|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the men finds the dead colt?
2. What does Ike see when he looks up from pondering the ground around him?
3. Which of the following is not attributed to Old Ben?
4. What does Ike take in place of his gun when he returns to look for Old Ben?
5. Where does Major deSpain want to make Lion sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ike reticent to return to the farm with his wife?
2. Who is Lucas Quintus and why does Ike feel his grandfather is responsible for him and others?
3. How old is Ike at the beginning of Chapter 2 and what are some of his wilderness accomplishments?
4. Describe Lion.
5. Describe how Ike ambushed Old Ben one day and how it ended?
6. Describe what Ike finds in the area with the two graves.
7. Why does Ike get irritated with Boon and what memory does the experience bring back for Ike?
8. What is more important to Faulkner that chronology in this story?
9. What does Ike believe to be the story behind the $1,000 legacy?
10. How does Ike try to make sense out of the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scene where Old Ben is killed is the climax of the story and also a turning point for Ike in a few ways. Evaluate the scene and cite at least three ways that indicate that Ike is maturing and changing.
Essay Topic 2
Ike begins to show signs of maturity as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Ike is growing up and note why you selected the examples.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)