Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are children raised until they are named?
2. What assignment does Jonas receive from The Chief Elder?
3. Roberto performed many functions in the Community. He was on the Planning Committee and he had a family, but he was most remembered for what position?
4. What does Jonas rarely do?
5. What is Gabriel labeled at the Ceremony of Ones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jonas's parents reaction to the elephant memory that Jonas shares with them.
2. Who observes the children in order to place them into appropriate jobs?
3. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
4. Why did the old Receiver fail?
5. What assignment is Jonas given?
6. What is significant about volunteering? Does it matter to the children's future?
7. What is Jonas's Mother's reaction to Jonas's dream in Chapter 5?
8. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
9. How do the elevens line up when they enter the stage?
10. What job does Jonas's father hold in the community?
The Ceremony of Twelve is a rite of passage. Jonas is nervous and Lily is excited. Discuss the rites of passage that the youth of America experience. In what ways are they similar to the rites of passage in the community in The Giver? In what ways are they different?
The Elders control and regulate the activities of the community in The Giver. In America, the older generations is similarly in charge of the younger. Write a description of reversal where the young are in more positions of power and authority. What would America look like? What societal characteristics might improve, and what might suffer?
Jonas is involved in volunteer work. He works in the House of the Old with Fiona and Asher. Discuss the importance of volunteer work in the community of The Giver. Next, discuss the meaning of volunteer work in America and how volunteering creates a compassionate society.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)