|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Receiver ask Jonas to refer to him as?
2. What is Jonas's father's assignment?
3. What assignment does Fiona receive?
4. How does Roberto feel when he walks through the special door in the Releasing room?
5. As Jonas is preparing for bed, he begins to read the description his assignment, which is located in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jonas's family.
2. What kind of volunteer work does Jonas do once he reaches the House of the Old?
3. What happens to Jonas at the Ceremony of Twelve?
4. What happened to the old Receiver?
5. What will happen to Lily's hair during the ceremony of Eight?
6. Who is Gabriel?
7. What rule is often broken at the ceremony of Nine?
8. What catches Jonas's eye when he first enters the Receiver's office and why?
9. What do families in the community share in the new morning?
10. Why does Lily's mother reprimand her for wanting to become a Birthmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Elders control and regulate the activities of the community in The Giver. In America, the older generations is similarly in charge of the younger. Write a description of reversal where the young are in more positions of power and authority. What would America look like? What societal characteristics might improve, and what might suffer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the moment where Jonas realizes that his Father has killed the smaller of the identical twin babies. Describe this realization in detail and cite the text. Make the connection of when a child realizes his/her parents have not been honest. Does this happen often in the life of children and if so, how do Jonas's coping skills reflect how society has been conditioned to deal with disappointment.
Essay Topic 3
The Giver gives Jonas the memory of color, starting with the color red taken from the dream of snow and sledding. Discuss the significance of why the community does not retain color and memory. Does living in muted gray make a more simple life?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)