|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esther do as Lenny and Doreen dance?
(a) She sits on the bear skin rug and drinks.
(b) She leaves Lenny's apartment.
(c) She joins them and dances.
(d) She falls asleep on Lenny's bed.
2. Why is Esther afraid of taking chemistry?
(a) She cannot stand reducing life to numbers and formulas.
(b) She does not like Mr. Manzi's teaching style.
(c) She does not think her brain can handle learning the periodic table.
(d) She does not want to take the lab requirement.
3. What disheartens Esther the most about Jay Cee's suggestions for bolstering her career?
(a) Esther believed that her thesis on Finnegan's Wake was her ticket to getting a job as an editor.
(b) Esther believed she was a strong writer, but Jay Cee tells her she is not.
(c) Esther cannot afford to take additional language courses.
(d) Esther has no room in her senior schedule to take language courses.
4. What course does Esther convince her college dean to exempt her from taking?
5. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
(a) She always earns A's in his courses.
(b) He believes she has the skills and talent to be a successful science major.
(c) He believes she has a purely intellectual interest in science.
(d) She asks interesting questions during his lectures.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Esther's room full of smoke when she returns home from Lenny's apartment?
2. What wakes Esther up later in the night?
3. Why does Esther feel depressed when she returns to the Amazon?
4. What does Jay Cee suggest that Esther do to distinguish herself from other women applying to be magazine editors?
5. Which of the girls at the Amazon does Esther spend the most time with?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)