|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Puff express joy at in extravagant language?
2. What claim does Dangle make in defense of the theatre?
3. Who asks for Sneer and Dangle's help at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. How did Puff's former way of making his living cause him to feel?
5. Who tells Plagiary that his play seems to lack incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a satire, and who is the target of this particular satire?
2. What happens during the climax of the love scene between Tilburina and Whiskerandos?
3. What do Dangle, Mrs. Dangle, and Sneer say when Plagiary arrives?
4. Why does Puff become frustrated by the River Thames' appearance?
5. What happens directly after Puff arrives?
6. When Dangle comments on the next scene beginning with a line from Shakespeare's "Othello", how does Puff respond?
7. Describe the conversation between Dangle, Sneer, and Puff regarding Puff's play.
8. Describe Dangle's argument with his wife during breakfast.
9. What does Puff do during Tilburina's mad scene?
10. What does each of the characters (Dangle, Mrs. Dangle, and Sneer) believe is the cause of the deterioration of theatre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the minor characters in the play affect the plot? How would the play be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols used throughout the play to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sneer and Plagiary. How are their relationships with Dangle similar and different?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)