|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
(a) It will hardly hurt.
(b) Few patients have negative side effects.
(c) All patients are scared to death the first time.
(d) She will feel like she has gone to sleep.
2. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
(a) Esther's mother requested that no one be able to see her.
(b) Dr. Nolan does not like Esther's mother.
(c) She believes the visitors set back Esther's progress.
(d) Dr. Nolan is concerned for Esther's safety.
3. Why does Esther like Doreen?
(a) She is fashion conscious.
(b) She provides a smoking partner for Esther.
(c) She is witty and sarcastic.
(d) She is wealthy.
4. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
(a) She yells at George Bakewell.
(b) She attacks her mother.
(c) She refuses shock treatment.
(d) She breaks a mirror.
5. How does Esther feel when she hangs up the phone after talking with Buddy?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
2. How often does Buddy commit to seeing Esther once they begin dating?
3. Why does Esther think that Mr. Willard is telling her that he and his wife had always wanted a daughter?
4. What does Jay Cee suggest that Esther do to distinguish herself from other women applying to be magazine editors?
5. How does Buddy characterize poetry?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)