|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Puff agree to let attend his rehearsal?
2. Who complains that the theatre has deteriorated from a venue suitable for moral messages to a place where people go simply to be entertained?
3. What does Sneer say about Plagiary's play that he has read?
4. How does Plagiary treat the negative comments about his work?
5. What does Sneer explain that the writer of his moralistic comedy about a reformed housebreaker is determined to use the theatre for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Puff argue for in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What is Puff a professional at?
3. What hope does Sneer express concerning Puff's play?
4. What do Sneer and Dangle tell Plagiary about an imaginary critique of his play?
5. How does Dangle defend himself during his argument with his wife?
6. Describe the conversation between Dangle, Sneer, and Puff regarding Puff's play.
7. What do Dangle, Sneer and Plagiary argue about?
8. What do Dangle and Sneer hope for and how does Puff reply?
9. What is the role of the Muses in the Prologue?
10. What does Puff do, as he grows more upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is foreshadowing used in "The Critic"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the play, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 2
How would the story be different if Puff's play was historically accurate?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two of the following: Dangle, Sneer, Puff, and Plagiary.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)