|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the children react to Jonas when he does not want to play the game in the field?
(a) They are irritated.
(b) They question him.
(c) They ask him to join.
(d) They ask him to leave.
2. What do Jonas and Gabriel see in the trees on their way to a new life?
(c) Dirt roads.
3. What memory does Jonas transfer to Gabriel as they travel?
(a) The memory of silence and calm.
(b) The memory of laughter.
(c) The memory of deep exhaustion.
(d) The memory of sunshine.
4. In what position does Jonas find The Giver in many times?
(a) Hunched over in pain.
(c) Writing a new book.
(d) Painting in color.
5. What is the reason why Gabriel begins to sleep through the night?
(a) Father rocks him to sleep.
(b) Jonas tells him a story.
(c) Jonas transfers peaceful memories to him.
(d) Jonas sings a lullaby to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jonas feel as he watches his Father do something to the smaller twin?
2. What happens to Jonas when he is sledding in Chapter 14?
3. What happens to the sled during the memory sequence in Chapter 12?
4. What object does Father take out of the cupboard after the identical twins are weighted?
5. What happened to the community when the old Receiver was released?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of Jonas receiving the memory of war?
2. Why does Jonas take Gabriel with him on his journey to a new life?
3. Why do Jonas and Gabriel hide in the trees after leaving the community?
4. What are the other children doing as Jonas and Asher are playing in the field on their day off from school?
5. What does Jonas want to watch his Father do at the beginning of Chapter 19? How does the Giver make this happen?
6. What does Jonas decide to do after he finds out that his Father is a murderer?
7. What happens when Gabriel is placed into Jonas's room for the night?
8. What happens in the memory of the sled that causes pain to Jonas?
9. Why did the old Receiver fail?
10. What is Jonas feeling as he throws a tantrum on The Giver's couch after seeing his Father release a twin?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)