|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Plagiary treat the negative comments about his work?
2. Who does Puff claim that he taught to speak better?
3. Why does Mrs. Dangle claim that Plagiary is a favorite of hers?
4. To what does Sneer compare the modesty of audiences?
5. What type of play is Sheridan's "The Critic"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of Dangle and Sneer's comments about Puff's play?
2. Describe Dangle's argument with his wife during breakfast.
3. What does Puff tell the actors at the end of the play?
4. How does Sneer praise Puff near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. How does Puff respond to Dangle and Sneer's questions and comments?
6. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, Part 2, what does the servant tell Dangle, and how does Sneer react?
7. After the love scene finishes, what does Puff congratulate himself on?
8. Describe the beginning of Dangle and Sneer's conversation regarding Sneer's plays.
9. What does Puff do, as he grows more upset?
10. What does Puff argue for in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters are present in the play as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 2
How does Dangle change throughout the play? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? Are these differences indicative of good and evil?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)