|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Sneer compare the modesty of audiences?
(a) The false modesty of police officers.
(b) The false modesty of teachers.
(c) The false modesty of prostitutes.
(d) The true modesty of nuns.
2. Why does Puff object to Dangle's suggestion at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Because he thinks it is a bad suggestion.
(b) Puff agrees to Dangle's suggestion.
(c) Because he needs to go home for dinner.
(d) Because he has puffing to do.
3. When Plagiary asks if Dangle and Sneer like his play, what does Sneer say?
(a) That he hates it.
(b) That he loves it.
(c) That he used it in his fire.
(d) That he did not read it.
4. Where was "The Critic" first performed?
(a) The Globe Theatre.
(b) The Theater of London.
(c) Three Theatres.
(d) Drury Lane Theatre.
5. Who complains that Plagiary insists no playwright but himself is any good?
6. When Plagiary arrives, what do Dangle and Sneer tell him?
(a) How tired they are.
(b) How much they want to see Puff's new play.
(c) How much they like his play.
(d) How much they hate his play.
7. When Puff changes his way of making a living, what does he turn to?
(a) His training as a chef.
(b) His talents in acting and theatrics.
(c) His talents for word usage and manipulation.
(d) His training as a carriage driver.
8. Who tells Puff that his identity has already been published?
9. Who is the well-known writer whose pending production Dangle reads about in Act 1, Scene 1, Part 1?
10. What does Dangle say about Sneer before Sneer enters?
(a) That Sneer is a horrible writer.
(b) That they are best friends.
(c) That he dislikes Sneer's company.
(d) That Sneer is his brother.
11. When does the Servant announce Puff's arrival?
(a) When Dangle enters the room.
(b) As Puff enters the room.
(c) Before the musicians start playing.
(d) After the musicians finish playing.
12. As the first scene opens, what are Mr. and Mrs. Dangle doing?
(a) Reading a book to their child.
(b) Eating dinner.
(c) Rehearsing a scene from their play.
(d) Eating breakfast.
13. Who praises Puff's cleverness in making a living at puffing?
14. Who speaks in the Prologue?
(a) William Shakespeare.
(b) The Honourable Richard Fitzpatrick.
(c) The main actor.
(d) Richard Brinsley Sheridan.
15. Who does Dangle say can give Plagiary good criticism if he wants it?
(c) Mrs. Dangle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sneer say about Plagiary's play that he has read?
2. Who says more incidents are needed in the fifth act of Plagiary's play?
3. Whose purity is referred to in the Prologue?
4. What does Sheridan's play satirize?
5. Who has a problem understanding the Italian musicians and the Interpreter?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)