|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the men develops a liking for Lion when the next November hunting trip comes around?
2. What behavior does the dog exhibit?
3. How many strangers show up at the camp to watch the first day of the hunt?
4. Which of the following does Boon not do for Lion?
5. Ike decides to dedicate his life to the wilderness to learn patience and ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is more important to Faulkner that chronology in this story?
2. What is the premise of Chapter 5?
3. What is the final disposition of the camp by Major deSpain?
4. Describe Lion's death the next day.
5. What is the setting for the beginning of Chapter 3?
6. How does Sam react after Old Ben is killed?
7. Describe how Ike ambushed Old Ben one day and how it ended?
8. What is the anecdote that Ike recalls about taking the train into the wilderness?
9. How does Ike describe the area of the graves as he leaves the place for the last time?
10. Why are Ike and Boon sent to town and who takes them to the railroad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sam's evolving relationship with Ike. How does he gently guide him into becoming a man and being able to shoot and hunt properly? How does Sam teach Ike to live with peace and dignity and with respect for nature?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ike. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story THE BEAR? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)