|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that plays should show things that might happen?
2. Who comments on how the under-plot had completely nothing to do with the main plot?
3. What does Puff claim is wonderful?
4. What does Puff convince Dangle and Sneer to appear to do?
5. Though Puff says Queen Elizabeth does not appear, what makes it as good as if she did appear?
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Mr. Dangle comes to characterize a sentimental romance as a tragedy. What makes this style a tragedy during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Investigate "The Critic" as a satire. How does it adhere to and differ from the satire? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a satire? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the play as a satire?
Essay Topic 3
How do the minor characters in the play affect the plot? How would the play be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)