|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sam tell Ike that Old Ben stays away from him?
(a) Because he likes Ike.
(b) Because of his gun.
(c) Because Ike can smell him.
(d) Because he doesn't like humans.
2. Ike feels that Boon is a _______________.
(a) Religious zealot.
(b) Hard worker.
(c) Trustworthy person.
3. How long has the narrator been hunting?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) All his life.
(d) 10 years.
4. What does Ike think of Old Ben when he finally sees him?
(a) He is seriously ugly.
(b) He is cowardly.
(c) He is beautiful.
(d) He is not as big as he has always imagined.
5. Who is the mentor to the narrator?
(a) Sam Feathers.
(b) Sandy Feathers.
(c) Sam Fathers.
(d) Seth Fathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the dog weigh?
2. What do Ike and Sam agree they need to hunt Old Ben?
3. What is the name of the dog Sam is training?
4. Who is the man that kills Old Ben?
5. Which of the following does not describe Ike's dog when Ike ambushed Old Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ike feel that he shared the same ancestry with the family's slaves?
2. What are the circumstances in which Ike first encounters Old Ben?
3. Who is the bear in THE BEAR?
4. How does Ike describe his feelings of being in the power of the wilderness?
5. What do Ike and McCaslin discuss as they look at their land and what is Ike's opinion of what his grandfather actually purchased when he bought the land?
6. What is the symbolism of Ike's last trip into the wilderness?
7. Who is the narrator and what does he share with the reader at the beginning of the book?
8. What did Ike learn about freedom from Old Ben?
9. What did Ike learn about pride and humility from Sam Fathers?
10. Describe how Lion and Boon kill Old Ben.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)