|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose point is being argued about actors being "the abstract and brief chronicles of the times"?
2. Where is Puff's play set?
(a) In Spain.
(b) In Italy.
(c) At Tilbury Fort.
(d) In Iceland.
3. What does the second scene in Act 3, Scene 1 begin with?
(a) A battle at sea.
(b) The romantic climax.
(c) The orphan scene.
(d) A line from Shakespeare's "Othello".
4. Which character's name signifies his attitude toward other playwrights?
5. What does the old man in the play do?
(a) Laughs at Puff.
(b) Claims that the country will never win the war because they are not just.
(c) Explain that the country will never win the war though they are just.
(d) Shake his head and exit the stage in silence.
6. After the love scene finishes, what does Puff congratulate himself on not doing?
(a) Directing his play.
(b) Improving on long established traditions.
(c) Trying to invent something new.
(d) Becoming friends with Sneer.
7. Who suggests that the under-plot could have made a comedy?
8. Who asks for the music to begin?
9. How does Puff's play continue?
(a) With the old man who shakes his head.
(b) Puff's play ends with all of the actors quitting.
(c) With the scene about the orphan learning about his true parentage.
(d) With romantic complications between Tilburina and Whiskerandos.
10. Who claims that Puff's play is brilliant?
11. Who refers to a character that refuses to give an opinion unless he is absolutely sure of the facts?
12. What is satirized by the hope for a lack of scandal about Queen Elizabeth?
(a) The views of critics that all plays should contain a romance.
(b) The views of critics that all plays should contain a scandal.
13. Who responds arrogantly to questions and comments during the rehearsal?
14. Whom does Puff join in order to watch the rehearsal of his play?
(a) Dangle and Puff.
(b) Dangle and Sneer.
(c) Plagiary and Puff.
(d) Sneer and Puff.
15. Who claims that two people can have the same idea but sometimes one of them just has it first?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prompter tell Puff when Puff calls for the beginning of the next scene?
2. What does Puff use his argument in Act 2, Scene 1 for?
3. Which character is not a playwright?
4. Who suggests that the romance in the play is improbable?
5. How does Puff react to the placement of the actor playing the River Thames and the actors playing the river's banks?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)