|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
(a) She is attending New York University.
(b) As the award for winning a modeling contest, she is modeling for a fashion magazine.
(c) Esther is taking a summer writing course.
(d) As the award for winning a writing contest, she is interning at a fashion magazine.
2. Why does Esther say she would never marry Buddy Willard?
(a) She has no desire to marry anyone.
(b) She believes he is a hypocrite.
(c) She is in love with Constantin.
(d) She hates Mrs. Willard and could not stand to be her daughter-in-law.
3. Why won't Esther let Doreen come into her room when she returns from Lenny's?
(a) She fears she will never get rid of her again.
(b) She is angry at Doreen for waking her up.
(c) She is angry at Doreen for not accompanying her on the long walk back to the hotel.
(d) She fears she will vomit on her bed.
4. What did Esther do the first time she saw a finger bowl?
(a) She ate the contents, thinking it was an exotic soup.
(b) She panicked not knowing what to do with it.
(c) She asked her hostess what it was for.
(d) She dipped her fingers in it to clean them.
5. What does Esther do to offend the driver of the first cab she rides in?
(a) She criticizes his erratic driving.
(b) She fails to tip him because she does not understand she needs to tip service people.
(c) She vomits in his cab.
(d) She tips him well below the standard rate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther tell Frankie her name is?
2. How does Buddy characterize poetry?
3. Who comes to rescue Esther when she passes out in the bathroom of the Amazon?
4. What sorts of foods does Esther say she likes the best?
5. Why does Esther feel depressed when she returns to the Amazon?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)