|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the men finds the dead colt?
2. Which of the following is not attributed to Old Ben?
3. What is the dog's color compared to?
4. Ike feels that Sam is a _____________.
5. Ike notices that the dogs on the hunt can't find _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Ike first encounters Old Ben?
2. Who is the bear in THE BEAR?
3. What did Ike learn about pride and humility from Sam Fathers?
4. Why does Ike get irritated with Boon and what memory does the experience bring back for Ike?
5. Describe Lion's death the next day.
6. To what does Ike compare the time he is first allowed to go on the hunts?
7. What unusual behavior did his father and uncle exhibit regarding the family slaves?
8. What is the final disposition of the camp by Major deSpain?
9. Who is the narrator and what does he share with the reader at the beginning of the book?
10. What city is Ike and Boon's ultimate destination and where do they stop first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ike begins to show signs of maturity as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Ike is growing up and note why you selected the examples.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the discord between Ike and his wife about returning to the family plantation. What were their opposing positions? Is Ike being rational or irrational in his stance?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)