|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ike learn patience?
2. What behavior does the dog exhibit?
3. Which of the following does Boon not do for Lion?
4. What does General Compson say happened to the colt?
5. The following November, who shoots at Old Ben and draws blood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lucas Quintus and why does Ike feel his grandfather is responsible for him and others?
2. What is the premise of Chapter 5?
3. What does Ike believe to be the story behind the $1,000 legacy?
4. How does the author use a flashback to reveal information through the narrator?
5. What is the setting for this story?
6. What is the reasoning for Sam's training method?
7. What happens when Ike leaves his gun behind the next day?
8. Describe how Ike ambushed Old Ben one day and how it ended?
9. What is the final disposition of the camp by Major deSpain?
10. How does Ike describe Boon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader is introduced to some Native American beliefs and tradition through the character of Sam Fathers. Cite at least three examples of Native American folklore in the book and note why you selected these examples as representative of the Native American culture.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)