|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crowd do to show their acceptance of the Chief Elder's final decision regarding Jonas's assignment?
(a) They chant his name.
(b) They sing.
(c) They cheer loudly.
(d) They dance.
2. Where does Jonas volunteer in Chapter 4?
(a) The Childcare Center.
(b) A variety of places.
(c) The Nurturing Center.
(d) The Department of Justice.
3. What can Jonas do now that he is exempt from rudeness?
(a) Disobey rules.
(b) Ask any question of any citizen and receive answers.
(c) Question authority.
(d) Say exactly what he wants.
4. What is the first thing to catch Jonas's eye when the receptionist leads him into the Receiver's office?
(a) The candy in the dish.
(b) The tile floor.
(c) A wall of books.
(d) The pictures on the wall.
5. What rule is NOT taken seriously?
(a) Giving a child a name before the Ceremony of Ones.
(b) Giving a child a comfort toy.
(c) Giving a child an Assignment.
(d) Teaching nines how to ride bicycles before the Ceremony.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age is a comfort toy taken away and recycled to the younger children?
2. What kind of eyes does Gabriel, the newchild, have?
3. While Jonas's mother is speaking with him about his dream, Jonas's father takes Lily where?
4. What does it mean to be "released?"
5. Which committee thought of the Assignments?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gabriel not part of the 'Ones'?
2. What will happen to Lily's hair during the ceremony of Eight?
3. What assignment is Jonas given?
4. What does Jonas's Mother give to Jonas to help with the 'Stirrings'? What happens as a result?
5. What does Jonas learn from Larissa at the House of the Old?
6. What dream does Jonas share in Chapter 5?
7. How is the Receiver different from the community?
8. What event from a year ago does Jonas remember that brings back feelings of fear?
9. What happened to the old Receiver?
10. Describe Jonas's family.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)