|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ike think of Old Ben when he finally sees him?
2. What color eyes does the dog have?
3. What behavior does the dog exhibit?
4. How old is the narrator of the story?
5. Why does the group return to camp the following summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ike feel that he shared the same ancestry with the family's slaves?
2. How does Sam react after Old Ben is killed?
3. How old is Ike at the beginning of Chapter 2 and what are some of his wilderness accomplishments?
4. What did Ike learn about freedom from Old Ben?
5. What is the anecdote that Ike recalls about taking the train into the wilderness?
6. How has Old Ben become an integral part of Ike's life?
7. How does the author use a flashback to reveal information through the narrator?
8. What do Ike and McCaslin discuss as they look at their land and what is Ike's opinion of what his grandfather actually purchased when he bought the land?
9. What is the setting for the beginning of Chapter 3?
10. What unusual behavior did his father and uncle exhibit regarding the family slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Create a brief character study of Sam Fathers. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2Explain the discord between Ike and his wife about returning to the family plantation. What were their opposing positions? Is Ike being rational or irrational in his stance?
Essay Topic 3The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man vs. nature. Identify at least two themes about man vs. nature in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)