|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jonas and Gabriel see in the trees on their way to a new life?
(d) Dirt roads.
2. Jonas asks The Giver if he has ever had what member of family?
(a) A mother.
(b) A brother.
(c) A father.
(d) A spouse.
3. What question does Jonas ask his parent, who replied with amusement and chastise him for inappropriate use of words?
(a) Do you understand why I am different?
(b) Do you approve of my new job?
(c) Are you proud of me?
(d) Do you love me?
4. What memory does Jonas give Gabriel during the night as he is trying to calm him down?
(a) The memory of the sled.
(b) The memory of snow.
(c) The memory of sailing.
(d) The memory of a sunburn.
5. What happens to Jonas when he is sledding in Chapter 14?
(a) He wraps the sled around a tree.
(b) He breaks the sled.
(c) He hits a bump and hurts himself.
(d) He collides with a tree.
6. What happens to Jonas on the difficult road?
(a) He gets hit by a car.
(b) He falls off his bike.
(c) He finds a lost child.
(d) He gets a flat tire.
7. What happened to the last Receiver, and why did she fail?
(a) She was not happy to do her job.
(b) She could not handle the good and bad memories.
(c) She upset the community.
(d) She wanted to have a family.
8. Who decids that identical twins would be too complicated?
(a) The former Receiver.
(b) The Elders.
(c) The Department of Justice.
(d) Jonas's Father.
9. Who does Jonas discover is scheduled to be released the morning after the twins?
10. What two items does Jonas take with him when he leaves the community?
(a) Gabriel's comfort object and food.
(b) Stolen food and his father's bike.
(c) His mother's food and Lily's bicycle.
(d) Lily's comfort object and her bicycle.
11. What happens to the larger twin?
(a) The nurse leaves the baby in the room unattended.
(b) The twin goes to a new family.
(c) The twin is taken to another room.
(d) The nurse takes the twin away to be cared for.
12. To where does Jonas plan an escape?
(a) The canyons.
(c) the mountains.
(d) The outskirts of the community.
13. Where do parents move to after their children have grown up?
(a) The school.
(b) The House of the Old.
(c) The nursery.
(d) The childless adult area.
14. What will happen if Jonas dies?
(a) The Giver will receive his memories.
(b) His memories will go back to the people.
(c) He will forget everything.
(d) His parents will receive his bad memories.
15. What is the reason why Gabriel begins to sleep through the night?
(a) Father rocks him to sleep.
(b) Jonas tells him a story.
(c) Jonas transfers peaceful memories to him.
(d) Jonas sings a lullaby to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonas suggest his Father do to help soothe Gabriel during the night?
2. What will essentially happen if Jonas leaves the community?
3. What memory does the Giver first give to Jonas to ease his heavy load?
4. When Jonas is on The Giver's couch in Chapter 20, what does Jonas scream that he wants?
5. What does Jonas no longer care about as the journey gets progressively longer?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)