|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Esther from committing suicide with the cord from her mother's robe?
(a) Her mother comes home and finds her.
(b) Her hands release the cord before she loses consciousness.
(c) She decides it is much nobler to die by cutting her wrists.
(d) The cord breaks as she is tying it in a noose.
2. What does Esther do to help herself feel better after the botched night with Doreen and Lenny?
(a) She calls her mother for moral support.
(b) She smokes a cigarette.
(c) She takes a hot bath.
(d) She has a drink.
3. What disheartens Esther the most about Jay Cee's suggestions for bolstering her career?
(a) Esther has no room in her senior schedule to take language courses.
(b) Esther cannot afford to take additional language courses.
(c) Esther believed she was a strong writer, but Jay Cee tells her she is not.
(d) Esther believed that her thesis on Finnegan's Wake was her ticket to getting a job as an editor.
4. Why can't Marco marry the woman he is in love with?
(a) She is going to be a nun
(b) Her parents will not allow them to be married.
(c) She does not love him.
(d) She is in love with someone else.
5. What is keeping Esther from telling Buddy that she has no intention of marrying him?
(a) Her commitment to the magazine
(b) His illness
(c) He is attending medical school and she does not want to distract him.
(d) Fear of his mother's response
Short Answer Questions
1. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
2. What does Esther do to let Constantin know she is interested in having sex with him?
3. What sorts of foods does Esther say she likes the best?
4. Why does Jody call Esther?
5. What does Marco remind Esther of?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)