|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Puff's play set?
(a) In Italy.
(b) In Iceland.
(c) In Spain.
(d) At Tilbury Fort.
2. Who tells the actors that the rehearsal was good but not quite perfect?
3. Who does Puff order to die repeatedly?
(a) The governor of the fort.
4. What does Puff claim is wonderful?
(a) The acting during the rehearsal.
(b) The revised play.
(c) His original piece of writing.
(d) Dangle and Sneer's attendance at the rehearsal.
5. What should the point about actors be applied to, according to Puff?
6. After the love scene finishes, what does Puff congratulate himself on not doing?
(a) Becoming friends with Sneer.
(b) Improving on long established traditions.
(c) Trying to invent something new.
(d) Directing his play.
7. Who claims that Puff's play is brilliant?
8. Who asks if the scene revealed is the setting for the under-plot?
9. Who suggests that the under-plot could have made a comedy?
10. What does Puff clarify during the rehearsal?
(a) What is meant and what is not meant.
(b) What he thinks of Plagiary's work.
(c) That he does not like Dangle.
(d) That he is a huge fan of the theatre.
11. Who comments that the under-plot is so well formed that it could have made a tragedy all by itself?
12. After the love scene finishes, what does Puff congratulate himself on doing?
(a) Trying to invent something new.
(b) Becoming friends with Sneer.
(c) Directing his play.
(d) Improving on long established traditions.
13. What does the scene contain?
(a) Echoes and references to several such scenes in plays of the period.
(b) The message that language is an obscurer of truth.
(c) A scandal about Queen Elizabeth.
(d) A love triangle.
14. What does Puff plan to do regardless of what happens on stage?
(a) Hold another rehearsal.
(b) Publish every word of his original text.
(c) Hire new actors.
(d) Never produce another play.
15. Which character's name signifies his work being superfluous?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes the play within "The Critic"?
2. What does Puff say will be in his play to Dangle and Sneer's approbation?
3. Who says that plays should show things that might happen?
4. Who announces that everything is ready for the rehearsal to begin?
5. Who asks if Puff has introduced a love story into his plot?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)