|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Magdalena compare Antonina to when Jan was praising her for managing the situation with the German soldier during the fire at the barracks?
2. Who were the Sables?
3. Where did historian Ringelblum hide documents that described what happened in Warsaw during the war?
4. Where is Szymon Tenenbaum's insect collection today?
5. What did Antonina do to try to draw less attention to the Kenigsweins so they could be moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Kenigsweins smuggle their two young boys out of the Ghetto?
2. Why do the Poles claim Janusz Korczak as a martyr?
3. Why was Rys the one usually chosen to deliver meals to Guests staying in animal enclosures?
4. Why were the boys hiding in the Pheasant House confused when Rys introduced himself?
5. How did Magdalena Gross get the cryptonym “Starling”?
6. Why did Jan and Antonina carry cyanide pills with them?
7. Why does Ackerman describe Wicek the rabbit as a “fat, furry thug”?
8. How was Mrs. Walter helping Jews to hide?
9. Why did Jan talk to Rys as though he were a soldier when he confronted the boy about his plan to bomb a haystack?
10. What did Antonina write in her journal that the author said was as close as she ever got to writing about being an orphan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ackerman writes about the location and history of Poland prior to World War II. Write an essay explaining why Poland’s location made it a target of the German army and how the history of Poland affected the way the people of Poland dealt with the war and the Holocaust.
Essay Topic 2
How does Ackerman use enemy soldiers to explore the theme of compassion? Why does she include compassionate acts by the soldiers in the book rather than portraying them as purely evil?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several Biblical references in describing the villa. Write an essay examining the use of those references and why the author uses them.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)