|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which committee thought of the Assignments?
2. What is the name of the man that Larissa announces was released the morning Jonas came to the House of the Old?
3. While Jonas's mother is speaking with him about his dream, Jonas's father takes Lily where?
4. Jonas says he feels frightened in the beginning of the novel, then he changes his mind and replaces the name of his feeling with what word?
5. What does each family member need to sign that states they will not become too attached to Gabriel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ritual is Jonas's family participating in as the novel opens?
2. What is different about Gabriel?
3. What does Jonas's Mother give to Jonas to help with the 'Stirrings'? What happens as a result?
4. Describe the first memory that The Giver gives to Jonas.
5. Describe the characteristics of Fiona.
6. Where is Jonas going to do his volunteer work, and what friends does he meet there?
7. What memories will The Giver give to Jonas?
8. What will happen to Lily's hair during the ceremony of Eight?
9. What is the significance of Lily's new jacket that she receives at the Ceremony?
10. Why does Lily's mother reprimand her for wanting to become a Birthmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Elders control and regulate the activities of the community in The Giver. In America, the older generations is similarly in charge of the younger. Write a description of reversal where the young are in more positions of power and authority. What would America look like? What societal characteristics might improve, and what might suffer?
Essay Topic 2
Jonas takes on the memory of The Giver to ease his pain. Does the ability to blunt pain make for a more peaceful, easier life? Or, does muting the feelings associated with living a normal life sacrifice the freedom of choice? Cite examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Jonas has been selected by the Chief Elder to become the Receiver. He has been set apart from the community. He will be different. Describe Jonas's interpretation of this assignment and how he will cope with his new responsibility. Compare the character of Jonas and his assignment to that of Fiona and her assignment in the House of the Old. Discuss the weight of responsibility.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)