|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mrs. Dangle say laughs at her husband behind his back?
2. What does the Prologue accuse the Muses of being corrupted by?
3. Who enters after the musicians leave the room?
4. What does Sneer say about Plagiary's play that he has read?
5. Why does Dangle interrupt his wife at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dangle comments on the next scene beginning with a line from Shakespeare's "Othello", how does Puff respond?
2. How does Plagiary react to the imaginary critique of his play?
3. What does Dangle ask Plagiary about his play, and how does Plagiary respond?
4. Describe the conversation between Dangle, Sneer, and Puff regarding Puff's play.
5. What does each of the characters (Dangle, Mrs. Dangle, and Sneer) believe is the cause of the deterioration of theatre?
6. What is the point of Dangle and Sneer's comments about Puff's play?
7. What does Dangle say about the romance in Puff's play, and how does Puff respond?
8. Describe the scene that is first enacted in Act 3, Scene 1.
9. What does Puff have to be assured of constantly during the rehearsal?
10. Why does Mrs. Dangle ask for Dangle and Sneer's help at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Sneer and Plagiary. How are their relationships with Dangle similar and different?
Essay Topic 2
How do the minor characters in the play affect the plot? How would the play be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 3
Investigate "The Critic" as a satire. How does it adhere to and differ from the satire? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a satire? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the play as a satire?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)