|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Ike killed?
(a) Many birds.
(b) A doe.
(c) Many rabbits.
(d) A buck.
2. What is the bear's name in THE BEAR?
(c) Old Ben.
3. Why does Sam say this dog will be able to hunt Old Ben?
(a) He cannot be tamed.
(b) He is young.
(c) He is a trained hunting dog.
(d) He is tenacious.
4. How long has the narrator been hunting?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 6 years.
(c) All his life.
(d) 3 years.
5. Who is the man that kills Old Ben?
6. What does Ike see in his dreams?
(a) Old Ben.
(b) A hunting dog.
(c) A new rifle.
(d) A pretty girl.
7. What does Ike see when he looks up from pondering the ground around him?
(a) A doe.
(b) An Indian tracker.
(c) Old Ben.
(d) The sky.
8. After inspecting the tracks, what does General Compson think got the colt?
(a) A human.
(b) A cougar.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A panther.
9. Why does Ike throw down his gun during the attack on Old Ben?
(a) To grab his dog.
(b) To run away.
(c) To use his bow and arrow.
(d) To get bullets out of his pocket.
10. What is Ike able to smell in the woods?
(a) Gun smoke.
(b) Moldy leaves.
(c) Old campfires.
(d) The odor of fear.
11. The following November, who shoots at Old Ben and draws blood?
(c) Major deSpain.
(d) General Compson.
12. Which of the following does Ike not recall about his first hunting trip?
(a) Bad food.
(b) A snowstorm.
(c) Practicing to aim his gun.
(d) Rough sheets.
13. Sam's plan is to alternate feeding and starving the dog until ____________________.
(a) He can be touched.
(b) He can track.
(c) He can trust.
(d) He can be trained.
14. Ike feels that Sam is a _____________.
15. The day Old Ben is killed started with _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ike say is present on all the hunting trips?
2. Ike notices that the dogs on the hunt can't find _____________.
3. Many years later, Ike thinks about the incident and realizes that _________ knew what killed the colt.
4. How old is the narrator of the story?
5. Who does Ike think is watching him in the woods?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)