|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks in the Prologue?
2. What does Mrs. Dangle tell Plagiary about Dangle and Sneer?
3. How does Plagiary treat the negative comments about his work?
4. Who says more incidents are needed in the fifth act of Plagiary's play?
5. When Dangle complains about being taken advantage of, what does Sneer remind him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Puff describe the under-plot of his play?
2. What hope does Sneer express concerning Puff's play?
3. How do Dangle, Mrs. Dangle, and Sneer react to the announcement of Plagiary's arrival?
4. What do Sneer and Dangle tell Plagiary about an imaginary critique of his play?
5. How does Plagiary demonstrate hypocrisy concerning Sneer?
6. What is Puff a professional at?
7. What does Dangle say about each of Sneer's plays, and how does Sneer respond?
8. What does Puff do when he enters?
9. What is the role of the Muses in the Prologue?
10. What happens during the climax of the love scene between Tilburina and Whiskerandos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think each character's negative aspects and self-importance affects the play as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in "The Critic"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the play, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 3
Is Sir Fretful Plagiary's behavior a clever ruse to stay in the public eye, or is he ignorant of the criticisms of his work? What do you think, and why?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)