|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ike learn patience?
(a) By aiming his gun and not shooting.
(b) By walking when he wants to run.
(c) By waiting in the rain.
(d) By waiting out a snowstorm.
2. What does Sam have shut in his hut?
(a) A woman.
(b) An Indian.
(c) A child.
(d) A dog.
3. Many years later, Ike thinks that Sam must have been glad about what?
(a) His life was almost over.
(b) He married a good woman.
(c) He made lots of money.
(d) He killed Old Ben.
4. When Ike is at his hunting stand-alone, he hears a gunshot and knows that ______________ has been shot.
(a) A buck.
(b) A doe.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) Old Ben.
5. What is the dog doing in Sam's hut?
(b) Lying in front of a fire.
(c) Bashing himself against the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the narrator when he goes on his first hunting trip?
2. Who shows up at camp to take Ike home?
3. How old is Buck in Ike in Chapter 2?
4. Which of the following does not describe Ike's dog when Ike ambushed Old Ben?
5. Ike feels that Sam is a _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sam's plan for training Lion?
2. Why are Ike and Boon sent to town and who takes them to the railroad?
3. Many years later, what does Ike realize about Sam and the colt and about Sam's life in general?
4. Name some important motifs in this story.
5. What is the premise of Chapter 5?
6. Describe what Ike finds in the area with the two graves.
7. What is the reasoning for Sam's training method?
8. What is the doctor's appraisal of Lion, Boon and Sam?
9. What does Ike mean when he says there is no death?
10. How does the author use a flashback to reveal information through the narrator?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)