Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day Old Ben is killed started with _______________.
2. How much does the dog weigh?
3. Ike takes his new gun and ______________ with him when he goes out to look for Old Ben.
4. What does Ike take in place of his gun when he returns to look for Old Ben?
5. What is missing from camp when Ike is 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the anecdote that Ike recalls about taking the train into the wilderness?
2. What is the story about the missing colt during the hunting season when Ike is 14?
3. How does Ike try to make sense out of the Civil War?
4. What is Sam's plan for training Lion?
5. Describe the story that Ike tells about a black girl named Fornsiba.
6. How does Sam react after Old Ben is killed?
7. What is the doctor's appraisal of Lion, Boon and Sam?
8. Describe how Lion and Boon kill Old Ben.
9. What are the circumstances that make Ike and Boon miss the train in Memphis?
10. What is the setting for the beginning of Chapter 3?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story THE BEAR? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
The scene where Old Ben is killed is the climax of the story and also a turning point for Ike in a few ways. Evaluate the scene and cite at least three ways that indicate that Ike is maturing and changing.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)