|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ike take in place of his gun when he returns to look for Old Ben?
2. To what does Ike compare his first hunting trip?
3. Sam's plan is to alternate feeding and starving the dog until ____________________.
4. The opening line of Chapter 2 is "So he should have hated and feared _____________."
5. What does Ike think of Old Ben when he finally sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Ike ambushed Old Ben one day and how it ended?
2. Why is Ike reticent to return to the farm with his wife?
3. How does Ike describe Boon?
4. What does Ike believe to be the story behind the $1,000 legacy?
5. How does Ike describe the area of the graves as he leaves the place for the last time?
6. What city is Ike and Boon's ultimate destination and where do they stop first?
7. Describe the mysterious circumstances of Sam's death as discovered by the men who return to camp.
8. What is the anecdote that Ike recalls about taking the train into the wilderness?
9. Who is Lucas Quintus and why does Ike feel his grandfather is responsible for him and others?
10. Describe the humorous scene in which Ike finds Boon trying to fix his gun to shoot squirrels.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader is introduced to some Native American beliefs and tradition through the character of Sam Fathers. Cite at least three examples of Native American folklore in the book and note why you selected these examples as representative of the Native American culture.
Essay Topic 2
THE BEAR is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ike. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)