|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Puff pleaded for charity?
(a) He was arrested.
(b) He made a lot of money.
(c) He lost money.
(d) He never pleaded for charity.
2. Dangle comments that one of Sneer's plays is a tragedy, but Sneer disagrees and tells him it is what kind of play?
(a) A sentimental romance.
(b) A historical romance.
(c) A satire.
(d) A Shakespearean classic.
3. What does Puff list examples of?
(a) The writers that are not good.
(b) The different ways in which puffing is used.
(c) The friends he has.
(d) The plays that he has written.
4. Where was "The Critic" first performed?
(a) Three Theatres.
(b) Drury Lane Theatre.
(c) The Theater of London.
(d) The Globe Theatre.
5. Who announces Sneer's arrival?
(b) The chauffeur.
(c) A servant.
(d) Mrs. Dangle.
6. What does the Prologue accuse the Muses of being corrupted by?
(a) The gods and goddesses of Olympus.
(b) The desire to please artistic critics.
7. Who asks to accompany Dangle to Puff's rehearsal?
8. Where does Act 1, Scene 1, Part 1 begin?
(a) In the street.
(b) In the theatre.
(c) In Dangle's house.
(d) In Plagiary's house.
9. Why does Puff object to Sneer's request at first?
(a) He does not like Sneer.
(b) He does not want to be known as the author.
(c) He is not producing a play.
(d) He never objects to Sneer's request.
10. What does Mrs. Dangle tell Plagiary about Dangle and Sneer?
(a) That she hates both Dangle and Sneer.
(b) She does not tell them anything.
(c) That they want to support him financially.
(d) That they were both just saying how much they hated his play.
11. When Dangle complains about being taken advantage of, what does Sneer remind him?
(a) That he is not able to do anything anyway.
(b) That he enjoys being in the middle of things.
(c) That he volunteered.
(d) That he is not being taken advantage of.
12. When does the Servant announce Puff's arrival?
(a) As Puff enters the room.
(b) After the musicians finish playing.
(c) Before the musicians start playing.
(d) When Dangle enters the room.
13. As the first scene opens, what are Mr. and Mrs. Dangle doing?
(a) Eating breakfast.
(b) Rehearsing a scene from their play.
(c) Eating dinner.
(d) Reading a book to their child.
14. What is Puff a professional at doing?
(a) Improving the words and writings of others.
(b) Writing plays.
(c) Acting in tragedies.
15. What is language defined as in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) The indisputable truth.
(b) A means to secure friendship.
(c) A powerful obscurer of truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose language obscures who he truly is?
2. What does Dangle say about Sneer before Sneer enters?
3. Who asks for Sneer and Dangle's help at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What is Plagiary unable to accept?
5. When Plagiary arrives, what do Dangle and Sneer tell him?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)