|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Plagiary arrives, what do Dangle and Sneer tell him?
2. Who suggests that all three men walk to the theatre together?
3. Who tells Plagiary that his play seems to lack incident?
4. Who tells Puff that his identity has already been published?
5. When Puff changes his way of making a living, what does he turn to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of Dangle and Sneer's comments about Puff's play?
2. What do Dangle, Sneer and Plagiary argue about?
3. What does Puff argue for in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What do Dangle and Sneer hope for and how does Puff reply?
5. What two opinions does Mrs. Dangle give of Plagiary's play?
6. When the curtain rises in Act 3, Scene 1, what is revealed and what does Puff say?
7. Describe Puff's conversation with the prompter at the end of Act 2, Scene 2.
8. What does Dangle say about each of Sneer's plays, and how does Sneer respond?
9. When Dangle comments on the next scene beginning with a line from Shakespeare's "Othello", how does Puff respond?
10. Describe Dangle's argument with his wife during breakfast.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two of the following: Dangle, Sneer, Puff, and Plagiary.
Essay Topic 2
How does Richard Sheridan's occupation as a playwright affect his writing of "The Critic"? How is it ironic that he is mocking his own institution?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sneer and Plagiary. How are their relationships with Dangle similar and different?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)