|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Old Ben elude the hunters?
(a) Going down the river.
(b) Crossing the river.
(c) Going over the falls.
(d) Disappearing into a cave.
2. Who is the cook on the hunting trip?
3. Why does Sam tell Ike that Old Ben stays away from him?
(a) Because Ike can smell him.
(b) Because he likes Ike.
(c) Because he doesn't like humans.
(d) Because of his gun.
4. How long has the narrator been hunting?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 6 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) All his life.
5. How much does the dog weigh?
(a) 150 pounds.
(b) 75 pounds.
(c) 90 pounds.
(d) 50 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ike takes his new gun and ______________ with him when he goes out to look for Old Ben.
2. How old is the narrator of the story?
3. Whose birthdays are celebrated when the men return to camp in the summer?
4. What is the name of the dog Sam is training?
5. When Ike is at his hunting stand-alone, he hears a gunshot and knows that ______________ has been shot.
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Sam give Ike the next hunting season regarding his gun?
2. What did Ike learn about freedom from Old Ben?
3. What did Ike learn about pride and humility from Sam Fathers?
4. What memory of Ash trying to shoot does Ike recall as he walks into the woods?
5. What are the circumstances that make Ike and Boon miss the train in Memphis?
6. What is the symbolism of Ike's last trip into the wilderness?
7. What is the anecdote that Ike recalls about taking the train into the wilderness?
8. How old is Ike at the beginning of Chapter 4 and what is the setting for the chapter?
9. What is the reasoning for Sam's training method?
10. How does Ike describe his feelings of being in the power of the wilderness?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)