|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Puff changes his way of making a living, what does he turn to?
2. How did Puff make his living?
3. Whom does Dangle tell his wife to offer refreshments to?
4. As the first scene opens, what are Mr. and Mrs. Dangle doing?
5. What does Sneer say the critic wrote about Plagiary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Puff respond to Dangle and Sneer's questions and comments?
2. What does Puff do during Tilburina's mad scene?
3. When Dangle comments on the next scene beginning with a line from Shakespeare's "Othello", how does Puff respond?
4. How does Plagiary react to the imaginary critique of his play?
5. Why does Puff refuse to walk to the theatre with Dangle and Sneer?
6. How does Puff react to the prompter's warning?
7. How is language defined in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. After the love scene finishes, what does Puff congratulate himself on?
9. How does Dangle defend himself during his argument with his wife?
10. What do Dangle and Sneer hope for and how does Puff reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Richard Sheridan's occupation as a playwright affect his writing of "The Critic"? How is it ironic that he is mocking his own institution?
Essay Topic 2
Is Sir Fretful Plagiary's behavior a clever ruse to stay in the public eye, or is he ignorant of the criticisms of his work? What do you think, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you think is the most important, and why?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)