|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jonas's reaction when The Giver begs for forgiveness after he gives Jonas the war memory?
(a) He is shocked.
(b) He forgives The Giver.
(c) He asks for forgiveness himself.
(d) He asks him to take back the memory.
2. What will happen if Jonas dies?
(a) He will forget everything.
(b) His memories will go back to the people.
(c) His parents will receive his bad memories.
(d) The Giver will receive his memories.
3. How does Jonas feel as he watches his Father do something to the smaller twin?
4. What does Gabriel wake up in the night doing in Chapter 12?
5. What is the first color Jonas is beginning to see?
6. What memory does the Giver give Jonas before he leaves on his journey?
(a) The memory of sitting on a hammock.
(b) The memory of lying in the sunshine.
(c) The memory of walking on a beach.
(d) The memory of climbing a mountain.
7. What question does Jonas ask his parent, who replied with amusement and chastise him for inappropriate use of words?
(a) Are you proud of me?
(b) Do you approve of my new job?
(c) Do you love me?
(d) Do you understand why I am different?
8. What action of defiance does Jonas take after he lies to his parents about understanding the word "love"?
(a) Jonas leaves the house to see The Giver.
(b) Jonas does not take his pill.
(c) Jonas does not speak to his parents.
(d) Jonas is rude to Gabriel.
9. What will essentially happen if Jonas leaves the community?
(a) The community will miss Jonas.
(b) The community will war against each other.
(c) The community will rid themselves of Jonas's family.
(d) The community will be forced to bear the memories.
10. What happens to the sled during the memory sequence in Chapter 12?
(a) It disappears.
(b) It is different.
(c) It goes too fast.
(d) It breaks.
11. What does Jonas beg for at the end of his receiving of the war memory?
12. What can Jonas now see and keep by Chapter 17?
13. What does the Giver give Jonas when he asks about Fiona's hair?
(a) A pen.
(b) A book.
(c) A test.
(d) A piece of writing.
14. What memory does Jonas transfer to Gabriel as they travel?
(a) The memory of deep exhaustion.
(b) The memory of sunshine.
(c) The memory of silence and calm.
(d) The memory of laughter.
15. What memory does the Giver first give to Jonas to ease his heavy load?
(a) The memory of his spouse.
(b) The sled memory.
(c) The memory of a sunburn.
(d) The memory of the apple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the community when the old Receiver was released?
2. What does Jonas hoard in preparation for his journey?
3. What is the announcement from the Speaker regarding school that brings joy to the students?
4. What happened to the last Receiver, and why did she fail?
5. Because Gabriel is doing so well, where do the nurturers decide that Gabriel must be taken?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)