|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Esther's room full of smoke when she returns home from Lenny's apartment?
(a) The smoke materialized out of nowhere.
(b) Doreen left a cigarette burning in an ashtray.
(c) Doreen had been smoking before they left and had failed to open the window.
(d) There is a fire in Esther's room.
2. What trait does Buddy have that Esther thinks would make him a good teacher?
(a) He is always trying to explain things to Esther.
(b) He has a keen interest in learning.
(c) His father was a teacher.
(d) He is very knowledgeable about biology.
3. How does Buddy characterize poetry?
(a) He sees them as capturing all the beauty there is in the world.
(b) He likens them to the cadavers he dissects in medical school.
(c) He calls them worthless pieces of junk.
(d) He calls poems pieces of dust.
4. Why won't Buddy allow Esther to ski down the hill again?
(a) He says her leg is broken in two places.
(b) He wants to return to the sanatorium.
(c) He is concerned she will break her leg.
(d) She does not know how to ski.
5. What is the first thing that Esther notices about Marco?
(a) His dark eyes
(b) His crass attitude
(c) His dark suit
(d) His stick pin
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esther's mother ask her about what happened to her face?
2. Who is the only man that Esther ever considered losing her virginity to?
3. Who comes to rescue Esther when she passes out in the bathroom of the Amazon?
4. Why does Esther think that Mr. Willard is telling her that he and his wife had always wanted a daughter?
5. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)