|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roberto feel when he walks through the special door in the Releasing room?
2. Where does Jonas go to volunteer at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. Mother describes Jonas's new feelings in his dream as what?
4. Which of the following is NOT a quality of a Receiver?
5. Who makes the opening speech at the Ceremony of Twelves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first memory that The Giver gives to Jonas.
2. In Chapter 3, what object does Jonas take home and examine and why?
3. What catches Jonas's eye when he first enters the Receiver's office and why?
4. What does Jonas's Mother give to Jonas to help with the 'Stirrings'? What happens as a result?
5. What ritual is Jonas's family participating in as the novel opens?
6. What does Jonas learn from Larissa at the House of the Old?
7. What will happen to Lily's hair during the ceremony of Eight?
8. How do the elevens line up when they enter the stage?
9. The Giver gives Jonas a painful memory after the first memory of snow. What is the painful memory?
10. What instruction is Jonas most impressed with when he receives the printed sheet that describes his training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas is involved in volunteer work. He works in the House of the Old with Fiona and Asher. Discuss the importance of volunteer work in the community of The Giver. Next, discuss the meaning of volunteer work in America and how volunteering creates a compassionate society.
Essay Topic 2
Jonas has been selected by the Chief Elder to become the Receiver. He has been set apart from the community. He will be different. Describe Jonas's interpretation of this assignment and how he will cope with his new responsibility. Compare the character of Jonas and his assignment to that of Fiona and her assignment in the House of the Old. Discuss the weight of responsibility.
Essay Topic 3
The Giver gives Jonas the experience of snow and sunshine. Discuss the reasons why snow is not permitted in the community. Discus why sunshine is associated with the painful things the Elder mentions. Compare and contrast the emotional and physical effects of snow and sunshine.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)