|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character does Jonas dream of in Chapter 5?
2. In what month does the Ceremony of Twelve take place?
3. Information, including volunteer hours, is all housed in this building:
(a) The Department of Justice.
(b) The Hall of Open Records.
(c) The House of the Old.
(d) The Nurturing Center.
4. Which way does the community NOT react to the failure of the former Receiver?
(a) The Receiver's name is never used again.
(b) The Receiver has to pay a fine.
(c) The Receiver's name is removed from the House of Records.
(d) The Receiver's name is never spoken aloud again.
5. What does the Receiver ask Jonas to refer to him as?
(a) The Receiver.
(b) The Beloved.
(c) The Giver.
(d) The Hopeful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first memory The Giver gives Jonas?
2. How many years have the Committee of Elders observed the community in order to decide on the next Receiver?
3. In which Ceremony are children named?
4. Jonas is prohibited from all of the following EXCEPT:
5. Seven's see the first sign of independence when they are given what article of clothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of volunteer work does Jonas do once he reaches the House of the Old?
2. Describe the first memory that The Giver gives to Jonas.
3. What event from a year ago does Jonas remember that brings back feelings of fear?
4. What does Jonas's Mother give to Jonas to help with the 'Stirrings'? What happens as a result?
5. How is the Receiver different from the community?
6. What memories will The Giver give to Jonas?
7. What do families in the community share in the new morning?
8. Why does Lily's mother reprimand her for wanting to become a Birthmother?
9. Describe Jonas's family.
10. What happens at the Ceremony of Twelve?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)