|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Jonas is preparing for bed, he begins to read the description his assignment, which is located in what?
(a) A brochure.
(b) A book.
(c) A tape he plays.
(d) A folder.
2. How does Jonas feel when he is skipped by the Chief Elder at the Ceremony of Twelve?
3. What can Jonas do now that he is exempt from rudeness?
(a) Disobey rules.
(b) Ask any question of any citizen and receive answers.
(c) Question authority.
(d) Say exactly what he wants.
4. Which way does the community NOT react to the failure of the former Receiver?
(a) The Receiver's name is removed from the House of Records.
(b) The Receiver's name is never spoken aloud again.
(c) The Receiver has to pay a fine.
(d) The Receiver's name is never used again.
5. The Giver was reluctant to hurt Jonas, but Jonas was firm and acted with what characteristic?
Short Answer Questions
1. What assignment does Jonas receive from The Chief Elder?
2. The Ceremony of Twelve is when the children are assigned their life jobs. Who observes the child before placement?
3. What feeling best describes Jonas as the Ceremony of Twelves approaches?
4. How does Jonas feel after he receives treatment in Chapter 5?
5. How does Lily react to Mother tying her hair ribbons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Lily's new jacket that she receives at the Ceremony?
2. Who is Gabriel?
3. What kind of volunteer work does Jonas do once he reaches the House of the Old?
4. What assignment does Fiona receive and why?
5. What instruction is Jonas most impressed with when he receives the printed sheet that describes his training?
6. Describe the first memory that The Giver gives to Jonas.
7. What is the significance of the Ceremony of Nine?
8. What happened to the old Receiver?
9. Describe Jonas's family.
10. Where is Jonas going to do his volunteer work, and what friends does he meet there?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)