|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what are the men waiting in camp?
2. What has happened to several of the dogs other than Lion on the hunting trips?
3. Ike's father and uncle were __________.
4. A black man comes to the family farm and declares his intention to marry a black girl named _____________ who lives there.
5. Where do the men have to follow Old Ben after the dogs find his trail?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding Old Ben. What does Old Ben symbolize for the men? Cite two examples of symbolism regarding Old Ben.
Essay Topic 3
The scene where Old Ben is killed is the climax of the story and also a turning point for Ike in a few ways. Evaluate the scene and cite at least three ways that indicate that Ike is maturing and changing.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)