|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month do the men go on their annual trips to hunt Old Ben?
2. Whose birthdays are celebrated when the men return to camp in the summer?
(b) Major deSpain and General Compson's.
3. The following November, who shoots at Old Ben and draws blood?
(b) General Compson.
(c) Major deSpain.
4. What do Ike and Sam agree they need to hunt Old Ben?
(a) An Indian tracker.
(b) Better instincts.
(c) The right dog.
(d) A better rifle.
5. What does Sam have shut in his hut?
(a) A child.
(b) A dog.
(c) A woman.
(d) An Indian.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ike learn patience?
2. Why does Old Ben run the other bears off?
3. Ike notices that the dogs on the hunt can't find _____________.
4. When Ike is at his hunting stand-alone, he hears a gunshot and knows that ______________ has been shot.
5. What does Ike think of Old Ben when he finally sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Ike compare the earth, Sam and the wilderness?
2. How does Ike describe the area of the graves as he leaves the place for the last time?
3. What does Ike mean when he says there is no death?
4. Many years later, what does Ike realize about Sam and the colt and about Sam's life in general?
5. What is the setting for this story?
6. Describe Lion's death the next day.
7. How does Sam introduce Lion who comes to be part of the hunting team?
8. What does Old Ben symbolize and why do Ike and Sam refuse to shoot him?
9. What does Ike believe God's intentions are for land?
10. Describe the humorous scene in which Ike finds Boon trying to fix his gun to shoot squirrels.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)