Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 1
1. What is Jonas anticipating as the novel opens and why?
2. What ritual is Jonas's family participating in as the novel opens?
3. What event from a year ago does Jonas remember that brings back feelings of fear?
4. Describe Jonas's family.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 2
5. What job does Jonas's father hold in the community?
6. What happens at the Ceremony of Twelve?
7. Who observes the children in order to place them into appropriate jobs?
This section contains 885 words|
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)