|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Giver give Jonas when he asks about Fiona's hair?
(a) A piece of writing.
(b) A pen.
(c) A book.
(d) A test.
2. What happens to Jonas on the difficult road?
(a) He gets a flat tire.
(b) He gets hit by a car.
(c) He falls off his bike.
(d) He finds a lost child.
3. When did the council add the no release rule to the list for Jonas?
(a) After the old Receiver died.
(b) When Jonas was born.
(c) When Lily was born.
(d) At the Ceremony of Twelve.
4. What happens to the larger twin?
(a) The twin goes to a new family.
(b) The nurse takes the twin away to be cared for.
(c) The twin is taken to another room.
(d) The nurse leaves the baby in the room unattended.
5. What memory does Jonas give Gabriel during the night as he is trying to calm him down?
(a) The memory of snow.
(b) The memory of sailing.
(c) The memory of a sunburn.
(d) The memory of the sled.
6. What happens to the landscape as Jonas rides upon it in Chapter 22?
(a) It rains and the roads became slippery.
(b) It snows and Jonas cannot see.
(c) Tt changes and becomes difficult to ride on.
(d) It turns into vivid colors.
7. What does Lily want to talk about back at the house in Chapter 17?
(a) Comfort Objects.
8. What happens to the sled during the memory sequence in Chapter 12?
(a) It is different.
(b) It disappears.
(c) It goes too fast.
(d) It breaks.
9. What does Jonas suggest The Giver do so his load will not be so heavy?
(a) Give Jonas painful memories.
(b) Visit the Department of Justice.
(c) Stop seeing Jonas.
(d) Give his books to the House of Old.
10. What is the reason why Gabriel begins to sleep through the night?
(a) Jonas sings a lullaby to him.
(b) Father rocks him to sleep.
(c) Jonas transfers peaceful memories to him.
(d) Jonas tells him a story.
11. What two items does Jonas take with him when he leaves the community?
(a) Gabriel's comfort object and food.
(b) His mother's food and Lily's bicycle.
(c) Lily's comfort object and her bicycle.
(d) Stolen food and his father's bike.
12. What memory does the Giver first give to Jonas to ease his heavy load?
(a) The memory of his spouse.
(b) The memory of a sunburn.
(c) The memory of the apple.
(d) The sled memory.
13. What does the Giver give Jonas a memory of that gives Jonas great pain?
14. Which character is Jonas worried won't understand the concept of Release?
15. What does Jonas no longer care about as the journey gets progressively longer?
(d) The Giver.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because Gabriel is doing so well, where do the nurturers decide that Gabriel must be taken?
2. What question does Jonas ask his parent, who replied with amusement and chastise him for inappropriate use of words?
3. What is Jonas's reaction when The Giver begs for forgiveness after he gives Jonas the war memory?
4. What memories will The Giver transfer to Jonas to prepare him for his escape?
5. When can The Giver apply for release?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)