|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dream-telling begins at what age?
2. What is Lily's comfort object?
3. What assignment is Asher was given?
4. When Jonas arrives at the House of the Old, he finds out that Asher and Fiona are both volunteering in which room?
5. In what month does the Ceremony of Twelve take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what object does Jonas take home and examine and why?
2. What is different about Gabriel?
3. How do the elevens line up when they enter the stage?
4. What kind of volunteer work does Jonas do once he reaches the House of the Old?
5. What will happen to Lily's hair during the ceremony of Eight?
6. What happened to the old Receiver?
7. What job does Jonas's father hold in the community?
8. Who is Gabriel?
9. Why is Gabriel not part of the 'Ones'?
10. Describe the first memory that The Giver gives to Jonas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas witnesses children playing a pretend game of war. Watching them upsets Jonas. Write an essay on violent movies in American society. How does the mere pretending of painful events affect audiences? Is pretending appropriate in gaining understanding or are we exacerbating violence and war, and essentially sending the message that violence is the solution to conflict, instead of diplomacy.
Essay Topic 2
Jonas is anticipating the Ceremony of Twelve with fear. He discusses his fear with his family when he returns home. Write about an event where you felt tremendous anticipation. How did you soothe your feelings? Did you discuss your feelings with your family or did you find another way to express yourself?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the moment where Jonas realizes that his Father has killed the smaller of the identical twin babies. Describe this realization in detail and cite the text. Make the connection of when a child realizes his/her parents have not been honest. Does this happen often in the life of children and if so, how do Jonas's coping skills reflect how society has been conditioned to deal with disappointment.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)