|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther feel depressed when she returns to the Amazon?
(a) She wishes she had gone to the magazine party instead of to Lenny's apartment.
(b) She feels abandoned by Doreen.
(c) It is smoky in her room.
(d) It is utterly silent in her room.
2. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy calls her at college?
(a) She rarely receives phone calls.
(b) He is angry at her and vowed never to speak to her again.
(c) She had broken up with him and did not expect to hear from him.
(d) He usually writes letters because he is too cheap to pay for long distance.
3. What does Marco remind Esther of?
(a) A snake in the zoo
(b) A movie star
(c) A diamond
(d) A tango dancer
4. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
(a) He changes the subject.
(b) He is sympathetic to her concerns about not being able to write.
(c) He asks to speak to her mother.
(d) He diagnoses her as depressed.
5. What keeps Esther from losing her virginity to Constantin?
(a) She decides that she would rather wait until she is married.
(b) Constantin refuses to have sex with her.
(c) She receives a phone call and must leave his apartment.
(d) They fall asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Ladies' Day magazine staff send to the girls as gifts?
2. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
3. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
4. At what age does Esther say she stopped being "purely happy"?
5. What does Buddy tell Esther she will want to abandon once she has children?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)