|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the cook on the hunting trip?
2. With what has Ike become familiar during his time as a woodsman?
(b) Bear prints.
(c) Indian trackers.
(d) Runaway slaves.
3. How long has the narrator been hunting?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 6 years.
(d) All his life.
4. Sam says that Lion does not care for ________________-.
5. What is one of the reasons Ike thinks Sam must be glad his life is almost over?
(a) He had no more family still alive.
(b) He was really sick.
(c) He was sad about the state of the world.
(d) He was just too tired all the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe Ike's dog when Ike ambushed Old Ben?
2. Ike decides to dedicate his life to the wilderness to learn patience and ______________.
3. The wild dog is part mastiff and part _____________.
4. What is the bear's name in THE BEAR?
5. After inspecting the tracks, what does General Compson think got the colt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Many years later, what does Ike realize about Sam and the colt and about Sam's life in general?
2. What happens when Ike leaves his gun behind the next day?
3. Describe Lion's death the next day.
4. Describe how Lion and Boon kill Old Ben.
5. Name some important motifs in this story.
6. What is more important to Faulkner that chronology in this story?
7. How has Old Ben become an integral part of Ike's life?
8. Who is the narrator and what does he share with the reader at the beginning of the book?
9. What is the reasoning for Sam's training method?
10. What is the final disposition of the camp by Major deSpain?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)