|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ike see when he looks up from pondering the ground around him?
2. The day Old Ben is killed started with _______________.
3. What behavior does the dog exhibit?
4. In what month is Old Ben killed?
5. Ike notices that the dogs on the hunt can't find _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What city is Ike and Boon's ultimate destination and where do they stop first?
2. Describe what Ike finds in the area with the two graves.
3. Who is the bear in THE BEAR?
4. Many years later, what does Ike realize about Sam and the colt and about Sam's life in general?
5. Who is sent for a doctor to tend to Boon and Lion after Old Ben is killed?
6. How does Sam introduce Lion who comes to be part of the hunting team?
7. Who is the narrator and what does he share with the reader at the beginning of the book?
8. What is the setting for this story?
9. Describe the story that Ike tells about a black girl named Fornsiba.
10. What is the doctor's appraisal of Lion, Boon and Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The wilderness takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the discord between Ike and his wife about returning to the family plantation. What were their opposing positions? Is Ike being rational or irrational in his stance?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)