|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is never mentioned in Antonina's memoirs?
2. Where did Szczurcio hide when he escaped his cage?
3. What job did Antonina give Genia to disguise her while she lived at the zoo?
4. During the third winter of the war, which room was the only one in the villa the Zabinskis were able to heat?
5. What percentage of the Orthodox community was lost during World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Magdalena Gross get the cryptonym “Starling”?
2. What reason did Mrs. Dewitzowa give Antonina for sending Magdalena and Maurycy back to the zoo?
3. Why did Jan talk to Rys as though he were a soldier when he confronted the boy about his plan to bomb a haystack?
4. Why do the Poles claim Janusz Korczak as a martyr?
5. Why did Jan and Antonina carry cyanide pills with them?
6. Why was Rys the one usually chosen to deliver meals to Guests staying in animal enclosures?
7. What did Antonina write in her journal that the author said was as close as she ever got to writing about being an orphan?
8. How did Zegota member Janina Buchholtz hide the presence of false papers in her office?
9. Why was Antonina confined to bed for several months?
10. How did the Kenigsweins smuggle their two young boys out of the Ghetto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Maurycy is renamed Pawel (Paul), he gives the hamster a new name, Piotr (Peter), and says they will be like the disciples. Write an essay that explains what Maurycy means by this and what or who they will be disciples of.
Essay Topic 2
Heck’s re-creation of extinct animal species is controversial because of his ties to the Nazis and because some people argue that the animals are merely mixes of breeds and, therefore, not a species themselves. Write a persuasive essay that takes a side in the argument. Use examples from the text and from research to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several Biblical references in describing the villa. Write an essay examining the use of those references and why the author uses them.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)