|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the narrator been hunting?
2. Which of the following does Boon not do for Lion?
3. How old is the narrator of the story?
4. How old is the narrator when he goes on his first hunting trip?
5. Which of the following is not attributed to Old Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Ike finds in the area with the two graves.
2. What does Ike mean when he says there is no death?
3. How does Ike try to make sense out of the Civil War?
4. How does Ike feel that he shared the same ancestry with the family's slaves?
5. To what does Ike compare the time he is first allowed to go on the hunts?
6. What does Ike believe God's intentions are for land?
7. What are the circumstances in which Ike first encounters Old Ben?
8. What is the doctor's appraisal of Lion, Boon and Sam?
9. What is the anecdote that Ike recalls about taking the train into the wilderness?
10. Describe Boon's relationship with Lion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sam Fathers. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man vs. nature. Identify at least two themes about man vs. nature in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sam's evolving relationship with Ike. How does he gently guide him into becoming a man and being able to shoot and hunt properly? How does Sam teach Ike to live with peace and dignity and with respect for nature?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)