Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What claim does Dangle make in defense of the theatre?
2. Who hints that they have influenced what is read in papers and public advertisements?
3. Who suggests that someone would be doing Plagiary a favor by stealing his ideas?
4. When Plagiary asks if Dangle and Sneer like his play, what does Sneer say?
5. Whose arrival does the servant announce near the end of Act 1, Scene 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. During and after the scene about the orphan, what does Puff say about this scene?
2. What does Puff argue for in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. How does Plagiary demonstrate hypocrisy concerning Sneer?
4. When Dangle comments on the next scene beginning with a line from Shakespeare's "Othello", how does Puff respond?
5. What do Dangle, Sneer and Plagiary argue about?
6. What does Puff use his argument as?
7. What is a satire, and who is the target of this particular satire?
8. What two opinions does Mrs. Dangle give of Plagiary's play?
9. What does Dangle say about the romance in Puff's play, and how does Puff respond?
10. What happens directly after Puff arrives?
Essay Topic 1
How is the setting of "The Critic" significant? What would change if the play were set in a different location?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Mr. Dangle comes to characterize a sentimental romance as a tragedy. What makes this style a tragedy during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sneer and Plagiary. How are their relationships with Dangle similar and different?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)