|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther take her history book with her when she receives the phone call that Buddy is at her dorm?
(a) She does not know who is there to visit and plans to read her history book if he is boring.
(b) She does not know who is there to visit and wants to be able to go to the library if the boy is horrific.
(c) She plans to stop by the library after talking with Buddy.
(d) She wants Buddy to see that she is a studious person.
2. What does Constantin say is the most difficult aspect of simultaneous translation?
(a) The speed at which the ambassadors speak
(b) The idioms
(c) Understanding the ambassadors' accents
(d) The verb conjugations
3. What "trick" do Betsy, Hilda and the other girls learn at the fur show?
(a) How to repair a mink neckerchief using a gold chain
(b) How to make an inexpensive fur coat look more expensive
(c) How to purchase high quality furs for a low price
(d) How to make a neckerchief out of mink tails
4. What does Esther do to offend the driver of the first cab she rides in?
(a) She tips him well below the standard rate.
(b) She criticizes his erratic driving.
(c) She vomits in his cab.
(d) She fails to tip him because she does not understand she needs to tip service people.
5. What surprises Esther the most about Marco?
(a) His cruelty
(b) His unwillingness to give her the diamond
(c) His aggression
(d) His honesty
Short Answer Questions
1. For Esther the world is divided along the lines of---
2. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
3. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
4. What does Constantin ask Esther to do when they go to his apartment?
5. How often does Buddy commit to seeing Esther once they begin dating?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)