|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Ike compare his first hunting trip?
(a) Witnessing his own birth.
(b) Christmas morning.
(c) The first day of summer vacation.
(d) His 10th birthday.
2. Where does Major deSpain want to make Lion sleep?
(a) Chained up to a tree.
(b) In a hut.
(c) With the other dogs.
(d) In a wagon.
3. How long has the narrator been hunting?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 6 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) All his life.
4. What is the name of the dog Sam is training?
5. In what month do the men go on their annual trips to hunt Old Ben?
6. What is the dog doing in Sam's hut?
(a) Bashing himself against the door.
(b) Lying in front of a fire.
7. Why does the group return to camp the following summer?
(a) To go fishing.
(b) To celebrate birthdays.
(c) To build a cabin.
(d) To have a memorial for Ash.
8. Many years later, Ike thinks about the incident and realizes that _________ knew what killed the colt.
(b) General Compson.
(c) Major deSpain.
9. What is Ike able to smell in the woods?
(a) Gun smoke.
(b) Moldy leaves.
(c) The odor of fear.
(d) Old campfires.
10. What behavior does the dog exhibit?
(a) Paces all day and night.
(b) Throws himself against the door repeatedly.
(c) Chews chair legs.
(d) Never stops growling.
11. Many years later, Ike thinks that Sam must have been glad about what?
(a) He married a good woman.
(b) He made lots of money.
(c) He killed Old Ben.
(d) His life was almost over.
12. What does Ike take in place of his gun when he returns to look for Old Ben?
(a) A stick.
(b) A rope.
(c) A knife.
(d) A sword.
13. The wild dog is part mastiff and part _____________.
14. Which of the following does not describe Ike's feelings when he compares himself to the timeless woods?
15. After inspecting the tracks, what does General Compson think got the colt?
(a) A panther.
(b) A human.
(c) A cougar.
(d) A wolf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up at camp to take Ike home?
2. What does Ike see when he looks up from pondering the ground around him?
3. Which of the following does not describe Ike's dog when Ike ambushed Old Ben?
4. Sam's plan is to alternate feeding and starving the dog until ____________________.
5. How old is the narrator of the story?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)