|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Esther about the English program at her mother's college?
(a) She has already met all of the requirements.
(b) It is surprisingly difficult.
(c) There is no honors program in the English department.
(d) There are more requirements than her own college.
2. What wakes Esther up later in the night?
(a) A phone call from Doreen.
(b) Doreen knocking on her door calling her.
(c) A nightmare about Doreen being hurt by Lenny.
(d) Betsy knocking on her door asking for her to come help Doreen.
3. What does Constantin ask Esther to do when they go to his apartment?
(a) Have sex with him
(b) Begin dating
(c) Listen to records
(d) Have a drink with him
4. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
(a) They look like they do not belong at the hospital.
(b) They are hardly moving.
(c) They all look sick.
(d) They have blank looks on their faces.
5. What does Esther do to help herself feel better after the botched night with Doreen and Lenny?
(a) She has a drink.
(b) She calls her mother for moral support.
(c) She smokes a cigarette.
(d) She takes a hot bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Esther disturbed by Buddy's view of poetry?
2. What is Esther's first reaction when Buddy proposes to her?
3. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
4. What does Esther resolve to do during her summer at home?
5. How does Esther feel when she hangs up the phone after talking with Buddy?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)