Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What claim does Dangle make in defense of the theatre?
(a) It is fun to watch.
(b) It is important because it reveals the values of the time and its people.
(c) It is important because it shows real life.
(d) It is tiresome and exhausting.
2. Who hints that they have influenced what is read in papers and public advertisements?
3. Who suggests that someone would be doing Plagiary a favor by stealing his ideas?
4. When Plagiary asks if Dangle and Sneer like his play, what does Sneer say?
(a) That he used it in his fire.
(b) That he hates it.
(c) That he did not read it.
(d) That he loves it.
5. Whose arrival does the servant announce near the end of Act 1, Scene 1, Part 2?
(b) A group of Italian musicians and an Interpreter.
6. What does the Prologue accuse the Muses of being corrupted by?
(b) The desire to please artistic critics.
(c) The gods and goddesses of Olympus.
7. Whom does Mrs. Dangle say laughs at her husband behind his back?
(b) Theatre people and non-theatre people alike.
(c) Everyone that they know.
8. How did Puff make his living?
(a) By writing novels about his childhood.
(b) By inventing a series of personal setbacks and writing about them.
(c) By writing plays.
(d) By producing plays.
9. To what does Sneer compare the modesty of audiences?
(a) The false modesty of police officers.
(b) The false modesty of prostitutes.
(c) The false modesty of teachers.
(d) The true modesty of nuns.
10. What does Plagiary say about Sneer in an aside?
(a) How rich Sneer is.
(b) How he is related to Sneer.
(c) He does not speak about Sneer in an aside.
(d) How much he dislikes Sneer.
11. Where does Puff agree to meet Dangle and Sneer?
(a) At Dangle's house.
(b) At the corner between Dangle's house and the theatre.
(c) At Sneer's house.
(d) At the theatre.
12. What type of play is Sheridan's "The Critic"?
13. What does Puff list examples of?
(a) The writers that are not good.
(b) The friends he has.
(c) The different ways in which puffing is used.
(d) The plays that he has written.
14. What is the slang term for Puff's profession?
(d) None of the answers is correct.
15. Who worries that they have been too hard on Plagiary?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who praises Puff's cleverness in making a living at puffing?
2. Whom does Mrs. Dangle claim is the only critic that really matters for those working in the theatre?
3. As the first scene opens, what are Mr. and Mrs. Dangle doing?
4. Who enters after the musicians leave the room?
5. Dangle comments that one of Sneer's plays is a tragedy, but Sneer disagrees and tells him it is what kind of play?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)