|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Plagiary respond to the offer to help him send his play to producers?
2. What does Sheridan's play satirize?
3. How did Puff's former way of making his living cause him to feel?
4. To what does Sneer compare the modesty of audiences?
5. Who tells Plagiary that his play seems to lack incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Puff do when he enters?
2. What does Puff argue for in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What does Puff have to be assured of constantly during the rehearsal?
4. During and after the scene about the orphan, what does Puff say about this scene?
5. What does each of the characters (Dangle, Mrs. Dangle, and Sneer) believe is the cause of the deterioration of theatre?
6. What does Puff do, as he grows more upset?
7. When the prompter announces the beginning of the rehearsal, what does he warn Puff about?
8. What does Dangle ask Puff about his play, and how does Puff respond?
9. What does Dangle ask Plagiary about his play, and how does Plagiary respond?
10. What happens during the climax of the love scene between Tilburina and Whiskerandos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the minor characters in the play affect the plot? How would the play be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 2
How does the point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the story be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Mr. Dangle comes to characterize a sentimental romance as a tragedy. What makes this style a tragedy during this time?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)