|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Esther want her picture taken for the magazine?
(a) She doesn't like the way they styled her hair.
(b) She feels insulted by Jay Cee.
(c) She is about to begin crying.
(d) She doesn't like the paper rose that Jay Cee gave her to hold.
2. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
(a) She is attending New York University.
(b) As the award for winning a writing contest, she is interning at a fashion magazine.
(c) As the award for winning a modeling contest, she is modeling for a fashion magazine.
(d) Esther is taking a summer writing course.
3. What keeps Esther and Doreen from attending the magazine party?
(a) They do not want to spend time with Betsy and the other girls from the Amazon.
(b) Their cab is stuck in traffic and they do not arrive until the party is over.
(c) They decide to go to a bar for drinks with Lenny and Frankie.
(d) They do not want to spend time with the magazine staff.
4. Why is Buddy eager for Esther to read the poem "Florida Dawn"?
(a) He wrote it.
(b) His father wrote it.
(c) He thinks she will enjoy it.
(d) He believes it is the next great masterpiece of American poetry.
5. What does Jay Cee give Esther as she leaves for her lunch date with the two authors?
(a) A stack of manuscripts.
(b) Some medication.
(c) A sealed envelope.
(d) A new dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Esther the most about Marco?
2. What faux pas does Esther make with the bellman when she first arrives at the Amazon?
3. What does Buddy take Esther to do while she is visiting him at the sanatorium?
4. What unusual gift does Buddy give Esther when she arrives in his room?
5. What does Constantin say is the most difficult aspect of simultaneous translation?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)