|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Are children allowed into the Releasing room?
(a) No, but Jonas is the exception.
(d) Only in December.
2. What does the crowd do to show their acceptance of the Chief Elder's final decision regarding Jonas's assignment?
(a) They chant his name.
(b) They dance.
(c) They sing.
(d) They cheer loudly.
3. What does the Receiver ask Jonas to refer to him as?
(a) The Receiver.
(b) The Giver.
(c) The Beloved.
(d) The Hopeful.
4. What memory sparks a feeling of dread in Jonas at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Jonas disobeys his parents.
(b) There is a release in Jonas's family.
(c) A jet flies over the community.
(d) Jonas lies to his teacher.
5. Which way does the community NOT react to the failure of the former Receiver?
(a) The Receiver's name is never used again.
(b) The Receiver has to pay a fine.
(c) The Receiver's name is never spoken aloud again.
(d) The Receiver's name is removed from the House of Records.
6. What quality does Jonas already have but cannot be described?
(a) The Intelligence to Explore.
(b) The Capacity to See Beyond.
(c) The Logic to Decide.
(d) The Ability to Judge.
7. Which character does Jonas dream of in Chapter 5?
8. How many males are awarded per family?
(c) As many as the parents can care for.
9. What object does The Giver give Jonas the experience of, while he is sitting at the top of a snow-touched hill?
(a) A sled.
(b) A snowboard.
(c) A bobsled.
(d) A pair of skies.
10. What does Jonas rarely do?
(b) Ride his bicycle.
11. Which instruction impresses Jonas the most?
(a) Being able to lie.
(b) Being exempt from rudeness.
(c) Prohibited from Dream-telling.
(d) Not discussing the training with his parents or elders.
12. The Speaker accuses Jonas of this because he took an object home.
13. What is the name of the man that Larissa announces was released the morning Jonas came to the House of the Old?
14. Seven's see the first sign of independence when they are given what article of clothing?
(a) Shoes that buckle.
(b) Long pants.
(c) Front buttoned jackets.
(d) A scarf.
15. What is the activity of telling each family members about dreams?
(a) Dream catchers.
(b) Morning prayers.
(c) Conversations in the morning.
(d) Dream ritual.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assignment does Madeline receive, which Jonas is glad he did not?
2. Where are children sent when they are released?
3. What is the reason why Jonas's community does not have snow?
4. Where does Jonas go to volunteer at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What rule is NOT taken seriously?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)