|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many years later, Ike thinks that Sam must have been glad about what?
2. In what month do the men go on their annual trips to hunt Old Ben?
3. What is Ike able to smell in the woods?
4. Which of the following does Ike not recall about his first hunting trip?
5. What does Ike think of Old Ben when he finally sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reasoning for Sam's training method?
2. How does Sam react after Old Ben is killed?
3. To what does Ike compare the time he is first allowed to go on the hunts?
4. Describe the story that Ike tells about a black girl named Fornsiba.
5. Describe how Lion and Boon kill Old Ben.
6. What happens when Ike leaves his gun behind the next day?
7. What does Ike believe God's intentions are for land?
8. How does Ike describe Boon?
9. Describe the humorous scene in which Ike finds Boon trying to fix his gun to shoot squirrels.
10. Many years later, what does Ike realize about Sam and the colt and about Sam's life in general?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man vs. nature. Identify at least two themes about man vs. nature in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the discord between Ike and his wife about returning to the family plantation. What were their opposing positions? Is Ike being rational or irrational in his stance?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)