|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object does The Giver give Jonas the experience of, while he is sitting at the top of a snow-touched hill?
(a) A pair of skies.
(b) A bobsled.
(c) A sled.
(d) A snowboard.
2. What memory sparks a feeling of dread in Jonas at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A jet flies over the community.
(b) There is a release in Jonas's family.
(c) Jonas lies to his teacher.
(d) Jonas disobeys his parents.
3. How does Jonas feel after he receives treatment in Chapter 5?
4. At what age is a comfort toy taken away and recycled to the younger children?
5. What assignment does Lily think sounds like a luxury, a thought for which her mother reprimands her?
6. Why might Gabriel be released?
(a) Lily does not want another brother.
(b) The family cannot have three children.
(c) He does not sleep through the night.
(d) Gabriel cries too often.
7. How many years have the Committee of Elders observed the community in order to decide on the next Receiver?
8. What is Gabriel labeled at the Ceremony of Ones?
9. What does a child do to provoke Adults to call their children by their original number and not their name?
10. Which character does not talk to Jonas after the Ceremony?
11. What step must Tens make to continue on to adulthood?
(a) Obtain shorter hair.
(c) Ride bicycles.
(d) Braid their hair.
12. Where are children sent when they are released?
13. What is the Giver weighted with?
14. What does the crowd do to show their acceptance of the Chief Elder's final decision regarding Jonas's assignment?
(a) They sing.
(b) They dance.
(c) They chant his name.
(d) They cheer loudly.
15. Where are children raised until they are named?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes the opening speech at the Ceremony of Twelves?
2. Who has the final say in changing a rule?
3. What is the name of Jonas's sister?
4. What activity does a person start when they become a Seven?
5. What is the first thing to catch Jonas's eye when the receptionist leads him into the Receiver's office?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)