|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Old Ben run the other bears off?
2. The following November, who shoots at Old Ben and draws blood?
3. Why does the group return to camp the following summer?
4. Why does Ike throw down his gun during the attack on Old Ben?
5. What does Sam have shut in his hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ike get irritated with Boon and what memory does the experience bring back for Ike?
2. Many years later, what does Ike realize about Sam and the colt and about Sam's life in general?
3. What unusual behavior did his father and uncle exhibit regarding the family slaves?
4. Why are Ike and Boon sent to town and who takes them to the railroad?
5. Who is the bear in THE BEAR?
6. Describe Lion.
7. What does Ike believe to be the story behind the $1,000 legacy?
8. What is the setting for this story?
9. What does Old Ben symbolize and why do Ike and Sam refuse to shoot him?
10. What advice does Sam give Ike the next hunting season regarding his gun?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ike and his cousin, McCaslin. How are they different? How are they similar? What beliefs do they have in common and what beliefs separate them?
Essay Topic 2
THE BEAR is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)