|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refers to a nasty notice about Plagiary's play in an earlier newspaper?
2. What is the slang term for Puff's profession?
3. What is the driving force of this play?
4. What is Plagiary unable to accept?
5. What does the Prologue accuse the Muses of being corrupted by?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is language defined in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. How does Sneer praise Puff near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Why does Puff become frustrated by the River Thames' appearance?
4. What does Puff do during Tilburina's mad scene?
5. What is Puff a professional at?
6. What do Dangle, Mrs. Dangle, and Sneer say when Plagiary arrives?
7. How does Puff respond to Dangle and Sneer's questions and comments?
8. What does Puff have to be assured of constantly during the rehearsal?
9. Describe Puff's play in terms of the dialogue, emotion, etc.
10. What is the point of Dangle and Sneer's comments about Puff's play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Dangle change throughout the play? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 2
How would the story be different if Puff's play was historically accurate?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Mr. Dangle comes to characterize a sentimental romance as a tragedy. What makes this style a tragedy during this time?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)