|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the council add the no release rule to the list for Jonas?
(a) After the old Receiver died.
(b) When Lily was born.
(c) At the Ceremony of Twelve.
(d) When Jonas was born.
2. When can The Giver apply for release?
(a) During Jonas's training.
(b) When the Elders give him permission.
(c) After Jonas has been trained.
(d) When he has reached a certain age.
3. What is the first color Jonas is beginning to see?
4. What action does Father perform on the smaller twin?
(a) He injects the infant with a liquid.
(b) He swaddles the infant in cloth.
(c) He burps the infant.
(d) He gives the infant a bottle filled with a liquid.
5. Because Gabriel is doing so well, where do the nurturers decide that Gabriel must be taken?
(a) To the Department of Justice.
(b) To the House of the Old.
(c) To the nursery.
(d) To the school.
6. What does Father offer Jonas to ease his physical pain after the sledding ride?
(a) A comfort object.
(b) A jacket.
(c) A blanket.
7. What question does Jonas ask his parent, who replied with amusement and chastise him for inappropriate use of words?
(a) Do you understand why I am different?
(b) Are you proud of me?
(c) Do you approve of my new job?
(d) Do you love me?
8. What event does Jonas watch take place right before his eyes during the memory of war?
(a) A bomb explodes.
(b) Two riflemen kill each other in unison.
(c) A long journey through a forest.
(d) A boy his age dies right next to him.
9. What does Jonas hoard in preparation for his journey?
10. What does Gabriel do continuously throughout the night in Chapter 14?
11. What happens to Fiona's hair once Jonas and Fiona arrived at the House of Old in Chapter 12?
(a) She puts it in a ponytail.
(b) She braids it.
(c) She cut it.
(d) I changes.
12. What game do the children play out in the field where Asher and Jonas are playing in Chapter 17?
(a) The game of war.
(b) Red Rover.
(c) The game of tag.
13. What does Jonas ask The Giver to watch his Father do?
(a) Take Lily to school.
(b) Work as a nurturer.
(c) Prepare dinner.
(d) Release one of the twins.
14. What happens to twins born into the community?
(a) They are given to one family.
(b) One gets released.
(c) They do not exist in the community.
(d) They are separated at birth.
15. What memories will The Giver transfer to Jonas to prepare him for his escape?
(a) Fear and joy.
(b) Courage and strength.
(c) Adventure and play.
(d) Skills and knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jonas asks The Giver if he has ever had what member of family?
2. What is Jonas's reaction when The Giver begs for forgiveness after he gives Jonas the war memory?
3. What happened to the community when the old Receiver was released?
4. Who does Jonas discover is scheduled to be released the morning after the twins?
5. What happens to the sled during the memory sequence in Chapter 12?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)