|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily's comfort object?
2. In The Matching of Spouses, which of the following is NOT considered a deciding factor?
3. What object does The Giver give Jonas the experience of, while he is sitting at the top of a snow-touched hill?
4. What is the name of the female Jonas meets at the House of the Old?
5. What is Jonas anticipating will take place at the Ceremony of Twelve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Lily's new jacket that she receives at the Ceremony?
2. In Chapter 3, what object does Jonas take home and examine and why?
3. What is significant about volunteering? Does it matter to the children's future?
4. What is the significance of the Ceremony of Nine?
5. Describe the characteristics of Fiona.
6. What will happen to Lily's hair during the ceremony of Eight?
7. What assignment is Jonas given?
8. Describe the first memory that The Giver gives to Jonas.
9. The Giver gives Jonas a painful memory after the first memory of snow. What is the painful memory?
10. What job does Jonas's father hold in the community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonas has been selected by the Chief Elder to become the Receiver. He has been set apart from the community. He will be different. Describe Jonas's interpretation of this assignment and how he will cope with his new responsibility. Compare the character of Jonas and his assignment to that of Fiona and her assignment in the House of the Old. Discuss the weight of responsibility.
Essay Topic 2
Jonas takes on the memory of The Giver to ease his pain. Does the ability to blunt pain make for a more peaceful, easier life? Or, does muting the feelings associated with living a normal life sacrifice the freedom of choice? Cite examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The Giver gives Jonas the experience of snow and sunshine. Discuss the reasons why snow is not permitted in the community. Discus why sunshine is associated with the painful things the Elder mentions. Compare and contrast the emotional and physical effects of snow and sunshine.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)