|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the sled during the memory sequence in Chapter 12?
(a) It breaks.
(b) It disappears.
(c) It is different.
(d) It goes too fast.
2. What does Gabriel do continuously throughout the night in Chapter 14?
3. When can The Giver apply for release?
(a) During Jonas's training.
(b) When he has reached a certain age.
(c) When the Elders give him permission.
(d) After Jonas has been trained.
4. What does The Giver play so Jonas can witness the request he'd made to see his Father doing something?
(a) The film reel.
(b) The video.
(c) The CD.
(d) The tape player.
5. What question does Jonas ask his parent, who replied with amusement and chastise him for inappropriate use of words?
(a) Do you love me?
(b) Are you proud of me?
(c) Do you understand why I am different?
(d) Do you approve of my new job?
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Jonas now see and keep by Chapter 17?
2. What will happen if Jonas dies?
3. How do the children react to Jonas when he does not want to play the game in the field?
4. Jonas asks The Giver if he has ever had what member of family?
5. What two items does Jonas take with him when he leaves the community?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
2. What memory does The Giver give to Jonas to help him understand color?
3. Why does Jonas take Gabriel with him on his journey to a new life?
4. What does Jonas want to watch his Father do at the beginning of Chapter 19? How does the Giver make this happen?
5. Why is Gabriel sleeping well through the night by Chapter 16?
6. What happens to Fiona's hair as Jonas and Fiona travel to the House of Old in Chapter 12?
7. Describe Jonas's parents reaction to the elephant memory that Jonas shares with them.
8. What happens as a result of Jonas receiving the memory of war?
9. Does The Giver ever wish to be released? Explain.
10. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)