|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is missing from camp when Ike is 14?
2. With what has Ike become familiar during his time as a woodsman?
3. The day Old Ben is killed started with _______________.
4. When Ike is at his hunting stand-alone, he hears a gunshot and knows that ______________ has been shot.
5. What is another reason Ike thinks Sam must be glad his life is almost over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Sam give Ike the next hunting season regarding his gun?
2. Many years later, what does Ike realize about Sam and the colt and about Sam's life in general?
3. Why are Ike and Boon sent to town and who takes them to the railroad?
4. To what does Ike compare the time he is first allowed to go on the hunts?
5. How has Old Ben become an integral part of Ike's life?
6. What is the anecdote that Ike recalls about taking the train into the wilderness?
7. What does Old Ben symbolize and why do Ike and Sam refuse to shoot him?
8. How old is Ike at the beginning of Chapter 2 and what are some of his wilderness accomplishments?
9. Why does Sam think Lion will be perfect to hunt Old Ben?
10. Name some important motifs in this story.
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The reader is introduced to some Native American beliefs and tradition through the character of Sam Fathers. Cite at least three examples of Native American folklore in the book and note why you selected these examples as representative of the Native American culture.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the discord between Ike and his wife about returning to the family plantation. What were their opposing positions? Is Ike being rational or irrational in his stance?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)