|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Janusz Korczak when the deportations to the death camps began?
2. What did Feliks Cywinski say was his happiest moment while rescuing Jews?
3. What did Magdalena compare Antonina to when Jan was praising her for managing the situation with the German soldier during the fire at the barracks?
4. What condition does the author speculate caused Antonina to be bedridden?
5. How did Genia escape when she was sent to Treblinka?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jan talk to Rys as though he were a soldier when he confronted the boy about his plan to bomb a haystack?
2. How did Magdalena Gross get the cryptonym “Starling”?
3. What nearly ruined Jan’s plan to bring Lonia Tenenbaum out of the Ghetto?
4. How was Mrs. Walter helping Jews to hide?
5. Why did the Nazi’s portray Jews with rat-like faces in their propaganda?
6. Why did Antonina consider Fox Man’s cat, Balbina, a good citizen of the villa?
7. Why does Ackerman describe Wicek the rabbit as a “fat, furry thug”?
8. Why did Jan and Antonina carry cyanide pills with them?
9. Why was Antonina confined to bed for several months?
10. Why was Rys the one usually chosen to deliver meals to Guests staying in animal enclosures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the importance of Janusz Korczak to the book. Why does the author include his story? How does the author use his story to develop themes? What impact does his story have on readers?
Essay Topic 2
Wicek and Kuba play important roles in the lives of the Zabinskis as well as in Ackerman’s development of themes and statements about human behavior. Write an essay that explains the importance of these animals, how the author uses them to develop themes, and what she suggests about human behavior through these animals.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the significance of the title of the book. Why did the author choose to write about Antonina rather than Jan? How does making Jan the protagonist of the book support Ackerman’s themes?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)