|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Plagiary treat the negative comments about his work?
2. What does Sneer say the critic wrote about Plagiary?
3. Who speaks in the Prologue?
4. Who says that abuse is always going to appear from somewhere?
5. After Puff's lengthy speech on puffing, what does Sneer claim that he recognizes the importance of?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the curtain rises in Act 3, Scene 1, what is revealed and what does Puff say?
2. How do Dangle, Mrs. Dangle, and Sneer react to the announcement of Plagiary's arrival?
3. What does Puff do when he enters?
4. What do Sneer and Dangle tell Plagiary about an imaginary critique of his play?
5. Describe Dangle's argument with his wife during breakfast.
6. What does Puff tell the actors at the end of the play?
7. What does Puff argue for in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
8. What does Puff have to be assured of constantly during the rehearsal?
9. What happens directly after Puff arrives?
10. What does Dangle say about the romance in Puff's play, and how does Puff respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with Shakespeare's theory about actors being "the abstract and brief chronicles of the times"? Do you agree with Puff's interpretation of the theory being applied to plays? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Is Sir Fretful Plagiary's behavior a clever ruse to stay in the public eye, or is he ignorant of the criticisms of his work? What do you think, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Mr. Dangle comes to characterize a sentimental romance as a tragedy. What makes this style a tragedy during this time?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)