|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the curtain reveal when it rises?
(a) The battle at sea scene.
(b) The orphan scene.
(c) The love scene.
(d) A courtroom scene.
2. What offer does Puff make regarding the play?
(a) To change actors for better ones.
(b) To allow Dangle and Sneer to help him edit it.
(c) To cancel production.
(d) To allow the actors to cut or change anything they need to.
3. What happens during the scene in which the characters talk at length about Queen Elizabeth?
(a) Nothing because the scene has been cut.
(b) The orphan discovers his parentage.
(c) A battle scene.
(d) Tilburina goes insane.
4. What does Puff claim that every tragedy has to have?
(a) An affair between the male lead and someone other than the female lead.
(b) An appearance from the current monarch.
(c) A secondary plot with as little connection to the main plot as possible.
(d) A suicide attempt by the female lead.
5. Whose point is being argued about actors being "the abstract and brief chronicles of the times"?
6. How does Puff respond to the question of whether a love story has been introduced into his plot?
(a) He did not include a love story.
(b) He says he did include a love story.
(c) There was nothing easier to do.
(d) He objects to the question because his play is about war.
7. Who tells Puff to stop interrupting the rehearsal?
8. Whom does Puff join in order to watch the rehearsal of his play?
(a) Dangle and Sneer.
(b) Sneer and Puff.
(c) Plagiary and Puff.
(d) Dangle and Puff.
9. Who claims that Puff's play is brilliant?
10. Who says that actors are always good judges?
11. Who has a mad scene in Puff's play?
12. Where is Puff's play set?
(a) In Spain.
(b) At Tilbury Fort.
(c) In Iceland.
(d) In Italy.
13. Who does Puff order to die repeatedly?
(d) The governor of the fort.
14. What does Puff say will be in his play to Dangle and Sneer's approbation?
(a) A fiery battle at sea.
(b) A love scene.
(c) An appearance by Queen Elizabeth.
(d) None of these is correct.
15. Who tells Puff that he is interrupting their feelings?
(c) The actress playing Tilburina.
(d) The actor playing the Spanish soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Puff say that plays should not show?
2. What do Puff, Dangle, and Sneer watch?
3. What does the end of the mad scene lead to?
4. Who writes the play within "The Critic"?
5. Who suggests that the romance in the play is improbable?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)