|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who reassures Puff that the changes made are for the good of the play?
(d) The actors.
2. What does Puff claim is wonderful?
(a) His original piece of writing.
(b) The acting during the rehearsal.
(c) Dangle and Sneer's attendance at the rehearsal.
(d) The revised play.
3. Who announces that everything is ready for the rehearsal to begin?
(d) The prompter.
4. What kind of emotion is presented in Puff's play?
(d) None whatsoever.
5. Who says that plays should show things that might happen?
6. In "The Critic", what does the specific satirize?
(a) The critics.
(b) The general.
(c) The detailed.
7. What does Puff use his argument in Act 2, Scene 1 for?
(a) An attempt to convince Dangle to watch the rehearsal.
(b) An explanation for becoming an actor.
(c) An explanation for writing his play.
(d) An attempt to convince Sneer to watch the rehearsal.
8. Who does Puff order to die repeatedly?
(b) The governor of the fort.
9. What does Puff convince Dangle and Sneer to appear to do?
(a) Go home early.
(b) Attend the last rehearsal of his play.
(c) Go to dinner with him.
(d) Alter their opinions.
10. What does the old man in the play do?
(a) Laughs at Puff.
(b) Claims that the country will never win the war because they are not just.
(c) Explain that the country will never win the war though they are just.
(d) Shake his head and exit the stage in silence.
11. Which character's name signifies his attitude toward other playwrights?
12. As Puff grows increasing upset, whom does he push?
(b) The actress playing Tilburina.
(d) A secondary character.
13. What is satirized by the hope for a lack of scandal about Queen Elizabeth?
(c) The views of critics that all plays should contain a scandal.
(d) The views of critics that all plays should contain a romance.
14. After the love scene finishes, what does Puff congratulate himself on doing?
(a) Directing his play.
(b) Trying to invent something new.
(c) Becoming friends with Sneer.
(d) Improving on long established traditions.
15. What do Puff, Dangle, and Sneer watch?
(a) The actors quitting.
(b) Puff's family arriving.
(c) The actors in Puff's play rehearse.
(d) They are too busy arguing to watch anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the comments about the Spanish Armada and Tilbury refer to?
2. What offer does Puff make regarding the play?
3. What does Puff plan to do regardless of what happens on stage?
4. Who comments that Puff's play seems contrived and artificial?
5. What directions does Puff give the actors during the rehearsal?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)