|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does Jonas eat in order to feel the memory of a cold sensation?
2. What object does The Giver give Jonas the experience of, while he is sitting at the top of a snow-touched hill?
3. Jonas says he feels frightened in the beginning of the novel, then he changes his mind and replaces the name of his feeling with what word?
4. After the Ceremony of Twelves, what characteristic no longer matters?
5. What is the name of Jonas's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jonas at the Ceremony of Twelve?
2. What do families in the community share in the new morning?
3. What does Jonas learn from Larissa at the House of the Old?
4. Why is Gabriel not part of the 'Ones'?
5. Describe Jonas's family.
6. What job does Jonas's father hold in the community?
7. Why does Lily's mother reprimand her for wanting to become a Birthmother?
8. What is Jonas anticipating as the novel opens and why?
9. What will happen to Lily's hair during the ceremony of Eight?
10. In Chapter 3, what object does Jonas take home and examine and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, The Giver describes to Jonas that he is weighted by memories of the world and of the past Receivers. Discuss a significant event in recent world history. In what way has that memory "lived on" long after the event has transpired.
Essay Topic 2
Jonas's training becomes painful. As a result, Jonas realizes that the community does not truly experience emotions. In what ways does the absence of pain protect a community? Discuss anger, love, happiness, and pain as necessary opposites that create balance and perspective in the human condition.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the ending of The Giver. Do you agree with how the story ends? Cite one piece of evidence from the text that you relate to and agree with. What is the central message of the novel?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)