|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What objects were are out at the Ceremony of Elevens?
2. What is the activity of telling each family members about dreams?
3. What can Jonas do now that he is exempt from rudeness?
4. What feeling best describes Jonas as the Ceremony of Twelves approaches?
5. What is Gabriel labeled at the Ceremony of Ones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jonas and Gabriel encounter snow after escaping the community. How does Jonas feel about Gabriel during this time?
2. Why does Lily's mother reprimand her for wanting to become a Birthmother?
3. What memory does The Giver give to Jonas to help him understand color?
4. Why did the Elders remove colors from the community?
5. What happens to Jonas and Gabriel as the road becomes more difficult to ride upon?
6. Describe the characteristics of Fiona.
7. What is Jonas's Mother's reaction to Jonas's dream in Chapter 5?
8. What dream does Jonas share in Chapter 5?
9. How do the elevens line up when they enter the stage?
10. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
Essay Topic 1
The Elders control and regulate the activities of the community in The Giver. In America, the older generations is similarly in charge of the younger. Write a description of reversal where the young are in more positions of power and authority. What would America look like? What societal characteristics might improve, and what might suffer?
Essay Topic 2
The Giver gives Jonas the experience of snow and sunshine. Discuss the reasons why snow is not permitted in the community. Discus why sunshine is associated with the painful things the Elder mentions. Compare and contrast the emotional and physical effects of snow and sunshine.
Essay Topic 3
Jonas has been selected by the Chief Elder to become the Receiver. He has been set apart from the community. He will be different. Describe Jonas's interpretation of this assignment and how he will cope with his new responsibility. Compare the character of Jonas and his assignment to that of Fiona and her assignment in the House of the Old. Discuss the weight of responsibility.
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)