|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ike see in his dreams?
2. Who does Ike think is watching him in the woods?
3. Who is the cook on the hunting trip?
4. Ike takes his new gun and ______________ with him when he goes out to look for Old Ben.
5. Which of the following does Boon not do for Lion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Ike first encounters Old Ben?
2. What is more important to Faulkner that chronology in this story?
3. How does the author use foreshadowing to begin Chapter 2?
4. What is the setting for the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. What unusual behavior did his father and uncle exhibit regarding the family slaves?
6. Who is the bear in THE BEAR?
7. Who is Lucas Quintus and why does Ike feel his grandfather is responsible for him and others?
8. What is the story about the missing colt during the hunting season when Ike is 14?
9. Describe how Lion and Boon kill Old Ben.
10. How old is Ike at the beginning of Chapter 2 and what are some of his wilderness accomplishments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story regarding Old Ben. What does Old Ben symbolize for the men? Cite two examples of symbolism regarding Old Ben.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Sam Fathers. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The scene where Old Ben is killed is the climax of the story and also a turning point for Ike in a few ways. Evaluate the scene and cite at least three ways that indicate that Ike is maturing and changing.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)