|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jonas is on The Giver's couch in Chapter 20, what does Jonas scream that he wants?
(a) To return to the House of Old and work.
(b) To stay with The Giver all night.
(c) To go back to the way he was.
(d) To go play with Asher.
2. When did the council add the no release rule to the list for Jonas?
(a) At the Ceremony of Twelve.
(b) When Jonas was born.
(c) After the old Receiver died.
(d) When Lily was born.
3. What do Jonas and Gabriel see in the trees on their way to a new life?
(a) Dirt roads.
4. What two items does Jonas take with him when he leaves the community?
(a) Gabriel's comfort object and food.
(b) Lily's comfort object and her bicycle.
(c) Stolen food and his father's bike.
(d) His mother's food and Lily's bicycle.
5. What happens to twins born into the community?
(a) They are given to one family.
(b) They are separated at birth.
(c) One gets released.
(d) They do not exist in the community.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action of defiance does Jonas take after he lies to his parents about understanding the word "love"?
2. What event does Jonas watch take place right before his eyes during the memory of war?
3. What happened to the community when the old Receiver was released?
4. What memories will The Giver transfer to Jonas to prepare him for his escape?
5. What question does Jonas ask his parent, who replied with amusement and chastise him for inappropriate use of words?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does The Giver ever wish to be released? Explain.
2. Why does Jonas take Gabriel with him on his journey to a new life?
3. Jonas and Gabriel began to get hungry on their journey. How does Jonas alleviate this feeling, and is it successful?
4. Jonas is reluctant to go back to the Annex because of the emotions he felt during the memory of war. The Giver is gentle with Jonas. What does he do to comfort Jonas after the memory of war?
5. What does Jonas decide to do after he finds out that his Father is a murderer?
6. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
7. What memory does The Giver give to Jonas to help him understand color?
8. Why did the Elders remove colors from the community?
9. What happens to Fiona's hair as Jonas and Fiona travel to the House of Old in Chapter 12?
10. What will happens to the identical twins?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)