|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Plagiary respond to the offer to help him send his play to producers?
(a) He does not intend to send his play to producers.
(b) He refuses the offer because he does not trust it.
(c) He says he has already sent it out.
(d) He accepts the offer.
2. As the first scene opens, what are Mr. and Mrs. Dangle doing?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Eating breakfast.
(c) Rehearsing a scene from their play.
(d) Reading a book to their child.
3. Who tells Puff that his identity has already been published?
4. To what does Sneer compare the modesty of audiences?
(a) The false modesty of prostitutes.
(b) The true modesty of nuns.
(c) The false modesty of police officers.
(d) The false modesty of teachers.
5. Who praises Puff's cleverness in making a living at puffing?
6. Who suggests that someone would be doing Plagiary a favor by stealing his ideas?
7. Whom does Mrs. Dangle say laughs at her husband behind his back?
(a) Theatre people and non-theatre people alike.
(b) Everyone that they know.
8. What does Plagiary claim is mere vanity?
(a) Accepting invitations.
(b) Writing about one's life.
(c) Believing praise.
(d) Being upset by negativity.
9. How did Puff make his living?
(a) By writing plays.
(b) By inventing a series of personal setbacks and writing about them.
(c) By writing novels about his childhood.
(d) By producing plays.
10. Who complains that the theatre has deteriorated from a venue suitable for moral messages to a place where people go simply to be entertained?
(a) Sneer and Mrs. Dangle.
11. Who tells Plagiary that his play seems to lack incident?
(b) Mrs. Dangle.
12. What is Dangle's only interest?
(c) His wife.
13. What does Mrs. Dangle tell Plagiary about Dangle and Sneer?
(a) That they want to support him financially.
(b) She does not tell them anything.
(c) That they were both just saying how much they hated his play.
(d) That she hates both Dangle and Sneer.
14. Whom does Puff agree to let attend his rehearsal?
15. Where was "The Critic" first performed?
(a) Drury Lane Theatre.
(b) Three Theatres.
(c) The Theater of London.
(d) The Globe Theatre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dangle say about Sneer before Sneer enters?
2. What is Puff a professional at doing?
3. Who does Dangle say can give Plagiary good criticism if he wants it?
4. When Plagiary asks if Dangle and Sneer like his play, what does Sneer say?
5. What is language defined as in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)