|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dream-telling begins at what age?
2. In what month does the Ceremony of Twelve take place?
3. Where does Jonas's mother work?
4. After the Ceremony of Twelves, what characteristic no longer matters?
5. As Jonas is preparing for bed, he begins to read the description his assignment, which is located in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of volunteer work does Jonas do once he reaches the House of the Old?
2. What instruction is Jonas most impressed with when he receives the printed sheet that describes his training?
3. What is Jonas's Mother's reaction to Jonas's dream in Chapter 5?
4. Describe Jonas's family.
5. Who is Gabriel?
6. What happens to Jonas at the Ceremony of Twelve?
7. What is the significance of the Ceremony of Nine?
8. What rule is often broken at the ceremony of Nine?
9. What assignment is Jonas given?
10. What is Jonas anticipating as the novel opens and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the moment where Jonas realizes that his Father has killed the smaller of the identical twin babies. Describe this realization in detail and cite the text. Make the connection of when a child realizes his/her parents have not been honest. Does this happen often in the life of children and if so, how do Jonas's coping skills reflect how society has been conditioned to deal with disappointment.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the ending of The Giver. Do you agree with how the story ends? Cite one piece of evidence from the text that you relate to and agree with. What is the central message of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Jonas asks his parents "Do you love me?" His parents rely with amusement but then chastise him for using the wrong word. Jonas then lies to his parents. Discuss whether or not this lie is justified for the sake of self-preservation. Use examples from the text.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)