|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who worries that they have been too hard on Plagiary?
2. Who does Puff claim that he taught to speak better?
3. Why does Puff object to Dangle's suggestion at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Because he thinks it is a bad suggestion.
(b) Puff agrees to Dangle's suggestion.
(c) Because he has puffing to do.
(d) Because he needs to go home for dinner.
4. Who is the well-known writer whose pending production Dangle reads about in Act 1, Scene 1, Part 1?
5. When Dangle complains about being taken advantage of, what does Sneer remind him?
(a) That he volunteered.
(b) That he is not being taken advantage of.
(c) That he is not able to do anything anyway.
(d) That he enjoys being in the middle of things.
6. Who claims that the theatre's deterioration results from the audience?
7. Why does Puff object to Sneer's request at first?
(a) He never objects to Sneer's request.
(b) He does not like Sneer.
(c) He does not want to be known as the author.
(d) He is not producing a play.
8. What does Puff list examples of?
(a) The writers that are not good.
(b) The friends he has.
(c) The plays that he has written.
(d) The different ways in which puffing is used.
9. Why does Dangle interrupt his wife at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1, Part 2?
(a) To remind her that the children are calling her.
(b) To ask for some tea.
(c) To say that he is hungry.
(d) To say that she is wrong.
10. Who says that abuse is always going to appear from somewhere?
11. What does the Prologue accuse the Muses of being corrupted by?
(b) The gods and goddesses of Olympus.
(d) The desire to please artistic critics.
12. Who decides to invent something that was said about Plagiary's play?
(a) Sneer and Dangle.
(d) Mrs. Dangle.
13. After Puff's lengthy speech on puffing, what does Sneer claim that he recognizes the importance of?
(a) Puff's last rehearsal.
(b) Sneer's family life.
(c) Puff's profession.
(d) The theatre.
14. Who asks for Sneer and Dangle's help at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(b) Mrs. Dangle.
15. What is the slang term for Puff's profession?
(d) None of the answers is correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of play is Sheridan's "The Critic"?
2. What does Mrs. Dangle tell Plagiary about Dangle and Sneer?
3. When does the Servant announce Puff's arrival?
4. Where was "The Critic" first performed?
5. What does Sheridan's play satirize?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)