|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the young man in the scene learn?
(a) That he is in love with the daughter of the governor of the fort.
(b) That he is actually the child of a well-born family rather than an orphan of low, criminal background.
(c) That he is slowly going insane.
(d) That he will never survive the war.
2. What do Puff, Dangle, and Sneer watch?
(a) Puff's family arriving.
(b) They are too busy arguing to watch anything.
(c) The actors quitting.
(d) The actors in Puff's play rehearse.
3. Who asks if Puff has introduced a love story into his plot?
(a) Mrs. Dangle.
4. What does Puff claim about the appearance of the line that begins the second scene of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) It is an important argument about theatre.
(b) Puff changes the line.
(c) It is just a coincidence.
(d) It is a classic.
5. What offer does Puff make regarding the play?
(a) To change actors for better ones.
(b) To allow the actors to cut or change anything they need to.
(c) To allow Dangle and Sneer to help him edit it.
(d) To cancel production.
6. What does Puff claim is wonderful?
(a) His original piece of writing.
(b) The acting during the rehearsal.
(c) The revised play.
(d) Dangle and Sneer's attendance at the rehearsal.
7. Who asks for the music to begin?
8. Why does Puff claim that he must have a mad scene in his play?
(a) Because it is his new invention.
(b) Because Sneer and Dangle tell him that it is necessary.
(c) Because all plays have a mad scene.
(d) He does not have a mad scene in his play.
9. How does Puff react to the placement of the actor playing the River Thames and the actors playing the river's banks?
(a) He laughs at the comic effect.
(b) He becomes frustrated.
(c) He fires the actors.
(d) He approves of the actors.
10. What should the point about actors be applied to, according to Puff?
11. What do Dangle and Sneer express a hope for after the love scene?
(a) The appearance of King Ferdinand.
(b) The appearance of Queen Elizabeth and a battle.
(c) A suicide attempt by one of the secondary characters.
(d) A battle scene in which Tilburina dies.
12. Who responds arrogantly to questions and comments during the rehearsal?
13. After the love scene finishes, what does Puff congratulate himself on doing?
(a) Improving on long established traditions.
(b) Becoming friends with Sneer.
(c) Trying to invent something new.
(d) Directing his play.
14. Who tells Puff that he is interrupting their feelings?
(a) The actor playing the Spanish soldier.
(d) The actress playing Tilburina.
15. Where is Puff's play set?
(a) In Spain.
(b) In Italy.
(c) At Tilbury Fort.
(d) In Iceland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the second scene in Act 3, Scene 1 begin with?
2. How does Dangle respond to Puff's lament?
3. What does the curtain reveal when it rises?
4. Who does not believe that the complicated meaning of the old man's actions was conveyed by his actions?
5. What do the comments about the Spanish Armada and Tilbury refer to?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)