|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many years later, Ike thinks about the incident and realizes that _________ knew what killed the colt.
2. With what has Ike become familiar during his time as a woodsman?
3. Why does Sam say this dog will be able to hunt Old Ben?
4. What is one of the reasons Ike thinks Sam must be glad his life is almost over?
5. Who is the dog that hunts Old Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ike believe to be the story behind the $1,000 legacy?
2. What does Ike mean when he says there is no death?
3. How has Old Ben become an integral part of Ike's life?
4. What is the doctor's appraisal of Lion, Boon and Sam?
5. What are the circumstances in which Ike first encounters Old Ben?
6. What city is Ike and Boon's ultimate destination and where do they stop first?
7. What memory of Ash trying to shoot does Ike recall as he walks into the woods?
8. How does Sam introduce Lion who comes to be part of the hunting team?
9. Describe the mysterious circumstances of Sam's death as discovered by the men who return to camp.
10. Why are Ike and Boon sent to town and who takes them to the railroad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ike and his cousin, McCaslin. How are they different? How are they similar? What beliefs do they have in common and what beliefs separate them?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Boon. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)