|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Puff convince Dangle and Sneer to appear to do?
2. Who responds arrogantly to questions and comments during the rehearsal?
3. What does Puff pride himself on?
4. What do Puff, Dangle, and Sneer do at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
5. Who asks if the scene revealed is the setting for the under-plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you think is the most important, and why?
Essay Topic 2
How does Richard Sheridan's occupation as a playwright affect his writing of "The Critic"? How is it ironic that he is mocking his own institution?
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree with Shakespeare's theory about actors being "the abstract and brief chronicles of the times"? Do you agree with Puff's interpretation of the theory being applied to plays? Why or why not?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)