|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refers to a nasty notice about Plagiary's play in an earlier newspaper?
(c) Mrs. Dangle.
2. After Puff's lengthy speech on puffing, what does Sneer claim that he recognizes the importance of?
(a) The theatre.
(b) Sneer's family life.
(c) Puff's profession.
(d) Puff's last rehearsal.
3. When Mrs. Dangle claims that Plagiary's play is a little long, how does Plagiary respond?
(a) He completely ignores her.
(b) He claims that it is actually short.
(c) He storms out of the room.
(d) He agrees with her.
4. As the first scene opens, what are Mr. and Mrs. Dangle doing?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Rehearsing a scene from their play.
(c) Reading a book to their child.
(d) Eating breakfast.
5. Who does Dangle say can give Plagiary good criticism if he wants it?
(b) Mrs. Dangle.
6. What claim does Dangle make in defense of the theatre?
(a) It is important because it reveals the values of the time and its people.
(b) It is fun to watch.
(c) It is important because it shows real life.
(d) It is tiresome and exhausting.
7. What does Sneer say the critic wrote about Plagiary?
(a) That Plagiary is completely uninventive.
(b) That Plagiary is a very good writer.
(c) That Plagiary should stop writing.
(d) That Plagiary should be paid more.
8. Why does Dangle tell Plagiary that Sneer never means what he says?
(a) To prevent an argument.
(b) To anger Sneer.
(c) Because it is true.
(d) To be funny.
9. Dangle comments that one of Sneer's plays is a tragedy, but Sneer disagrees and tells him it is what kind of play?
(a) A satire.
(b) A sentimental romance.
(c) A historical romance.
(d) A Shakespearean classic.
10. Why does Dangle interrupt his wife at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1, Part 2?
(a) To say that she is wrong.
(b) To ask for some tea.
(c) To say that he is hungry.
(d) To remind her that the children are calling her.
11. Why does Puff object to Dangle's suggestion at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Because he has puffing to do.
(b) Puff agrees to Dangle's suggestion.
(c) Because he thinks it is a bad suggestion.
(d) Because he needs to go home for dinner.
12. Who asks to accompany Dangle to Puff's rehearsal?
13. When Plagiary asks if Dangle and Sneer like his play, what does Sneer say?
(a) That he loves it.
(b) That he did not read it.
(c) That he hates it.
(d) That he used it in his fire.
14. Whom does the servant announce at the end of Act 1, Scene 1, Part 1?
(c) Sir Fretful Plagiary.
15. What does Dangle say about Sneer before Sneer enters?
(a) That Sneer is his brother.
(b) That he dislikes Sneer's company.
(c) That they are best friends.
(d) That Sneer is a horrible writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who announces Sneer's arrival?
2. What kind of producers do Dangle, Sneer and Plagiary question the wisdom of sending a play to?
3. Where was "The Critic" first performed?
4. What does the Prologue accuse the Muses of being corrupted by?
5. Whom does Dangle tell his wife to offer refreshments to?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)