|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Plagiary whether he sent his play to any producers?
2. Who is the well-known writer whose pending production Dangle reads about in Act 1, Scene 1, Part 1?
3. Whose purity is referred to in the Prologue?
4. What does Sneer say about Plagiary's play that he has read?
5. Who does Dangle say can give Plagiary good criticism if he wants it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dangle say about the romance in Puff's play, and how does Puff respond?
2. What does Sneer say about audiences?
3. What does Puff have to be assured of constantly during the rehearsal?
4. What does Dangle ask Plagiary about his play, and how does Plagiary respond?
5. How does Dangle defend himself during his argument with his wife?
6. What is a satire, and who is the target of this particular satire?
7. How does Puff describe the love story in his play?
8. Describe the beginning of Dangle and Sneer's conversation regarding Sneer's plays.
9. How does Plagiary react to the imaginary critique of his play?
10. What does each of the characters (Dangle, Mrs. Dangle, and Sneer) believe is the cause of the deterioration of theatre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Sir Fretful Plagiary's behavior a clever ruse to stay in the public eye, or is he ignorant of the criticisms of his work? What do you think, and why?
Essay Topic 2
How does Dangle and Sneer's friendship affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree with Shakespeare's theory about actors being "the abstract and brief chronicles of the times"? Do you agree with Puff's interpretation of the theory being applied to plays? Why or why not?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)