|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ike able to smell in the woods?
2. Which of the following does not describe Ike's dog when Ike ambushed Old Ben?
3. Ike notices that the dogs on the hunt can't find _____________.
4. How does Ike learn patience?
5. Where does Major deSpain want to make Lion sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Ike compare the earth, Sam and the wilderness?
2. Describe the mysterious circumstances of Sam's death as discovered by the men who return to camp.
3. What does Old Ben symbolize and why do Ike and Sam refuse to shoot him?
4. Where does Ike meet Major deSpain for the last time?
5. What does Ike believe to be the story behind the $1,000 legacy?
6. How has Old Ben become an integral part of Ike's life?
7. Many years later, what does Ike realize about Sam and the colt and about Sam's life in general?
8. How does Ike describe Boon?
9. What is the premise of Chapter 5?
10. How does Ike feel that he shared the same ancestry with the family's slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding Old Ben. What does Old Ben symbolize for the men? Cite two examples of symbolism regarding Old Ben.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)