|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jonas volunteer in Chapter 4?
(a) The Childcare Center.
(b) A variety of places.
(c) The Department of Justice.
(d) The Nurturing Center.
2. Who is Larissa?
(a) A friend of Fionas from school.
(b) Lily's cousin.
(c) Asher's sister.
(d) A woman in the House of Old.
3. Who makes the opening speech at the Ceremony of Twelves?
(a) The Chief Elder.
(b) The President.
(c) A Birthmother.
(d) The Receiver.
4. Dream-telling begins at what age?
(a) The Nines.
(b) The Elevens.
(c) The Threes.
(d) The Ones.
5. After the Ceremony of Twelves, what characteristic no longer matters?
(c) Skin tone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jonas's best friend introduced in Chapter 1?
2. What assignment does Fiona receive?
3. What does it mean to be "released?"
4. The Giver was reluctant to hurt Jonas, but Jonas was firm and acted with what characteristic?
5. Where did Benjamin, an Eleven, completed nearly four years of volunteer work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jonas anticipating as the novel opens and why?
2. Why is Gabriel sleeping well through the night by Chapter 16?
3. What assignment is Jonas given?
4. Describe Jonas's parents reaction to the elephant memory that Jonas shares with them.
5. What happens at the Ceremony of Twelve?
6. Who observes the children in order to place them into appropriate jobs?
7. What memory does the Giver give to Jonas in Chapter 15 that takes away some of The Giver's pain?
8. Where is Jonas going to do his volunteer work, and what friends does he meet there?
9. Why does Lily's mother reprimand her for wanting to become a Birthmother?
10. What happens to Fiona's hair as Jonas and Fiona travel to the House of Old in Chapter 12?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)