|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Puff invite to the last rehearsal of his play?
2. Why does Mrs. Dangle claim that Plagiary is a favorite of hers?
3. Whom does the servant announce at the end of Act 1, Scene 1, Part 1?
4. Why does Puff object to Dangle's suggestion at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What is language defined as in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Puff use his argument as?
2. What does Puff tell the actors at the end of the play?
3. How does Puff respond to Dangle and Sneer's questions and comments?
4. How does Sneer praise Puff near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. How does Puff describe the under-plot of his play?
6. Describe Puff's conversation with the prompter at the end of Act 2, Scene 2.
7. How do Dangle and Sneer react to the scene about the orphan?
8. What did Puff begin to feel guilty about, and how did he alleviate his guilt?
9. What does Dangle say about each of Sneer's plays, and how does Sneer respond?
10. Describe the scene that is first enacted in Act 3, Scene 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this play and detail its recurrences throughout the play. What does it add to the action of the play? How does it affect the different characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two of the following: Dangle, Sneer, Puff, and Plagiary.
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree with Shakespeare's theory about actors being "the abstract and brief chronicles of the times"? Do you agree with Puff's interpretation of the theory being applied to plays? Why or why not?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)