|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Jonas and Gabriel feel as they travel?
2. What two items does Jonas take with him when he leaves the community?
(a) His mother's food and Lily's bicycle.
(b) Gabriel's comfort object and food.
(c) Stolen food and his father's bike.
(d) Lily's comfort object and her bicycle.
3. What action of defiance does Jonas take after he lies to his parents about understanding the word "love"?
(a) Jonas is rude to Gabriel.
(b) Jonas does not take his pill.
(c) Jonas leaves the house to see The Giver.
(d) Jonas does not speak to his parents.
4. What does the Giver give Jonas a memory of that gives Jonas great pain?
5. What is the first color Jonas is beginning to see?
6. What memory does the Giver first give to Jonas to ease his heavy load?
(a) The sled memory.
(b) The memory of the apple.
(c) The memory of a sunburn.
(d) The memory of his spouse.
7. What is the announcement from the Speaker regarding school that brings joy to the students?
(a) There is no school on July 4th.
(b) The school is out for summer.
(c) The winter holiday is fast approaching.
(d) Today is an unschedule holiday.
8. What happens to the larger twin?
(a) The nurse takes the twin away to be cared for.
(b) The nurse leaves the baby in the room unattended.
(c) The twin goes to a new family.
(d) The twin is taken to another room.
9. When Jonas is on The Giver's couch in Chapter 20, what does Jonas scream that he wants?
(a) To return to the House of Old and work.
(b) To stay with The Giver all night.
(c) To go play with Asher.
(d) To go back to the way he was.
10. What happens to the sled during the memory sequence in Chapter 12?
(a) It disappears.
(b) It breaks.
(c) It is different.
(d) It goes too fast.
11. What does Jonas ask The Giver to watch his Father do?
(a) Release one of the twins.
(b) Prepare dinner.
(c) Work as a nurturer.
(d) Take Lily to school.
12. Jonas asks The Giver if he has ever had what member of family?
(a) A brother.
(b) A mother.
(c) A spouse.
(d) A father.
13. What does the Giver beg Jonas to do when Jonas walks into the Annex to see him in Chapter 15?
(a) Leave the community.
(b) Leave his family.
(c) Go for a walk outside.
(d) Take some of the pain away.
14. What memory does the Giver give Jonas before he leaves on his journey?
(a) The memory of walking on a beach.
(b) The memory of climbing a mountain.
(c) The memory of lying in the sunshine.
(d) The memory of sitting on a hammock.
15. What does Jonas hoard in preparation for his journey?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Giver give Jonas when he asks about Fiona's hair?
2. What do Jonas and Gabriel see in the trees on their way to a new life?
3. What is Jonas's reaction when The Giver begs for forgiveness after he gives Jonas the war memory?
4. What does Jonas suggest The Giver do so his load will not be so heavy?
5. When did the council add the no release rule to the list for Jonas?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)