|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not go on the narrator's first hunting trip?
2. What do Ike and Sam come across when riding together?
3. To what does Ike compare his first hunting trip?
4. How many times is Old Ben spotted that first day of that hunting season?
5. In what month of the following year does the group return to the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reasoning for Sam's training method?
2. How does Ike try to make sense out of the Civil War?
3. How does Ike describe Boon?
4. What did Ike learn about freedom from Old Ben?
5. To what does Ike compare the earth, Sam and the wilderness?
6. Describe the mysterious circumstances of Sam's death as discovered by the men who return to camp.
7. What is Sam's plan for training Lion?
8. How does Sam introduce Lion who comes to be part of the hunting team?
9. Who is sent for a doctor to tend to Boon and Lion after Old Ben is killed?
10. Describe what Ike finds in the area with the two graves.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story THE BEAR? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)