|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are children raised until they are named?
2. What assignment does Jonas receive from The Chief Elder?
3. Roberto performed many functions in the Community. He was on the Planning Committee and he had a family, but he was most remembered for what position?
4. What does Jonas rarely do?
5. What is Gabriel labeled at the Ceremony of Ones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jonas's parents reaction to the elephant memory that Jonas shares with them.
2. Who observes the children in order to place them into appropriate jobs?
3. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
4. Why did the old Receiver fail?
5. What assignment is Jonas given?
6. What is significant about volunteering? Does it matter to the children's future?
7. What is Jonas's Mother's reaction to Jonas's dream in Chapter 5?
8. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
9. How do the elevens line up when they enter the stage?
10. What job does Jonas's father hold in the community?
Essay Topic 1
Jonas's training becomes painful. As a result, Jonas realizes that the community does not truly experience emotions. In what ways does the absence of pain protect a community? Discuss anger, love, happiness, and pain as necessary opposites that create balance and perspective in the human condition.
Essay Topic 2
Jonas has been selected by the Chief Elder to become the Receiver. He has been set apart from the community. He will be different. Describe Jonas's interpretation of this assignment and how he will cope with his new responsibility. Compare the character of Jonas and his assignment to that of Fiona and her assignment in the House of the Old. Discuss the weight of responsibility.
Essay Topic 3
Jonas is involved in volunteer work. He works in the House of the Old with Fiona and Asher. Discuss the importance of volunteer work in the community of The Giver. Next, discuss the meaning of volunteer work in America and how volunteering creates a compassionate society.
This section contains 1,580 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)