|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Are children allowed into the Releasing room?
2. How does Jonas feel when he is skipped by the Chief Elder at the Ceremony of Twelve?
3. How does Jonas feel after he receives treatment in Chapter 5?
4. Seven's see the first sign of independence when they are given what article of clothing?
5. What step must Tens make to continue on to adulthood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen to Lily's hair during the ceremony of Eight?
2. Describe Jonas's last moments on the sled.
3. What does Jonas want to watch his Father do at the beginning of Chapter 19? How does the Giver make this happen?
4. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
5. What is Jonas feeling as he throws a tantrum on The Giver's couch after seeing his Father release a twin?
6. What happens as a result of Jonas receiving the memory of war?
7. What does Jonas's father do to the infant twin to release him/her?
8. What is Jonas anticipating as the novel opens and why?
9. Jonas and Gabriel began to get hungry on their journey. How does Jonas alleviate this feeling, and is it successful?
10. Who is Gabriel?
Essay Topic 1
The Giver gives Jonas the experience of snow and sunshine. Discuss the reasons why snow is not permitted in the community. Discus why sunshine is associated with the painful things the Elder mentions. Compare and contrast the emotional and physical effects of snow and sunshine.
Essay Topic 2
Jonas's training becomes painful. As a result, Jonas realizes that the community does not truly experience emotions. In what ways does the absence of pain protect a community? Discuss anger, love, happiness, and pain as necessary opposites that create balance and perspective in the human condition.
Essay Topic 3
The Giver gives Jonas the memory of color, starting with the color red taken from the dream of snow and sledding. Discuss the significance of why the community does not retain color and memory. Does living in muted gray make a more simple life?
This section contains 1,624 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)