|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam have shut in his hut?
(a) A woman.
(b) An Indian.
(c) A child.
(d) A dog.
2. Why does Sam say this dog will be able to hunt Old Ben?
(a) He is young.
(b) He cannot be tamed.
(c) He is a trained hunting dog.
(d) He is tenacious.
3. When Ike is at his hunting stand-alone, he hears a gunshot and knows that ______________ has been shot.
(a) A rabbit.
(b) Old Ben.
(c) A buck.
(d) A doe.
4. Ike feels that Sam is a _____________.
5. Ike notices that the dogs on the hunt can't find _____________.
(a) The trail.
(b) Their tails.
(c) Their way home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ike see in his dreams?
2. Which of the men develops a liking for Lion when the next November hunting trip comes around?
3. Where does Major deSpain want to make Lion sleep?
4. Why does Old Ben run the other bears off?
5. What is another reason Ike thinks Sam must be glad his life is almost over?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing to begin Chapter 2?
2. Who is the narrator and what does he share with the reader at the beginning of the book?
3. Describe how Lion and Boon kill Old Ben.
4. Why is Ike reticent to return to the farm with his wife?
5. What is the premise of Chapter 5?
6. What does Ike believe to be the story behind the $1,000 legacy?
7. What is the story about the missing colt during the hunting season when Ike is 14?
8. What do Ike and McCaslin discuss as they look at their land and what is Ike's opinion of what his grandfather actually purchased when he bought the land?
9. What did Ike learn about pride and humility from Sam Fathers?
10. What happens when Ike leaves his gun behind the next day?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)