|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that plays should show things that might happen?
2. Who refers to a character that refuses to give an opinion unless he is absolutely sure of the facts?
3. Who tells Puff to stop interrupting the rehearsal?
4. What is Puff's play about?
5. Which character is not a playwright?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Sir Fretful Plagiary's behavior a clever ruse to stay in the public eye, or is he ignorant of the criticisms of his work? What do you think, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Investigate "The Critic" as a satire. How does it adhere to and differ from the satire? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a satire? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the play as a satire?
Essay Topic 3
How does Richard Sheridan's occupation as a playwright affect his writing of "The Critic"? How is it ironic that he is mocking his own institution?
This section contains 182 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)