|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ike decides to dedicate his life to the wilderness to learn patience and ______________.
2. Why does Ike throw down his gun during the attack on Old Ben?
3. The day Old Ben is killed started with _______________.
4. How many strangers show up at the camp to watch the first day of the hunt?
5. What does Ike see in his dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Ike compare the earth, Sam and the wilderness?
2. How old is Ike at the beginning of Chapter 2 and what are some of his wilderness accomplishments?
3. Describe Boon's relationship with Lion.
4. What is the doctor's appraisal of Lion, Boon and Sam?
5. What is the final disposition of the camp by Major deSpain?
6. How does Ike describe his feelings of being in the power of the wilderness?
7. Describe the mysterious circumstances of Sam's death as discovered by the men who return to camp.
8. Describe what Ike finds in the area with the two graves.
9. What is the premise of Chapter 5?
10. What is the symbolism of Ike's last trip into the wilderness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader is introduced to some Native American beliefs and tradition through the character of Sam Fathers. Cite at least three examples of Native American folklore in the book and note why you selected these examples as representative of the Native American culture.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sam's evolving relationship with Ike. How does he gently guide him into becoming a man and being able to shoot and hunt properly? How does Sam teach Ike to live with peace and dignity and with respect for nature?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)