|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam have shut in his hut?
(a) A woman.
(b) An Indian.
(c) A dog.
(d) A child.
2. Who is the dog that hunts Old Ben?
3. Sam's plan is to alternate feeding and starving the dog until ____________________.
(a) He can be touched.
(b) He can trust.
(c) He can be trained.
(d) He can track.
4. What does General Compson say happened to the colt?
(a) It ran away.
(b) It was stolen.
(c) It was shot by mistake.
(d) A panther got it.
5. What is one of the reasons Ike thinks Sam must be glad his life is almost over?
(a) He was really sick.
(b) He was just too tired all the time.
(c) He was sad about the state of the world.
(d) He had no more family still alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ike say is present on all the hunting trips?
2. Who does Ike think is watching him in the woods?
3. Who is the narrator?
4. Whose birthdays are celebrated when the men return to camp in the summer?
5. To what does Ike compare his first hunting trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ike reticent to return to the farm with his wife?
2. To what does Ike compare the time he is first allowed to go on the hunts?
3. What is the reasoning for Sam's training method?
4. Many years later, what does Ike realize about Sam and the colt and about Sam's life in general?
5. What is the doctor's appraisal of Lion, Boon and Sam?
6. How does Ike describe the area of the graves as he leaves the place for the last time?
7. What does the train now symbolize?
8. Name some important motifs in this story.
9. What does Ike believe to be the story behind the $1,000 legacy?
10. What does Old Ben symbolize and why do Ike and Sam refuse to shoot him?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)