|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that someone would be doing Plagiary a favor by stealing his ideas?
2. Whose ideas are as empty as his words?
3. What does Plagiary claim he is glad when a wise critic does?
4. When does the Servant announce Puff's arrival?
5. Where was "The Critic" first performed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Puff do, as he grows more upset?
2. What does Dangle ask Plagiary about his play, and how does Plagiary respond?
3. What do Dangle, Sneer, and Plagiary discuss in terms of the incidents in Plagiary's play?
4. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, Part 2, what does the servant tell Dangle, and how does Sneer react?
5. What is a satire, and who is the target of this particular satire?
6. What does Sneer say about audiences?
7. What does Dangle say about each of Sneer's plays, and how does Sneer respond?
8. What is the role of the Muses in the Prologue?
9. What do Sneer and Dangle tell Plagiary about an imaginary critique of his play?
10. What fear does Plagiary express, and how does Sneer mock him?
Essay Topic 1
How do you think each character's negative aspects and self-importance affects the play as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
How does Dangle change throughout the play? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree with Shakespeare's theory about actors being "the abstract and brief chronicles of the times"? Do you agree with Puff's interpretation of the theory being applied to plays? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)