|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man that kills Old Ben?
2. How old is the narrator when he goes on his first hunting trip?
3. What does Ike take in place of his gun when he returns to look for Old Ben?
4. Why does Ike throw down his gun during the attack on Old Ben?
5. How many times is Old Ben spotted that first day of that hunting season?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ike reticent to return to the farm with his wife?
2. Who is Lucas Quintus and why does Ike feel his grandfather is responsible for him and others?
3. What is Sam's plan for training Lion?
4. Describe Lion.
5. What is the setting for this story?
6. What happens when Ike leaves his gun behind the next day?
7. Describe Lion's death the next day.
8. What do Ike and McCaslin discuss as they look at their land and what is Ike's opinion of what his grandfather actually purchased when he bought the land?
9. Describe how Ike ambushed Old Ben one day and how it ended?
10. What did Ike learn about pride and humility from Sam Fathers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Boon. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ike and his cousin, McCaslin. How are they different? How are they similar? What beliefs do they have in common and what beliefs separate them?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)