|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that plays should show things that might happen?
2. Who comments on how the under-plot had completely nothing to do with the main plot?
3. What does Puff claim is wonderful?
4. What does Puff convince Dangle and Sneer to appear to do?
5. Though Puff says Queen Elizabeth does not appear, what makes it as good as if she did appear?
Essay Topic 1
Investigate "The Critic" as a satire. How does it adhere to and differ from the satire? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a satire? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the play as a satire?
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree with Shakespeare's theory about actors being "the abstract and brief chronicles of the times"? Do you agree with Puff's interpretation of the theory being applied to plays? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you think is the most important, and why?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)