|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another reason Ike thinks Sam must be glad his life is almost over?
2. When Ike is at his hunting stand-alone, he hears a gunshot and knows that ______________ has been shot.
3. Who is the dog that hunts Old Ben?
4. What does Ike say is present on all the hunting trips?
5. What does Sam have shut in his hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sam's plan for training Lion?
2. Who is the bear in THE BEAR?
3. How does the author use a flashback to reveal information through the narrator?
4. What is the setting for the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. Many years later, what does Ike realize about Sam and the colt and about Sam's life in general?
6. How has Old Ben become an integral part of Ike's life?
7. What city is Ike and Boon's ultimate destination and where do they stop first?
8. What memory of Ash trying to shoot does Ike recall as he walks into the woods?
9. What does Ike believe to be the story behind the $1,000 legacy?
10. What does the train now symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Old Ben. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Old Ben in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ike and his cousin, McCaslin. How are they different? How are they similar? What beliefs do they have in common and what beliefs separate them?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)