|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the dog Sam is training?
2. Which of the following does not describe Ike's feelings when he compares himself to the timeless woods?
3. Who is the dog that hunts Old Ben?
4. What color eyes does the dog have?
5. Why does Sam say this dog will be able to hunt Old Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the bear in THE BEAR?
2. Describe Lion.
3. How does the author use foreshadowing to begin Chapter 2?
4. What did Ike learn about freedom from Old Ben?
5. What is the symbolism of Ike's last trip into the wilderness?
6. What is the final disposition of the camp by Major deSpain?
7. What city is Ike and Boon's ultimate destination and where do they stop first?
8. What unusual behavior did his father and uncle exhibit regarding the family slaves?
9. Name some important motifs in this story.
10. What is the doctor's appraisal of Lion, Boon and Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story THE BEAR? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The scene where Old Ben is killed is the climax of the story and also a turning point for Ike in a few ways. Evaluate the scene and cite at least three ways that indicate that Ike is maturing and changing.
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)