|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jonas gets home from playing catch with Asher in Chapter 3, he used what device to examine the object?
(a) A telescope.
(b) A camera.
(c) A microscope.
(d) A magnifying glass.
2. What is the name of the man that Larissa announces was released the morning Jonas came to the House of the Old?
3. The Ceremony of Twelve is when the children are assigned their life jobs. Who observes the child before placement?
(a) The Laborers.
(b) The Receiver.
(c) The Elders.
(d) The Nurturers.
4. Most adults do not know _____ about themselves.
(a) The names of their parents.
(b) Their spouses assignment.
(c) Their exact age.
(d) How tall they are.
5. How does Lily react to Mother tying her hair ribbons?
(a) She squints.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She cries.
(d) She fidgets.
6. What can Jonas do now that he is exempt from rudeness?
(a) Say exactly what he wants.
(b) Disobey rules.
(c) Question authority.
(d) Ask any question of any citizen and receive answers.
7. What remedy is used to treat Jonas's new feelings from his dream in Chapter 5?
(a) A comfort toy.
(b) A pill.
(c) A treat.
(d) A punishment.
8. Where does Jonas volunteer in Chapter 4?
(a) A variety of places.
(b) The Department of Justice.
(c) The Childcare Center.
(d) The Nurturing Center.
9. In The Matching of Spouses, which of the following is NOT considered a deciding factor?
10. What memory does the Giver give Jonas, which males him wake with stinging skin?
(c) Skinned knee.
(d) Chapped skin.
11. In Chapter 3, what happens to the object as Asher and Jonas played catch?
(a) It falls apart.
(b) It becomes damaged.
(c) It floats mid-air.
(d) It changes.
12. While Jonas's mother is speaking with him about his dream, Jonas's father takes Lily where?
(b) The park.
(c) The grocery store.
13. What does Jonas rarely do?
(d) Ride his bicycle.
14. What assignment does Lily think sounds like a luxury, a thought for which her mother reprimands her?
15. The Receiver looks like any other person in the community EXCEPT for this one trait:
(a) Broad shoulders.
(b) Dark hair.
(c) Hook nose.
(d) Pale eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mother describes Jonas's new feelings in his dream as what?
2. What is the first thing to catch Jonas's eye when the receptionist leads him into the Receiver's office?
3. What is Lily's comfort object?
4. After Jonas is skipped over, which character receives an assignment as Jonas sits silently hunched in his chair?
5. What is the name of Jonas's sister?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)