|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims that the theatre's deterioration results from the audience?
2. Whom does Mrs. Dangle claim is the only critic that really matters for those working in the theatre?
3. What is Puff a professional at doing?
4. After Puff's lengthy speech on puffing, what does Sneer claim that he recognizes the importance of?
5. Who suggests that someone would be doing Plagiary a favor by stealing his ideas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Puff do, as he grows more upset?
2. What does Sneer say about audiences?
3. What do Dangle, Sneer, and Plagiary discuss in terms of the incidents in Plagiary's play?
4. Why is the play quite short?
5. How do Dangle and Sneer react to the scene about the orphan?
6. What does Puff do during Tilburina's mad scene?
7. How does Puff describe the under-plot of his play?
8. What does each of the characters (Dangle, Mrs. Dangle, and Sneer) believe is the cause of the deterioration of theatre?
9. When Dangle comments on the next scene beginning with a line from Shakespeare's "Othello", how does Puff respond?
10. Describe the conversation between Dangle, Sneer, and Puff regarding Puff's play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is foreshadowing used in "The Critic"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the play, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols used throughout the play to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 3
How does Richard Sheridan's occupation as a playwright affect his writing of "The Critic"? How is it ironic that he is mocking his own institution?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)