|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther feel depressed when she returns to the Amazon?
(a) She wishes she had gone to the magazine party instead of to Lenny's apartment.
(b) It is utterly silent in her room.
(c) It is smoky in her room.
(d) She feels abandoned by Doreen.
2. Why is Esther afraid of taking chemistry?
(a) She does not think her brain can handle learning the periodic table.
(b) She does not like Mr. Manzi's teaching style.
(c) She cannot stand reducing life to numbers and formulas.
(d) She does not want to take the lab requirement.
3. What keeps Esther and Doreen from attending the magazine party?
(a) They do not want to spend time with the magazine staff.
(b) They do not want to spend time with Betsy and the other girls from the Amazon.
(c) They decide to go to a bar for drinks with Lenny and Frankie.
(d) Their cab is stuck in traffic and they do not arrive until the party is over.
4. Doreen tells Lenny she will go to his apartment only if---
(a) Frankie will not be there.
(b) Lenny will pay for the girls' drinks.
(c) Esther/Elly will accompany her.
(d) Lenny will order her another old fashioned.
5. Who helped foster Esther's appreciation for fine food?
(a) Her grandfather
(c) Her mother
(d) Her grandmother
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esther hope she will be paired up with Lenny instead of Frankie?
2. Which of the following best describes Lenny and Doreen's dancing?
3. What does Esther find outside of her door the morning after Doreen came home drunk?
4. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
5. What does Jay Cee suggest that Esther do to distinguish herself from other women applying to be magazine editors?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)