|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What remedy is used to treat Jonas's new feelings from his dream in Chapter 5?
(a) A comfort toy.
(b) A treat.
(c) A pill.
(d) A punishment.
2. What does Jonas rarely do?
(a) Ride his bicycle.
3. What is the first memory The Giver gives Jonas?
(a) The memory of wind.
(b) The memory of snow.
(c) The memory of rain.
(d) The memory of fire.
4. As Jonas is preparing for bed, he begins to read the description his assignment, which is located in what?
(a) A book.
(b) A brochure.
(c) A folder.
(d) A tape he plays.
5. Which instruction impresses Jonas the most?
(a) Prohibited from Dream-telling.
(b) Being exempt from rudeness.
(c) Being able to lie.
(d) Not discussing the training with his parents or elders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gabriel's comfort object?
2. What rule is NOT taken seriously?
3. In the beginning of the novel, it is revealed that Jonas is categorized into which age group?
4. Which character does not talk to Jonas after the Ceremony?
5. Who has the final say in changing a rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Gabriel?
2. What happens at the Ceremony of Twelve?
3. In Chapter 3, what object does Jonas take home and examine and why?
4. What do families in the community share in the new morning?
5. Describe the first memory that The Giver gives to Jonas.
6. What memories will The Giver give to Jonas?
7. What rule is often broken at the ceremony of Nine?
8. Who observes the children in order to place them into appropriate jobs?
9. What is the significance of the Ceremony of Nine?
10. The Giver gives Jonas a painful memory after the first memory of snow. What is the painful memory?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)