|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dog doing in Sam's hut?
2. What does General Compson say happened to the colt?
3. What is Ike able to smell in the woods?
4. Where does Major deSpain want to make Lion sleep?
5. How old is the narrator when he goes on his first hunting trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ike leaves his gun behind the next day?
2. How does Ike try to make sense out of the Civil War?
3. Who is sent for a doctor to tend to Boon and Lion after Old Ben is killed?
4. How does Sam react after Old Ben is killed?
5. Describe Lion's death the next day.
6. Describe the humorous scene in which Ike finds Boon trying to fix his gun to shoot squirrels.
7. Describe the mysterious circumstances of Sam's death as discovered by the men who return to camp.
8. What does the train now symbolize?
9. What city is Ike and Boon's ultimate destination and where do they stop first?
10. How old is Ike at the beginning of Chapter 2 and what are some of his wilderness accomplishments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story THE BEAR? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding Old Ben. What does Old Ben symbolize for the men? Cite two examples of symbolism regarding Old Ben.
Essay Topic 3
The reader is introduced to some Native American beliefs and tradition through the character of Sam Fathers. Cite at least three examples of Native American folklore in the book and note why you selected these examples as representative of the Native American culture.
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)