|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bannister discover about Esther one evening?
(a) She has had a reaction to the insulin injections.
(b) She is sleeping too much.
(c) She has thrown out the roses from her mother.
(d) She is not responding to the insulin injections.
2. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
(a) As the award for winning a modeling contest, she is modeling for a fashion magazine.
(b) She is attending New York University.
(c) As the award for winning a writing contest, she is interning at a fashion magazine.
(d) Esther is taking a summer writing course.
3. What surprises Esther about the English program at her mother's college?
(a) It is surprisingly difficult.
(b) There are more requirements than her own college.
(c) There is no honors program in the English department.
(d) She has already met all of the requirements.
4. What surprises Esther about Buddy's appearance when she first sees him at the sanatorium?
(a) He has lost weight.
(b) He has gained weight.
(c) He looks pale and sickly.
(d) He has cut his hair short.
5. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
(a) She dumps all of the green beans on her plate.
(b) She slaps her thighs and yells at the doctors.
(c) She insults the food service person.
(d) She complains about the food that is served that day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What faux pas does Esther make with the bellman when she first arrives at the Amazon?
2. Why is Buddy eager for Esther to read the poem "Florida Dawn"?
3. What trait does Buddy have that Esther thinks would make him a good teacher?
4. What does Mrs. Greenwood convince Esther she should do since she will not be taking the writing course?
5. Why does Esther think that Mr. Willard is telling her that he and his wife had always wanted a daughter?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)