|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that all three men walk to the theatre together?
2. What does Sheridan's play satirize?
3. After Puff's lengthy speech on puffing, what does Sneer claim that he recognizes the importance of?
4. Who decides to invent something that was said about Plagiary's play?
5. Who says more incidents are needed in the fifth act of Plagiary's play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the play quite short?
2. According to Puff, what is the meaning of the man who appears, shakes his head, and exits in silence?
3. What do Dangle, Sneer and Plagiary argue about?
4. What does Puff have to be assured of constantly during the rehearsal?
5. Describe Puff's play in terms of the dialogue, emotion, etc.
6. When the curtain rises in Act 3, Scene 1, what is revealed and what does Puff say?
7. How does Dangle defend himself during his argument with his wife?
8. How does Plagiary demonstrate hypocrisy concerning Sneer?
9. What is the point of Dangle and Sneer's comments about Puff's play?
10. What does Puff do during Tilburina's mad scene?
Essay Topic 1
How is foreshadowing used in "The Critic"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the play, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Sneer and Plagiary. How are their relationships with Dangle similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree with Shakespeare's theory about actors being "the abstract and brief chronicles of the times"? Do you agree with Puff's interpretation of the theory being applied to plays? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)