|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Puff pleaded for charity?
2. When Puff changes his way of making a living, what does he turn to?
3. Who says that abuse is always going to appear from somewhere?
4. Why does Puff object to Sneer's request at first?
5. What does Sneer say about Plagiary's play that he has read?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fear does Plagiary express, and how does Sneer mock him?
2. What does Sneer say about audiences?
3. What does Puff have to be assured of constantly during the rehearsal?
4. What does Puff talk about at great length?
5. How do Dangle, Mrs. Dangle, and Sneer react to the announcement of Plagiary's arrival?
6. When the prompter announces the beginning of the rehearsal, what does he warn Puff about?
7. What is a satire, and who is the target of this particular satire?
8. During and after the scene about the orphan, what does Puff say about this scene?
9. What do Dangle, Sneer and Plagiary argue about?
10. How does Sneer praise Puff near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this play and detail its recurrences throughout the play. What does it add to the action of the play? How does it affect the different characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Sneer and Plagiary. How are their relationships with Dangle similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters are present in the play as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)