|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Mrs. Dangle claim is the only critic that really matters for those working in the theatre?
(d) The public.
2. Where does Puff agree to meet Dangle and Sneer?
(a) At the theatre.
(b) At the corner between Dangle's house and the theatre.
(c) At Sneer's house.
(d) At Dangle's house.
3. Who praises Puff's cleverness in making a living at puffing?
4. Why would Plagiary rather be abused than not mentioned at all?
(a) Because he will lose his pension otherwise.
(b) Because he needs the money.
(c) Plagiary would not rather be abused than not mentioned at all.
(d) Because he is so desperate to be popular.
5. Dangle comments that one of Sneer's plays is a tragedy, but Sneer disagrees and tells him it is what kind of play?
(a) A Shakespearean classic.
(b) A sentimental romance.
(c) A historical romance.
(d) A satire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Puff make his living?
2. Who complains that the theatre has deteriorated from a venue suitable for moral messages to a place where people go simply to be entertained?
3. What does Puff express joy at in extravagant language?
4. What does Plagiary claim he is glad when a wise critic does?
5. Why does Dangle tell Plagiary that Sneer never means what he says?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Puff describe the under-plot of his play?
2. How do Puff and Dangle comment on the romantic complications in the play?
3. What does Puff talk about at great length?
4. How does Sneer praise Puff near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What do Sneer and Dangle tell Plagiary about an imaginary critique of his play?
6. How does Plagiary react to the imaginary critique of his play?
7. How does Dangle defend himself during his argument with his wife?
8. What is Puff a professional at?
9. Why does Puff refuse to walk to the theatre with Dangle and Sneer?
10. During and after the scene about the orphan, what does Puff say about this scene?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)