|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the narrator of the story?
2. Sam's plan is to alternate feeding and starving the dog until ____________________.
3. Why does Sam say this dog will be able to hunt Old Ben?
4. Who is the man that kills Old Ben?
5. Which of the following does Boon not do for Lion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is sent for a doctor to tend to Boon and Lion after Old Ben is killed?
2. Why does Ike get irritated with Boon and what memory does the experience bring back for Ike?
3. What does Old Ben symbolize and why do Ike and Sam refuse to shoot him?
4. What is the setting for the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. What are the circumstances in which Ike first encounters Old Ben?
6. How does Ike try to make sense out of the Civil War?
7. What are the circumstances that make Ike and Boon miss the train in Memphis?
8. How does the author use a flashback to reveal information through the narrator?
9. Why are Ike and Boon sent to town and who takes them to the railroad?
10. What memory of Ash trying to shoot does Ike recall as he walks into the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ike begins to show signs of maturity as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Ike is growing up and note why you selected the examples.
Essay Topic 2
The wilderness takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)