|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ike do when he becomes lost in the wilderness?
2. How many times is Old Ben spotted that first day of that hunting season?
3. What does Ike see in his dreams?
4. Sam's plan is to alternate feeding and starving the dog until ____________________.
5. In what month of the following year does the group return to the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sam think Lion will be perfect to hunt Old Ben?
2. How does Sam react after Old Ben is killed?
3. What are the circumstances in which Ike first encounters Old Ben?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing to begin Chapter 2?
5. What is the setting for the beginning of Chapter 3?
6. How old is Ike at the beginning of Chapter 4 and what is the setting for the chapter?
7. To what does Ike compare the time he is first allowed to go on the hunts?
8. How does Ike feel that he shared the same ancestry with the family's slaves?
9. What unusual behavior did his father and uncle exhibit regarding the family slaves?
10. Where does Ike meet Major deSpain for the last time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man vs. nature. Identify at least two themes about man vs. nature in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
The wilderness takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ike and his cousin, McCaslin. How are they different? How are they similar? What beliefs do they have in common and what beliefs separate them?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)