. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
4. Why did the old Receiver fail?
5. What assignment is Jonas given?
6. What is significant about volunteering? Does it matter to the children's future?
7. What is Jonas's Mother's reaction to Jonas's dream in Chapter 5?
8. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
9. How do the elevens line up when they enter the stage?
10. What job does Jonas's father hold in the community?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the ending of The Giver. Do you agree with how the story ends? Cite one piece of evidence from the text that you relate to and agree with. What is the central message of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Jonas receives the memory of war. He experiences pain, death, and destruction. He becomes highly affected and emotional. In what ways does war shape a community? In what ways does it bring people together and also tear them apart? Cite examples, such as Jonas's reaction, from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Jonas witnesses children playing a pretend game of war. Watching them upsets Jonas. Write an essay on violent movies in American society. How does the mere pretending of painful events affect audiences? Is pretending appropriate in gaining understanding or are we exacerbating violence and war, and essentially sending the message that violence is the solution to conflict, instead of diplomacy.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)