|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is Jonas worried won't understand the concept of Release?
2. When Jonas is on The Giver's couch in Chapter 20, what does Jonas scream that he wants?
(a) To stay with The Giver all night.
(b) To go back to the way he was.
(c) To return to the House of Old and work.
(d) To go play with Asher.
3. When did the council add the no release rule to the list for Jonas?
(a) When Jonas was born.
(b) After the old Receiver died.
(c) At the Ceremony of Twelve.
(d) When Lily was born.
4. Where do parents move to after their children have grown up?
(a) The school.
(b) The nursery.
(c) The childless adult area.
(d) The House of the Old.
5. What action of defiance does Jonas take after he lies to his parents about understanding the word "love"?
(a) Jonas does not speak to his parents.
(b) Jonas is rude to Gabriel.
(c) Jonas leaves the house to see The Giver.
(d) Jonas does not take his pill.
6. What event does Jonas watch take place right before his eyes during the memory of war?
(a) Two riflemen kill each other in unison.
(b) A boy his age dies right next to him.
(c) A bomb explodes.
(d) A long journey through a forest.
7. In what position does Jonas find The Giver in many times?
(b) Writing a new book.
(c) Hunched over in pain.
(d) Painting in color.
8. What does Jonas hoard in preparation for his journey?
9. How do Jonas and Gabriel feel as they travel?
10. What memory does the Giver first give to Jonas to ease his heavy load?
(a) The sled memory.
(b) The memory of his spouse.
(c) The memory of the apple.
(d) The memory of a sunburn.
11. What does Jonas no longer care about as the journey gets progressively longer?
(a) The Giver.
12. What does Jonas feel now as a result of his knowledge of the former Receiver and her failure?
13. What object does Father take out of the cupboard after the identical twins are weighted?
(a) A syringe.
(b) A cup.
(c) A plastic dish.
(d) A knife.
14. What memory does Jonas give Gabriel during the night as he is trying to calm him down?
(a) The memory of a sunburn.
(b) The memory of sailing.
(c) The memory of the sled.
(d) The memory of snow.
15. What happened to the last Receiver, and why did she fail?
(a) She upset the community.
(b) She wanted to have a family.
(c) She was not happy to do her job.
(d) She could not handle the good and bad memories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jonas when he is sledding in Chapter 14?
2. What is the announcement from the Speaker regarding school that brings joy to the students?
3. What memories will The Giver transfer to Jonas to prepare him for his escape?
4. What will essentially happen if Jonas leaves the community?
5. When can The Giver apply for release?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)