|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the dog's color compared to?
(c) A blued gun barrel.
(d) A chestnut.
2. Ike feels that Sam is a _____________.
3. Ike takes his new gun and ______________ with him when he goes out to look for Old Ben.
(a) A compass.
(b) A bedroll.
(c) A knapsack.
(d) A canteen.
4. What is another reason Ike thinks Sam must be glad his life is almost over?
(a) He had been a slave all his life.
(b) He had lost an arm in the war.
(c) He was in pain all the time.
(d) He had to be a Negro for seventy years.
5. What does Sam have shut in his hut?
(a) An Indian.
(b) A child.
(c) A dog.
(d) A woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many years later, Ike thinks about the incident and realizes that _________ knew what killed the colt.
2. What does Ike take in place of his gun when he returns to look for Old Ben?
3. What does Ike see in his dreams?
4. Which of the following does not describe Ike's dog when Ike ambushed Old Ben?
5. Ike notices that the dogs on the hunt can't find _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Ike compare the time he is first allowed to go on the hunts?
2. Describe how Lion and Boon kill Old Ben.
3. What happens when Ike leaves his gun behind the next day?
4. Describe Boon's relationship with Lion.
5. Why are Ike and Boon sent to town and who takes them to the railroad?
6. What unusual behavior did his father and uncle exhibit regarding the family slaves?
7. Who is the bear in THE BEAR?
8. Describe the mysterious circumstances of Sam's death as discovered by the men who return to camp.
9. What is the story about the missing colt during the hunting season when Ike is 14?
10. What did Ike learn about freedom from Old Ben?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)