|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sneer tell Puff is the only thing that could make him respect Puff more?
2. To what does Sneer compare the modesty of audiences?
3. Who tells Puff that his identity has already been published?
4. Who does Dangle say can give Plagiary good criticism if he wants it?
5. How did Puff make his living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Puff react to the prompter's warning?
2. How does Puff describe the under-plot of his play?
3. How does Puff describe the love story in his play?
4. How does Dangle defend himself during his argument with his wife?
5. How does Sneer praise Puff near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
6. Why is the play quite short?
7. What is a satire, and who is the target of this particular satire?
8. Why does Puff become frustrated by the River Thames' appearance?
9. What does Puff do when he enters?
10. What fear does Plagiary express, and how does Sneer mock him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think each character's negative aspects and self-importance affects the play as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
How would the story be different if Puff's play was historically accurate?
Essay Topic 3
How does Richard Sheridan's occupation as a playwright affect his writing of "The Critic"? How is it ironic that he is mocking his own institution?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)