|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Plagiary asks if Dangle and Sneer like his play, what does Sneer say?
2. Who does Puff claim that he taught to speak better?
3. When Mrs. Dangle claims that Plagiary's play is a little long, how does Plagiary respond?
4. What does Plagiary claim is mere vanity?
5. What does Sneer explain that the writer of his moralistic comedy about a reformed housebreaker is determined to use the theatre for?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the curtain rises in Act 3, Scene 1, what is revealed and what does Puff say?
2. What does Puff use his argument as?
3. What does Puff do during Tilburina's mad scene?
4. What does Puff have to be assured of constantly during the rehearsal?
5. How do Dangle, Mrs. Dangle, and Sneer react to the announcement of Plagiary's arrival?
6. What is Puff a professional at?
7. What does Dangle ask Plagiary about his play, and how does Plagiary respond?
8. What happens during the climax of the love scene between Tilburina and Whiskerandos?
9. What is a satire, and who is the target of this particular satire?
10. How does Plagiary react to the imaginary critique of his play?
Essay Topic 1
How is the setting of "The Critic" significant? What would change if the play were set in a different location?
Essay Topic 2
How does Richard Sheridan's occupation as a playwright affect his writing of "The Critic"? How is it ironic that he is mocking his own institution?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think each character's negative aspects and self-importance affects the play as a whole?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)