|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not attributed to Old Ben?
2. Who does Ike think is watching him in the woods?
3. Where does Major deSpain want to make Lion sleep?
4. What is the name of the dog Sam is training?
5. How many strangers show up at the camp to watch the first day of the hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. How does Ike describe the area of the graves as he leaves the place for the last time?
3. What advice does Sam give Ike the next hunting season regarding his gun?
4. What does Old Ben symbolize and why do Ike and Sam refuse to shoot him?
5. Who is Lucas Quintus and why does Ike feel his grandfather is responsible for him and others?
6. What is the premise of Chapter 5?
7. What is the final disposition of the camp by Major deSpain?
8. What are the circumstances that make Ike and Boon miss the train in Memphis?
9. How does Sam react after Old Ben is killed?
10. Describe what Ike finds in the area with the two graves.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story THE BEAR? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Sam Fathers. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)