|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are children raised until they are named?
2. How does Roberto feel when he walks through the special door in the Releasing room?
3. Where does Jonas go to volunteer at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. What is the reason why Jonas's community does not have snow?
5. What remedy is used to treat Jonas's new feelings from his dream in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first memory that The Giver gives to Jonas.
2. Describe Jonas's family.
3. What is the significance of Lily's new jacket that she receives at the Ceremony?
4. How is the Receiver different from the community?
5. What happens at the Ceremony of Twelve?
6. What will happen to Lily's hair during the ceremony of Eight?
7. What memories will The Giver give to Jonas?
8. What is different about Gabriel?
9. What is Jonas's Mother's reaction to Jonas's dream in Chapter 5?
10. What assignment does Fiona receive and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas asks his parents "Do you love me?" His parents rely with amusement but then chastise him for using the wrong word. Jonas then lies to his parents. Discuss whether or not this lie is justified for the sake of self-preservation. Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The Giver gives Jonas the memory of color, starting with the color red taken from the dream of snow and sledding. Discuss the significance of why the community does not retain color and memory. Does living in muted gray make a more simple life?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, The Giver describes to Jonas that he is weighted by memories of the world and of the past Receivers. Discuss a significant event in recent world history. In what way has that memory "lived on" long after the event has transpired.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)